• Tweets

• You can edit the answers to be in red or would you like me to do it? HB
    • Apologies dx100uk  I did not put the answers in red  Thank you all for your patience. H
    • Which Court have you received the claim from ? Northampton  Name of the Claimant ? Overdales solicitors  How many defendant's  joint or self ?  Self Date of issue – top right hand corner of the claim form – this in order to establish the time line you need to adhere to.  13 may 2024 What is the claim for – the reason they have issued the claim? the claim is for the sum of £6163.61due by the defendant under an agreement regulated by the consumer credit act 1974 for hsbc uk bank plc. Account 4546384809766042. The defendant faild to maintain contractual payments required by the agreement and a default notice was served under s 87(1)  of the consumer credit act 1974 which as not been compiled with. The dbt was legally assigned to the Claimant on 23/08/23, notice on which as been given to the defendant.  The claim includes statutory interest under S.69 of the county courts act 1984 at a rate of 8% per annum from the date of assignment to the date of issue of these proceedings in the sum of £117.53 the Claimant claims the sum of £6281.14. Have you received prior notice of a claim being issued pursuant to paragraph 3 of the PAPDC (Pre Action Protocol) ?   Not to my knowledge. Have you changed your address since the time at which the debt referred to in the claim was allegedly incurred?  No Do you recall how you entered into the agreement...On line /In branch/By post ?  Online but it was for a smaller amount they kept on increasing this with me asking Has the claim been issued by the original creditor or was the account assigned and it is the Debt purchaser who has issued the claim.  It was assigned to a debt collection agency  Were you aware the account had been assigned – did you receive a Notice of Assignment? yes  Did you receive a Default Notice from the original creditor?  Yes I also made offers to pay original creditor a smaller amount but was not replied to Have you been receiving statutory notices headed “Notice of Sums in Arrears”  or " Notice of Arrears "– at least once a year ?  No Why did you cease payments? I was made redundant and got a less paid job I also spent some time on furlough during covid and spent some 3 months on ssp off work. What was the date of your last payment?  May 2021 Did you communicate any financial problems to the original creditor and make any attempt to enter into a debt management plan? Yes at the time I communicated with all my creditor's that I was running out of funds to pay the original agreements once my redundancy money ran out that was when my accounts defaulted. I then wrote to all my creditor's with pro rata offers of payments but debt collectors took over the accounts.
    • Just an update for all. I received about a letter every other week, increasing in threat levels. Then I hadn't had one for a about two weeks, then Saturday received a carbon copy of the very first letter they sent me in February. Made me laugh, rinse and repeat. 
    • So, your response was not received by the SCP as you did not send it with a valid stamp. Therefore, from my two option in post #14, the first option is the only one available to you, but you do not have the option of asking to be sentenced at the fixed penalty level as the reason the SCP did not receive your response was down to you. Here's a reminder of what to do: Respond to the SJPN by pleading “Not Guilty” to both charges. In the “Reasons for pleading Not Guilty” box state that you are willing to plead guilty to the speeding charge providing, and only providing, the “Fail to Provide Driver's Details" (FtP) charge is dropped. This is a tried and tested method to deal with your problem and is almost always successful. Before the pandemic it was necessary to attend court to do this "deal" because it needs the agreement of the police prosecutor.. During the pandemic courts made every effort to have as few  people as possible attend and they began doing this deal under the "Single Justice" procedure without the defendant's attendance. Some courts have carried this procedure on whilst others have reverted to a personal attendance being necessary. If you are required to attend, your case will be taken out of the SJ procedure and you will be given a date for a hearing in the normal Magistrates' Court. If that is the way they do it in the area involved you will have to attend, see the prosecutor and offer your "deal" in person. 
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

FAO Lateralus/Freakyleaky/Castlebest - Question but not HSBC related

Mandy27
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6129 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Probably should post this in the Abbey forum but you guys have been brilliant getting me through my claim with HSBC.

I'm actually asking on behalf of my sister. She is coming round to mine this pm to go through her claim. She has over £5,000 of charges to claim back from Abbey. She's done the prelim and LBA and is now stuck, she says she's not getting much help from the Abbey forum so I thought I'd see if you guys can help.

