• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

un1boy v HSBC - SETTLED!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6201 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Well, I sent a dpa breach letter to HSBC last week, giving them 7 days to send me my credit card statements or I'd contact the court to get them to comply under the DAP!

Haven't heard from them and called them today (the 7th day) to ask if they have been sent. Free, of course!

They told me that all my credit card statements (about 60 envelopes) have been put in the post. haha.

Anyways, they have received my LBA too so I'm waiting for the other fob off letter so I can do the MCOL thing.

As soon as I get my credit card statements, I'll let u know how much they owe me!!!

Disclaimer: Anything I write in these forums is my personal opinion and offered without prejudice. If in doubt, please seek independent legal advice.

*If what I have told you in this post has helped, please press the star at the bottom left and tell me!!*

My charges claims:

un1boy vs egg *SETTLED* | Un1boy vs LTSB-SETTLED | un1boy vs Black Horse-SETTLED | Un1boy v Smile *WON* | un1boy v HSBC - SETTLED! | Un1boy's HSBC CC - SETTLED! | Un1boy vs Co-Op *SETTLED* |un1boy vs Co-Op CC *SETTLED*

Default removals:

un1boy v Equifax - Default removal

un1boy vs Experian - Default removal

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Guys,

Just to keep you informed on what I'm doing/how it's all coming along:

I sent the original letter to HSBC asking for a full list of charges/statemetns and I included a £10 cheque to cover the DPA costs.

They have replied and are sending me all my statements in batches through the post, of which I have now nearly got them all. They have even sent my cheque back saying they are "happy to waive any charges incurred." - talk about trying to butter me up!

I am going through the statements and entering the charges into the calculator ready to send my claim letter.

I guess now I just have to wait, huh?

Thanks

My partner also got a letter "waiving that £10 chq " I agree with you, trying to butter you up.:-)

lol, yeh, it's funny the tactics the bank's are using - they try to butter you up. Then they hold out on replying to your messages until the last day of your timetable. Then they send you letters from the solicitors. Then they pay up!

I have a question, and I know it's been answered, but I have read so much recently I've got confused - I sent HSBC my LBA which, according to Royal Mail's Recorded delivery service they got 26.06.2006. The letter was dated and sent 23.06.2006. Which date do I use as the start of my timetable?

Disclaimer: Anything I write in these forums is my personal opinion and offered without prejudice. If in doubt, please seek independent legal advice.

*If what I have told you in this post has helped, please press the star at the bottom left and tell me!!*

My charges claims:

un1boy vs egg *SETTLED* | Un1boy vs LTSB-SETTLED | un1boy vs Black Horse-SETTLED | Un1boy v Smile *WON* | un1boy v HSBC - SETTLED! | Un1boy's HSBC CC - SETTLED! | Un1boy vs Co-Op *SETTLED* |un1boy vs Co-Op CC *SETTLED*

Default removals:

Use the date that they received it - that is a date that everyone can agree on, so there will be no arguments over that in the future. Good luck.

See the steps I took to get my bank charges back.

Spiceskull v HSBC.

Thank you Consumer Action Group.

Read my blog.

Collage001.gif

Alecto, Magaera et Tisiphone: Nemesis on Earth is come.

All advice and opinions given by Spiceskull are personal, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Thanks Spice, that's great advise!!!

I can't wait to see their offer!

My charges claims:

Default removals:

Well, just to update, I have now received all of my credit card statements so will start the process with that one,hehe.

I am concerned though, beacuse I work for a company linked the Co-Op bank and they have said that the OFT have ruled that the charges need to be reudced below £12 by 28.06.2006. Thus, Co-Op bank have done this!

Would this actually cahnge the dynamics of any future claims? With the banks saying, well, anything under £12 is now acceptable? I know that someone mentioned before that they are still unlawful because it doesn't cost them that much, but I thought it would be worth clarifying since the brief.

Also, I want to calim from my Co-Op account, but I have to have one as part of my contract, do you think they could close my account? If they do, I'd lose my job - so, I would feel that they wouldn't be allowed to do this!!

Keep you posted!

Thanks guys.

My charges claims:

Default removals:

I am concerned though, beacuse I work for a company linked the Co-Op bank and they have said that the OFT have ruled that the charges need to be reudced below £12 by 28.06.2006. Thus, Co-Op bank have done this!

Would this actually cahnge the dynamics of any future claims? With the banks saying, well, anything under £12 is now acceptable? I know that someone mentioned before that they are still unlawful because it doesn't cost them that much, but I thought it would be worth clarifying since the brief.

Have you actually had this in writing? As part of your claim process?

Spiceskull v HSBC.

Read my blog.

Collage001.gif

All advice and opinions given by Spiceskull are personal, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

the oft report was targeted at c/c operators not the banks, and the oft report stated that £12 was the absolute maximum, and not a reasonable figure by any means, however the banks know that the oft are now looking into bank practices so they are heading them off at the pass, so to speak

HSBC- £4995, settled payment in full

if you found this post helpful, please click the scales (top right of post), ta ;)

if you're not sure what to do?, Read the FAQ's

Unsure about what to claim, or confused about overdraft interest? Charges explanation

Have you actually had this in writing? As part of your claim process?
The reason I ask is that someone else had a similar sort of OFT dismissal, I drafted a wordy response, and they finally got their money back. Would be keen to know if this response is linked to your claim or to your job.

