• Tweets

• Items for sale include five rare Ferraris and a pair of Air Jordan sneakers signed by Michael Jordan.View the full article
    • TECHZONE BUXTON LTD overview - Find and update company information - GOV.UK FIND-AND-UPDATE.COMPANY-INFORMATION.SERVICE.GOV.UK TECHZONE BUXTON LTD - Free company information from Companies House including registered office address, filing history, accounts, annual... thread title updated. dx
    • next time dont upload 19 single page pdfs use the sites listed on upload to merge them into one multipage pdf.. we aint got all day to download load single page files 2024-01-15 DBCLegal SAR.pdf
    • If you have not kept the original PCN you can always send an SAR to Excel and they have to send you all the info they have on you within a month. failure to do so can lead to you being able to sue them for their failure.......................................nice irony.
    • Thank you and well done  for posting up all those notices it must have have taken you ages.. The entrance sign is very helpful since the headline states                    FREE PARKING FOR CUSTOMERS ONLY in capitals with not time limit mentioned. Underneath and not in capitals they then give the actual times of parking which would not be possible to read when driving into the car park unless you actually stopped and read them. Very unlikely especially arriving at 5.30 pm with possibly other cars behind. On top of that the Notice goes on to say that the terms and conditions are inside the car park so the entrance sign cannot offer a contract it is merely an offer to treat. Inside the car park the signs are mostly too high up and the font size too small to be able to read much of their signs. DCBL have not shown a single sign that can be read on their SAR. Although as they show photographs which were taken the year after your alleged breach we do not know what the signs were when you were there. For instance the new signs showed the charge was then £100 whereas your PCN was for £85. Who knows, when you were there perhaps the time was for 3 hours. They were asked to produce  planning permission which would have been necessary for the ANPR cameras alone and didn't do so. Nor did they provide a copy of the contract-DCBL  "deeming them disproportionate or not relevant to the substantive issues in the dispute" How arrogant and untruthful is that? The contract and planning permission could be vital to having the claim thrown out. I can find no trace of planning permission for the signs nor the cameras on Tonbridge Council planning portal. and the contract of course is highly relevant since some contracts advise the parking rouges that they cannot take motorists to Court. I understand that Europarks are now running that car park which means that nexus didn't  last long before being thrown out.....................................
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Taking Cabot to court for failing to supply HSBC CCA + Distress etc

tbern123
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5437 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

PLEASE READ THIS:

http://www.cabotfinancial.com/pdf/Legal%20Misconceptions%20in%20Debt%20Sale%20and%20Administration.doc

I wonder if, this has to do with us ???

LOL.. Corn Legs Dwarf - sorry,I mean Glen Crawford, sounds a trifel pi**ed off with us lot..I mean, who else could he be refering to?

I'm still waiting for my reply back from a certain bank that will clarify what Cabot actually buy when they purchase a debt...I've asked for clairification that Cabot buy's the rights and the duties, be interesting to see what the bank's view is in all this...

My own personal fave from Corn Legs is this bit :

In fact, where a creditor fails to provide information requested in accordance with any of those sections, what the Act does is to prevent the creditor from enforcing the agreement until the creditor provides the information

[The creditor is not entitled, while the default continues, to enforce the agreement”: section 77(4)(a), 78(6)(a) and 97(3)

Well, if Cabot is aware of this then why do they do it. I can't understand what's wrong with Cabot, can't they understand that all we want is for the DCA's to act lawfully/legally. If a debt is owed to them, then by all means collect it as long as:

a) They're entitled to so by Law

b) Follow all the OFT etc guidelines on debt collection.

c) Show some compassion as and when compassion is needed.

What's so hard about that Glen?

• Haha 2

Just hate every DCA out there

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No, it bloomin well doesn't!!! My leg still hurts where my horse kicked me yesterday. :evil:

LoL ..Another question here on the LOP Act re this case:

House of Lords - Mulkerrins (formerly Woodward (FC)) (Appellant) v. Pricewaterhouse Coopers (a firm) (formerly trading as Coopers & Lybrand) (a firm) (Respondents)

13. The general rule is that the benefit of a contract may be assigned to a third party without the consent of the other contracting party. If this is not desired, it is open to the parties to agree that the benefit of the contract shall not be assignable by one or either of them, either at all or without the consent of the other party. There is nothing objectionable in this; a party is entitled to insist that he deal only with the particular party with whom he has contracted: see Linden Gardens Trust Ltd v Lenesta Sludge Disposals Ltd [1994] 1 AC 85, 105, per Lord Browne-Wilkinson. But unless he takes the precaution of including in the contract a prohibition of assignment, he has no right to object to it. A debt is freely assignable both at law and in equity without the debtor's consent. Section 136 of the Law of Property Act 1925 requires notice of the assignment to be given to the debtor if it is to be effective at law; it does not require his consent.

Do you think this is the one case that Cabot is relying on??