Basically, she doesn't understand the claim process now for over £5,000 and I have to say nor do I. Does she need to file a claim on MCOL or direct through the courts. I think I'm right in assuming this isn't a small claim because its more than £5,000.

Can someone just confirm the process so I can talk her through it when she comes round?

Many thanks in advance

Mandy

Small claims are for under 5000 so you will have to do it direct with the court. Call your local court and ask which forms you need to fill in. I think you can use the n1 form but just double check. If you can use the n1 then you can downloadit from this site. There are new particulars of claim to use for most banks now but just shout when you are ready to fill it in and we will point you in the right direction.

The court will also be able to tell you how much the fee's are!

I think, unless your sisters claim is a lot over £5000 it will still be allocated to the small claims track because the pionts of law will be the same as all the other bank charges claims.

You could still file with MCOL although the thinking now is dont use MCOL anyway because the limited space provided for the particulars is too small, have a look at the new POC's posted on the Abbey fourum and use an N1 claim form and send it by post or take it by hand to your local court.

pete

Hi all, Mandy27's sister here, thank you for your help! I have to say and I don't like to more help than I have got from the abbey part of the site! I posted there yesterday with a question, just wondered if whilst I am getting my N1 and butt in gear (head round it all, no where near as clever as my sister I'm afraid, she got all the brain cells!) I sent the following letter:

Dear *************

Further to my letter dated 17th July 1007, I would like to offer you one final opportunity to settle this matter before I proceed with legal action to claim the remainder of the charges levied from my account unlawfully.

You have already credited my account with £360, my claim is for £5024 (please see attached spreadsheet, which also shows how much I will be seeking in court with the additional 8%) plus £250.00 court fees.

I am in the process of completing my N1 form for the courts and upon reading the first item on the "Notes for claimant":

• "You must think about whether alternative dispute resolution (ADR) is a better way to reach an agreement before going to court. The leaflet ‘Making a claim? – Some questions to ask yourself’ explains morea bout ADR and how you can attempt to settle your claim"

It is this that has prompted me to attempt a final resolution with you which would be in both our interests, out of court. I would be willing to accept an out of court settlement of £4664.00 aswell as the £360 already credited by yourselves to my account totalling the amount I am seeking of £5024. This will save yourselves the additional costs of 8% interest and £250 court fees.

Failure to comply with this request will result in legal action against you for full recovery, as detailed in my Letter Before Action.

If you do not accept my conditions for acceptance, or you do not respond within 10 days, the money transfered to my account should not be viewed as my acceptance and I hereby authorise you to remove this sum accordingly.

I trust this clarifies my position.

well, mandy's sister pooh, i guess anything is worth a shot - but i don't see it happening now with the oft test case - they are using it to get out of being confronted - they will just send you a letter back (i'd think) stating that they aren't now dealing with bank charges claiming at all and won't do until the oft case is heard, thank you for your patience, your letter is very important to us, have a nice day!

but as i say - it's worth a try - good luck, pb, let us know how you get on.

you might like to read this to see why you should go ahead and claim if your letter doesn't work: OFT Test claim: What this means for you

No I think you are right, to be honest I think it is just my subconcious trying to avoid the court bit, I am just finding it hard to understand and get my head round and worried it will get to court and I am not clever enough to defend against a legal department of a big bank.

I just need to get the N1 in, pay my court fee and then at least its done, I have got another claim I am doing for my OH with Natwest so need to do the same as they are at the same stage.

One question on the N1 form that isn't covered on the POC you posted (very kindly) the "Value" you put in, especially as I assume the 8% interest continues to go up day by day until an offer or judgement is made? It has a bit for Claimant details first, then Defendant details, the Brief details of the claim and the "value". My claim is £5024 (although the bank has already paid £360 into my account, plus £250 court fees and 8%, how and what do I put in that section?

Thanks

well, i'd say Enter the total of your claim, charges and interest and then there's a sentence in the N1 that says Interest under section 69 of the County Courts Act 1984 at the rate of 8% per annum from the date of wrongful debit to date in the sum of £xxx.xx, and at the daily rate of xx.until judgment or sooner payment.

and you figure the daily rate as your charges (not interest or court fee) x 0.00022 pence per day - so say your charges alone are 5k - the daily interest would be £1.10 per day -

so value would be xxxx.xx plus xxp daily rate until the resolution of the claim.