• Tweets

• So if I've understood correctly, you had a meeting with a company who employ PPM to manage their car park, but PPM gave you a ticket and the company refuse to get it cancelled.  Eh???!!! You are being somewhat secretive with the details and it would help us to give correct advice if you would be crystal clear about the story.  Who did you have the meeting with?  What is their address?  Why do you think it was them who called in PPM?  Were you informed about the matter of the permit by this company?  Etc.
    • What a disgraceful shirking of responsibility.  Par for the course though I'm afraid with Iceland. You could get nasty and send them a version of the below (you know the local area so change what needs to be changed). Unfortunately the people who are replying are having to comply with the company policy which is being foisted on them - which is not to cancel tickets. But you might as well send the mail and try.   Dear Cissy, thank you for today's mail. Of course you are "able" to cancel the charge, you simply contact Excel and tell them to cancel the charge. I will wait for exactly 24 hours and then contact the local newspaper XXXXX and the local radio station XXXXX about Iceland's disgraceful disability discrimination.  Nothing much happens in Gravesend so I'm sure both will be happy to do a piece which will generate terrible publicity for your store and drive away customers, which is exactly what you deserve. Yours, XXXXX 
    • You are absolutely right to be cautious. It would be helpful if you will be prepared to send me a private message containing details of the outlet and the address et cetera. It might help me to get things more into perspective. So I understand that you had a business selling your husband's photographs. You were unable to continue your direct involvement and so you made an arrangement with a manager who you trusted to carry on the business for you while you were recovering elsewhere in the country. Is this correct? This manager has possession of all the files of your husband's photographs. Is this correct? Do you have any copies of the files? You made a reference to having a Co-op. Does that mean that you are running a Co-op supermarket or groceries outlet? I don't quite understand here. In terms of the possibility of continuing the arrangement with this manager – my own view is that you need to bring the arrangement to an end and I don't see how you could trust them. As far as I can see you are asking about two issues. Making sure that the files in the manager's position are destroyed so that you regain control of the photographs. Obtaining some damages for the loss of revenue. How many photographs do you believe are in his possession? What you estimate is your loss of revenue so far – probably calculated on your average revenue over, say, the five years before you stopped your involvement in the business? You are talking here not only about a breach of contract. You are talking also about breach of copyright and frankly you're also talking about deliberate copyright infringement – which is a criminal offence. Also fraud. Additionally, if you begin the dispute with this person, I would say that they will probably leave immediately. Have you got somebody else to run the business or would that be the moment that the whole thing collapses? If it is the latter, then this is something else that you need to prepare – somebody to take over as seamlessly as possible   Also, do you know the address of this person – and do they own their own home or any other assets?  
    • Just as i thought (from above post) : i just hope this is not the normal customer service that say they cant do anything and that you have to appeal to excel parking 🙄 this is the response my friend has received today - totally ignoring the subject which was: 'victim of disability discrimination on the part of your agents' does anyone have any ideas to reply with please?     Thank you for your response.   I would like to apologise for the error in the previous email; our CEO, Tarsem Dhaliwal had received your email and tasked ourselves in the Executive Resolution Team with looking into this.   We have raised this with our internal property department who have more information on parking charges and any appeals, we can see that you had appealed the PCN with excel which was rejected, you then appealed the PCN with IAS which was also rejected.   Because of this, we would not be able to cancel or refund the charge.    I understand this may not be the outcome you had hoped for, I am sorry for any inconvenience caused.   Kind regards, Cissy
    • Officials at the Federal Reserve are expected to hold off on any interest rate cuts this month.View the full article
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

American Express Anyone WON ???

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5661 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

Has anyone one against American Express? if so was it:

1) No CCA / Unenforceable CCA

2) Claim for unfair charges

Or have Amex gone away after being challenged?

With my own case with Amex

• CCA Request sent to Newmans
  • Newmans respond "We have closed our file please contact Amex"
  • CCA Request sent to Amex
  • No response after 12+2 days
  • Letter sent disputing account, please respond
  • Heard Nothing back?

