Pipex ignored cancellation

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5892 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I wrote a letter to Pipex at the end of my contract in October 2006 cancelling their service, I then proceeded to cancel my direct debit to them. This was because I was moving away from my aunts back to london.

I have now just recieved a letter saying I owe them £200, this is the first correspondance i've had from them since I wrote them the cancellation letter, and I got my aunt to check today and the internet is still active there.

Where do I stand?

Guest weegirl

I had this problem with UK Online - who then refused to close my account until the bill was paid (which they cannot do). Pipex will be able to tell if the service has been used or not. Obviously as your aunt did not know it was still on, your account will show that there have been no downloading or surfing.

They will probably try being awkard about it and refuse to budge, but you could try and negotiate with them and ask them to be reasonable first of all. At the end of the day, if you have moved, there is little chance of them ever getting this money and they know it. Even if they did push it, the service has not been used - this wouldn't look good for them in a small claims court.

I presume the account is in your name as you were paying the bills? If so, I would ring, record the call. I have found with these companies they say plenty over the phone but if you write to confirm this information, they ignore you. Once you have the conversation recorded, they can't backtrack. You don't have to inform them you are recording, it is not illegal to record your own telephone conversations.

You can get various equipment to do this, but I just put my house phone on loudspeaker and used my voice recorder on my mobile.

Confirm the (non) usage first of all. Confirm the reason you cancelled (not your new address though!) and try reasoning with them. Be nice to start with, sometimes you catch more flies with honey than vinegar. Point out that you did cancel, you can provide a copy of the letter and that the service was not used, which backs up what you are saying. I would not let on that your aunt lived at the address the broadband was, that's none of their business, as far as they are concerned you just rented a room in a house and then moved away.

Back up this call with a letter sent recorded delivery. You may be lucky and get someone who is willing to work with you and sort this out straight away.

Keep us posted if they won't negotiate.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

FORGET IT:

Here is my battle with PIPEX/TISCALI.. I have now migrated to another ISP:

Sorry but my request was made on 9th December 2007.

Once again you are clearly failing to check your records.smile_angry.gif

As far as Im concerned there is no outstanding amount as I followed all your rules of termination of contract

It is you have failed to keep accurate records, and so therefore why dont you take it up with OFCOM to clarify your position.

Also one of your customer service managers gave a free months connection due to PIPEX's incompetence so take as that as payment in full as I never used the month

If you wish to take this further then you will now have to take this up with OFCOM and my solicitors and will dearly love to prove how TISCALI/PIPEX are so incompetent !!

Oh and by the way do not expect me to phone you. So stop inviting me to call you. If you so wish to speak to me you have my number,

why dont you call me after 9pm weekdays and I will be more than happy to put PIPEX/TISCALI in their place.

CHECK YOUR RECORDS !!!!! and if YOU HAVEN'T TERMINATED MY CONNECTION YET, WHY AM I CONNECTED WITH MY NEW ISP PROVIDER AND HOW THE HELL ARE THEY ABLE TO PROVIDE A SERVICE TO ME AND WHY DO I NOW HAVE A NEW IP address ?

YOU PATHETIC INCOMPETENT BUFFOONS !

Dear Customer Recently you requested personal assistance from our on-line support center. Below is a summary of your request and our response.[/font]

Subject

Termination

Discussion Thread

Response (Amina Olijade)

20/02/2008 04.10 PM

Dear Mr L......

Thank you for your e-mail

I have looked through your account and according to the notes on it, we contacted you in December regarding the Mac code but there was no response from you.

We have now proceeded with the cancellation of your account which will be done on the 7th March 2008. As you are aware, we do require 30 days notice for the cancellation of an account. As you requested your Mac code end of December, you will still be required to make payment of the last bill which runs until January.

If you require any further assistance, do not hesitate to contact Customer Services on 0871 222 5550.

Kind Regards,

Amina Olajide

Customer Liaison

Pipex Internet Ltd

Tel: 0871 222 5550

Web: http:llwww.pipex.co.uk

Customer

18/02/2008 04.26 PM

==================== text File Attachment ====================

Attachment 2.txt, 12081 bytes, added to incident

Response (Stevie Nash)

18/02/2008 12.36 PM

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your email.

