• Tweets

• If you're set on pursuing the receiver then a complaint to his governing body (if any) might be a sensible low risk first step. You need to confirm what qualifications he actually has. I don't believe an LPA Receiver necessarily needs to be a licensed insolvency practioner, although he may be. Or he may a chartered surveyor. I note you say "LPA" and "fixed charge" receiver, but aren't those two different appointments with different remits? What relevant powers are given in the mortgage terms and security? Or if that's unclear then how was the appointment described to you? Ducking back to the comment I made earlier, you consulted a solicitor who advised a claim against the receiver. How did he advise that you do so?   Some background reading (accepting it's from 2013 and you may be working off more recent preceded overturning this) .. LPA receivers owe very limited duty to borrowers; a reminder WWW.WRIGHTHASSALL.CO.UK As lenders rely more and more on their powers to appoint an LPA Receiver, a recent case has clarified the Receiver’s obligations, both to the lender and its borrower.  
    • Good Law Project are trying to force HMG to release details of how Sunak's hedge fund made large profits from Moderna. Government ordered to disclose Sunak’s hedge fund emails - Good Law Project GOODLAWPROJECT.ORG Good Law Project has won a battle with the Treasury after it tried to suppress emails between Rishi Sunak and the hedge fund he founded.  
    • Nick Wallis has written up the first day of Angela van den Bogerd's evidence to the inquiry. I thought she was awful. She's decided to go with being not bright enough to spot what was happening over Fujitsu altering entries on the Horizon system, rather than covering up important facts. She's there today as well. The First Lady of Flat Earth – Post Office Scandal WWW.POSTOFFICESCANDAL.UK Angela van den Bogerd, on oath once more It is possible that Angela van den Bogerd and her senior colleagues (Rodric Williams, Mark Davies, Susan...  
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Office Of Fair Trading Test Case

Guest Wild Billy
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5842 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Dear Dear I fear the worse!! You know you will get your bottoms spanked for this. Martin is a hero, a gentleman above all gentlemen, a true campaigner to save us all money.

And you dare to say that??

OH OH what's that I hear? The pitter patter of tiny metal feet?

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dear Dear I fear the worse!! You know you will get your bottoms spanked for this. Martin is a hero, a gentleman above all gentlemen, a true campaigner to save us all money.

And you dare to say that??

OH OH what's that I hear? The pitter patter of tiny metal feet?

Whats this about Edinburgh (lass) and spanking!! :o

Edinburgh has a huge financial centre and plenty of people in the legal system! ;) Why is that I ask! ;)

Looking forward to it Destiny. Oops, did I say that out loud?

Muggy

LTSB £9,356 settled in full through the FOS

SIGN the petition to make banks deal with charges

COMPLAIN to your MP about the FSA waiver and the ANTI-CONSUMER way in which the OFT

Test Case is being handled.

Me, I'll keep following some of the more intelligent campaigns that are beginning to build up here.

Muggy

I must take issue with you here. E-mailing MP's complaining about the waiver is not an intelligent campaign. MP's don't have power to remove it.

Also the £5 figure in point 1 of the charter is there for a very good reason

and one I'm surprised that you can't see, but it's of no relevence to us what we think a fair charge should be because we have no legal right

to set it.

Also the £5 figure in point 1 of the charter is there for a very good reason and one I'm surprised that you can't see,

What reason is that then? To concede to the banks that this is a service charge and not a penalty charge?

If you can see something else then don't keep us guessing.

As to having no legal right to set a fair charge, you are absolutely right. That's why the first point to be settled is whether these are penalties for breach of contract. Then we look at whether the banks are abusing their dominant position over consumers.

By the way, writing to MPs is about creating political noise and putting pressure on the FSA - which a number are already starting to do - to rescind the waiver. I'm surprised you can't see that!

Muggy

COMPLAIN to your MP about the FSA waiver and the ANTI-CONSUMER way in which the OFT

- which a number are already starting to do - to rescind the waiver. I'm surprised you can't see that!

Muggy

No, can't see that nor can I hear any political noises. And why would the

FSA care what MP's think anyway? They're funded by the banks.

The reason for suggesting the £5 figure is the same reason why moaning

to MP's isn't a good idea.

The only people who the movement should be talking to and trying to

influence is the OFT & FSA. If you were either of these two, who would you

be more likely to sit down and talk to? An angry disorganised group of protesters or representitves of 3 established groups who have a clear

published agenda who appear not to be making unreasonable demands? -

the £5 figure being a case in point.

We may well be angry but I for one object to people on this site being called disorganised.

There has been some on here that are working for the good of us all and I think the last thing they, or anyone on here , needs to hear is such negativity.

30-12-2006--Requested statements from Local Halifax.

02-02-2007--Statements Recieved.

18-04-2007--Prelim sent.

20-04-2007--Reply , Thanks , give us 8wks letter.

02-0502007--Sent L.B.A. & Schedule of Charges

11-05-2007--Recieved reply ,still investigating.

17-05-2007--Sent Amended L.B.A. for Contractual Interest this time.

14-06-2007--Received standard Bog Off letter.

13-06-2007--Took N1 to Local Courts.