Lowell Financial (Monument) No CCA - File Closed ** WON**:D

1st Credit (Citi Financial) No CCA - Credit Report Marked 'Satisfied' ** WON **:D

American Express No CCA - Pending

RBS Mint No CCA - Pending

CL Finance (Morgan Stanley) No CCA - In Court:eek:

HSBC - No CCA - In Court:eek:

Link Financial (MBNA) No CCA - Pending

bump! Anyone have news of a win???:D or Loss:mad:

1st Credit (Citi Financial) No CCA - Credit Report Marked 'Satisfied' ** WON **:D

bump!! Anyone news of a win???:-?

bump!! Anyone news of a win???:-?

Sadly you will find not.................I am not sure why?

I received this today from my local TS:

Dear Monty

I recall we discussed the provisions of the Consumer Credit Act and the Consumer Credit (Cancellation Notices and Copies of Documents) Regulations 1983 (as amended). According to my records, we discussed the issue of copies of agreements and I showed you Regulation 3 'General requirements as to form and content of copy documents' which sets out, amongst other things, that a number of items may be omitted from a 'true' copy, including 'any signature box, signature or date of signature'.

I recall we discussed that I interpreted this as meaning that a copy of an agreement provided by a creditor in response to a request under S 78 need not be an photocopy or scanned copy of the actual piece of paper you signed, but could be a document showing the terms of the agreement, without the items specified in Regulation 3. I recall seeing at least one document sent to you which seemed to comply with this requirement.

I also have a note to say that, notwithstanding my opinion, if you still felt you had a complaint, you should consider raising it via the Financial Services Ombudsman, as an alternative to court, as this is a free service and I think that the credit companies would be obliged to comply with their decision.

upto the eyeballs, have you looked in the legal or success threads on the forum ?

Monty, CCA 1974, does allow for certain things to be omitted from the document. However, in court they do have to provide the original.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Hi CB, Have been looking all over but can't seem to find anything.

Still awaiting my CCA with Amex, well outside the 12+2 days.

Could you take a look at my other thread

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general-debt-issues/172675-unenforceable-cca-then-what.html

I was expecting a little more input on this considering it affects many people on this site. Maybe I have posted it in the wrong place?

Edited by upto the eyeballs
typo error

Hello upto the eyeballs!

I wouldn't be too pessimistic about Amex. They are no different to any of the other Card bankers. They have to operate within exactly the same Consumer Credit Act 1974 constraints as all of the others, and they seem to be capable of making even worse mistakes than many of the others.

They do not possess a pair of magical Harry Potter underpants that bestows on them any special abilities to win in Court.

Their reputation for knee jerking straight into pompous arrogant aggression may well have more to do with the fragility of their Balance Sheet, than having anything whatsoever to do with the strength of their position.

Indeed, any magical pants they do possess will probably be nappies, given the catastrophic effect that a daily forced diet of Credit Crunchies is having on their already weak and feeble bowels.

Like all bullies, they are not very used to people standing up to them. Thus far they have tried to win via aggression and hostility, but that only works for so long. Eventually they meet people who are not phased by this, and who are prepared to stand up to them and call their bluff.

Also, you need to take into account that Amex are a relatively small player in the UK, at least when compared to all the other Credit Card bankers. Clear evidence of their relative scale is the fact that many places don't accept Amex as a means of Payment.

Merchants tend to be required to pay higher fees when taking Amex in Payment, and they have to go through additional checks and authorisations to get Amex added. So, many just don't bother adding Amex to their Card facilities.

Also, Amex, traditionally, has always pitched their main business towards the more affluent. Thus, it is no surprise that given their smaller market share, and more affluent target market, you just won't see anywhere near as many Amex Threads on CAG as you would see, say, MBNA, Barclaycard, or Capital One etc.

