• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Office Of Fair Trading Test Case

Guest Wild Billy
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5862 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why on earth would you want to settle for less - if they have failed to follow court orders you will almost certainly win anyway.

Sorry but i just have a gut feeling i am going to get shafted:mad:

My case was in front of the judge yesterday at Grantham court who only look at abnk charges cases on a Monday. As of yesterday the court manager told me that the banks had not contacted them requesting a stay on any cases. However when i called back at 5pm she said the judge did not have time to deal with any bank charges cases and all were being transferred to Lincoln crown court to be looked at this Friday when they will be dealt with. She then said that they received an email at 4:30pm informing the courts about the OFT announcement on Friday. Do you think it is even worth calling and sticking to the full amount??

:( Ohhhhh s***t!

I was there at Leeds Mercantile 28th June. The judge said NatWest had until 9th August to get back to me with either a settlement or otherwise, and now the FSA go and do this 'waiver' thing - how bad is the timing!!

Bingo it is Mrs Goggins, if it was horse racing, you'd be odds on favourite.

Lunatic Flea, could you post on your own thread, please? I've just had a look (and merged 3 threads), and you haven't updated there at all, instead posting on here, which isn't where you should be discussing this.

Hi

My appoligies. Not up to speed on how the forum works. I only replied to a post in this thread which was very close to the same position i am in concerning the same bank.

Mr Lemos: Gerard Lemos, Chairman of the Banking Code Standards Board

House of Commons - Treasury - Minutes of Evidence

Q372 Chairman: That is a good aspect to bring to your attention because it was this Committee which referred this issue to the OFT and then referred it to the Competition Commission. This is an example of industry coming before us when we asked them about penalty charges and saying, "We don't make any extra money out of this"; and we asked, "How much do you make out of it?" and they unanimously decide not to give us that information. As a result we referred it to the OFT and we now see the result of that. It is just an example, Mr Fortescue, for you in your role to say to the banks, "Look you should be thinking in a forward way in this issue so that we do not need to go through these laborious routes", because at the end of the day we find ourselves in this position. Related to Angela's question about the review in 2008, if they were seen to be taking this offensive approach then things would be a lot easier and there would be no need to get into this situation.

Mr Lemos: Could I say one more thing in relation to your last question. There is a provision in the Code relating to customers in financial difficulties already, which says that they should be left with enough funds for their basic requirements

Q373 Mr Newmark: I understand that. I think the point Mr Fortescue was making hits the nail on the head—it is those, where for some reason for example, a cold winter and their fuel charge is suddenly a lot larger, who slightly go over and they are hit with a £38 or £26 charge. We are really focussing on the people who are on the lowest rung of society. That is really where our concern lies. For those people the £26 or £38 is a meaningful amount to them. That is where our concern lies. For those who just have two bank accounts there is this issue of off-set. I know that consumer groups have expressed concern that banks are beginning to offset one account for another, so if one goes overdrawn they effectively log onto another account to pay off debts. The problem arises sometimes even when a repayment plan has been agreed with the help of an impartial debt adviser. Would such action breach the Banking Code's requirement to treat customers in financial difficulty positively and sympathetically?

Just in case anyone wanted to use it as evidence to help remove a stay:)

i will be off site for the next month or so. if you have any problems, feel free to report the post so a moderator can help you.

I am not a qualified or practicing lawyer.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general-debt/36790-bank-taking-your-benefits.html

This applies particularly to this thread, where those in need have had their benefits taken away before they even saw them, and were left with nothing, all in the name of profit.

Also the low earners have been hardest hit, working all month to have a quarter of your wages taken in charges.

Social Security Administration Act 1992

Miscellaneous

Certain benefit to be inalienable **

187- Subject to the provisions of this Act, every assignment of, or charge on-

(a)benefit as defined in section 122 of the Contributions and Benefits Act;

(b)any income-related benefit; or

©child benefit,

and every agreement to assign or charge such benefit shall be void; and, on the bancrupcy of the beneficiary, such benefit shall not pass to any trustee or other person acting on behalf of his creditors

Why have the banks not been ordered to return these blatantly unlawful charges?

Tide

Can you explain how this can help? :)

Disclaimer: Anything I write in these forums is my personal opinion and offered without prejudice. If in doubt, please seek independent legal advice.

*If what I have told you in this post has helped, please press the star at the bottom left and tell me!!*

My charges claims:

un1boy vs egg *SETTLED* | Un1boy vs LTSB-SETTLED | un1boy vs Black Horse-SETTLED | Un1boy v Smile *WON* | un1boy v HSBC - SETTLED! | Un1boy's HSBC CC - SETTLED! | Un1boy vs Co-Op *SETTLED* |un1boy vs Co-Op CC *SETTLED*

Default removals:

un1boy v Equifax - Default removal

un1boy vs Experian - Default removal

One of the arguments used against the stay so far is "The Balance of Convenience". For people on means tested benefits, this is a particularly strong argument, if backed up with reasonable evidence: http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bank-templates-library/17065-application-removal-stay-updated.html

i will be off site for the next month or so. if you have any problems, feel free to report the post so a moderator can help you.

Miscellaneous

Certain benefit to be inalienable :

Attendance allowance

Benefits for widows and widowers

Child Benefit

Child's special allowance

Community charge benefits

Disability living allowance

Disability working allowance

Family credit

Graduated retirement benefit

Guardian's allowance

Housing benefit

Income support

Invalidity benefits

Invalid care allowance

Maternity

Retirement pensions (Categories A and B)

Sickness benefit

Severe disablement allowance

Unemployment benefit

Miscellaneous

Certain benefit to be inalienable :

Unemployment benefit

That's interesting. I thought it was only means tested (i.e. income based) job seekers allowance, not unemployment benefit.

is family credit, WFTC or WTC?

All the tax credits are, under seperate legislation.

All the tax credits are, under seperate legislation.

Hi Tomterm,

Would I have to qoute this seperate legislation in my POC to the court? I plan to be using the POC that has been kindly given in my thread on this page. I am in receipt of WTC, CTC & CHild Benefit.

Tax Credits Act 2002 (c. 21) Main body Part 1 Tax credits Supplementary

Version 1 of 1

section .45

Inalienability

(1) Every assignment of or charge on a tax credit, and every agreement to assign or charge a tax credit, is void; and, on the bankruptcy of a person entitled to a tax credit, the entitlement to the tax credit does not pass to any trustee or other person acting on behalf of his creditors.

(2)In the application of subsection (1) to Scotland—

(a)the reference to assignment is to assignation ( “assign” being construed accordingly), and

(b)the reference to the bankruptcy of a person is to the sequestration of his estate or the appointment on his estate of a judicial factor under section 41 of the Solicitors (Scotland) Act 1980 (c. 46).

Wow wow wow long long long thread its taken me just over 3 hrs to reach the last page, and i have the lady screaming at me to finish painting the bathroom at the same time, great thread and some good quotes, have my own thread about charges, so wont mention them on this thread, just a reply to say the information on this thread is usefull and will be appricated by many i'm sure. Good luck every1 and like me i really hope you do continue claiming that has been wrongly taken from you. :)

!2 years Tesco distribution supervisor

7 years Sainsburys Transport Manager

4 Years housing officer ( Lettings )

Partner... 23 Years social services depts

All advice is given through own opition, also by seeking/searching info on behalf of poster, and own personnel dealings.

Awwww.... thank you ;)

Actually, rather than wasting a post... Tomterm, are you really saying that if I am on Working Tax credits and these buggers have taken charges out of my account I can just ask them for them back?

Awwww.... thank you ;)

Actually, rather than wasting a post... Tomterm, are you really saying that if I am on Working Tax credits and these buggers have taken charges out of my account I can just ask them for them back?

Yes.

Unfortunatly, charges can be placed on the rest of your income, however, and so they may simply argue this was what they were doing.

Awwww.... thank you ;)

Now, just had a very interesting conversation with a lady in Abbey regarding TAX credits and charges.

According to her, Working Tax Credits have no influence over the T & C's I signed on my account ( I did? :D ) Charges, no matter what gets paid into my account come out regardless.

On my bank account at least the only monies in over the charges period of my account have been WTC, any other income has come into other accounts so as far as ABBEY are concerned they have taken charges out of WT Credits. They are saying " go check it out with a lawyer or the Tax office " they are right ! I quoted the section 45 of the Tax Credits Act 2002, she says their T & C's are what I am legally tied to - oh yeah? She also tried to fob me off with the OFT test case until I put her right. What are these people trained to do?

Anyone any thoughts on this?

Complaint to DWP, it's illegal, and they should be told the errors of their ways:)

Andrew1 Like many such employees of the banks the 'lady' you spoke to was talking complete & utter nonsense.

Start you action now!

Any stay will not apply to your claim for the return of your benefits as your not claiming they are unlawful but that they where taken unlawfully, contrary to law

In otherwords reclaim the amount of benefits taken & not the amount of charges (which may or may not amount to the same thing)

Benefits which incidental don't belong to you, the recipient, but belong to the state for the upkeep of you, the recipient. This will include any of your Dependants for whom benefits may be received.

Below is Halifax PLC lastest remarks added to customers bank statements:mad:

As part of our commitment to the environment and to cut identity fraud, we are reducing the number of paper

statements we send. From 1st August 2007 accounts credited with an average of less than £500 per month

will receive a paper statement every three months. Accounts with no transactions in the last 6 months

will receive one paper statement per year. If you need a monthly statement, you can receive this online.

now if that aint a pop at the poorer people i dont know what is