• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

un1boy v HSBC - SETTLED!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6185 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

It'll probably be for the amount on the claim form and they'll ignore the daily rate of interest.

If they do this I personally wouldn't recommend making a fuss over the few pence they've missed off.

No, me neither. I'd be happy with the full amount plus interest and court costs to be honest. Is that the sort of way they'd settle it out of court?!

Thanks again.

Disclaimer: Anything I write in these forums is my personal opinion and offered without prejudice. If in doubt, please seek independent legal advice.

*If what I have told you in this post has helped, please press the star at the bottom left and tell me!!*

My charges claims:

un1boy vs egg *SETTLED* | Un1boy vs LTSB-SETTLED | un1boy vs Black Horse-SETTLED | Un1boy v Smile *WON* | un1boy v HSBC - SETTLED! | Un1boy's HSBC CC - SETTLED! | Un1boy vs Co-Op *SETTLED* |un1boy vs Co-Op CC *SETTLED*

Default removals:

un1boy v Equifax - Default removal

un1boy vs Experian - Default removal

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

well they replied but with a fob-off letter! MCOL here I come!

I saw this in the news - any ideas how this will affect claims?

Lloyds TSB and Halifax have seen recent legal bids by consumers to reclaim overdraft charges in the small claims court rejected on the grounds that a case has been submitted to a higher court which could set a precedent in these types of cases.

Disclaimer: Anything I write in these forums is my personal opinion and offered without prejudice. If in doubt, please seek independent legal advice.

*If what I have told you in this post has helped, please press the star at the bottom left and tell me!!*

My charges claims:

un1boy vs egg *SETTLED* | Un1boy vs LTSB-SETTLED | un1boy vs Black Horse-SETTLED | Un1boy v Smile *WON* | un1boy v HSBC - SETTLED! | Un1boy's HSBC CC - SETTLED! | Un1boy vs Co-Op *SETTLED* |un1boy vs Co-Op CC *SETTLED*

Default removals:

It won't affect claims. Some claims have been out on hold, not 'rejected', and the case in question has been settled now anyway so there is no need for others to be put on hold.

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

I saw this in the news - any ideas how this will affect claims?

Lloyds TSB and Halifax have seen recent legal bids by consumers to reclaim overdraft charges in the small claims court rejected on the grounds that a case has been submitted to a higher court which could set a precedent in these types of cases.

Did you see this in yesterday's Daily Mail or elsewhere? If elsewhere, could you post a link for us to catch up please...:-)

See the steps I took to get my bank charges back

Spiceskull v HSBC

Thank you Consumer Action Group

Read my blog

View a heated discussion about bank charges on the Times Educational Supplement bulletin boards

Collage001.gif

Alecto, Magaera et Tisiphone: Nemesis on Earth is come.

All advice and opinions given by Spiceskull are personal, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

To be honest, it was on an e-noticeboard at work, but all news items on it have been published publically, it's like a digest of the day's news. Where in particular the article was it doeasn't say, I'm sorry. I am however trying to find info on it, so anything I hear I will let you know!!

My charges claims:

Default removals:

It won't affect claims. Some claims have been out on hold, not 'rejected', and the case in question has been settled now anyway so there is no need for others to be put on hold.

How was it settled and what was the outcome and was there a presidence set?

My charges claims:

Default removals:

I didn't have time to tell you the full story about this, but I didn't have a reply on the last day of the timetable so I called them to say I had filed a claim. They got all flustered and told me they were sending me a settlement letter so I withdrew the claim and the letter I received was just a fob-off letter. I now have to wait for the refund to come through before I can re-issue the claim again.

I know I was a bit stupid calling them, but I want to look as considerate as possible incase it does get to court, you know?

anyway, it doesn't matter too much, MCOL set up and waiting. Will pay it as soon as I can!!

My charges claims:

Default removals:

Well, update as promised - the refund cheque cleared and I have now re-submitted the claim to HSBC.

What happens now? Does the court write to me and od HSBC get 14 days to enter a defence?

I ahve read other Threads, but get a bit confused with it all to be honest.

They are silly because now they owe me just over £600.00 rather than the £440.50 I was claiming originally.

Ah well, when this is done - on to the next! :)

My charges claims:

Default removals:

Just a quick update - had a letter from MCOL saying that court papers will be were issued 19.07.2006 and would be deemed served yesteraday (24.07.2006).

I've got to wait now for their response within 14 days.

____

Just a quicky about my credit card claim - only short though so ddin't see point in starting a new thread!!

I had some trouble getting my Credit Card statements because they sent my current account ones, but not the CC ones. I sent a Data Protection Act LBA from the library and they sent me all the statements, including my current account ones again, lol!!! It was funny though, because I got loads of apologetic letters saying how the were sorry the CC ones weren't sent originally and they will be with me within 7 days etc. Haha - talk about keeping them on their toes!! :)

_____

PS sent a prelim for 45.00 pounds of credit card charges - HSBC are sending me a refund for this. Shoudl get the cheque asap. they are calling me back today to confirm when it's been issued, if I don't get a call I have ssured them they will get an LBA!!!

Hehe, bring it on.

My charges claims:

Default removals:

Oh oh, I have had a thought - I haven't had a settlement offer yet but I have been pondering something for a few days and don't know if it would work - when they offer me a full settlement and ask that I keep it confidential, you think I could say that I don't agree with the confidentailly clause UNLESS they write-off the debts currently with a collector AND remove the credit default?

Do you think this would work, or could it effect the original settlement offer?

I think it's worth a try because they won't want to go to court, so if they say no - I'll say, thanks for my 600 smackers but I'm not accepting the confidentially clause. I don't mind keeping it quiet if they write off the 5 grand and remove the default, which they put on there a week before they were meant to. It all depends I guess how much they'd want to keep me quiet, eh? I'm not shutting up for 600 quid though.

Does anyone know what the effects of a confidentiality clause would be? would I not be able to discuss it with ANYONE?! etc etc.

What do you guys think of this?!

My charges claims:

Default removals:

When others have tried similar tactics they haven't paid up any extra, just sent the same amount but without the confidentiality clause.

The easiest thing to do is when you receive your offer, cross out the confidentiality clause and send it back.

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

Well I checked MCOL today and HSBC have acknowledged my claim 28.07.2006 - does this mean I will be hearing from them soon as to whether they filing a defence or not?!

Also, I'm claiming from Co-Op and wondered if anyone had a lil advice for me, here's the problem:

I work for one of the companies in the same group as the Co-Op bank and last year wasn't paid properly so got a load of charges (around £300.00) refunded in charges as it was my employer's fault. I have look throuhg some of my statements but it's difficult to work which dates I shoudl use and take off when I'm trying to work out the interest. I have also had quite a few refunded in the past, just by asking, hehe.. so which dates do I use to calculate the interest.

I am listing all charges and then all that have been refunded and minusing them from each other so that I get a total amount of charges to claim for.

Does the above make any sense?

My charges claims:

Default removals:

Look what I found in the news:

Alliance & Leicester has reported interim pre-tax profit decreased from £272m to £257m in the first half of 2006 as bad debt charges increased from £30m to £47m. The bank also achieved net new mortgage lending of 5.3%, compared to its traditional market share of 3.5%, and 151,000 new current account customers.

Egg has reported a loss of £39m in the first half of 2006 compared to a profit of £13m in 2005, as it increased its provision for bad debts by 42% to £166m. The online bank also reported a decline in the number of loans it sold, from 90,000 in the first half of 2005 to 50,000. This led to a decrease in income from payment protection insurance sales, from £105m to £71m.

How interesting theya re blaiming the decreased profits on oncreased debts, lol!! Do you think us claiming cahrges has anything to do with it?!

lol

My charges claims:

Default removals:

Ok well I've just got in and found a letter from MCOL saying that HSBC are defending the claim!!! It is the acknowledgement of service that has a tick box that says "I intend to defend all of this claim".

What happens now? I'm actually a little scared now, lol.

Any ideas?

My charges claims:

Default removals:

Ok, but is this normal?? I.e. Do you think they will make me an offer? I may be thick here, but what actually constitutes a defence?

Thanks for this!

My charges claims:

Default removals:

Right, ok - I hope so!! lol. what sort of things do you think they could use as a defence though?

My charges claims:

Default removals:

Aw thanks mate - I'll have a check overn it. I got a bit worried yesterday but I realise it's standard practice now. i've had a bit of a tough last few days so wasn't thinking too staright, lol.

Thanks for your help.

My charges claims:

Default removals:

Well, HSBC acknowledged my claim 28.07.2006 saying they would defend it in full. Yesterday I got a letter from DG Solicitors saying that although thjey wuold win, they atre mindful of the time and management costs involved blah blah and they are offering me a FULL settlement of 600.27!! They say they will pay it off my current debt with MCS and of course, want a confidentiality clause.

Am I right in thinking my next move is this:

1. Cross out them paying it off my debt and ask for a cheque instead?

2. Cross out the confidentiality clause?

Well, I'm so surprised it's been this quick. I'm not getting too excited until I've actually got the cash in my caccount!!

thanks guys, I'll keep you posted and of course, a donation will be on it's way as soon as the cheque clears.

• Confused 1

My charges claims:

Default removals:

Just been through your thread - I cannot find any mention of your debt. I assume you owe HSBC more than the £600 they are refunding...

You could ask for a cheque, but you are not likely to get it. The Ts&Cs are quite clear in stating that they can shuffle credits around accounts to balance the books (usually in their favour...)

Sorry - just noticed the bit about MCS...ask for a cheque. If they have sold the debt on, then there is very little that the bank can do with the money.

I am still not quite certain what you owe, and where, but the last thing you want is for them to send the money elsewhere. If you could clarify the full position between account/MCS/and what you owe in one post, I can give a better answer.

And yes, cross out the confidentiality clause - a single line through the words, and then initialled, should do the trick.

Congrats on the win though.

All advice and opinions given by Spiceskull are personal, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Thanks for this Spiceckull. I had a credit card with HSBC which I defaulted on and they ended up sending that and my overdraft to MCS whilst I was a student. They sent them to MCS a week before they were meant to, which is a totally seperate issue in itself. The total debt was just under 6k now it's about 4k so yeh I do have a debt which has now been sold on.

So, you reckon I can ask for a cheque then?

Thanks for the congratulations, I'm waiting on Co-op and Egg's now and just sent the Lloyds LBA!!

Thanks for all your help. Let me know if there is anything else you need to know!

My charges claims:

Default removals:

Hmmm...it really does depend on who actually owns the debt. If HSBC, or a subsidiary, then they will keep the money, if not then I would ask for a cheque. Ask and see what happens...

Ok, well MCS own the debt now so I'll ask them. In my future letters I'm going to state right from the start I want it as a cheque!!

So, if MCS own the debt (which they do) you think I'll be ok asking for a cheque, just by crossing it out on the form?

How do debt collectors work anyway? I mean, how do they make their money? It baffles me.

My charges claims:

Default removals: