• Tweets

• Hugo, how are you getting on? the deadlines can creep up on you. It's useful to have a week or two in drafting a defence, so you can understand it for yourself before submitting. Read other like threads for examples and tailor to suit you. Get one drafted and posted (without personal info) and let us take a look
    • OK thx jk2054 I'll go that route, does anybody have any positive reviews of NWNF law firms they've had experience with? I did consider InjuryLawyers4u, but apparently they're more of a broker, & who you end up dealing with can be hit & miss.  Would rather try & get a sharp firm that are on-top of things if possible.   
    • I posted my letter off but over 2 weeks later I've had a visit from one of their reps. I didn't indulge him in any conversation, and I just stated that any such debts are statute-barred and closed the door on him. I was hoping they'd take notice of the letter. Where do I go from here? Thanks
    • I apologise if I was being unclear. Where it currently stands is that they will have it repair, placing scaffolding in our garden for 5 days. They have moved fast, but we will still have to postpone our contractors, meaning, we won't necessarily have the work done in time for the wedding and therefore will incur additional expenses for either a marquee or a wedding venue. They are vehemently against having any kind of liability in any regard but continue repeating that they are legally entitled to use our garden for their repairs (I believe this is true unless the work can be carried out using a cherry picker). The neighbour seems either indifferent or oblivious to the fact they can't reach all of the side of the roof from the space where they can place the scaffolding. They have asked their roofer of choice about using a cherry picker but the roofer has said it wasn't possible. It's not clear whether the roofer doesn't want to use a cherry picker or whether there is an issue with it. They have told us it is a problem that we are installing a gazebo as it will prevent them to access their roof from our garden in the future?!?  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

SLC Cannot Supply The Original Agreement

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5480 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No wonder they didnt take you seriously!

Phone Consumer Direct (Trading Standards) on Monday, anyway. (Fat lot of good it wll do, but at least your case will be logged.)

Then find a solicitor who knows about consumer issues. The CAB will be able to help.

Thanks noomill, They provided me with a copy of my precontractual agreement (unsigned, undated and created that day i imagine) and a letter thanking me for accepting it as a true copy (obviously i did nothing of the sort). I replied with a letter saying they are still in default and they had 14 days to show me a £0 balance or id start court action. They have indeed reduced the account balance to £0 by closing it and passing it to metropolitan !!

Any pointers to the actual harassment template would be great as i get lost in that template library for hours if i try to find anything : )

HI

I know the gut reaction to this type of thing is hard to resist .

But what i have done on a couple of occasions for members of the CU is to ring the DCA and tell them that the debt is in dispute and that they have in effect bought a turkey.

Get the persons name you are speaking to and copy him athe initioal request with a covering letter stating the default that the agreement is currently under ,I think you will find that the account is passed back to the source pretty sharpish,

Just my experiance.

Best regards

Peter

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES TO COLD CALLERS PROMISING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS

Hi Peter, just a quick one as i know your busy, Would you reccomend sending the harassment letter and another CCA to Metropolitan, even though HSBC still havent provided me with one for the same debt ?

Cheers

HI another tactic is to send them a letter quoting secton 189 definitions

“creditor” means the person providing credit under a consumer credit agreement or the person to whom his rights and duties under the agreement have passed by assignment or operation of law, and in relation to a prospective consumer credit agreement, includes the prospective creditor;

Include acopy of the 77 request and tell them that itis now them that are in default and the same time scale applies.

This usually has the same ffect as the above,it also helps if you thorow inthe possible effect none compliance will have on their liscence to offer credit

Regards

Peter

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS

hope you don't mind me putting this post on here but it's been such a good thread it deserves to keep going.i've sent off the first letter to blair. oliver scott and ldc,their 12 working days were up 31may, i've had nothing back from them, not even the usual blank cc agreement copy and knowing how nasty b.o.s can be i'm wondering what they have in mind for me.do i wait the further 30 days out or is their another letter to be written.i'd really appreciate some help please.:|

Hiya conchy_joe

I wouldn't write back to them - let them hang themselves.

You've done what you are lawfully entitled to do, if they ignore your CCA request and go into default/criminal offence territory then that's their problem. Hopefully you sent your request by recorded delivery and can track and trace that they received your CCA at a later date if you need to?

I've got a couple of DCAs who have done the same with me - no response whatsoever (although I have checked and they signed for my CCAs) and they are now well over the timelimits all round. I shan't be contacting them, but if they contact me now I will take great delight in writing back and informing them of their default.

I'd let sleeping dogs lie for now. Just my opinion from my own experience.

If they do write to you, start a new thread and let us know what excuses or otherwise they come up with so peeps on here can advise you further.

Best wishes!

Spiritgirl ;)

Please note I am not legally qualified, I am offering advice based on my own personal experience in the hope that it may be of help to others in a similar situation.

HI

I think we should take some affirative action about the discraceful none action of the OFT.

What i am suggesting is a letter of complaint to the DTI with a few examples on board.

I would like this to be a joint effort so what i have done is produce a rough draft document and invite modifications and especially cases that comply in the form of X verses y defaulted such adate reprted to OFT sucha date no action taken .

just copy the document and post any recomendations to changes in tthe form of the letter and esecially your experiances with the OFT I would hope to get this in the post by the end of the week preferably sooner

Best regards

and here it is Peter

Date

Ian McCarty DTI

Ref: refusal or inability for the OFT to enforce defaults and offences of the consumer credit act 1974.

