• Tweets

• Paint is a free programme on any Windows PC. But don't worry, the choice here is not either perfection or nothing. As you say, use your scanner, save the file ... and then use the "choose files" option when you post to CAG to add the file. We can do all the redacting and converting to the correct file type at this end.  The important thing is just to get the info to us. Why not do an experiment this afternoon and see if the above works?  
    • I see they're trying to round up asylum seekers and lock them up for about three months so they can be put on planes to Rwanda. I'm a bit surprised that this is legal.  
    • thought for the day "Prime ministers need a big strategy that tells you where you’re going, you need a bunch of tactics that get you there, and you need the ability to take everybody else with you."   Now I know you are all thinking 'why is the  UKs destination Rwanda ???
    • Asset Link filed for a default CCJ against me, in relation to an old Barclaycard debt which I apparently signed an agreement for back in 2000.   I did not own a Barclaycard in 2000 so I know this is not true.  The CCJ notice was sent to an old address so I did not receive it.  Years later when I found out about the CCJ when I applied for credit, I put an application in to have the CCJ set aside.   As part of the set aside case, I was asked by the judge to provide a draft defence, should the CCJ be set aside.   The defence I provided was that I did not admit to the debt as I had not been provided with any evidence of an original loan agreement.   I won the case and the CCJ was set aside.   Link then filed to court again to make me pay the debt.   We both filed directions questionnaires and the judge allocated the claim to the small claims track.   As part of the directions, additional directions given were as follows ' Additional Directions in a claim for an Assigned Debt - Because the claim is in respect of an assigned debt the Court makes the following directions for the management of claim.  The claim shall be automatically struck out at 4pm on 3 April 2024 unless, before that time, the Claimant delivers to the Court and to the Defendant the following documents'  It then listed various documents such as an original agreement, deed of assignment, notice of default, statement of account setting out how the alleged debt accrued under that agreement etc.     The Claimant failed to provide these documents within the deadline provided and instead I received a copy of a bundle of documents provided by them in preparation for the court date, this was received weeks after the deadline.    I have called the Court to ask if it has been automatically struck out and they advised that it is not automatic and that I should still send my witness statement by the deadline provided, which is Wednesday.  This does not give me much time to prepare my witness statement.   I have never done anything like this before and I am unclear what my witness statement should include.  My thoughts were that I should keep it simple and stick to the facts, like the fact thy have not provided evidence of the original agreement, or the deed of assignment of the debt.   They have provided a copy of a default notice from Baclaycard dated 2015, this states a figure of £550 but the debt they say I owe is £10k.   I am not sure what makes a valid default notice?   I have previously requested proof of the debt from Barclaycard directly and have evidence of emails between us where they have been unable to provide me with the agreement or any documents at all relating to the debt.   Should I include these as an appendix?  Are there any other documents I should include in my bundle?    I have also tried to mediate with the claimants, to save the court costs and time, on a without prejudice basis, but the claimants solicitors refused to mediate.   Should i state this in my witness statement too to show the judge that I have been reasonable and they haven't? Many thanks   Louise
    • Right that's exactly why so many drivers got caught, it had been that way for many years then suddenly changes with no warning
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

HSBC vs. The Large Portion

The Large Portion
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5968 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hellooooooooo!

I sent my first letter two weeks ago exactly, and I've just (on the 14 day mark) received a letter stating that my case is being looked into.

Therefore, I'm today going to send my letter before action via recorded delivery. Any tips on anything I need to do? In fairness, so far, I've not added the interest onto the outstanding charges, do I need to yet?

Here goes nothing :-)

Paul (The Large Portion)

Sounds like you have everything in order. I take it that you are not claiming overdraft interest? You would be right not to add the 8% statutory interest at this stage that happens when you file your court claim. :)

Guide to claiming back your bank charges

Most of your questions can be answered by following this link.

At this stage, no I'm not. I'm about to post my second letter via recorded delivery so hopefully, this will motivate them into some sort of positive result. I've received the standard "we're looking into it, bear with us" letter, I'm choosing to stick to our timetable so far.

Thanks for everyone's advice, this forum is brilliant. Hopefully there's one more result to come. I'll keep you informed - letter posted on day 15 recorded delivery.

• 3 weeks later...

Paul, I was in the same position as you and in the end my mother came through for me :)

I realise it's "borrowing" again but in this case it's as much a guarenteed return as you're ever likely to get.

IF you can't beg, borrow or otherwise acquire it, you may well have to leave it a bit to save the money up...shouldn't affect it that I'm aware of.

DCA's - they have the same power as an infinite number of untrained chimps working on a script for Hamlet, but the chimps would probably at least get it right :D

I delayed my submitting my claim to the county court for the same reason, I know other people who are having to do the same.

