Box junction fine - Help please

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6353 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I was captured on video at a junction waiting (for all of 3 seconds) in a box junction and have received a £100 fine (£50 if i pay within 2 weeks). Although i feel its pretty unfair as at no point did i block any traffic, i dont think i can argue it.

The thing is though that they have mispelt the name of one of the roads. They have the name as Bows Rd / Green Lanes, however the it is actually Bowes Rd / Green Lanes. Could this technicality void the fine?

Also I was on holiday when the fine was received in the post so i only have almost no time to appeal. Can this be extended if i can prove i was away?

Thank you in advance

Can I just confirm you weren't turning right at the lights where the box junction was, you were turning at the set ahead of that.

If so, I think you're going to have to accept the fine - the highway code says you can be in a box junction if you're turning right and the road you're turning into is clear (and you're just waiting for traffic going straight in the other direction to clear) but otherwise it's no go for box junctions unless you can pass straight over them.

Sorry...

Yeah i was afraid of that. I was effectively reducing congestion because there was plenty of time for us all to turn right, for tfl dont care about that. The mispelling wouldnt count for anything then I take it?

I know that junction well. If you had turned right at the point where they took your photo you would have been driving the wrong way along the North Circular Road!!:D The lane you were in is a filter lane for turning right on to the NCR and heading down towards Edmonton. The highway code does say you can enter a box junction if you are turning right, but only if your exit is clear. It might be worthwhile asking to see the video evidence they have.

lol i know, i was turning right ahead, but it was the first time i had used that junction so i wasnt quite sure how it worked - it was also 8.30am so it was chaos, as im sure you can imagine. Suppose ill have to pay up.

Thank you for the help Rob S & Batfink

Surely there should be a second photograph? Any single photograph can show a vehicle stationary within the box junction even if it were actually moving

These are cameras manned by full-time staff (in an office in Victoria) and they watch these junctions to make sure that they are clear and keep the traffic moving. However 3 seconds seems harsh but the law is the law and you cannot enter a box junction unless it is clear to proceed, just like roundabouts, which will all eventually be camera'd up.

These are cameras manned by full-time staff (in an office in Victoria) and they watch these junctions to make sure that they are clear and keep the traffic moving. However 3 seconds seems harsh but the law is the law and you cannot enter a box junction unless it is clear to proceed,

Unless turning right and your turn is blocked by oncoming traffic

just like roundabouts, which will all eventually be camera'd up.

There is no specific offence of blocking a roundabout, unless it has box junction markings.

In any case, if I were the OP, I would demand a copy of the video of the offence - the photograph proves nothing.

• 1 month later...

There was an article with photo in Haringey advertiser or independent which said that someone won an appeal at PTAS related to this junction becasue a double box junction such as this does not exisit in Highwya code - i.e. there are no rules relating to how it should be navigated.

Unfortunately, I cannot find my paper copy (it was in November) nor a web reference).

Can anyone confirm this and provide the full tribunal story?

You ARE permitted to wait in a box junction if you are turning right but are blocked by oncoming traffic.

Absolutely, with the proviso that your exit point is clear when you finally get an opportunity to turn.