Banks Suspend Bank Charges

summer24
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6133 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi....... all!

I think the banks will reword their T & C and call them FINES and not charges...

They are looking for a loophole now to stop anyone from reclaiming the charges back...and to be able to keep money coming in on people who go over their agreed overdraft.

Not sure now about the fines versus charges... I think they are the same.... BUT the banks will find the word or sentence that makes it legal etc for them to take your money...

I think they make enough money from their customers when they take so long for the money to clear . It is floated on the Stock Market* and millions must made this way?

I wouldn't mind them doing this if I got a percentage for letting them use my money...but that will never happen!

I also feel that the banks are to blame for the demise of the Post Office...:rolleyes:

(Pensions are paid into banks now and that means that most Senior Citizens don't get out as much or see friends etc because they would need to arrange times etc...whereas when it was paid by the PO it would be a certain day,I think it was a thursday, and most would be out getting their money).

I wouldn't have needed a bank account if my money was still paid by book at the PO, but you just get railroaded into these things..

Wages are the same... I hated having to have my money, that I worked hard for, put in a bank where they can take what they want from you before you even see it!

It might have stopped armed robbery on wages but now the theives can take millions from accounts that are not as secure as you were led to believe.. The fact that some banks have been fined for leaving sensitive documents in unsecure areas is mind-boggling! :o

It makes me want to go to my bank and DEMAND that they show me how they deal with the paperwork, old debit/credit cards etc...all the banks should have incineraters... not just shredders(if they have any, can't say I have ever noticed)!

And I bet I know the answer they will give... "we can't show you that area because it is sensitive.." Yeah right...!

Sorry.. going a bit off tangent here...having a bit of a rant... I will leave it at that. I'm getting really het up so I need to calm down a bit....lol :rolleyes:

*Please note that I am unsure about the banks using our money on the Stock Market.. I would need to do a bit of research. But it is what I have been led to believe.

• Haha 2

what is the answer to all this?????? there is a great deal of speculation flying around and nobody can be sure what the outcome will be, one thing I do now is that if we do not get a favourable response then we should take to the streets in our millions and force this god forsaken country to listen, how long is it going to be before we end up with a civil war on our hands.... we can not continue in this opressed regime... this country is being run by large institutions.... it is all about money... I have read recently that illegal immigrants leave the country get a £3500 windfall to set up a business back home.... they use the money to return and then ask for another £3500.... I know families who have lived here all their lives that only get that to live on for one whole year.... I have also heard how true I dont know that migrant workers claim child tax credits over here for children they dont have back home... and because our system is so old and there is no investigations possible they get away with it...... why do I feel a victim ????? I have worked all my adult life as have many people I know and unless you are one of the very few on decent wages your standard of living is ridiculously low.....

any ideas would be greatly appreciated..............

I think migrants and immigrants are too often used as scapegoats for everything that goes wrong in this country. I am not English and have moved here from the continent in the early 90s as I am married here. My OH is English. I am more and more shocked about how xenophobic England has become. I have been verbally attacked myself in a petrol station in quite a shocking manner, so I know what I am talking about. What you seem to forget is that everybody is a foreigner - almost everywhere in the world !

I am sure that some people abuse the system, but I am equally sure that it is not limited to migrants and immigrants ! I am sure there are a lot of English people who are claiming benefits when they shouldn't.

In my country (member state of the EU) we had cases of ENGLISH people coming in, reporting to the immigration services and applying for Political Asylum, as under our laws every request has to be investigated and all people requesting asylum have to be put up at taxpayer's expense until their request has been decided which due to the case load could take up to 1 year. So we had English people lodging for free for at least a year whilst their fake request for political asylum had to be investigated by the authorities.

So you need to remember that there are good and bad everywhere. Needless to say the freeloaders were denied asylum and sent back to the UK, probably claiming benefits here now or they have tried Switzerland. Who knows, these are also people you are supporting through your taxes.

Sadly it is only the immigrants that get a mention in the tabloids.8)

• Haha 2

At the risk of sounding thick (again :p ), can someone answer the following:

As I understand it, all banks will not be paying out any more charges until the result of the test case, whenever that may be. Does this apply to credit cards as well or is it just bank acccounts?

I'm midway through the tunnel, but getting closer to the light.