I can confirm that unfortunately i was unable to open the attachment to this email.

Please paste the text of this attachment in the reply email so that we can deal with your issue as soon as possible.

We are sorry for any inconvenience caused.

If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to contact us.

Kind Regards

Miss Stevie Nash

Customer Care Email Team

Pipex

Telephone number:0871 222 5550.

Fax number:0871 222 6373.

http://www.pipex.co.uk

This email is subject to http://pipex.net/disclamer.net

*Calls charged at 10p/min from a BT line or calls charged by Pipex at 5p/min. Calls from mobiles and other providers may vary.

Customer

17/02/2008 06.26 PM

==================== text File Attachment ====================

Attachment 1.txt, 45752 bytes, added to incident

Response (Stevie Nash)

15/02/2008 12.27 PM

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your email.

I can confirm that i have checked your account and i can confirm that your account with us is still live.

In order to initiate a cancellation request please contact our cancellations team on 0871 222 6366. Opening hours: 9am - 6pm, Monday - Friday.

This enables us to perform the necessary security checks to ensure all requests originate from the account holder. It also gives us the opportunity to discuss your reasons for migrating.

Please note that the cancellation of your broadband connection may incur a cancellation fee if you are still within your contract period. The cancellation fee would consist of any remaining months of your contract.

If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to contact us.

Kind Regards

Miss Stevie Nash

Customer Care Email Team

Pipex

Telephone number:0871 222 5550.

Fax number:0871 222 6373.

http://www.pipex.co.uk

This email is subject to http://pipex.net/disclamer.net

*Calls charged at 10p/min from a BT line or calls charged by Pipex at 5p/min. Calls from mobiles and other providers may vary.

Customer

14/02/2008 08.27 PM

Username: aowoXXX

Query: Hello,

Pipex, I have terminated my contract with you on 3rd Jan 08 so why am still receving invoices from you.

Question Reference No080214-003874

Date Created:

14/02/2008 08.27 PM

Last Updated:

20/02/2008 04.10 PM

Awaiting Customer

Tiscali TV:

A hitla, what memories your post ignited. Being repeatedly asked to phone them (at my cost of curse) and them completely ignoring my demand they call me if they want to sort out their error.

In my case, months after canceling the service in writing (and canceling the DD with the bank in writing!) and then having the bank account details changed for other reasons (not connected to them), I discovered that they were still debiting the account on a monthly basis.

The question that leapt to mind was how on earth did they get the new bank account details? It was the same bank but different details...

There was only one possibility -- the bank had provided the information to them.

Letter after letter to the bank, dozens of emails to and from the ISP covering a period of well over a year eventually resulted in a full refund from the bank (but only after I wrote to the head man in their Inspectorate Dept).

I was so incensed I compiled a full file took it to the police and lodged a formal complaint of fraud. The police wrote to the ISP. The ISP didn't bother to answer them and so our beloved boys in blue simply shrugged their shoulders and dropped the investigation.

What a world.

• 3 weeks later...

I have found Pipex to be one of the rudest most arrogant group of people to deal with. Having paid more for 2 meg broadband because it was a home office account than most people were paying for 8 meg they finally changed me over last september. While I was at it I moved to 8 ip's. It took nearly five months to get the ip information from them so I lost patience and after ten years of being a customer, I obtained my mac code and moved to Tiscali.

At the end of last month and without any warning they debited my account to the tune of 208.71 plus 35.54 for the following month. To date I have djust had the usual arrogant responses.

My mother has been complaining about having constantly no connection for the last month or so and it has taken three weeks to get a response. When they phoned her last year to suggest she upgrade to 8 meg and take their poxy call service she asked them to send her the details in writing to confirm what was happening and what that meant as she is deaf and even with a hearing aid and her phone on speaker she still has trouble understanding things on the phone but they failed to do so. They have told her it will cost £112 and some pence to cancel her contract and that the original T&C's stand leaving no need for further written details.

I have told them I will happily take this to court and contacted the BBC Watchdog programme, anyone else who wants to do this with me is more than welcome. If we deal with these people as a group rather than individuals they may take note.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I would love to take some action as a group of ex pipex customers!

Please let me when you have a few folks on board I would relish the opportunity to take Pipex to the cleaners!

regards,

Thorn