26-06-2007--Copy of N1 from Court, issued 21-06-2007. to Halifax, Deemed Served 25-06-2007

Have till 09-07-2007 to file Defence.

05-07-2007--Note that Acknowledgment of Service been Filed on 29-06-2007.

Have 28 days from date of Service to File Defence.

07-07-2007--Offer from Halifax.

09-07-2007--Rejection letter sent to Halifax. Next day delivery.

10-07-2007--Money put in Account:mad:

I challenge anyone to read through the posts on these threads and not

be struck by the overwhelmingly negative tone of them, especialy those directed at the most hardworking of all of us - the administrators.

I know people are working hard for the good of us all but I also know

a misguided campaign when I see one.

If I thought that I personally were party to a misguided campaign then I surely would not bother subscribing to it.

18-04-2007--Prelim sent.

26-06-2007--Copy of N1 from Court, issued 21-06-2007. to Halifax, Deemed Served 25-06-2007

I agree completely.

Long live freedom of speech

18-04-2007--Prelim sent.

No, can't see that nor can I hear any political noises. And why would the

FSA care what MP's think anyway? They're funded by the banks.

The reason for suggesting the £5 figure is the same reason why moaning

to MP's isn't a good idea.

influence is the OFT & FSA. If you were either of these two, who would you

be more likely to sit down and talk to? An angry disorganised group of protesters or representitves of 3 established groups who have a clear

published agenda who appear not to be making unreasonable demands? -

the £5 figure being a case in point.

Crfx

I will try not to follow your lead and be insulting but this really does need a response.

1. The OFT and FSA have treated these three groups with contempt. There is no chance that they will sit down with us or anyone else directly representing consumers.

2. There is no published agenda that is consistent among the three groups.

3. If the charter is an attempt to create a unified agenda it is a misguided one and, in the case of Martin Lewis, arrogant.

4. The reason I say that it is misguided is that, in its proposal of a £5 max on charges it goes against all of the advice on challenging charges in court always given on the CAG, all of the thousands of court challenges that have already been successful (albeit untested in court), and the basis of the first legal point to be argued in the test case.

5. If those of us that wish to continue to challenge the lawfulness and not the commercial level of these charges are "An angry disorganised group" then what we should be is an angry organised group.

6. Most comments here and on many other threads are negative about the charter and current behaiour of many campaign leaders. Most are also, rightly, full of praise for their past leadership and success to date.

Let's not spoil it now by raising the white flag!

Muggy

• Haha 1

I have to agree with you Muggy on this, the principal of the lawfulness of the charges has always been the campaign and to read Martin Lewis's so called 'Charter' is a knee jerk response to the announcement of the test case. I was dismayed to see this forums name attached to it. I have been on here since March 06 and it has never been about the commercial level (price) of charges, always the unlawful issue. Even with the £12 OFT guide price for Credit Card transactions, that was never accepted as being the issue and the OFT do not make the laws of the land. The £12 is still unlawful if it exceeds the liquidated loss (cost) so people shouldn't pay it until this cost has been verified if applied as a penalty which it is. (naughty boy, you're late in your payment - there you go that's £12 please!). I would like to see a stand by CAG away from Martin Lewis's Charter although I do not wish to in any way take anything away from Martin Lewis's considerable drive, however motivated, to campaign for the consumer - I just think he was so angry at not being included that he burst a blood vessel as was seen on T.V. and wrote this Charter whilst still picking the toys up that he threw out of the pram. CAG has a magnificent following and needs to capitalise on that with a loud voice.

Top post muggy. Good points well made.

• 04/04/07 - £104 exit fee refund - Portman BS
  • Halifax Current a/c 20yr (closed) - in progress - all 20 years statements recovered!
  • Halifax Platinum Card 15 yr - Court Action Commenced - all 15 years statements recovered!
  • A&L Current a/c - You're next..

Write to your MP and

COMPLAIN about the ANTI-CONSUMER way in which the OFT Test Case is being handled!

IMO: Firstly a joint Charter weakens the position of each party especially where CAG is concerned, personally, I could never see the wisdom of cross promoting MSE and CAG. If they must be seen in bed together then, use the fighting fund 100,000 to take the FSA to court for issuing a waiver which created such an uneven playing field.

The banks are now writing to customers with yet more scare tactics such as : Take our offer or you may get nothing. Where part payments have been received, the banks don't accept this as a partial payment any longer and say they will remove the payment from peoples bank accounts unless you sign the full and final settlement letter.

CAG, go it alone it always worked until now. It is time for positive action.

Let's take our cars to London and block the streets, the French do it all the time especially the farmers...

Donate to keep this site open

Any help or advice is offered as just that, help and advice without any liability. If in doubt consult a legal expert or CAB.

Make Cash Flow Forecast

influence is the OFT & FSA.

You forget the power of public opinion, crfx250. It is the reason sites like this one exist. And once you get the momentum of opinion behind you, politicians tend to act.

Bin the 'charter'.

• Halifax Current a/c 20yr (closed) - in progress - all 20 years statements recovered!
  • Halifax Platinum Card 15 yr - Court Action Commenced - all 15 years statements recovered!