Dear Sirs

We write to you in a matter of great concern regarding the above.

Currently there are a number of creditors that blatantly disregard the requests made by members of the public to provide information as regulated by section180 of the act.

We have a number of records of cases where creditors have failed to comply with the copy of documents regulations in particular sections 77-78 and are currently in the position where they are not only in default by none compliance but have committed an offence.

The designated procedure in these cases is to report the offence to the OFT for investigation and subsequent prosecution if required.

We find however that the response we receive from the OFT is that they cannot afford to pursue the action.

The result of this is that the creditor continues unlawfully to pursue the debt.

A brief example of the cases currently in this position detailed below

Example

• 12 May 2007: Request received by capital one for copy documents undet section 77.
  • 26th May 2007:No response after first statutory period 12 working days they are now in default.
  • 26th May2007 Offence reported to OFT 25th May Case Number ********
  • Creditor continues unlawful pursuance of debt.
  • 26th June 2007:Stil no response From Capital with correct documentation.
  • 27th june the creditor have now committed an offence this is reported again to the OFT.
  • No action taken by OFT due to shortage of recources.
  • Creditor continues to unlawfully pursue agreement irrespetive of the legisation.

Obviously your details will be different you may not have a case nimbler or you may not have reported until after the full 42 days just adapt where necessary.

You can PM me and i will add the details to the letter or Copy and paste this posting back on the thread with your details on it and I will combine it with the others, (with the posters permission) before i send the completed letter. I will post it in full in case the are any alteration people want to make.

If there are any details you want to send but do not want posting let me know and i will leave them off the final posting but include them in the letter.

I do not want anyone to take offence at me doing this off the cuff but we need to do something.

Best regards

Peter

HI RE Letter to DTI regarding none compliance with section77-78 requests

I wondered if it would simplify matters if we put the information in a standard form. If you are in the situation of have notified the OFT or T/S and are having no luck perhaps you would copy this to a word doc fill it in and email it to

[email protected]

Type of request (section 77/78)

Date Request sent

Response within 12 working days if any

Response within 42 days if any

Date default reported to OFT/TS

Case Number given if any

Response from OFT

Comments on conduct of creditor whilst in default if applicable

Comments on feedback from OFT/ TS

Hi there. I have been reading this thread for quite a few months now and have now also been pointed here for anyone who can offer me a bit of advice with my own problem please. Could someone please have a look at what has been happening over the last 12 months with regards to my CCA request and give me any advice on what you think would be appreciated. Thanks

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/data-protection-default-issues/85122-success-against-bos-default.html#post767599

If you find this info useful please click on the scales in the bottom left corner of the thread :wink:

Vodafone To Remove Default Notices thread

Paid In Full HSBC Was Claiming £3851.42 But Instead of Paying Me Decided to pay my £4900 Loan OffDG Solictors. Need Help

Concluded Lloyds TSB 27/05/2006 Action Against LloydsTSB

Concluded Lloyds TSB for Girlfriend. 27/05/2006

Paid In Full Capital One £160 Settled

Paid In Full Capital One Sent 15/05/06 for £1372 for Girlfriend

Paid In Full Cetelem £130 Settled

Paid In Full The AA £400 Settled

Paid In Full First National £160 Settled

PDA LloydsTsb Credit Card Hand Delivered 26/04/06 £180

hi peter, i'm still trying to find the relevent OFT address to complain to re' "reliable",i phoned the OFT # on the web but the guy i spoke to was a chocolate teapot.do you have the address or could you tell me where it is in our archives.thanks..cj.

hi peter, i'm still trying to find the relevent OFT address to complain to re' "reliable",i phoned the OFT # on the web but the guy i spoke to was a chocolate teapot.do you have the address or could you tell me where it is in our archives.thanks..cj.

I sent mine here and got a reply within a week ...

Andy Lowther,

Enquires and Preliminary Investigations Centre,

Office of Fair Trading,

Fleetbank House,

2 - 6 Salisbury Square,

London.

EC4Y 8JX

HI

Usually peaople register thier complaint through consumer direct thier web site is here

Consumer Direct - Contact us

Regards

Petr

hi peter, i did go on that website and phoned the number given,that's when i encountered the "teapot", it advised me to write to the Consumer Centre in birmingham.i think i'll write to the address tifo suggested...many thanks..cj.

HI

I had the same problem but i badgered my way past them and eventually got the complaint registered.

Anyway more than one way to skin a cat.

Peter

Also if the DCA claim to have 'purchased' the debt have you considered 'advising' (assuming there is such a claim) that as they now 'own' the contract with all it's rights, privileges & liabilities you intend reclaiming your charges from 'them'

The fact that they will have failed to act with due diligence when purchasing the debt or seek an indemnity from the OC is their problem not yours. Scares the h*** out of them.

Also enough such claims may well stop the banks selling our debts & details to these companies

i understand where you're coming from pliny, but quite honestly i just want these parasites off my back.once i can relegate "reliable" to the trash can, i can turn my attention to LDC and B.O.S. they have both got 21 days left until they commit an offence.