Student Finance

BartSimpson99
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 231 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello, 

Hopefully someone here will be able to assist with this. 

I got married during my time as a student in 2021 and was paid 2 out of 3 adult’s dependants grant to myself but unfortunately ended up divorcing quite early (after 2nd payment) to which I then informed Student Finance and my final payment was cancelled. 

In December 2022, 8 months before I was meant to graduate, I began receiving calls regarding the repayment of this and advisors on the phone told me they were unable to tell me the reason for the overpayment and I would have to call up to ask (their waiting times are like 30-45 minutes on phone). I never found myself having that much time to call, although one lady who called me after regarding the overpayment then told me I had not provided evidence of the date of divorce which I had uploaded onto my account soon as I received it. She said the only way would be to call one of the advisors. 

I ignored future calls as I was busy and they would only call for about 10-15 seconds at a time expecting me to run to my phone and pick it up. I sent a letter to them mid August via first class and ended up with no response but a letter today saying my £2062 grant overpayment has now been handed to a debt collection agency. 

Their business hours have now changed to weekdays only and I’m due to start my new job Monday where I’m working the same hours as their opening times. 

Could anyone advise on what to do next as they have no email to contact, their lines are unreachable and they don’t even respond to letters! 

Use the complaints process link below and if the debt collection company write to you, send them a copy of the complaint.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Which powerless DCA have they farmed it out to?

Don't be in the slightest bit concerned about the DCA, they have NO legal powers to do anything, plus the letters you receive from them are simply spat out by a computer.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!