Please be aware that i am not an expert in anything!

I may offer an opinion, but the final decision is yours.

please note my comments where in no way to be confused with being racist. I am not !!!! I am trying to point the finger at how the government(establishment) works in this country and those where just a few things that I had read recently which brought it to bear...

what I do feel however that we should be standing up and being counted for what is right. what is right should be a democratic view not just the view of rich people hiding in nice houses or holidaying on private islands, getting driven around in gas guzzling cars all paid for by the taxpayer. we should have more of a right to decide how and what our money is spent on.

this country is being brought to its knees by lots of factors... but how long will it be before we snap....

poll tax, council tax ( how long before police tax, ambulance tax, fire service tax individually so they can all go up individually) , congestion charging, motorway tax, petrol duty, flying taxes, oxygen tax( could be on its way) has our population gotten so big that we need all these taxes to pay for it....

I think not, I feel the rich are getting richer and the poor are getting poorer to pay for it.... for 1 tiny moment i felt that forums such as cag was giving some of us the right to fight back and helped with the tools needed to do it, only for the rug to be pulled from under us by the establishment.... as has been discussed this has far more implications than charges from banks , it is about a way of life that we are increasingly becoming fed up with,,,, we need to stand shoulder to shoulder for what is right.... of the billions of money banks make each year how many people is that divided up too.....???? sorry but i felt it was time for a rant

Only direct action by the masses will work....

Look at all successes they have never come from negotiation!!!

please note my comments where in no way to be confused with being racist. I am not !!!! I am trying to point the finger at how the government(establishment) works in this country and those where just a few things that I had read recently which brought it to bear...

what I do feel however that we should be standing up and being counted for what is right. what is right should be a democratic view not just the view of rich people hiding in nice houses or holidaying on private islands, getting driven around in gas guzzling cars all paid for by the taxpayer. we should have more of a right to decide how and what our money is spent on.

this country is being brought to its knees by lots of factors... but how long will it be before we snap....

poll tax, council tax ( how long before police tax, ambulance tax, fire service tax individually so they can all go up individually) , congestion charging, motorway tax, petrol duty, flying taxes, oxygen tax( could be on its way) has our population gotten so big that we need all these taxes to pay for it....

I think not, I feel the rich are getting richer and the poor are getting poorer to pay for it.... for 1 tiny moment i felt that forums such as cag was giving some of us the right to fight back and helped with the tools needed to do it, only for the rug to be pulled from under us by the establishment.... as has been discussed this has far more implications than charges from banks , it is about a way of life that we are increasingly becoming fed up with,,,, we need to stand shoulder to shoulder for what is right.... of the billions of money banks make each year how many people is that divided up too.....???? sorry but i felt it was time for a rant

i am not having a go at you sorry if you thought that,

their are other methods such as your vote to your mp and your neighbours support you may be suprised that a great many immigrants also taxpayers agree with your veiws....I even have my own problems that are bigger than you could imagine since i am disabled and my wife works 21 hours means i am only entitled to dissability livin allowance our kids are at universaty and my wife because she earns mor than 89.00 per week we are not entitled to anymore..I do understand the need to control imigration...but our hardships have grown tenfold because i am refused incapacity benefit due to fabrications by SIMA DOCTORS (who are employed by PHILLIPS ELECTRONICS) who contract to the DWP...thankfully i have documents that have just come to light and now we can go ahead and present my case through my MP who was receiving MIS INFORMATION AND denials FROM THE DWP so its not just Banks who are screwing us ...you would nt beleive the bonus a DWP doctor receives for having you passed as fit....So i have my battles to fight and i have spent the last few years trying to prove something finnally i will get my rewards not monetary i want heads to role and this case goes higher than local DWP i have also been in a legal battle with NAT WEST SINCE 1993 where from oct 1993 i am being charged £4.99 per day how would you like that on your back....dont worry cause i dont lol i got a by pass in the coming months at the hospital then a double bypass when i recover from the first by pass due to collapsed arteries, so all i got to worry about now is maintaining bloodflow to my legas and arms for the next couple of months ...its not comforting to know that one day you may wake up and fing one of your limbs going purple and if it last more than a day ist amputation...i have also lost one family member through the same problem...dont mean to bore you with all this nonsense ,but i do understand where your coming from...but just try going to your local indian resturant and talk to the guys in thier they will tell you the same they dont like being tarred with the same brush as the islamist and jehadas they just want a peicefull life and to fit in to the comunity same goes for the poor polaks they suffered for years under oppresion we did nt try to help them but now we have a chance you would nt like to live in poverty just imagine livin their ...look at our hospitals they have a majority of imagrants but they work tremendous hours and they do care for their patients...so if you want to be involved join your local trade unions and political branches and fight your corner that way.......and again most of the immagrants do come to work and do pay taxes but like all people we have rouges in every walk of life