House of Lords - Mulkerrins (formerly Woodward (FC)) (Appellant) v. Pricewaterhouse Coopers (a firm) (formerly trading as Coopers & Lybrand) (a firm) (Respondents)

13. The general rule is that the benefit of a contract may be assigned to a third party without the consent of the other contracting party. If this is not desired, it is open to the parties to agree that the benefit of the contract shall not be assignable by one or either of them, either at all or without the consent of the other party. There is nothing objectionable in this; a party is entitled to insist that he deal only with the particular party with whom he has contracted: see Linden Gardens Trust Ltd v Lenesta Sludge Disposals Ltd [1994] 1 AC 85, 105, per Lord Browne-Wilkinson. But unless he takes the precaution of including in the contract a prohibition of assignment, he has no right to object to it. A debt is freely assignable both at law and in equity without the debtor's consent. Section 136 of the Law of Property Act 1925 requires notice of the assignment to be given to the debtor if it is to be effective at law; it does not require his consent.

And interesting point from the abovecase:

15. The reason that the debtor's consent is not required to an assignment of a debt is that the assignment cannot prejudice him. The assignment is subject to equities, which means that any set-off which the debtor may have against the assignor can be asserted against the assignee.

I did initially get all excited about that bit when I thought it meant it WOULD need my consent for the debt to be assigned. But got all despondent when I read it would need to have been written into the contract beforehand. Which is nonsense, because, there IS no enforceable agreement anyway. Hang on a minute!!!!! If there is no enforceable agreement, then surely there are NO terms and conditions to refer to, so should Barclaycard have been able to assign the debt to Kings Hill in the first place without my consent, and therefore neither did Kings Hill have a right to assign that debt to Cabot Europe without my consent????? Bearing in mind that I'm not arguing the rights and wrongs of the DPA here, I'm just examining what the HoL have said about the Property Act in one particular case.

Helllooooo, am I right, or am I hallucinating?????????

I'm off to bed before my brain melts.

And interesting point from the abovecase:

15. The reason that the debtor's consent is not required to an assignment of a debt is that the assignment cannot prejudice him. The assignment is subject to equities, which means that any set-off which the debtor may have against the assignor can be asserted against the assignee.

does this mean that "the person who has bought the debt" is liable for any unlawful charges that the credit card company has added --- ???

:cool: sunbathing in juan les pins de temps en temps

does this mean that "the person who has bought the debt" is liable for any unlawful charges that the credit card company has added --- ???

That's how I'm reading it, yes.

If they are, they have misunderstood the situation.

A debt can be assigned, I have no problem with that. The problem is, following that assignment, does the new party become the creditor.

And the answer is yes:

UNADKAT & Co (ACCOUNTANTS) LTD And ASHOK BHARDWAJ .V. The TREASURY SOLICITOR : [2006] EWHC 2785 (Ch) paragraph 2.

.(by virtue of of a debt assignment, the interested party becomes the creditor).

And according to The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Trade and Industry (Mr. Gerry Sutcliffe)

Under clause 23, a debt purchaser who became a creditor or owner when he purchased the loan would require a licence

Remember if you find anything I say helpful, please click the scales

tbern123 vs Cabot

1. Cabot again !!! Urgent Help Needed
  2. Litigation - tbern123 V Cabot Financial (Uk) Limited
  3. No more calls from Cabot... lol

WW, GC and KM have got some catching up to do tomorrow. I wonder if they get together and discuss the things we post...

I would love to be a fly on the wall during one of those meetings.

Remember if you find anything I say helpful, please click the scales

tbern123 vs Cabot

1. Cabot again !!! Urgent Help Needed
  2. Litigation - tbern123 V Cabot Financial (Uk) Limited
  3. No more calls from Cabot... lol

I'm going to ask WW in the morning.

(BTW see post 1283 - you're lagging a bit, P ;)) :D

OOer...that's weird, cos I did a site search before I posted this cos I didn't want to repeat anything...The site search bought nothing up either...Hey ho- least we're thinking along the same lines :p

Tbern...Your thoughts match mine...Imagine the debate over morning coffee they might have lol.....wonder if Glen's new nickname is Cornlegs pml

An interesting assertion that a genuine enquiry to prove that a DCA does

have the right to collect a debt by way of a CCA request makes us

rogues.

I note that there was no mention of the rogues in his own business who send

out spurious copies of application forms etc, knowing full well that they do

not comply with the CCA, then continue to pursue the debtor in flagrant

disregard to the Law.

Or the other rogues who pursue a debtor without the authority of the original

creditor and who fail to desist after receiving such instructions from the OC.

I still don't see how, merely because his company was not the original lender,

DCAs can take on the rights but not the duties of the OC when a debt is

assigned to them.

I am pleased to see that the CAB is challenging them on this, since the DCAs

would claim that complying with a CCA request is a duty as is complying with

the terms of the original agreement-both of which they would be delighted

to weasel out of.

