Query on two months notice!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6183 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My daughter has received two months notice from the landlord after the six month shorthold was up.

Based on monthly rent - when a tenant gives a months notice it has to end either on or the day before the rent is due, ie. rent due every 24th notice ends on 23rd. Yet this landlord (through an agency) has given 2 months notice ending say on the 29th almost a week after rent is due.

So my question is will my daughter have to pay another months rent on the 24th for the final five days?

Any advice kindly accepted, Joan

First letter to halifax sent rec del 26/4

Data Protection Act letter to capital one sent rec del 26/4

Halifax 1st offer dated 5/5

Capital One ack Data Protection Act request rec 6/5

Request for repayment to Capital One 2/8

LBA sent 22/8

Court proceedings issued 13/10

Settled in Full 9/11

Donation made 14/11

A little confused the agents have just written to my daughter requesting that she come in and sign a new tenancy agreement because her six months expired on the 24th March. She'll have to pay £47 for the privalige. Yet May 29th they issued a two months notice for possession!!

Talk about wanting your bread buttered on both sides:eek:

LBA sent 22/8

Settled in Full 9/11

Donation made 14/11

This is just "churning" by the agent. They cannot make your daughter pay for a new tenancy agreement unless she agrees to pay for it. (Cost of Leases Act 1954). Point out to the agent that by the time the notice has expired, court proceedings issued, the matter heard and the order for possession takes effect something like four or five months will have elapsed.

My daughter has written to the agents with a proposal to clear her arrears that she has prior to the tenance ends. The proposal she has made is what she can afford and stick to.

The agents seemed to have ignored the proposal and written to her giving her two days to get in touch. They have increased the outstanding amount by £35 yet they have not advised her of any charge. Nor is there any charges laid out in the tenancy agreement. Although she did pay by a cheque once which then she had to stop cos she didn't have enough to cover it at the time.

Can they make a charge like this? any pointers gratefully accepted.

She is resending the letter repaying off the arrears by 'signed for' this time. Also in that letter she requested that they stopped phoning her, but they are still ringing her twice a day. She just ignores the call. So I am going to send them the letter re:harrassment by phone.

Luckily she has been offered a house by the council - so will be moving out within the notice period sec21 she has been given.

Regards, Joan.

LBA sent 22/8

Settled in Full 9/11

Donation made 14/11

Just a comment, you described so clearly the legalities of serving section 21 Notice on an Assured Shorthold, re getting the dates right! You wouldn't believe the hoo hah this has caused recently with County Court Judges where I live and work. All of a sudden the judges started refusing us housing officers possession orders - we couldn't understand what they were talking about - there was us four HO's, all supposed to bright and sharp - well it took us weeks to work out this date thing! We got it now, but I have to tell my colleagues on Monday that it must be us and not them who can't grasp it!

I wish you daughter luck, shortholds are no fun and she'll be so much better off in affordable local authority housing.