style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6092 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have posted on here before regarding this matter and had some sound advice i owe 877 in council tax which i am not and never disputed, i have had 2 previous letters from the bailiffs who have attended with notices of removal proceedings. The first letter i ignored not very wise but i did. The second letter i posted on here for advice which i got and sent a letter by recorded delivery to both rossendales and local LA. Received no reply from either and both are saying they never received the letters. I offered to pay 80.00 a month towards the arrears. I rang the council who state they will not get involved and then i rang the head office of rossendales who said i had to speak to the actual bailiff which i did. To say nasty would be and understatement he basically said he didnt have time for me and that he would make sure i went to prison!! I asked what pleasure he got of being so nasty when all i was doing was offering a payment but he hung up on me. Rossendale wont accept any payment from me at all and neither will the council so i come back here for advice. I tried to ring the council as i have another letter today which again i attempted to speak to the bailiff who was rude and said id never pay it. So what now?? I want to pay this off asap but nobody will take a reasonable payment off me. And to top it all the bill has now gone up to 1209.10. The bailiff states he want me to pay 602.00 for the 5th september otherwise he will remove my goods. I have told him i will seek legal advice and he said to tell anybody i spoke to that he was a certified bailiff acting on behalf of a magistrates order does that mean they can break in without my being there. I really am at my wits end again with this any help would be great guysxx

Arrange to see a council tax advisor ASAP and make your offer through them.

Dont allow ANY bailiff into your home under any circumstances, and certainly dont sign a walk in possession order as your goods legally become their goods.

No he cant break in, but can gain a peaceful entry, so dont leave any access points open.

Most of their actions are based on imtimidation so you will have to be strong.

I know its a horrible situation to be in but they will get fed up and return the debt to the council as unenforcable.

But YOU must do your bit.

Good luck.

I have read his advice to tell whoever that he is a certified bailiff.

I cant print my reply.

I Wish you everything you wish yourself.

NatWest Claimed £1,639. Accepted £1,344.

Natwest Paid me again as GOGW £1,656. Yes they can have it back if they say please.

Barclays 1 Claimed £1,260. Won by default. Paid in full

Barclays 2 Claimed £2,378. Won by default. Paid in full

Birmingham Midshires. Claimed £2,122. Accepted £2,075.

hi em

i have had almost the same problem with the same company the past few weeks,and have had some very good sound advice from here.

i tried letters nothing.

in the end i steeled myself went down the council and asked to see someone from revenue and collections and basically lost the plot *in a non yelling manner.i told them i had money there and then to pay and that i had tried every thing to get balliff to except some cash but he wouldnt except any think i offered that he had threatened me and told me he was taking me to court and i would go to prison.which i knew to be lies as only the councill has that power.i stated that a judge would not send me to prison as i had proof that i was trying to pay.

i also told them that i would be making official complaints about both the councill and rosendales to ermmm cant think who but it on my thread somewhere if you look.

take the recored delivery proof with you along with a copy of your letter,they may not call the balliff off *they havent with me* but they have to except payment from you if you kick off and they can intervene and make a reasonable payment plan.

if the balliffs has not entered your home or levvy on anything he can only charge a first and second visit fee,he cannot charge any other costs,dont not let him in do not sign anything at all.

im sure one of the wonderfull posters that advised me will be along in a bit to advise.

honestly rosendales gggggggggggrrrrrrrrr

Can you PM me the name of the bailiff?

TezViper

TezViper

I give advice not as an expert on law, only as a guy who succesfully claimed back £3385 from The Halifax. Followed by another £2611.

Lloyds TSB settled in full before hearing

Cap One offered full settlement and default removed.

If I help in any way then please donate to the site when you are succesful

You need to contact the court who certified this bailiff and complain about his behaviour. I would also ask to speak to the most senior person in the council's debt recovery - tell them you want them to take the case back because of the intimidation and all of the probelms you are experiencing. if tehy won't help, ask them clearly what their complaints procedure is and advise if you are not happy with the outcome you will be involving the local government ombudsman. Advise you want all collection action suspended on the account until your complaint ahs been investigated. Post back as to what they say.

Also, call your local councillor to intervene on your behalf. Put everything you have talked about in a letter/email and copy to all parties.

All help is merely my opinion only - please seek legal advice if you need to as I am only qualified in SEN law.

Thank you for all your advise i have re-wrote the letters for the second time hopefully this time they will say they have received them. How long do i need to wait for a reply? I am going to see the council on friday at the drop in at 2pm then if they wont help me my councillor has a drop in at 4pm so hopefully i can get this sorted. The baliffs reckon to be calling back to discuss this at my house on the 5th of September 11-12pm so i shall certainly not answer the door. My greatest fear being that they actually break in and remove stuff i know people say they cant legally do this but how about illegally. I have no intention of dealing with them anymore and am prepared to fight them all the way to the top if necessary. My 9yr old daughter is too scared to answer the door why should we have to be frightened in our own home? I have never refused to pay this debt i just cant pay it all off in full i just dont earn that kind of money. Im seriously thinking about packing work in as to me it seems the only way anyone can get any help is if you are on income support or claiming benefits.