The 14 day period suggested here is a reasonable amount of time for HSBC to review your claim and make a sensible response, if you choose to extend it (its your claim you dictate the terms) your just being nice to them.

I would suggest if your delaying more than a couple of weeks you work out when you will be able to afford the court fee and send them another LBA 14 days before that but it shouldn’t be a problem.

pete

• 4 weeks later...

Now you have done your claim with MCOL you need to send 2 copies of your schedule of charges to MCOL:-

Your name & address

The Court Manager

Money Claim On Line

Northampton County Court

21-27 St.Katharine’s Street

Northampton

NN1 2LH

Date

Dear Sir/Madam,

xxxxxxxx –v- HSBC Bank Plc

Claim No: xxxxxxxxxx

Date Issued: xx xx xx

Please find enclosed the schedule of penalty charges taken from me by the defendant, along with interest claimed at the annual rate of 8% pursuant to section 69 of the County Court Act. The interest in addition to the amount in charges equates to the total amount in my claim, namely £xxx.xx, plus the court fee of £xxx.xx.

I respectfully request that the enclosed schedule should be attached to the particulars of my claim.

Yours sincerely

Then, once you have received the acknowledgement notice that DG intend to defend you will need to send a copy of your schedule of charge to DG:-

DG Solicitors

12 Calthorpe Road

Edgbaston

Birmingham

B15 1QZ

Date: xx.xx.xx

Dear Sir,

xxxxxxxxxxxx‘v’ HSBC Bank plc

Claim No: xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Date of Issue:xx.xx.xx

Please find enclosed a copy of my schedule of charges and interest claimed under section 69 of the County Court Act 1984 at 8% from the date of each charge to the date of the claim. Please note that I am continuing to claim interest at 8% until judgement or settlement at a daily rate of £x.xx per day.

Yours sincerely

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]If you think my post was helpful, please feel free to click my scales

A prudent question is one-half of wisdom.

:D

Disaster. Somehow, and I don't know how I've done it, I've got the claimant and defendant stages the wrong way round when filling out the online form. When the claim came through this morning, I nearly had a heart attack when I read that I was the defendant.

How in god's name do I recover myself from this!!

Oooooops. You will need to cancel the claim. I'm not quite sure how you will do this as you have put yourself down as the defendant. Give MCOL a ring on Monday and explain the situation with them. You may be able to do an amendment.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]If you think my post was helpful, please feel free to click my scales

A prudent question is one-half of wisdom.

:D

Right, situation possibly saved. I've spoken to the court, I have to submit an N244 form to amend the claim, but also filling out an N1 too.

When filling out the form on moneyclaim, where it says amount claimed, do I put in the amount including the 8% interest to date, or just the amount that's actually been debited?

Cheers

Paul

Haha feel free to chuck a couple of eggs at them while you're at it!

If they're going to try to justify charging £125 per month in charges they can count that in their costs!!

Thanks for your help again guys, just waiting for some help with the N244 form (made a friend at the MCOL helpline, lol!) and then we're back on track. Just hoping that guy in Hull hasn't set precident for future cases!!

Hiya LP, we have a judge in Hull threatening to throw out claims and a judge in Reading threatening to throw out defences.... and somewhere in between everyone else has their own ideas.

Best advice is to play your own game with whichever court and judge you have and not worry about the "headline" cases.

pete

hear hear - but it would be nice for a test case to make it to the big cheese judges so all banks have to give us our money back without the need for court but in saying that it is fun:D.

personnally i would love to send in the bailiffs.

And thats exactly why, despite the best efforts of the district judges, no test case has ever got to court.

I think the Lloyds TSB case may have been an effort to force the situation in the apeal court but its backfired and its now going to the Ombudsman cest la vie.

pete

Keep going everyone, the determination of everyone is spurring myself and i have no doubt soo many others. Power to the people and all that! ;) I think you are right, Lloyds have bitten off more than they can chew, that judge was cursed by all the experts for going against the law. The law is on OUR side and soon all the banks will have to splash the cash to US for a change, the greedy, *******'*. Grrrrr:-x

And we're away! I've sent a new claim, including the charges sheet and a claim amend form to get my case going.

The only downside is that it's cost me £35, but another way to look at this is that I get that back in the interest charges claimed back from the original case.

Woohoo, one more to D&G (with an egg enclosed :grin:) and we've got another case on our hands!

Paul

Progress is a wonderful thing :-)

Got up this morning and there's a letter from HSBC. They're prepared to offer me £2377 (against the £2722 i'm claiming for). Their reasons for this is that I've already had a £200 refund of charges already (as an incentive to get into their premium plus bank accounts scheme) and £200 in charges upto and including today.

What would you guys do? I'm not sure, I didn't remember the refund but going through the statements again, they're definately there.

However - the court would allocate, in respect of interest and full amount, approx £3100.

Any suggestions?