• Tweets

• Find out how the UK general elections works, how to register to vote, and what to do on voting day.View the full article
    • "We suffer more in imagination than in reality" - really pleased this all happened. Settled by TO, full amount save as to costs and without interest claimed. I consider this a success but feel free to move this thread to wherever it's appropriate. I say it's a success because when I started this journey I was in a position of looking to pay interest on all these accounts, allowing them to default stopped that and so even though I am paying the full amount, it is without a doubt reduced from my position 3 years ago and I feel knowing this outcome was possible, happy to gotten this far, defended myself in person and left with a loan with terms I could only dream of, written into law as interest free! I will make better decisions in the future on other accounts, knowing key stages of this whole process. We had the opportunity to speak in court, Judge (feels like just before a ruling) was clear in such that he 'had all the relevant paperwork to make a judgement'. He wasn't pleased I hadn't settled before Court.. but then stated due to WS and verbal arguments on why I haven't settled, from my WS conclusion as follows: "11. The Defendant was not given ample evidence to prove the debt and therefore was not required to enter settlement negotiations. Should the debt be proved in the future, the Defendant is willing to enter such negotiations with the Claimant. "  He offered to stand down the case to give us chance to settle and that that was for my benefit specifically - their Sols didn't want to, he asked me whether I wanted to proceed to judgement or be given the opportunity to settle. Naturally, I snapped his hand off and we entered negotiations (took about 45 minutes). He added I should get legal advice for matters such as these. They were unwilling to agree to a TO unless it was full amount claimed, plus costs, plus interest. Which I rejected as I felt that was unfair in light of the circumstances and the judges comments, I then countered with full amount minus all costs and interest over 84 months. They accepted that. I believe the Judge wouldn't have been happy if they didn't accept a payment plan for the full amount, at this late stage. The judge was very impressed by my articulate defence and WS (Thanks CAG!) he respected that I was wiling to engage with the process but commented only I  can know whether this debt is mine, but stated that Civil cases were based on balance of probabilities, not without shadow of a doubt, and all he needs to determine is whether the account existed. Verbal arguments aside; he has enough evidence in paperwork for that. He clarified that a copy of a DN and NOA is sufficient proof based on balance of probabilities that they were served. I still disagree, but hey, I'm just me.. It's definitely not strict proof as basically I have to prove the negative (I didn't receive them/they were not served), which is impossible. Overall, a great result I think! BT  
    • Seeking further advice now. The 33 days in which the defendant has to submit a defence expires at 16:00 tomorrow. The defendant has submitted an acknowledgement of service but looking to get the claim awarded by default in failure to submit the defence. This is MoneyClaim Online and can see an option to request a default judgement but believe that is for failure to acknowledge the claim within 14 days??  So being MoneyClaim Online, how do I request the claim be awarded in my favour?
    • Have to agree with the above Health and safety legislation is specific in that the service provider in so far as is reasonably practicable, the health, safety and welfare at work of all his employees and those not in the employ of the business. You claim is like saying you slipped in the swimming pool area while taking a dip. As rightly stated by by the leisure centre, a sports hall has dedicated equipment and you yourself personally have a legal obligation in mitigating danger or injury to yourself by taking account of your immediate surroundings. Where your claim will fail is if it is reasonable and proportionate to impose liability of the Leisure Centre? The answer has to be no.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Alexskord Vs Aic! Can You Please Help Me?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6156 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Today it would have been their last day i.e the 12th but on Monday it was bank holiday:):)

Anyway one more day + another 2 for the postage.

Could anyone tell me what is the next step if they won t send anything?Should I reply to them or wait further 30 more business days?

After the 12 day default, you are within your rights to withhold all payments until a CCA can be produced and re-enforced..... After the additional calendar month has passed, report them to the OFT and TS. In the meantime, record all attempts to pursue you for payment (letters/'phone calls) whilst they are in default of your request.... as these can be reported as well.

No need to contact the DCA though....

:)

thanks you very much priority one

do DCA not deal with these types of reports??

DCAs are not in the habit of complying with the law.... so if they disregard it, then they need to be reported to the relevant authorities. There is no guarantee that anything will come from your complaint... but it will be on record, which is important.

If you were to complain to the FOS, I believe that you have to go through a DCAs internal complaints procedure first... before the FOS wil pick it up. However, this is not necessary for TS/OFT complaints.

hi guys

On 30 th of May Amex has received a sar and a CCA. Today I ve received all the statements. Unfortunately I am very confused.

The letter says:

""""I ve been passed your letter by our Correspondence Dept and understand you wish to exercise your right to Subject Access under Section 7 of the 1998 Data Protection Act.

i have enclosed copy statements for you and am able to provide those free of charge as a goodwill gesture..............

