Landlord wants to carry out extensive builing work

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6144 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Can anybody help on this one?

My son is a medical student and rents a house with 4 others. The council have ruled that rooms have to be of a certain size for renting. My son's room is smaller than the specified size. However they have also said that if a room is already occupied and the tenant is happy the work does not have to be completed in the lifetime of that tenancy.

The Landlord however has decided that he wants to go ahead with the work ( which involves knocking down walls) and this work will, apparently take about 3 weeks. My son and the others have asked the landlord not to do the work. Failing to get an agreement they have pointed out that he should be prepared to accomodate them elsewhere during this period or waive their rent.

The landlord has responded by telling them that he does not want to deal with 'greedy people' and that he will terminate their contrabt after 6 months. they have just signed a contract for 12 months but it has a clause that says it can be terminated after 6 months.

This will cause major difficulties for the young people who are up to their eyeballs in exam, clinicals etc.

Can he use such bullying tactics with impunity?

If anyone can advise I would be really grateful. All this is clashing with exams and adding stress that they just do not need.se

Unfortunately, eviction can be executed by the landlord for no reason - this is perfectly legal. However, there are almost certainly going to be legal flaws in his eviction process, which can be challenged and probably allow your son to stay longer. However, do they really want this stress? The landlord is clearly unreasonable, I would suggest that the easiest solution is to look for another property.

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!