I used to work at MBNA...

Joe Blow
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4889 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

About a year ago I left MBNA having worked there for 3 years.

I was a debt collector there and after reading all these threads I felt I should give some information that might be useful (and might have already been posted)

First off, account managers (like I was was) are based in a big call centre and usually start at 120 days of delinquency up to 180 days. When I was there there was also an area called 'Debt Clear' which had a fake routed phone number and address but was actually next to 180 days and some people actually sat next to each from these different companies!

Debt Clear could basically get away with a lot more abuse on the phone often using their own phones to send texts to customers saying there would be baliffs if they didn't make a payment by the end of the day.

Very high paid floor managers would ask account managers to be more aggresive in their collecting over the phone and with letters etc at the end of the month due to huge pressures from investors. I've seen managers (often earning less than me after bonuses etc) come out of meeting crying after talks with THEIR managers (we all answer to someone don't we?) because their 'team' hadn't collected enough money.

We would be given £5 notes (surely this is illegal and a tax issue?!) on the spot for getting debit card payments to stop an account from being charged off and sold to a debt collection agency (often sold for 10p of every £1) We would be given beers and bottles of wine for collecting money at the end of the month when figures had to be hit.

Now, we would often do short settlements before charge off as long as we were making more than selling it to a debt collection agency.

If we couldn't contact customers we had a list of every number they had called from and call them trying to trick the person we were speaking to that we were their friend. We would call neighbours but were never allowed to say where we were calling from or ask to pass on a message. Instead we were told to try and stay on the phone saying we really needed to contact them until they OFFERED.

It's funny because I recognise a lot of the names on the letters people have posted on here and love their new fancy titles with their template letters and feel sorry that they haven't moved out of their tiny cubicle despite being 'promoted'.

Like a lot of credit card companies, MBNA makes a lot of money which like always goes to the head honchos (one guy even got driven to work in a Bentley from Chester to the business park) who make a lot of money when their job is to bully those in positions lower than them to get more money and make them feel worthless if they couldn't do it. In the meantime, there are hundreds of thousands of customers struggling, worrying, thinking of suicide (we'd have to be careful when calling these) and developing medical conditions due to stress (we had a team of people who called people we weren't really allowed to call and had to be tactful) while these charges add up by the day and gain interest.

If there's anything anyone wants to know please leave a question and I'll try to remember. I'm about to start my own little war with my credit card companies.

• Haha 1

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi

Quick question regarding MBNA posts codes as I will be in court soon with a DCA who have 2 copies of agreements from MBNA one with the signature on that shows the MBNA address with a CH4 9FB and he one with the prescribed terms that shows the MBNA address with a CH4 9QQ.

I know the DCA solicitor will try to prove the 2 documents are linked but I wondered if the postcodes could be used to prove that these were seperate departments and relating to different sides of the business and wouldn't appear in the same document....thats going to be my argument anyway but it would be good to know what depts these postcode relate to.....hope this makes sense...

Live Life-Debt Free

I'm afraid I don't remember the postcodes. I'm pretty sure they all end up at the same place to be honest. I know there is a postal room in the side of the building and then a sorting room to determine where it goes in the building and is then again dealt with a correspondence team in that area.

Thanks for that Joe, I've posted a thread today about MBNA contacting me on my phone about my other half. I had gathered that it was because because he used my phone to call and make a payment.

I'm afraid I've shouted at a few of your ex-colleagues today.

Should they take my number off the system as I've asked, or as they told me the account holder needs to call and request it?

I wouldn't worry about shouting at them.

To be honest, I remember if there were notes on the system about calls causing stress and anxiety and depression we could NOT call them.

Go to your doctor, tell him you need a note to say the calls are causing you anxiety and stress and send it recorded delivery to MBNA.

The amount of calls is their tactic. You will notice loads a the end of the month.

Edited by Joe Blow

Most interesting, Joe. My MBNA account has now been sold, but I am still dealing with my OH's for her, and your info is useful.

Whilst I was in correspondence with MBNA, I received letters from various people who were all apparently 'Head of Customer Assistance' - do they all exist?

Thanks for sharing all that Joe. We had lots of run ins with MBNA including the call to the neighbours which I have mentioned more than once on CAG. My OH went absolutely nuts with whoever was on the other end. I think they were probably the worst of all my creditors in terms of hassle and threats.