Spiceskull v HSBC.

Read my blog.

Collage001.gif

Hey,

Thanks for this - I've just realised that there is already a post to this question. I'm fairly new to all this, bu tI'm getting the hang of it now.

Don't you think it'll be interesting to see how the banks' profits are effected by all these claims?

You can veiw their fanancial accounts on their website I have only looked at 2004 and that was £M8,911:shock:

The reason I ask is that someone else had a similar sort of OFT dismissal, I drafted a wordy response, and they finally got their money back. Would be keen to know if this response is linked to your claim or to your job.

Spice - sorry about late reply, I have trouble signing in to the forum - my computer I think, not the BAG!

Anyway, I haven't had this reponse as part of my claim, only as a brief at work. I am thinking of writing a letter to the bank to ask there reasons behind it. There is a VERY interesting FAQ been realised at work, with a question about the bank making a profit and that it as it is a signifant about of money to change to, profits may be effected - especially as costs would stay the same.

I realised that this only applies to credit cards, and the brief at work says they are not reviewing current account charges at the moment.

Might be interesting writing to them as a customer of theirs and asking about it.

Also, I think have found that bank progrma I wrote at uni. My comp is playing up, so need to check through it all. I'll let you know how it goes!

A quick question about my cliaim - I will be getting my credit card statements on monday/tuesday. Is the claim process different for credit cards?

Rdm, thanks for you advise - I'll check it out!! :)

My charges claims:

Default removals:

Hey, that's great, thanks.

Do you think I should start a new thread for ym credit card claim?

My charges claims:

Default removals:

Do you think I should start a new thread for ym credit card claim?
Definitely - one thread per claim. Each claim will have different questions and answers.

Regarding the work FAQ - would you be prepared to email me a copy? If so, PM me and I will give you my email address...

Spiceskull v HSBC.

Read my blog.

Collage001.gif

Just to digress quickly - just got my credit card statements and I'm shocked and disappointed really that I have only been charged £45 in the last 6 years! Can you claim back Cash advance handling fees from credit cards?

Do you think it's worth me claiming for the £45?

Anyway.....hsbc have got until 11/07/2006 to reply to my LBA, it's 7 days since they received the letter and still not heard anything!

My charges claims:

Default removals:

I'm shocked and disappointed really that I have only been charged £45 in the last 6 years!

Strange logic - like saying you are disappointed a burglar only stole your TV and DVD and left your laptop :confused:

Can you claim back Cash advance handling fees from credit cards?

No - these are legitimate fees for providing a service.

Do you think it's worth me claiming for the £45?

If you don't want the £45 I'll have it! :)

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

lol, I know what you mean about my strange logic.

I think I'm going to claim for the £45 - might as well, eh?

It would be interesting to see whether they just pay out for it, or end up letting me take it to court!

Has anyone tried complaining to the OFT about the banks closing accounts? I still don't see how they can get away with that!

Ant ideas about this?

My charges claims:

Default removals:

I think I'm going to claim for the £45 - might as well, eh?
This is exactly the amount Vampiress claimed - and got returned. Check her thread and you will see that a couple of polite and pleasant 'phone calls convinced the bank that they did not want go to court...:rolleyes:

Spiceskull v HSBC.

Read my blog.

Collage001.gif

oh nice one thanks

where do I find her thread?

Sorry if I'm being think, lol

My charges claims:

Default removals:

Hi have just started trying to claim back my money from 6 banks before they find a loop hole,think I might have took on 2 much,but after 2 letters got back £285 from Sainsburys,all other banks doing the usual fobing me off letters,but I just keep writing back,egg are bieng really curt and stubbon has any one won with them yet,will keep informed and send donation,

Right guys, getting back to the HSBC claim. They have until this Tuesday 11/06/2006 to answer my LBA. not heard anyhting so am just setting up my MCOL. I ahve filled it all in and the particulars, but at the bottom when it says total to calim, do I put my original amount without the interest, or do I put the full amount with interest? And what about including the court costs?!

Also, the last line of my statement says I'm going to claim interest up until teh date of settle ment at an amount of (amonut) per day. what do I put here? I know it's 8% but what about the daily amount?

I've had a look around and I can't find anything to help with this.

Thanks in advance guys!

My charges claims:

Default removals:

Amount claimed is claim amount including interest but excluding court costs.

Daily rate of interest is claim amount excluding interest x 0.00022

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

Thanks,

so i enter the full amount plus interest minus court costs in the MCOL total amount to claim, right, got that.

And the daily amount is 442.50 x 0.00022. right, got that.

So, how do we know what the actual total amount is when they settle? do the court work that out, or, for example, would hsbc settle out of court with the total amount i put in with the interest plus the court costs?

My charges claims:

Default removals:

It'll probably be for the amount on the claim form and they'll ignore the daily rate of interest.

If they do this I personally wouldn't recommend making a fuss over the few pence they've missed off.