Write to your MP and

COMPLAIN about the ANTI-CONSUMER way in which the OFT Test Case is being handled!

Macboy could borrow Monty's old tank!

MacBoy doesn't need another tank :lol:

Write to your MP and

IMO: use the fighting fund 100,000 to take the FSA to court for issuing a waiver which created such an uneven playing field....

So let me get this right. You want to use £100.000 of other people's money - much of it belonging to ML (and myself I might add) to challenge

the FSA's waiver decision? On what legal basis? There isn't one.

The Charter was not ML's idea either and it is still only a draft.

Hi All

IMO: Firstly a joint Charter weakens the position of each party especially where CAG is concerned, personally, I could never see the wisdom of cross promoting MSE and CAG. If they must be seen in bed together then, use the fighting fund 100,000 to take the FSA to court for issuing a waiver which created such an uneven playing field. Totally agree!

The banks are now writing to customers with yet more scare tactics such as : Take our offer or you may get nothing. Where part payments have been received, the banks don't accept this as a partial payment any longer and say they will remove the payment from peoples bank accounts unless you sign the full and final settlement letter. Under what leglisation do they have the lawful right to unilaterally remove any money from people's bank accounts? I do not believe they have that right!

CAG, go it alone it always worked until now. It is time for positive action. Again, totally agree!

Let's take our cars to London and block the streets, the French do it all the time especially the farmers...

Hope my comments are useful. All the best - Adam

I do my best to be helpful, but at the end of the day I'm not a professional - please seek further advice if you're not sure. On the other hand, if I have helped, please click my scales - thanks ;)

Current Claims (all for friends!) -

Abbey - over £4k - Court claim issued & AQ filed ('Tish vs Abbey'). Alloc'n Hearing 21 Sept - Claim stayed 29/8/07.

Cap One - just under £2k - WON (just over 2k!)('Tish vs Cap One')

Cap One - just under £1000 - WON (just over £1k) Nov 07 (JimmyBoy vs Cap One)

Lloyds TSB - £3.5k - Court claim issued, defence rec'd and AQ filed; Alloc'n hearing 7th Sept Claim stayed 29/8/07! (JimmyBoy vs Lloyds')

MBNA - over £1k for mis-sold PPI - WON - approx £1500(IpswichWitch vs MBNA . . .)

crfx250:

Pledges of over £100,000 to support legal fighting fund.

MoneySavingExpert.com and ConsumerActionGroup.co.uk, as well as private individuals, have pledged over £100,000 to a legal fund, which if activated will be held in trust by the Govan Law Centre. The fund will be activated if a suitable opportunity for a precedent setting bank charges claim arises.

I did not say the cost of any action would be £100K.

From the FSA web site:

We are the UK’s financial watchdog set up by the government to regulate financial services and protect your rights.
Thirdly, they clearly have not acted in the public interest by issuing a waiver. Again I quote from their website on complaints:

We have a formal complaints scheme to deal with any complaint against the FSA. You can use this to complain about the way we have carried out, or failed to carry out, any of our functions. We will then investigate your complaint.

It is time to take action as in Consumer Action Group.

I'm not a lawyer but I can see what is right and what is wrong and at the moment I firmly believe as much pressure should be put on the FSA to remove the waiver for claimants.

So let me get this right. You want to use £100.000 of other people's money - much of it belonging to ML (and myself I might add) to challenge

the FSA's waiver decision? On what legal basis? There isn't one.

Sorry, perhaps I misunderstood the purpose of the fighting fund, it does show up all over google. I'm sure enough people would be willing to donate to this if a way can be found.

FSA Complaints

Any help or advice is offered as just that, help and advice without any liability. If in doubt consult a legal expert or CAB.

Make Cash Flow Forecast

You want to use £100.000 of other people's money - much of it belonging to ML (and myself I might add)

cfrx250 - hope you don't mind me asking - you refer to some of the fighting fund as being your money - do you mean your donation, or are you involved with CAG in some other way?

Write to your MP and

The European Convention on Human Rights was built into UK law under the Human Rights Act 1998. It includes the right to a fair trial, freedom of thought and expression, and respect for family and private life. All public authorities, including the courts, must comply with these rights. However, if they conflict with an Act of Parliament, the courts can make a declaration of incompatibility and Parliament must then decide what to do.

Make Cash Flow Forecast

crfx250:

I did not say the cost of any action would be £100K.

From the FSA web site:

Thirdly, they clearly have not acted in the public interest by issuing a waiver. Again I quote from their website on complaints:

It is time to take action as in Consumer Action Group.

I'm not a lawyer but I can see what is right and what is wrong and at the moment I firmly believe as much pressure should be put on the FSA to remove the waiver for claimants.

Sorry, perhaps I misunderstood the purpose of the fighting fund, it does show up all over google. I'm sure enough people would be willing to donate to this if a way can be found.

FSA Complaints

This is painfuly simple. You simply cannot take the FSA to court on the basis that you don't like the waiver. They have a statutory right to introduce it. You'd be wasting money and losing gobs of credibility in the process.

The fighting fund was set up to finance test cases.