However should you require a full disclosure we require you to complete the enclosed form and return it to the address above, together with your cheque (What does this means??????)

Should you have any queries regarding the charges on the statements please do not hesitate to contact us in writing and attach the relevant statements."""

Now the problem is that they only charged me once with £25.00. the other 4 times that they charged me was £8.00.Iam also not sure about Interest charges.Every month they charged me around £39.00 per month even if the statement was saying that my account has been closed and been passed to a collection agency. (Is that correct?????)

My charges are as follows.

24 May 2006 Late payment fee £25.00

24 July 2006 Late payment fee £8.00

23 Aug 2006 Late payment fee £8.00

24 Sep 2006 Late payment fee £8.00

24 oct 2006 Late payment fee £8.00

Unfortunately all of them are £57.00

But i Do not know how can i calculte them with interest.

Can someone experienced tell me how to do it??

hi guys

On 30 th of May Amex has received a S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) and a CCA. Today I ve received all the statements. Unfortunately I am very confused.

The letter says:

""""I ve been passed your letter by our Correspondence Dept and understand you wish to exercise your right to Subject Access under Section 7 of the 1998 Data Protection Act.

i have enclosed copy statements for you and am able to provide those free of charge as a goodwill gesture..............

However should you require a full disclosure we require you to complete the enclosed form and return it to the address above, together with your cheque (What does this means??????)

I would be very wary of signing anything that they send you. You have already made a legal request for information and therefore, they have to comply with this. Keep all correspondence that they send you however, in case it needs to be copied/forwarded on to the Information Commissioner at a later date. I am assuming that you already enclosed a cheque for £10 in with your SAR ?... If so, write back (rec. delivery) and say that.... further to their letter of xx/xx/2007, you have already made a request under The Data Protection Act, 1998 which was received by them on xx/xx/2007. Under the terms of this request, you require full disclosure and have already enclosed a cheque for the required fee. According to your records, they have xx remaining days within which to comply.

Should you have any queries regarding the charges on the statements please do not hesitate to contact us in writing and attach the relevant statements."""

No... you keep hold of your statements. I will try and find a spreadsheet link for you in a while... All of the unlawful charges are entered into the spreadsheet and a copy is then sent to them for a refund.

Now the problem is that they only charged me once with £25.00. the other 4 times that they charged me was £8.00.Iam also not sure about Interest charges.Every month they charged me around £39.00 per month even if the statement was saying that my account has been closed and been passed to a collection agency. (Is that correct?????)

I don't think they should still be charging you interest when an account is being handled by someone else, no.

My charges are as follows.

24 May 2006 Late payment fee £25.00

24 July 2006 Late payment fee £8.00

23 Aug 2006 Late payment fee £8.00

24 Sep 2006 Late payment fee £8.00

24 oct 2006 Late payment fee £8.00

Unfortunately all of them are £57.00

But i Do not know how can i calculte them with interest.

Can someone experienced tell me how to do it??

I will go and find the link for you....

you r the best. Thanks for your reply.

I enclosed the fee and they returned it to me!!!!

From october until February 2007 inclding february they were charging me only the interest when the account was saying """"Account cancelled and with collection Department.

you r the best. Thanks for your reply.

I enclosed the fee and they returned it to me!!!!

From october until February 2007 inclding february they were charging me only the interest when the account was saying """"Account cancelled and with collection Department.

Returning your fee seems to be some kind of cop-out.... the request still stands and you can remind them of the time remaining, as mentioned above. Keep hold of the returned cheque and their letter.

The link to the spreadsheets is here...

6. Interest calculation spreadsheets

The figures that you see are example figures only. You need to go over the top of these with your own and delete what's not needed. It may look confusing... but once you have the hang of it, you should be ok. Don't forget to include your own name and ref. at the top.

When you have completed the spreadsheet, have a read through the FAQS section, as I believe that your initial request for a refund does not include the 8% interest... I have never done this, but a friend of mine has and I'm sure that's what she did.

You need to get the interest frozen on this as well. I would also include the amounts that they have charged you for interest since the account was closed and passed to the DCA..... and included a paragraph at the bottom of the letter sent with the spreadsheet asking for confirmation that all interest on the account be frozen from now on.

Anybody else have any thoughts ?

It dosent matter that they chose to refund your £10. You sent them a legal request for a SAR. That is what they should have supplied. They are bluffing for time. Send them a letter telling them that the statutory period to supply the information is 40 days from the date of your original request. Never sign anything using your normal signature (it can be scanned, sign in Block Capitals) Rather than sending them a cheque use a postal order it contains no information that some of the more unscrupulous types may be inclined to use such as your bank account and sort code numbers. You have been getting good advice on here.

As for AIC do NOT let them bully you. NEVER speak with them on the phone. If they ring you at work tell them you are someone else and that its company policy not to permit personal calls. If they actually get through to you do not complete the security questions. You have sent them the harrasment letters so they should NOT be phoning you anytime. Report them to TS. I see you have their complaints letter complain to them first and when they fail to resolve your complaint then report them to the FOS who will charge THEM £400 for the privelege of being investigated. They are in default so cannot now pursue you. They cannot pass it on to any other DCA.

You are now in control and make sure they know that. Keep a note of all calls from them date/time etc for your complaint.

thanks ODC.

Anyone knows for sure if they (Amex) should still be charging interest when an account was being handled by someone else?

Any suggestions?

I think it would depend who actually owns the debt now. The SAR should say if Amex sold it to AIC

So does anyone tells me that I should tell them that they haven t complied with my request without asking for the charges refund?

Or should I tell them that they haven t complied with my request and ask for the charges in the same letter?

ANY SUGGESTIONS?

what i am asking (sorry for my English) is should I send them ""You did not comply with my request.......and also claim the charges back or should I wait them to send me the full disclosure for my account and claim back the charges.

I ve never seen a complete a full disclosure of an account that why I do not know how it looks like and what it says. I mean should it say that my account at xxxxx date has been passed to that xxxxxcompany etc??

It's not up to you to remind anyone that they have failed to comply with a CCA request.... it's just up to them to comply within the legal timeframe (or not).

In order to re-claim the charges on the account, you will need to wait for the info. to come back from your SAR to AmEx, unless you still have all your statements and are able to tot it up for yourself.

thanks priority.

the thing is that amex has sent me my statemenyts with them but not the full disclosure of the account. Should i send a letter agian to ask them for a full disclosure or should i go ahead with claiming the charges.

another thing is that they were charging me interest when the statement fron Oct 2006 was saying that my account was cancelled and passed to a collection agency...

What are you hoping to get from the full disclosure ? I'm assuming that you want details of whether it was sold or not ? The statements should give you all the info. that you need in order to re-claim the unlawful charges on the account.... so go ahead with that.

As for the interest being charged after the account was passed/sold on... I would re-claim that as well, since it's interest on a balance that contains unlawful charges. In your letter, I would also stipulate that you require all interest to be frozen on the account from now on.

I have just re-read this thread...

Have you had a CCA back from anyone ?

What is the outstanding balance ?

How much of the outstanding balance is made up of unlawful charges/interest (approx.)

Do you owe them more then they owe you.... or do they owe you more in unlawful charges ?

In other words.... if no-one has a CCA for you, the account is unenforceable... which means that you can withhold all further payments until they can produce the CCA and have it re-enforced in court.

Or... you can re-claim unlawful charges and then repay them the remaining balance, if they can produce a CCA.

When a DCA is hounding you for payment, or has been collecting for some time... they are sent a CCA request in order to determine their right to collect. If they don't have one, then they can't collect. If it's been bought, this means that they are stuffed. If it's not been bought, the account is then passed back to the original creditor and a SAR goes to them in order to re-claim any unlawful charges to bring the account down to its true balance.

As you have sent a CCA to both the DCA and the original creditor, I would be inclined to hold off until someone produces a CCA for you.... because without it, there is nothing either of them can do. However, if you are owed more in charges than you owe to them.... you can go ahead with re-claiming these.

Hope this helps....

Hi

I am sorry but i ve been away for a few days...

I have just re-read this thread...

Have you had a CCA back from anyone ? No I had not had anything

What is the outstanding balance ? Amex says that is is £3070 but AIC says it is £3670

How much of the outstanding balance is made up of unlawful charges/interest (approx.) It is £57

Do you owe them more then they owe you.... or do they owe you more in unlawful charges ? I owe them more

In other words.... if no-one has a CCA for you, the account is unenforceable... which means that you can withhold all further payments until they can produce the CCA and have it re-enforced in court.

Or... you can re-claim unlawful charges and then repay them the remaining balance, if they can produce a CCA. Can I claim back these charges from AMEX and wait and see what happens with AIC????

When a DCA is hounding you for payment, or has been collecting for some time... they are sent a CCA request in order to determine their right to collect. If they don't have one, then they can't collect. If it's been bought, this means that they are stuffed. If it's not been bought, the account is then passed back to the original creditor and a S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) goes to them in order to re-claim any unlawful charges to bring the account down to its true balance.

As you have sent a CCA to both the DCA and the original creditor, I would be inclined to hold off until someone produces a CCA for you.... because without it, there is nothing either of them can do. However, if you are owed more in charges than you owe to them.... you can go ahead with re-claiming these.

Hope this helps....

ANY HELP IS MUCH APPRECIATED

Regards

ALEX

P.S I want to pay off my balance but not £3670, only £3070