• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Beckett v Lloyds TSB - Going Back More than 6 Years

TBeckett100
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6078 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

OK not an expert, but I have watching your post to see if someone with more knowledge answers it; well it is holiday time and this will bump your post.

From what I have read - provided you have done everything as per the Step-by-Step guide it would seem that you should win by default. Very interesting that SCM asked for a Stay and that was rejected - I wonder WHY :) :)

You may in the intervening period look up 'Abuse of Process'; also the court directives are just that - obey or reap the consequences; I really cannot see how they can ignore the court directives and just please themselves as to what they decide to do. Again only IMVHO as NOT an expert - just someone who has spent FAR TOO long on here reading stuff.

Best of luck anyway.

PS As it is still the holiday season if I were you I would be doing some more searching here on bits that can help you, as perhaps the experts are at Brighton splashing in the sea :) :)

If you think this post has been of help, please click on my SCALES on the left - thanks :-) :-x

Peter Anderson

Me Vs Morgan Stanley - WON £490

Me V's LTSB - Private & Bus Acc - £18.8k (since Oct1997)

inc: S.69 Interest (and growing daily) -;)

Please remember to DONATE when you have WON

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i read somewhere that someone went to court and another banks solicitors got stays for everyone in my local court so the judge can be swayed

Halifax WON X 2, Northern Rock WON, Capital One WON, Marbles WON, HSBC WON

On the 25th october I will be filing a claim for £175.00 Citicards. Just watch it!

well they only have a week to get their offer on the table and in a cheque to me. if they make me turn up i will claim costs. i suspect they will try for a stay again next friday like they did with someone else. however as i am arguing the statute of limitations, a hearing is needed and i can embarras them by reminding the judge that SCM turns up empty handed on a whim of a stay

On the 25th october I will be filing a claim for £175.00 Citicards. Just watch it!

Despite the judge refusing the request for a Stay, SCM have been underhand and faxed the judge a letter (more fully) requesting a STAY in light of the case next Friday.

I have previously sent the judge a letter about the STAY and I amm not sure if this contributed or whether this was done of the own accord.

I am worried now the Judge will accept, and all I can do is send a fax tomorrow to the court outlining the fact that SCM have only requested this because they did not file evidence and they want to delay,

can anyone help here??????

I have drafted this, could anyone add any pointers or do you think this is fasir enough?

Claim 7QT01583 – BECKETT V LLOYDS TSB

I write further to a fax sent by Sechiari Clark & Mitchell on 30.08.2007 requesting a Stay on my claim, for the second time. Please accept my apologies for this urgent message; however I wished for you to take my points into consideration before concluding.

With respect, I wish to object for the reasons set out below.

1) I brought my claim against Lloyds TSB because Lloyds TSB did not enter into any negotiation, or acknowledge AT ANY TIME my complaint against them. Lloyds TSB were given a period of 4 weeks to respond to my original claim. Since Lloyds TSB at the time were settling claims, and in some cases continue to do so, therefore court action appears the only route forward, costing the claimant £120. Furthermore, I was left with little choice.

2) Lloyds TSB has already requested a “stay” on this claim which was refused by the District Judge.

3) An order by Reading County Court requested all documentation to be relied upon should be filed 14 days prior to the hearing, with copies sent to the other party. I confirm that my evidence was supplied to Reading County Court and SCM within this time period.

4) Despite receiving notification of the refusal for a “stay” prior to the 14 day period, SC&M/Lloyds TSB still failed to provide documentation which they intend to rely upon. It is my belief that SC&M has requested a “stay” for the second time (in somewhat a hurried manner) on the basis they have left it too late to present a case. It is my opinion that the second request for a “stay” amounts to damage limitation on their part. Furthermore, I believe that failure to adhere to the court directions and ignorance or the declined stay request amounts to “an abuse of the court process”.

5) My claim against Lloyds TSB centers on whether an issue of “service” charges amounts to “cloaking” and whether the Statute of Limitations Act would permit my claim on the basis that the “unlawfulness” of the charges was hidden and I have only just become aware. It is my belief that this case should be presented as this area, to my knowledge is not covered by the OFT “test” case and may require a hearing further on.

6) From a human point of view, I do not have the means nor the legal background of Sechiari Clark & Mitchell but I have managed to comprehend and adhere to the seriousness of the directions ordered by the court. I have found the past month very stressful and in putting my case together I have expelled a great deal of time and distraction. In my opinion it would be a shame for the hearing on 7th September to be vacated because Lloyds TSB have been granted a “stay” on my claim, requested for the second time because they failed to provide a defence for them to rely upon.

Finally, whilst I respect your final Judgment, I hope that you understand my concerns, the convenient timing of this second request (and hurried nature) and order this case to proceed as normal.

Yours faithfully

Tom Beckett

Claimant

On what basis have they requested a stay? I would have thought that they run the risk of annoying the judge if he has already rejected a stay. Would also help a great deal to understand your particular case if you stuck to just the one thread!

its a 2 page letter referring to my case next Fri saying this is an urgent request , refers to test case and bullet points brief details of OFT claim. states they will be there at the hearing next week if the request is denied to assist the court in anyway they can

will the judge see through this second request. I am hoping my letter sent last thurs confirming they havent done the bundle will sway the judge

the problem is, my letter stating no compliance has not been loaded on the court system as they have a 5 day turn around, i hope the letter i deafted above will reach the judge as quick as their urgent fax has

sorry, the threads are getting clogged up with people on stage 1 of LBAs and stayed claims (all important) but i need to convey my urgent implosion

does anyone think Lloyds will suceed writing to the judge again for a stay after being refused the first time round and missing their deadline fore the bundle?

send the judge a letter outining the reasons for not having a stay. Lloyds have been cheeky with my case and sent a fax to the judge for the second time asking for a stay,

keep ahead of the game, good luck.

I have spoken to the court this morning and was told because of turnaround times, it is unlikely the second stay request will be reviewed before the hearing. is it better not to inform SC&M in the hope that they may now forget about the case or call them and hope they may offer something?

Ok, my heart is now officially racing as Friday looms.

Thankfully I have never been in court before. Please can anyone share their experiences maybe to alleviate the anxiety!!

a copy of their proscecution notes. I have done a few pages of A4 summarising the points I wish to make and where i should ask the judge etc to refer to, but with Friday looming it would be magic to have someone elses just so I know all bases have been covered and i dont kick myself under the table. much appreciated

skeleton arguments (good to see whether my notes are on a par!, sorry i didnt mean prosecution, you know what i mean)

better leave the black cap at home that day

I'll pass it along - if you haven't heard by say wed morning then contact me again and I'll re nudge it.

But Reading have always been one of the better courts.

If you send me a blank e-mail - I'll send you some court tips.

[email protected]

Consumer Health Forums - where you can discuss any health or relationship matters.