Overpayment & Tax/N.I.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5461 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have received an offer of a repayment plan for an overpayment of £14K over 20 months (jul 07 - mar 09).

The offer states:

1 - gross overpayment amount

2 - gross overpayment amount written off by company

3 - gross overpayment amount outstanding

4 - gross monthly payment to be made for 24 months to repay the outstanding amount.

I contacted my employer and asked them if they would clarify the position in terms of Tax & N.I. as I believe (from CAG advice) that I am only liable to pay back the net amount. The employer has given me the following advice and I'm seeking clarification of this advice from other CAGGERS

'All overpayments and subsequent repayments have to be made a gross amounts as per HMRC guidelines. As we will be deducting the gross amount from your salary, you will receive tax and N.I. relief on the monthly deduction. e.g. if we were to take the proposed amount of £260 per month, you would benefit from tax & N.I. relief of around 29.4% each month'

Your advice would be gratefully received.

Not a area i can help what has ur sol said about this?

OFT debt collection guidance

Please remember the only stupid question is the one you dont ask so dont worry about asking the stupid questions.

Essex girl in pc world looking 4 curtains 4 her pc,the assistant says u dont need curtains 4 a computer!!Essex girl says,''HELLOOO!! i,ve got WINDOWS!!'.

Hi Harrison, just about to update my post for help and thought id check by to see how you were getting on :)

From what i read, the company are going to give you a rebate of 24% odds, is that correct? Or are they refusing to do this? :)

XXX Banking Plc: (Cant Disclose for Legal Reasons at the mo)

Sexual Discrimination/Breach of DPA 1998 Letter before Action Sent : 03/06/2009 :| (Delivered 05/06/2009)

<Response to settle to be received from them no later than 23/06/2009 or court papers filed>

Response received on 25/06/09 but dated 23/06/09

Tribunal CMD to be held via telephone on 31/08/09

Pre-Hearing Review Date to be set

The 24% thing relates to how they are going to make sure that i don't pay tax & N.I. on the repayments. The good news is that the company agreed to wipe off 12 months of the overpayment (about £8K) leaving me with the remaining 8 months to repay (about £6K). However, the bad news is that i might be redundant when i go back to work, I'm currently off sick with stress!! However, this might be good news if the redundancy package is right as i don't really want to commute 3 hours to and from work every day for a company that has treated me the way it has!

How are you getting on with your case?

bump - I would really appreciate some advice about whether the companys reponse re the tax / N.I. position is the kind of response i should have been expecting as i think its very vague

Hmmm, sounds a bit strange; but id try and see what they offer you in terms of a redundancy package.

Case is okish atm, obviously my employer is denying any wrongdoing, so off to court, just need to file the papers; going to see my lawyer 2moz so wish me luck >_

XXX Banking Plc: (Cant Disclose for Legal Reasons at the mo)

Sexual Discrimination/Breach of DPA 1998 Letter before Action Sent : 03/06/2009 :| (Delivered 05/06/2009)

<Response to settle to be received from them no later than 23/06/2009 or court papers filed>

Response received on 25/06/09 but dated 23/06/09

Tribunal CMD to be held via telephone on 31/08/09

Pre-Hearing Review Date to be set