Until recently, CAG did not even have an Amex Forum. Most Amex Threads were spread out all over CAG. I pulled a few Threads together, and the Site Team agreed it was a good idea and the Amex Forum was born. But it is still a relatively new Forum on CAG, and many of the Threads are older Threads that had already gone stale.

So, if you add all of the above together, it is almost inevitable that you will not find many past Amex Threads to review. Likewise, as most of the ones that are now appearing are work in progress, it will be some weeks and months before you start to see the addition of WON at the end of them.

The Amex battle is effectively only just starting, but the momentum is building. The fact that Amex are also now pitching a lot of their business further down market than ever before, means that it won't be too long before you see many more Consumers appearing who have ended up having trouble with this bunch.

But, in answer to your original question, yes, they can be beaten, and yes they will be beaten on exactly the same issues as the other Card bankers.

Here's one CAG Thread as an example:

County Court Summons - Amex**WON IN COURT**

Please do not be put off taking the fight to Amex. They probably have more to lose than most, so their aggression has to be taken with a pinch of salt and seen for what it is: pumped up hollow bravado that they display in the hope that it will force Consumers to capitulate before people realise that they are all mouth and no trousers!

Perhaps you may like to ask the CAG Site Team to edit this Thread Title to:

American Express Anyone WON ??? - YES!

:D

Cheers,

BRW

Excellent BRW - many thanks for pointing this out.

Those of us being pursued by Amex were just curious as to why there were no cases in court or had come through - your explanation provided the answer. I may be the next given I had a Citation this well and will post everything up that I can on my thread, I am based in Scotland though and they make up their own laws up here! (only joking they just want to be different to the English - can't blame them!).

Guest dvdriley

I have an unenforceable cca with AMEX, they sent an invalid default notice and a termination letter. Waiting for their next move but hope, in due couse, to ay I WON

I have an unenforceable cca with AMEX, they sent an invalid default notice and a termination letter. Waiting for their next move but hope, in due couse, to ay I WON

Hi dvdriley

Which DCA's have you been dealing with, do you have a thread for this? It would be interesting to compare notes.

American Express

sorry to hijack this thread but i really dont know of any other way.

Hi All

Very nervous first timer but need your help.

Got myself into debt problems and i dont know what to do really.

Ive read at length many of your threads and to say they were helpfull is an understatement. I still cant beleive that there are other people out there with the same problems of nasty DCA s. I feel so sorry for the people who these **** prey on especially if they are vunerable. I hope you can help me with a question.

I have an american express charge card not one which you pay a bit of each month but one which you have to clear at the end of every month. Ive sent them the CCA letters received a reply from them they state that this card is exempt from the provisions of the consumer credit act 74. They have sent me my application form from 2004. They changed my account over 4 months ago to another account number but i never signed anything then. According to them it was a completley new account. Am trying my best with the rest of the sharks but dont know what to do with this.

Without this forums help we would all be stuffed

I also have a credit card with them which after cca letter they have failed to respond

Would really appreciate your help

Monty, not started a thread yet. I,m dealing with the loveley RMA

Nice, actually I do miss them..........Are you dealing with the lovely:

Natalie Giordimaina

Operations Team Manager

NCO Europe Ltd

Old Docks House, Watery Lane, Preston, England PR2 1AU

Tel: +44 (0)1772 765111

Fax: +44 (0)1772 765152

Email: [email protected]

Or one of her side-kicks.............................

They get rattled very easy, she lost her Amex bonus because of me.;)

What differs between a charge card and credit card. Do they not have to have any details re a charge card. even if they have changed your account after you signed the original application form

Dear Sunnyskies

My understanding is that the Amex charge card is not regulated by the 1974 Consumer Credit Act, there is another thread that is also dealing with an Amex charge card;

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/debt-collection-industry/170536-aic-need-urgent-advice-2.html

I would suggest that you start a new thread entitled, "Amex charge card"

or similar since the Amex cases are relatively new. They will all go the same way though;)