• Tweets

• Hi everyone, I have an update on my case that I’d like to share with you all.  so after submitting 371 pages in my bundle, a witness statement and skeleton argument for my court case due to take place in Manchester on June 21st I got an email from my litigator stating that hmrc have pulled out and the case is now closed!    this is the body of the letter….. This letter, which is copied to the Appellant, pursuant to Rule 17 of the Tribunal Procedure (First-tier Tribunal) (Tax Chamber) Rules 2009, the Respondents gives notice to the Tribunal of their intention to not defend the above appeal.   The Respondents respectfully invite the Tribunal to allow the appeal and close its file. In lieu of the above the Respondents would respectfully ask the Tribunal to vacate the hearing scheduled for Friday 21 June 2024. We would accordingly invite the Tribunal to close its file. Obviously this is extremely good news which hasn’t sunk in that after 3 years of fighting it is over.    I do have a further fight on my hands in that the Group Action I had joined with Independent Tax that had been disbanded in November last year and I chose not to continue with them. They are trying to bill me over 5k for the work they did under that Group Action which is ludicrous bearing in mind the whole point in joining was that it would keep the cost to a minimum as it would be shared between us all. They had asked if I wanted to continue to have them represent me on an individual level which I declined, if I hadn’t, goodness knows what they would have been trying to charge me now. 
    • President Ruto says Kenyans pay less tax than citizens in some other African countries.View the full article
    • As PM Sunak really showed his true colours at the D Day Commemorations by doing what? Oh I am the British PM lets just leave early I have better things to do and as he is called out on disrespecting all those veterans that served our country for the freedoms we have today he gives a groveling apology to little to late. He knew about this event for a long time and also knew that this is probably the last D Day Commemoration due to the age of those Veterans who gave so much for there countries freedom. Even on the day of the D Day Commemoration he still could have changed his plans As PM and stayed but choose not to showing such DISRESPECT to those Veterans, those that lost there lives and Families for the Freedoms we have today Being a Veteran myself I have never known a PM to show such disrespect what the hell was he thinking SHAME ON YOU PM SUNAK  
    • Thanks. We'll try to help over the weekend. If the hearing is on 05/07 then it's 90% sure that the deadline for filing your WS is 21/06.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Freemans Catalogue

racer1
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6172 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I ordered a couple of items from the above before I went on holiday, but they didn't arrive in time [they came literally just as we were leaving]. Stupidly, I signed for them instead of just sending the courier away with them to return them via the Freemans courier service.

The difficulty I have is with the courier. I used to use Next sometimes, who have the same courier [i didn't know this before using Freemans] and the main reason I stopped using Next was because of the courier - I called to return an item as it was smashed and another was faulty, the courier never returned the calls and it took three weeks for the items to be collected - and when the courier came she was rude and abusive and then one of the items never even made it back to the warehouse so I had a long battle to get my money back!

Anyway, to return the items to Freemans I decided to call them directly instead of the courier based on the previous poor experiences. I advised them that I am only in from 8 each evening due to work, and that I won't be in this weekend. I got home just before 8 last night and found a calling card from the courier saying to leave items outside and she'd collect today.

Quite simply I'm not happy leaving the goods outside on the doorstep because of the previous experiences with items going missing. I know she works in the evenings because one of my annoyances when using Next was her delivering items at 10PM. My worry is the Freemans site states they have a 14 day return policy and giving it to courier is not confirmation you're within that policy, it's when the office gets it which now I'll be outside I think. They may then make an admin charge for each item received [on what grounds I'm not sure...]

I've spoken to Freemans directly today who say they'll arrange another delivery and again request after 8pm but does anyone have any advice please? Thanks.

Guest weegirl

Do you have a neighbour or an alternative address you could get them picked up from? I don't think I need to point out that you (or someone) needs to sign something to say that the item has been collected in case it gets lost or nicked on the way back.

Can't get it picked up from work, and a] don't know neighbours well enough as not been there too long and b] think they're all at work during the day too. The signature is the whole issue really...!

I know that Freemans used to offer a "returns label" service where you stuck the label on the parcel, took it to the post office and sent back to freemans, free of charge. This is what I used to do with them all the time at my old address, when for the most part they did not offer courier delivery/collection (it was delivered by Royal Mail too). Perhaps give them a ring and ask if they can do that for you?

Back to this - had another card from the courier on Friday and she also turned up on Saturday. My other half was in, which wasn't expected, and so the goods weren't ready for her to collect ie he didn't know where they were and couldn't get hold of me. I hadn't let him know having not expected her to come - on Friday I had a conversation with Freemans and they agreed to send the labels out.

From everything my partner's said, she was rude, abusive and not very nice to him at all and admitted she'd been trying to gain access to various outbuildings of our property incase it was there - he told her not to do this as it could be seen as trespassing, and I'd told Freemans a number of times nothing would be left outside. I stopped using Next because this courier was rude etc.

On Monday I emailed Freemans [sarah Gibbs] and asked for a reply by the close of business yesterday [Weds]. I had a reply today asking for my address details so they can respond. I have replied to that email, also pointing out there are still no address labels.

As I've said before, I just want rid of these goods and the £40 odd refunded. I've now communicated clearly with Freemans by email and by phone - apart from writing a letter what can I do?

Right still nothing - here are all the emails so far. Any advice please?!

C&p all so a bit long, need to start from the bottom!

I have still received no response to the below email. It has now been four weeks since the good were delivered and nearly three that I have been trying to return them, with appalling customer service both on the phone and by email. I expect a response to my earlier email.

Suze

Note: forwarded message attached.

Date:Mon, 9 Jul 2007 09:04:49 +0100 (BST)

Subject:Re: Unacceptable service

To: "Employee"

Dear Sarah,

I fail to understand why there's been such a delay in replying - I contacted you a week ago yet your website says responses are normally within 24 hours?