Absalutly rediculous!! :( i really do hope the banks lose this case! and hope it doesnt take to long either! am still waiting on a settlement offer from the clydesdale bank, the FOS Have/was helping me with my claim! last week they said the banks wouldnt be long in coming back with an offer now because they had been over there 6weeks in replying to the FOS! Ive been tackiling my claim for months now, and was sooo looking forward to a little extra cash over the summer!? lloks like we will be waiting a little bit longer now? a year?? im with the clydesdale bank and i live in scotland! :)

please keep me updated if there is any more news!! x

Thanx for your help again,

Caroline x:p x

I have an hp agreement for a car with Blackhorse. There are a lot of charges for late payment etc. I am paying monthly as orginal loan is still being repaid. If the charges are included in the debt and I dont pay and am taken to court what will happen As i understand it the debt cannot be seperated so Blachorse would have to make their minds up which way to go. I have paid over a third so they will have to go to court. If I stand up and say I do not owe the amount they say I do, what will happen. It has been left at the moment that I pay and the charges will be reviewed at a later date. I was happy with this because I was dealing with other DCAs and will get round to Blackhorse later.

If the bank charges are proportionate why have Abbey and HSBC charges not been reduced when outsourced to India. We were told for cost cutting?

This is a travesty!

Who "agreed" to let the banks suspend paying out?

WHO? - the banks have decided between them that this is what they are doing.

The FOS has no right to agree to it without the Government agreeing as the FOS has been set up by law to help settle individual disputes between consumers and financial firms. I haven't heard a Government debate regarding this specific issue.......

The FSA has no right - it is the (main) regulator of financial services and it cannot decide either - it is there to make sure that organisations and their employee's act within the banking code - and if that is the case then as someone has previously asked - why are banks allowed to keep taking charges until this is sorted?

At the risk of sounding thick (again :p ), can someone answer the following:

As I understand it, all banks will not be paying out any more charges until the result of the test case, whenever that may be. Does this apply to credit cards as well or is it just bank acccounts?

I'm not trying to hog the limelight, i think this got a bit lost! Just wondered if anyone can answer for me...please ;)

I'm not trying to hog the limelight, i think this got a bit lost! Just wondered if anyone can answer for me...please ;)

The OFT has already ruled on credit card charges ( last year ) and said that anything above £12 would need to be justified. This DOES NOT mean that they can charge £12 ( as some would lead you to believe ), you can still whack your claims in & they should be looked at.

I'm sure the OFT would be v interested in any credit card providers telling people they are putting the claim on hold until the test case...

Britian is no more xenophobic than any other country and a lot less than most.
I must differ. It is very xenophobic much more than other countries, you need to be at the receiving end though to appreciate how much.

Newcomers from fellow EU countries have a legal right to come and live here and arent classed as immigrants.

That would be me, but have been told in no uncertain terms by some Brits how unwelcome I still am and where I should go (won't quote them) (married here, bring up kids, work and pay taxes...hmmm they didn't ask about that though just told me still not welcome as not a true Brit. Maybe because I don't wear T-Shirts with the Union Jack on it or something - not sure) :?

Asylum seekers are welcome if they are genuine, however as asylum treaties state that one must claim asylum in the first safe country they come to.

It is clear that those who have travelled half way round the world to come here have passed through many safe countries and have made a conscious choice to head for Britain as a destination of choice.

You ever wondered why they wish to settle here and not in the Netherlands for example ? Which is the most common language in the world ? Dutch ? Swedish ? Greek ? Icelandic ? Finnish ? No - I think there may a possible key answer. Most people are more likely to speak basic English than any other language from a so called safe country. If they are genuine they will try to go where it is easiest to get work and establish themselves- that's easier if you can communicate as all European countries will offer the same basic immigration rights and privileges. England is by no means a softer spot than for example the Netherlands or Sweden.

