I’m dismantling a van as scrap but it has a wheel clamp attached to it – suggestions?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6006 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have cut through metal using a grinder before, yes.

Lots of noise, lots of sparks, then, clang as the offending bit falls onto the floor.

It would of course be an offence to cut through the one or two links which are holding this clamp on.

If youre dismantling this van for scrap, just dismantle it around the clamp, putting a grinder through the suspension wishbones if you cant undo them due tthe clamp.

(No one ever buys them anyway, they're worth naff all.)

That way, you can give the nice man from the DVLA his clamp back, undamaged and tell him he can keep the wheel! :D

• 2 months later...
Guest 10110001

New information - NOT Guilty!

A few weeks back I was called by a friend early one morning who had been clamped, and didn’t have any money to pay and the clamper threatened to get a tow truck.

I phoned the clamper, paid by credit card and they agree to send someone within the hour to release the car. Hour later no show from the clamper, I phone the bailiff register and credit licensing bureau and find the clamping company is not licensed for consumer credit.

I go to the vehicle with a cordless lobster cutter and cut the top chain and one of the two side chains and pull the clam away from the wheel. All done in under a minute.

As we leave in our cars almost two hours after my original phone call, a clamper van turns up and the operative immediately starts making calls on his mobile and threatens to call the police. I tell him he can phone the police if he so wishes, pointed him to his wheel clamp and left. I phoned my credit card company and completed a chargeback for the full amount £192.09.

A few weeks later my partner was at our tied-a-terre appartment and the police called, I wasn't there so she phoned me and I spoke to an officer over the phone, (I am assumimg my car registration led them to that address as it's not our principle home). He who seemed angry because they had been making numerous previous calls to the apartment finding nobody home. He continued and said that the police are investigating a complaint of theft of a motor vehicle and needed to ask some questions - long story - I told him (the officer) that the clamper had acting unlawfully because he was trading as a wheel clamp operative without a Category A or Cat C consumer credit license, and thus committing a criminal offence under Section 1c of the Theft act 1968. I removed the clamp under the provisions of the Torts (Interference with Goods) Act 1977 and there is no criminal element to this case. It is a civil matter between me and the clamper. The officer said he would be making further enquiries and the call ended.

Its now official that I will not be charged with any offence as I acted lawfully and I’ll ask for the crime number so it can be quoted in cases involving alleged wheel clamp removal.

This is the procedure you must follow before you can lawfully remove a wheel clamp and take your vehicle.

1. Check the bailiff is certificated (name should be on a sticker attached to the vehicle) is certificated by calling the HMCS public register of bailiffs on 0207 210 0516. If certificated then:

2. Check the Firm is licensed for consumer credit, - their postcode should be on the vehicle or on the clamp itself – by calling the Consumer Credit public register 020 7211 8608. If they licensed then

3. Check the signage in the locality, examples

appendix7.jpg

and

277815.jpg

and display an obtainable phone number (not premium rate) and if the signage is clearly visible then pay the release fee with a CREDIT CARD & get the vehicle released.

4. After you have paid, Ask for the breakdown of the fees and if you have been overcharged, or you are charged a credit card processing fee then get a chargeback form from your bank and reclaim it.

If any of the first 3 points fail, then you arte entitled to remove the clamp. This can be done with a cordless lobster cutter (example), just place the chain into the jaws, press & hold the trigger for about 5 seconds until you hear the gronk sound. Use caution because the 8mm high-tensile steel chain can shatter at high velocity. Remove the top chain and one of the two side chains and the clamp can be pulled free of the vehicle. Don’t use angle-grinders or buzz saws they take too long, make too much noise and apparently produce an attention-grabbing light show.