Bailiffs accused of harassing debtors

Published on 12/08/2003

Exclusive by Phil Coleman

A DEBT recovery firm employed by Carlisle City Council has been accused of using illegal and heavy-handed tactics.

Solicitors working for the city’s Community Law Centre say they have had a stream of inquiries from anxious people accusing the firm’s bailiffs of intimidating and harassing them.

Some have been reduced to tears, it has been claimed, while one woman in the city says she was left too afraid to leave her home.

All of them are being pursued for council tax arrears by Lancashire-based Rossendales CB Ltd.

Law centre staff say they have gathered evidence showing how some Rossendales bailiffs were threatening to illegally remove goods from people’s homes while they were out.

Kevin Jackson, a legal executive at the centre in Spencer Street, says the city council should sack the firm.

He said: “We have examples of bailiffs telling people that they can come back to people’s homes and remove goods while they’re out. That’s against the law.

“Bailiffs have to be allowed into the property and then they must make a levy on goods – an inventory of the goods they are allowed to take in lieu of a debt.

“They’re also suggesting in written notices that people will incur costs for a van and porter which calls round when they’re out to take goods to auction. They obviously can’t claim costs for an action that would be illegal. The people we’re dealing with have been left frightened and intimidated. Some have been reduced to tears.”

The Carlisle-based law centre, which runs a mobile service in other parts of the county, is now considering taking Rossendales to court for allegedly breaching the terms of their licence to operate.

Mr Jackson added: “The city council should consider using somebody else rather than a firm which is so heavy-handed.”

Carlisle factory worker Susan Ingledow, from Dalton Avenue, Raffles, is one of the people who turned to the law centre for help.

Describing Rossendales, she said: “They’re just so hard-nosed. They don’t listen to anything you say, even when you tell them you’re willing to pay. I just couldn’t afford what they wanted me to pay. I owed £600 but it’s gone up to £800 because they keep sending a van round to collect my goods. I was terrified to go out to work, or even to go out of the house. It’s been very intimidating and I’m a bag of nerves as a result. I’m frightened to answer the door.”

Another council tax debtor, a 31-year-old Carlisle man who asked not to be named, said a Rossendales bailiff had even threatened to seize goods from his girlfriend’s house.

“I’m living with her but the bailiff said that didn’t matter. He said they could come in and take whatever they want. She’d have to prove that the stuff was hers by showing them receipts. I was flabbergasted.”

A city council spokeswoman said that it had so far received no formal complaint from Carlisle Community Law Centre. Nor had any individual complained about the conduct of Rossendales employees, she said.

She added: “Rossendales have been contracted by the council to follow up bad debts for approximately 20 years and we are satisfied with the professional service they provide. The council, under its corporate complaints procedure, would investigate as a matter of course any complaints received about the practices used to recover unpaid debts.”

The News & Star attempted to contact Rossendales but was unable to get any reply.

News & Star

Thanks for that im going to print it and take it with me to the council. If anyone in the area of Rotherham have had similar dealings with these bailiffs i would be pleased to know if we were all to stand together and complain maybe the council would listen???

Thanks for that im going to print it and take it with me to the council. If anyone in the area of Rotherham have had similar dealings with these bailiffs i would be pleased to know if we were all to stand together and complain maybe the council would listen???
I sincerely wish you all the luck in the world.

I used to be in Rotherham, we worked markets and didn't know we could claim what was then Family Credit. We were struggling, got into arrears with the mortgage and the council tax. Rotherham Council sent in Rossendales - they put us out of business. All the money we had for stock was handed over to to two thugs who turned up in a van (presumably to take our possessions). We paid them off and then went on benefits. I guess Rotherham got their money at the expense of the taxpayer.

As for Rotherham Council listening, don't hold your breath. I could continue to rant but I don't want to be seen as racist (which I'm not) but any Rotherham resident must know where I'm coming from.

Hi i'm from Rotherham and have rossendales coming back tomorrow they say they will remove goods in my absence. I did sign the wpo but the bailiff never entered my flat it was signed on the car bonnet but he has got my car reg number, can he just take it? All this from unpaid council tax my nerves are shot!

Even if he did not come into the home but you both signed a walking possession that makes it legal.

He can only take the goods the he has identified and listed on the walking possession.

As this is such short notice to give advice It would be wise to make sure that the car is not around at the time.

How much is the debt?

Is this debt for Council Tax?

What have been their charges so far?

Have you made payments?

Are you receiving benefits?