This makes those who do this simply illegal economic migrants who are abusing the asylum system.
Most of these people do not come to abuse anything or steal some butter off someones cucumber sandwich, they simply want a better life and they are told this is where to have a better life. I think it is very hard to put yourself into the shoes of someone who has sold everything for a chance to travel in a cargo container with 20 or more others halfway around the globe to a strange country hoping for a better life

Its not a race issue. Playing the race card devalues REAL race issues and undermines the case for those genuinely in need of our protection.
No, it is most certainly not a race issue at all. I am as white as a true British cucumber sandwich but my accent / language still (even after almost 15 years living here) gives me away which was enough to be subjected to a xenophobic attack in a petrol station in good old England.:eek:

Please believe me if I say to you : you need to be at the receiving end of this behaviour to appreciate the severity of the current situation

and if that is the case then as someone has previously asked - why are banks allowed to keep taking charges until this is sorted?

Not trying to look as if I am siding with the banks - which I am not, but:

I think they can continue charging as they say the charges are fair and justified and legal. The test case will decide if that's true or not, so they can/will continue until told otherwise as they have objected to voluntary compliance.

Also, keep this in mind: if they did suspend all charges pending the outcome of the test case and they then WIN the test case, would we not all get a bill for suspended unpaid charges going back the duration of the test case ? Just as the bank's may have to fork out past charges if they loose ? Might be better for the consumer this way, especially as we do not know the outcome of the test case. I'd rather have a backdated pay-out than a backdated bill.

But that's just me.?

Well, that's how I look at it to comfort myself ;)

The OFT has already ruled on credit card charges ( last year ) and said that anything above £12 would need to be justified. This DOES NOT mean that they can charge £12 ( as some would lead you to believe ), you can still whack your claims in & they should be looked at.

I'm sure the OFT would be v interested in any credit card providers telling people they are putting the claim on hold until the test case...

Thanks Powell. When i was adding up OH's charges, i noticed they'd lowered them to 12.00 over the last few months. I put the claim in about 3 weeks ago now, so we'll see what happens. I'm also waiting for a response to my claim from Egg card - hence the curiosity! ;)

1)The asylum system is there for people in fear of persecution in their own country, it isnt a means for people to get a better life somewhere else. To use it as such, is to abuse the generosity of the country which gives asylum.
True - tell that the bunch of English people requesting political asylum in a EU member state 'for a laugh' in order to live on that countries' benefit system for a year before being returned to the UK. I think that is a lot worse than some poor human beings from a third world country travelling around the globe in a cargo container looking for a better life. With my taxes I'd rather support those destitute and desperate enough to do that than a bunch of lazyholics who no doubt are still claiming benefits (or requesting political asylum ?) to this date somewhere in Europe and hold a British passport.

2)Until 1997, failed asylum seekers were sent back to the last safe country they had passed through on their way here, usually France or the Netherlands (if they would have them)

We had to send the false English asylum seekers all the way back to the UK, nobody else on the way would have them off us !!! We didn't bother to ask in the Netherlands or France on the way through mind you...maybe we should have just offloaded them there without asking.:rolleyes:

3) I'm sorry you have been treated badly simply because of your accent by some idiots in some places. If I went to live in the Netherlands, Im sure I would find some idiots who would treat me badly simply because Im English. I live in Northern Ireland, Ive had some unpleasant moments with idiots here, over the last 20 years.

Small minded people are everywhere, not just England.

True - but again, if it is not you who is directly and personally affected it is difficult to put yourself into those peoples shoes who are. I honestly believe based on own experience that England is sliding. There is increased xenophobia and it is sadly fired up by the tabloids here (anti Europe, anti Euro, anti everything that is not British really and if it's apples from New Zealand). Our daughter's school found it necessary to introduce cultural diversity themes and subjects (not as part of the curriculum) to show pupils how all countries interlink, how different cultures live and work together etc to combat certain xenophobic tendencies and incidents amongst some pupils, some as young as Key Stage 1 ! These youngsters don't get their ideas from reading Puddle Lane books, they get these silly ideas from their parents. It is frightening.:confused: