• Tweets

• if the agreement was taken out jan 23, then she has not reached the 1/3rd mark so the car has not become protected goods under the consumer credit act.  this puts her in a very very vulnerable position regarding ever keeping the car....whereby once they have issued a default notice they can legally send a guy with a flatbed (though they are NOT BAILIFFS and have ZERO legal powers) to collect the car.  if the car is kept on the public highway then they can simply take it away and she will legally owe the whole stated amount on the agreement AND lose the car. if it's on private property i'e like a driveway, ok they shouldn't take it without her agreeing, but if they do, it's not really on but its better than a court case and an inevitable loss with the granting a return of goods order. are these 'health reasons' likely to resolve themselves in the very short term (like a couple of months?) and can she immediately begin working again ? i'e has she got a job or would have to find one?  answer the above and we'll try and help. but she looks to be between rock and a hard place . whatever happens she will still have to pay the loan off...car or no car....unless you can appeal to the finance company's better nature using health reasons to back off for xxx months.
    • no need to use it. it doubles the size of the thread and makes it very diff to find replies on small screens too. just like @username it - sends unnecessary alerts to people. everyone that's posted on your thread already inc you ...gets an automatic email alert when someone else posts.
    • Hello all,   I ordered a laptop online about 16 months ago. The laptop was faulty and I was supposed to send it back within guarantee but didn't for various reasons. I contacted the company a few months later and they said they will still fix it for me free of charge but I'd have to pay to send it to them and they will pay to send it back to me. The parcel arrived there fine. Company had fixed it and they sent it via dpd. I was working in the office so I asked my neighbours who would be in, as there's been a history of parcel thefts on our street. I had 2 neighbours who offered but when I went to update delivery instructions, their door number wasn't on the drop down despite sharing the same post code.  I then selected a neighbour who I thought would likely be in and also selected other in the safe place selection and put the number of the neighbour who I knew would definitely be in and they left my parcel outside and the parcel was stolen. DPD didn't want to deal with me and said I need to speak to the retailer. The retailer said DPD have special instructions from them not to leave a parcel outside unless specified by a customer. The retailer then said they could see my instructions said leave in a safe space but I have no porch. My front door just opens onto the road and the driver made no attempt to conceal it.  Anyway, I would like to know if I have rights here because the delivery wasn't for an item that I just bought. It was initially delivered but stopped working within the warranty period and they agreed to fix it for free.  Appreciate your help 🙏🏼   Thanks!
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
        • Thanks
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

General Form of judgement or Order!

jo1006
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6101 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

We have been sent a General Form of Judgement or Order form and are unsure how to proceed. Can anyone help us/ We have claimed before and won, however we received a hearing that time. Although this never got to the hearing stage, and LTSB settled the day before, it was a different procedure to this one.

If anyone out there in the ether feels they can help us with the next step we would be grateful - we have until 4pm on 15 th August to send the details they want.

This is how it is worded:

The claimant shall comply with the following directions,

a. The Claimant shall file and serve a statement setting out particulars of the breach of contract and any explanation (if such breach is alleged) the statement shall exhibit a copy of the relevant bank terms.

b. The claimant shall file and serve a schedule showing how the amount claimed has been calculated by reference to the individual item by description amount and date.

c.In the event that the claimant is seeking to claim for charges that have accrued more than six years prior to the issue of the claim, to identify such sums and to file and serve brief reasons why such charges are being sought.

d. In the event that the claimant is seeking to claim reimbursement in respect of interest charges on any overdrawn amount, the claimant is to identify such sums and set out in brief the reasons why such charges are being sought.

Please help!

I think it would be of help if you posted up the details of your POC and exactly what you have submitted do far

IMHO It would seem that in

Q a) here you would have needed your bank T&C's

Q b) your schedule of charges from the spreadsheet

Q c) you may be claiming beyond 6yrs therefore you would need details of the Limitations Act etc

Q d) are you claiming interest on charges or CI

Hope this helps a little bit

If you think this post has been of help, please click on my SCALES on the left - thanks :-) :-x

Peter Anderson

Me Vs Morgan Stanley - WON £490

Me V's LTSB - Private & Bus Acc - £18.8k (since Oct1997)

inc: S.69 Interest (and growing daily) -;)

Please remember to DONATE when you have WON

Sorry, I am either having a senior or a blonde moment here - POC? I am sure I can post it if I know what it is.

Thanks for your help on the rest though - it just phased me a little as I never received this one last time.

Hi,

I have also received this N24 General Form of Judgement Order. Our case was against Abbey (at the time it was a paternership). I completed an allocation questionnaire on 18th of June, and heard nothing until now, it states

Upon the file being referred to the District Judge for Directions

Upon neither party attending

It is ordered that

.....the claimant do file....

a) a list of the dates and the amounts of the charges he seeks to recover

b) The reason given to him for the charges being applied

c) The contractually agreed charge at the time the charges were applied

d) The reason why the charges constitute a penalty

e) The claimants contention as to what a fair charge should have been

f) the claiments reason and justification for the figure in 1e above

I completed an N1 with what I assumed was this information. I have been trying to sort this out myself, as my partner feels this is all a waste of time, but after following all the forms and peoples success stories, I seem to have come to a brickwall. please help if you can

Hi,

I have also received this N24 General Form of Judgement Order. Our case was against Abbey (at the time it was a paternership). I completed an allocation questionnaire on 18th of June, and heard nothing until now, it states

Upon the file being referred to the District Judge for Directions

Upon neither party attending

It is ordered that

.....the claimant do file....

a) a list of the dates and the amounts of the charges he seeks to recover

b) The reason given to him for the charges being applied

c) The contractually agreed charge at the time the charges were applied

d) The reason why the charges constitute a penalty

e) The claimants contention as to what a fair charge should have been

f) the claiments reason and justification for the figure in 1e above

I completed an N1 with what I assumed was this information. I have been trying to sort this out myself, as my partner feels this is all a waste of time, but after following all the forms and peoples success stories, I seem to have come to a brickwall. please help if you can

If you can start your own thread, and post your POCs we will have a look at the documents you need to send in. You may have already sent them in, but its best to double check

PKea

Hi

Thanks for being so prompt. We used an N1 form, and when you say particulars of claim, we used the format recommended on here, which I believe is tried and tested, and which we used last time. We included a full schedule of charges which has been included with every correspondence both with the court and the bank.

Can you let me know what information you need as I have everything but dont want to include anything that is irrelevent. I am just a little confused,as I am following the same format as I followed last time and I have only a few days in which to send the information.

Also, I have the court bundle ready, but dont know whether I need to send all of that.

It is all so confusing and worrying.:?

jo1006: You will not need the court bundle until you have a hearing date. Did you start your own thread?

Hello, yes, thanks for the reply. This is my thread.

The letter we received has a final paragraph which says

"The matter is listed for further special directions on 26th September 2007 at 3.00pm at*************county court, when the court will further consider the matter and give such further directions as are necessary to enable the matter to proceed to trial.

This is where I am confused, as I have followed the same template as last time (when LTSB solicitors contacted us the day before with a full offer) and I cannot understand what has changed.

We sent the particulars of the breach of contract in our first communication with the court on the N1 form, we also sent a full schedule of charges including each item by name, amount and date.

We are not seeking re-imbursement going back over 6 years (or werent before this messing around - now it is over 6 yearsm but only because of the time it has taken to get to this point)

The one that is troubling me is point d: In the event that the Claimant is seeking to claim reimbursement in respect fo interest charged on any overdrawn amount, the claimant is to identify such sums and set out in brief the reasons why such charges are being sought... (we are not claiming interest on overdrawn amounts as we had previously been informed on this site that we could not do so)

I feel that the courts are now making us jump through hoops along with the banks. It is very very disheartening, but we will plod on. I feel in my gut that we wont win this one, and it will be struck out.

Just one more thing (sorry) Do we have to send copies of this to SC&M?

Jo

POC - Particulars of claim

Did you file using MCOL? or did you use the N1 form

At the moment it sounds like the court hasnt got a breakdown of all the charges you are claiming, as well as why you are claiming them.

If you can post your POC on here, we can advise you better

PKea

Thanks PKea,

Here are our pocs

1.The claimants had accounts******** and******* with the defendant which were opened on or around 1988 and suspended in 2006.

2.During the period in which the accounts have been operating the defendant debited numerous charges to the accounts in respect of purported breaches of contract on the part of the claimant and also charged interest on the charges once applied. The claimant understands that the defendand contends that the charges were debited in accordance with the terms of the contract between itself and the claimant.

3.a list of the charges applied to both accounts are attached to those particulars of claim.

4.The claimant contends that: (a)The charges debited to the account are punitive in any nature; are not a genuine pre-estimate of cost incurred by the defendant; exceed any alleged actual cost to the defendant in respect of any breaches of contract on the part of the claimant; and are not intended to represent or related to any alleged actual loss but instead unduly enrich the defendant which exdercised the contractual term in respect of such charges with a view to profit.

(b) The contractual provision that permits the defendant to levy such charges is unenforceable by virtue of the unfair contract terms in consumer contracts regulations (1999), The unfair contract terms act (1977) and the Common Law.

5. Accordingly the claimant claims (a)the return of the amounts debited in respect of charges in the sum of £****** and interest of £*****

(b)Court costs

©Interest pursuant to section 69 County Court Act as set out on the attached list of charges or at such a rate and for such periods as the court deem just.

So folks - this is it. And in reply we got this:

on form N24 General Form of Judgement or Order:

The claimant shall comply with the following directions by 16.00 on 15 August 2007.

A. The Claimant shall file and serve a statement setting out particulars of the breach of contract and any explanation (if such breach is alleged). The statement shall exhibit a copy of the relevant bank terms.

B. The Claimant shall file and serve a schedule showing how the amount claimed has been calculated by reference to the individual item by description, amount and date.

C. In the event that the Claimant is seeking to claim for charges that have accrued more than six years prior to the issue of the claim, to identify such sums and to file and serve brief reasons why such charges are being sought.

D. In the event that the Claimant is seeking to claim reimbursement in respect of interest charged on any overdrawn amount, the Claimant is to identify such sums and set out in brief the reasons why such charges are being sought.

Point A. I thought had been covered in the N1 form, and point B. (schedule of charges) has been sent already along with the N1. I am finding all of this disconcerting now.

I fall on my sword for help...please!

Alright stranger!:D

You've got the new order from our old friend judge Beresford.:rolleyes:

a. The Claimant shall file and serve a statement setting out particulars of the breach of contract and any explanation (if such breach is alleged) the statement shall exhibit a copy of the relevant bank terms.

b. The claimant shall file and serve a schedule showing how the amount claimed has been calculated by reference to the individual item by description amount and date.

c.In the event that the claimant is seeking to claim for charges that have accrued more than six years prior to the issue of the claim, to identify such sums and to file and serve brief reasons why such charges are being sought.

d. In the event that the claimant is seeking to claim reimbursement in respect of interest charges on any overdrawn amount, the claimant is to identify such sums and set out in brief the reasons why such charges are being sought.

Claim No: xxxxxxx

In the HULL County Court

jo1006

and

Lloyds TSB

STATEMENT IN RESPONSE

TO ORDER DATED xx/xx/xx

1. Relevant terms of the contract include:

i). There was an express term of the contract that the account was subject to ‘an agreed overdraft limit of £****'

ii) Clause 4.1 of the 1996 Terms and Conditions state;

“We will make any payments from your account when you authorise them in a manner which is agreed between us. You must have sufficient money available in the account to meet the payment. If we have granted an overdraft then we will make payments as you instruct us provided they do not exceed the overdraft limit.”

iii) Term 9 a) of the 2000 Terms and Conditions state:

“You are not entitled to overdraw the account if no overdraft facility has been arranged, or to overdraw the account beyond the limit of an arranged overdraft facility. You are not entitled to use your card if this would happen, but this does not affect our right to deduct the amount of the card transaction or guaranteed cheque from the account if the card is used.”

iv). Clause 9.2 of the terms of use of debit card states:

“If you do use your Card to create an overdraft we have not agreed or to exceed an agreed overdraft limit, you will have broken the terms of your account and you must repay the un-agreed amount immediately.”

v). Clause 6.5 of the terms of use of cheque guarantee Card:

“You must not write a guaranteed cheque which exceeds the amount in your Account or the limit of any overdraft we have agreed with you.”

vi) From the Defendant’s published charges leaflet which forms part of the Terms of the Account;

“If you go overdrawn without agreeing this with us we charge a higher rate of interest for unauthorised borrowing …We will also charge you a fee for any unauthorised borrowing….

Overdraft excess fee: £30 per day (Maximum of 3 charges in one monthly charging period.

"We charge you this when you go overdrawn by £10 or more above any agreed overdraft, or without any agreed overdraft. We will charge you this fee again on each day we make a payment for you that increases your overdraft by £10 or more.”

Returned item fee £30

"You’ll be charged this fee whenever there is not enough money in your account to make a payment such as a Direct Debit, cheque or standing order.’

2. Thus by virtue of the terms stated above the customer is contractually prohibited from;

i) Withdrawing beyond any agreed limit, and;

ii) making a cheque payment without sufficiant available funds.

The overdraft excess fee and unpaid cheque fee are therefore imposed upon breaches of contract.

3. If the court does not consider that the terms of prohibition extend to making any other payment without available funds, such as direct debit or standing order, the claimant will seek to pursuade the court that the effect and intention of the charge is identical to that of the other charges and thus the penalty provisions can, and should, apply notwithstanding the absence of an express term of prohibition. In this regard the claimant will rely upon the authorities of Bridge v Campbell Discount [1962] A.C. 600, Dunlop Pneumatic Tyre co Ltd v New Garage [1915] AC 79 and Interfoto v Stilletto Visual Programmes Ltd [1988] 2 WLR 615.

4. Further or alternatively, the claimant will seek to demonstrate that the charges are subject to an assessment of fairness under the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999. The Claimant will contend that the clauses permitting the defendant to levy charges are unfair under regulation 5 becouse contrary to the requirement of good faith they cause a significant imbalance in the parties' rights and obligations arising under the contract, to the detriment of the consumer.

5. Schedules detailing charges and statutory interest calculations are attached to this statement, along with all contractual documents quoted at para 1.

Attach a schedule of charges and the relevant T&C's. You need the ones marked as important from the docs library, along with the "Lloyds card use 31 10 04" ones - http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bank-templates-library/101412-document-library-work-progress.html#post953985

If your account wasn't open in 1996 then make sure you get rid of the paragraph in red!

Its not a pre 6 year claim is it?

Please remember to DONATE! Help CAG keep up the fight!

Any advice or opinion is offered informally & without liability. Use your own judgment and if in doubt seek advice of a qualified and insured professional.

Hi Gary,

Once again you are a star. We have already sent in the documentation but will be following this advice and taking it in person to be handed to the esteemed Judge Beresford ;) to add to our case files.

Thanks again and we will keep you posted.

J & M