Camdenite V. Barclaycard "WON"

Camdenite
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5878 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I knew it! Back in April I sent a SAR to Barclaycard, but due to lack of any correspondence I could not provide any sort of account no'. I was only able to give the approximate date I opened it. Barclaycard denied all knowledge of the account and claimed I must be mistaken. They returned my £10 cheque and I went away thinking I would never be able to prove it.

Anyay, this evening after having a browse through mt Equifax credit report, I discover the report on the Barclaycard account and see that it was indeed open for the dates I gave them (approximately). It still doesn't give the account no' on the equifax report though.

I have written a new SAR hilighting this new information and enclosed a printout of the equifax report. Are they likely to maintain that they still cannot find the account?

Does anyone have any experience of how to deal with them if they deny the existence of an account?

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It becomes a matter for the ICO. You would complain to them that they have failed in their duty as a data controller, and you wish to lodge a formal complaint, giving the name of the bod who sends you the letter saying you're talking rubbish!

Then, you could also start court proceedings to have the bank FORCED into giving you your information.

But wait and see first!

Sign my petition to the Prime Minister here:

PETITION

Thanks

Peter

!!!WON!!!

Hi Camdenite

I had the same prob with Barclaycard and a trawl through my bank statements revealed some payments made to them direct from my a/c. So I obtained the a/c number through the Coop; it took the girl there some time, but she persisted and rang me back with my Barclaycard a/c number which I duly sent off to receive my statements. Even then, it took Barclaycard nearly 90 days to send them though!!!! :eek:

HTH

Thanks for info both. I had enough of a 'mare with Providian to know exactly how they'll play this. I was at the point of taking Providian to court for non-compliance of a SAR but to be honest they really didn't give a monkeys to any threats. If it comes to it I'll have to do it though.

I like the idea of calling my bank (Abbey) and seeing if they'll furnish me with the information. What better way for them to get one over a rival. I can't believe I never thought of that.

I had the same problem with Mint/RBS, I knew I had a card with them ages ago but they said I didn't. The Mint account showed up on my equifax report and I phoned them and they were able to give me the Mint account number over the phone.

Just tried Barclaycard Cutomer Services on the phone before I send of the new SAR, in one last attempt to discover my account no'. They are still playing hardball and claim the account does not exist, even with me claiming to have proof from Equifax.

Is there a direct line for anyone at the Data Protection Team who might understand what I'm talking about rather than the half-wits in Customer Services?

Just had one idiot try to tell me that it was possible for a building to only have a PO Box no' and not an actual street address! They're really not paid to think are they?

I had the same problem with Mint/RBS, I knew I had a card with them ages ago but they said I didn't. The Mint account showed up on my equifax report and I phoned them and they were able to give me the Mint account number over the phone.

Hey Camdenite

That's a great idea; call Equifax and ask them for the a/c number, it may be a quicker route than your Bank. The Freephone number is 0800 7839421 and you can also ring the Bradford office on 01274 759759

Good luck :)

Thanks PB. I actually got my credit report files via a company called Check My File that give all three, Experian, Equifax & the other one who's name escapes me. Anyway I have asked Check My File to see if they will supply.

Do you have the names of anyone on the Bradford no' to talk to? Is that where there Data Protection team is based as the SAR I sent today was to Northampton.

Hi C

I don't have any contacts at Equifax but having called them once on the Bradfor number, I can say that a very nice older man spoke to me and was helpful with my samll enquiry. I do believe that this is where the Data Protection team are.

Painty xx

Hi PB. Just tried Equifax and they told me they could not supply the account no'. It may be because I didn't have an Equfax ref' when asked for one and I told them I went via Check My File.

All they could recommend was going to the ICO.:(

Hi PB. Just tried Equifax and they told me they could not supply the account no'. It may be because I didn't have an Equfax ref' when asked for one and I told them I went via Check My File.

All they could recommend was going to the Information Commissioners Office.:(

Hi hun

Sorry about that :? Never mind, I think you should try my other method and have a look though your bank statments to see it you've made any payments from your a/c to their's

Will do. PB. I just want to avoid any contact with my bank, Abbey, at the moment. I don't want some overzealous clerk to see the fact that we're due in court on the 7th September and remind one of their superiors to put a request for a stay in ;)

Just received a letter from Lyndsay Hilton regarding my account. Any thoughts on the following?

"I have managed to locate the number of the Barclaycard that you held some time ago and have added this to the top of this letter for your reference.

As I thought, because this account has been closed for sometime (sic), the details relating to it have purged off(been purged from, maybe:p ) the main Barclaycard system and therefore we are unable to obtain the copy statements that you require.

as a consequence, I have passed this to the relevant team dealing with the refunds of the charges applied and they will contact you".

Effectively they seem to be saying that we'll supply you a list of charges, but you'll just have to trust the information is correct in the absence of any statements. They really can't do this, can they?

Just received a letter from Lyndsay Hilton regarding my account. Any thoughts on the following?

"I have managed to locate the number of the Barclaycard that you held some time ago and have added this to the top of this letter for your reference.

As I thought, because this account has been closed for sometime (sic), the details relating to it have purged off(been purged from, maybe:p ) the main Barclaycard system and therefore we are unable to obtain the copy statements that you require.

as a consequence, I have passed this to the relevant team dealing with the refunds of the charges applied and they will contact you".

Effectively they seem to be saying that we'll supply you a list of charges, but you'll just have to trust the information is correct in the absence of any statements. They really can't do this, can they?

Sorry to bump, but any ideas how I respond?

Hi Camdenite, I sympathise with your situation as a similar thing happened to me. I had to find my own old a/c number and it took 90 days for the statements to come through for charges relating to 2001. I think if you can be patient and wait for the communication that Lyndsay refers to, you will eventually get your statements. But it's true that Barclaycard can be notoriously slow.

At least now you have your a/c number and if you don't receive anything from them, you can send a letter to their Data Protection Officer ...

Does anyone have experience of them saying they won't be able to provide statements, just a list of charges that I'll have to take at face-value?

A little bump;) . Is there any sort of template for this scenrio? They really can't be trusted to supply me a truthful list of the charges can they?