I have received some paperwork but no idea if it was from Freemans or not - I was expecting pre-paid postage labels as advised by your customer service rep, but have received labels which will be paid when they reach you - no letter, covering note, compliments slip or anything to link them to your company - perhaps you could confirm whether this is supposed to be what I use?

Best wishes,

Bispers

Employee [email protected] wrote:

If replying to this e-mail please quote ref; XXXX

Dear Ms XXX

Thank you for your e-mail. Please accept our apologies for the delay replying .

We trust that you have now received the required paperwork to return your goods .Please let us know if this is not the case and we will arrange to send this again .

We're sorry to hear of the difficulties you have had with our courier service service recently. Your comments have been noted .

Kind regards,

Employee

05/07/07 14:17

ShowLetter?box=Sent&MsgId=893_10416326_54277_624_5850_0_4255_23685_3679665932&bodyPart=2.3&YY=70559&y5beta=yes&y5beta=yes&order=down&sort=date&pos=0&view=a&head=b&Idx=3

To: employee [email protected]

Subject: Re: Unacceptable service

I have still not received the labels your customer service rep assured me would be sent, and I am not impressed it has taken this long to respond to my previous email. Please find below the information you need.

ADDRESS

xxxx

xxx

xxx

xxx

DOB XXXXX

I expect a response to my earlier complaints by the close of business tomorrow, Friday 6th July 2007.

Bispers

Employee wrote:

Thank you for your recent email.

Unfortunately to enable us to look into this matter for you we require the following information:-

Account Number (if applicable):

House ID:

Street:

District:

Town:

County:

Post Code:

Date of birth:

On receipt of the above we will contact you again.

If you have any further questions or comments about the service we offer, please contact us - we're here to help.

When replying to this e-mail, please attach your original e-mail to ensure a speedy and accurate response.

Kind regards,

Freemans employee's name here

ShowLetter?box=Sent&MsgId=893_10416326_54277_624_5850_0_4255_23685_3679665932&bodyPart=2.7&YY=70559&y5beta=yes&y5beta=yes&order=down&sort=date&pos=0&view=a&head=b&Idx=3

Subject: Unacceptable service

Dear xxx,

I recently placed my first order with your company but have been left extremely disappointed by the level of service recevied. The goods were received on Tuesday 12th June but this was too late as I left to go on holiday that day. Upon my return I contacted Freemans directly to request a collection of the items to be returned. I had in the past used the Next Directory but had stopped using them due to the poor service and rudeness of their courier and found when my items were delivered that it was the same lady, "XYZ."

Having spent a month before with Next trying to return the items and the courier not returning calls I contacted your collections department directly. I stressed that I was not there at the weekend [30th June / 1st July] and could only guarantee being in from 8pm midweek because of work. One of the previous issues with the courier and Next was her delivering items at 10pm, so I had no reason to believe the collection in the evening would be an issue.

I received calling cards on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday of last week and made subsequent calls to your collections department to again stress I would not be there until 8pm. I have no idea what time the courier called as the calling cards were blank save for her name and telephone number - no information as to what company she was collecting for or the time of her visit. One of the cards requested that I leave the items outside the front door, which I was not happy doing. I leave the house at 6.15am and return at 8pm so they could be left there for many hours and previously this courier had "lost" items when returning to another company - and that was when I handed them over to her face to face.

I called your collections department again and let them know I would not be leaving the items outside the door, and again stressing that I was not in until 8pm each evening during the week. The courier called again on Saturday [30th June] and unexpectedly my partner was in. As he was due to be out and I was not in and not expecting a collection, he was unaware as to where the goods were.

The courier then became nothing short of rude and abusive. She accused my partner and I of being "awkward" - all along I have made it clear when we would be there so there were should be no wasted journeys. She started to complain about where we live and the distance to her house, the fact she has a full time job and two children. She also admitted she had tried to gain access to our outbuildings. My partner advised her that this was private property and could be seen as trespassing - I had clearly stated to your "customer service" advisors that no items would be left outside. If I find your courier trying to gain access to any of my property again, please be assured that the relevant authorities will be informed. My partner also advised that he had no idea where the items were, which she said she did not believe and again accused us of being "awkward". In short, I want the items returned asap and my money refunded - there should be no need for all of this hassle. The information I have given to your collections department has been accurate all along - and last week I was in from 8pm on every evening so the items could be collected.

Your courier's personal circumstances are none of my business ie her children, and vice versa, but the last thing I expect is rudeness. There seem to be some severe lack of communication between your returns department and your courier, and a severe lack of so called "service" with your courier. Having worked in the customer service and hospitality industry for a good few years, I know what to expect.

I still have the items in my possession and am awaiting pre-paid postage labels to be sent to me, as advised by a member of your team. Furthermore, my first experience of Freemans has only been a poor one, and I doubt I shall be using your company again. I would suggest better communication links are put in place and you actually do something about your courier.

I expect to hear from you about the above matters by the close of business this Wednesday, 4th July.

Kind regards,

Bispers

What happened with this ?

I would have ordered something else from Freemans (that wont fit through the letterbox) , when the courier tries to deliver it refuse delivery and hand back the goods you wish to return (they get paid extra for collecting returns)

These big catalogue companies tend to be based in very low class areas - so you will deal with staff from these areas and they will forget that you might not live in such an area

Yorkshire born and Yorkshire bred, thick in the arm and thick in the head

Had email confirming that the pieces of paper they sent were the returns forms. They said it was pre-paid postage labels they'd send, instead it was bits of paper saying will be paid at the other end with nothing to say who it was from. Sending items back tomorrow and then will chase chase chase for refund as getting very very fed up now!