prepayment meters

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6005 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

House of Commons Hansard Debates for 23 Jan 2007 (pt 0001)

National Energy Action : Policy & Research : Policy position papers : Prepayment Meters

didnt know where to put this but started mentioning unfair charges to the poorest families on bailiffs thread, it seems to me that the higher prices for gas on prepayment meters is a matter of concern, with self disconnection thougth to be acceptable, prepayment meters IMHO are a very blunt tool indeed.

Over 150 MPs tell energy companies to stop ripping off poorest families - UK.ALLCONSTRUCTIONS.COM - All about constructions

'rise like lions after slumber, in unvanquishable number, shake your chains to the earth like dew, which in sleep had fall'n on you, ye are many, they are few.' Percy Byshse Shelly 1819

my meter has just broken again and since no phone am now waiting on a mobile for them to answer, message is have to wait for up to 45 MINUTES! on a pay as you gp mobile

ok so they need four hours and I have to go to work in 3 and three quarter hours!!!

what a shame

'rise like lions after slumber, in unvanquishable number, shake your chains to the earth like dew, which in sleep had fall'n on you, ye are many, they are few.' Percy Byshse Shelly 1819

so that call has cost me five pounds and they cannot ring me back, see what I mean, it cost so bloody much to be poor!

• 4 months later...

I have now rec'd in writing admission that the bill produced was in error, (I have another thread on this I think) prepayment meter removed, no debt owing but bill produced) it has taken 5 months to sort out!?

hence no debt owed:):)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

BBC NEWS | Business | Boost for pre-payment meter users

and the bills have come down massively!

Hi all,

I have a query that am hoping you can help me with.

A having some financial problems with going form full time to part time in my job and a little behind on my gas bill with EDF.

They have threatened to put a prepaid meter in if I don’t pay all bill which I can not afford to do all at once and am doing bit by bit , my questions is can they just do that or do they have to go to court to get it enforced? Or can they just out this outside my house?

I have changed gas and electric to another supplier which is cheaper and waiting to go across.

Any info would be appreciated.

Tiggs.

PS not sure if i have put this post in the right place..sorry if not am new to the site.

they dont have to go to court, they can just fit it, (not sure about the access to your house situation, if meters are outside they will just go ahead)

I think they have to get a warrant for access if necessary.

Hey Tiggywnk, the problem you're likely to come across is that they won't allow you to switch supplier if you owe them money. How much do you owe, and what have you suggested as a repayment plan? Was there any fault on EDF's part in running the bill up (estimated bills etc), or have you just been struggling to pay? And what period of time does the outstanding balance cover? What communication have you had with them?

Sorry for all the questions, I work there and would like to help, but need this information first. PM me if you'd rather not discuss it on an open forum.

Avoid them fitting it on warrant if possible, if they do you will get over 200 pounds charges in warrant fees. They can just do this if they supply you. The above advise given is all correct. Try to communicate with them and work towards a resolution together even if it meens you agreeing to a prepayment meter. It is better to arrange a prepayment meter and have no charges than to force them into a warrant and get the charges. Get the information that Mree asked for. Good luck and let us know how you get on with it.

Hi Tiggywnk, was just about to reply to your PM, but it seems I don't have to now - I've got to say I was surprised that your offer of repayment hadn't been accepted, it seems you got through to someone originally who was having a bit of a bad day, I'm pleased it's sorted now!

Thanks for your post, not sure why they didnt accept my offer in the first place,when called again differant guy and nicer and talked sense and it all sorted now, not changing over now and sticking with EDF,but customer services need a little kick up the ass going by my first call, but thumbs up to second guy to keep me with EDF.

Tiggs.

Glad you got it sorted, as with any company it depends who you get through to on the phone. They do have to stick to a certain script and criterias but an advisor can make a differance on a decision that needs to be made. A lot of time changing suppliers is not the answer it is all about who you get to work on your account and if they treat you as an individual or a job to do.