BANK CHARGES

Nat West Bus Acct £1750 reclaim - WON

LTSB Bus Acct £1650 charges w/o against o/s balance - WON

Halifax Pers Acct £1650 charges taken from benefits - WON

Others

GE Money sec loan - £1900 in charges - settlement agreed

GE Money sec loan - ERC of £2.5K valid for 15 years - on standby

FirstPlus - missold PPI of £20K for friends - WON

Interesting info Joe. Thanks.

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Hi Joe,

I have offered an amount in full and final to MBNA. They keep writing back with thanks for offer which has been accepted in partial settlement ... we wont pursue the balance ... will register with CRB for 6 years etc etc.

Is this the truth?? If I pay up will they leave me alone? Not bothered about the CRB record.

Thanks,

fernack,

Do you mean CRB or CRA? There's a world of difference!

Regards.

Fred

Before you criticise another man you should first walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you criticise him, you'll be a mile away and he won't have any shoes on.

Don't get me confused with somebody knowledgeable by all those green blobs. I got most of them by making people laugh.

I am not European, I am English.

thanks for this- I can honestly say I dealt with loads of different companies and most were reasonable, apart from MBNA. I used to work in a call centre and make it a point of not losing it with the person on the end of the phone as I know what it can be like- the only times I have ever shouted at call centre operators was MBNA. I am not at all surprised at the conditions you describe- now I tell anyone thinking of getting a card to steer clear of MBNA regardless of a 0% offer or any perks.

Hey Joe, ive had lots of calls, letters and even post cards.... They tell my mum its a friend i met over the weekend etc... Its crazy! I have decided to ignor everything until they sell the debt and i can deal with real people. Do you think they will do this fast or just carry on from your experiance? Or do you think i should talk to them?

Any info would be great.

Cheers

MG

• 6 months later...

Thought it might help to bring this back.

Yes, MBNA do offer short settlements in 180 days of delinquency usually. Usually it's offering to remove 60% of the debt. It's basically like a default on your credit file but then again, so is a debt management plan.

As for the numbers, everytime you call MBNA, they will keep a record of the number. Even if you use it for an automated service, they link the account number to the number. That's why they might call your family, mates or girlfriend etc if you've used their phone once.

They will also call neighbours and ask for you but can't ask if they have your number. If your neighbour offers to give it to them, they will call you.

Sometimes, the money hungry collectors who want the big bonuses will make threats using the mobile phones there. Sometimes saying about baliffs etc. If I was you I'd record every call, if they say something they shouldn't they're in trouble basically.

The real managers know the collectors are doing things they shouldn't do, they just don't want to know about it.

I've actually found MBNA okay to deal with. Then again, I know what they're doing inside out.

Hi Joe

So when they sell the account to say the likes of ARROW, who is really controlling the account Arrow or MBNA or are they the same. Who would is advise is the best person to write to at MBNA when they have no agreement and you want results from them.

If it's actually sold and past 180 days, it has nothing to do with MBNA. There are cases sometimes when MBNA might take the debt back if it's a huge debt and has come to some sort of agreement with the debter.

Joe,

From your experience, how far do MBNA push it if they know they don't have an enforceable or properly-executed agreement?

Regards.

Fred

Edited by Fred Bassett

Before you criticise another man you should first walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you criticise him, you'll be a mile away and he won't have any shoes on.

Don't get me confused with somebody knowledgeable by all those green blobs. I got most of them by making people laugh.

I am not European, I am English.

Hi Joe,

I'm currentley having problems with MBNA over a missing payment, they have received the payment but have "lost" it, and havn't credited it to my account. What charges do they make other than the usual late fees?. I ask this because on my recent statements the "arrears" are more than just late payment fees.

Regards,

James

Hi Joe

We hear lots of anecdotes on both this forum & locally (I live in Chester) about the 'cosy' relationship between MBNA & Chester TS. Do you know what the postion is? eg. 1. do MBNA laugh at debtors reporting matters to TS?

2. what is the best way to get your complaint heard by someone prepared to take it seriously?

Any knowledge I possess or advice I proffer is based solely on my experiences in the University of Life. Please make your own assessment of legality, risks & costs before taking any action.