I am sure I read in the CCA that a debtor is entitled to challenge the right of

a DCA if they administer the debt in a more draconian way than allowed for

in the agreement but cannot find it now?.

Hi

It is also interesting to see that Mr Crawford does not appear to understand the word 'creditor'

Quote:

We do not believe that debt purchasers fall within the definition of "creditor" in section 189(1) of the Consumer Credit Act, because they take assignments of the rights, but not the duties, of creditors under consumer credit agreements: they collect the debts, but they do not themselves lend money

The definition of creditor in the dictionary is:

Noun1.creditor - a person to whom money is owed by a debtor; someone to whom an obligation exists

So if Cabot or any other DCA claim that a debt is owed to them then they are creditors!! What is so difficult for them to understand??:confused:

Regards, Pam

VITAL - IF YOU HAVE AN ISSUE ABOUT THE INCREASED BAILIFFS' POWERS TO BREAK INTO YOUR HOME AND USE FORCE IN ORDER TO GET YOUR GOODS THEN JOIN THE PETITION HERE:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.c o....l#post53879 9

Anyone seeing this who wants to help by copying it to their signature please do.

WW, GC and KM have got some catching up to do tomorrow. I wonder if they get together and discuss the things we post...

I would love to be a fly on the wall during one of those meetings.

This company sure do need to wake up and smell the coffee!!! We seem to be doing their jobs for them? I reckon they should just give up and save themselves the headaches!!

I'm sure they wish some of us would just go away, Liz. But haven't they thought that perhaps a simple letter saying, OK, we give up, would MAKE some of us go away? Or are they so feckin stupid, that they think it's really worth while dragging this out, hoping that we'll eventually pay up?

Although I'll pay up on the same day as old Beelzebub has to put on his winter woollies. :D

This company sure do need to wake up and smell the coffee!!! We seem to be doing their jobs for them? I reckon they should just give up and save themselves the headaches!!

pERHAPS we should form a venture capitalist group and buy them out !

( I've got a spare shilling (had budgeted it for the gas meter) to fund the purchase ( management buy out) of cabot(we've got some privet in the garden so perhaps i could form a "hedge fund") then we could sack em and sell the debts back to joe public at 10 pence in the pound .

In fact why couldn't some charity set itself up like cabot ?? and do just that ??

Hi

It is also interesting to see that Mr Crawford does not appear to understand the word 'creditor'

Quote:

We do not believe that debt purchasers fall within the definition of "creditor" in section 189(1) of the Consumer Credit Act, because they take assignments of the rights, but not the duties, of creditors under consumer credit agreements: they collect the debts, but they do not themselves lend money

The definition of creditor in the dictionary is:

Noun1.creditor - a person to whom money is owed by a debtor; someone to whom an obligation exists

So if Cabot or any other DCA claim that a debt is owed to them then they are creditors!! What is so difficult for them to understand??:confused:

Regards, Pam

SO Cabot are saying that when they lend you money (they do do this) they are creditors, but when they are trying to collect money from you that you 'owe' them, they are not creditors???!!

Hey perhaps Ken and Co might offer us jobs in their legal department...:grin:

Hi

Just another thought - IF it turned out to be correct that Cabot was not the creditor because the duties had not been assigned then it would be the case that the duties still rest with the original lender.

So we would need to send the CCA request to them. If the copy agreement was not forthcoming or the agreement was improperly executed then surely the 'rights' under the agreement would still be unenforceable (at least without a court order) - whoever owns them!!

Regards, Pam

VITAL - IF YOU HAVE AN ISSUE ABOUT THE INCREASED BAILIFFS' POWERS TO BREAK INTO YOUR HOME AND USE FORCE IN ORDER TO GET YOUR GOODS THEN JOIN THE PETITION HERE:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.c o....l#post53879 9

Anyone seeing this who wants to help by copying it to their signature please do.

Hey perhaps Ken and Co might offer us jobs in their legal department...:grin:

I worked for an engineering company once where the shop steward ( we had unions then ( pre maggie :grin: ) was a hell raiser and had us all out on strike more times than we had lunch breaks... any excuse - 'down tools' - so what did the company do? - made him personnel manager, gave him a car, bought him a suit, doubled his salary ( probably ) and brought him into management - he was not a popular bunny with the Union but the strikes stopped - Ken - are you reading? - there's a few who might be worth employing out here ! :grin: :grin:

I worked for an engineering company once where the shop steward ( we had unions then ( pre maggie :grin: ) was a hell raiser and had us all out on strike more times than we had lunch breaks... any excuse - 'down tools' - so what did the company do? - made him personnel manager, gave him a car, bought him a suit, doubled his salary ( probably ) and brought him into management - he was not a popular bunny with the Union but the strikes stopped - Ken - are you reading? - there's a few who might be worth employing out here ! :grin: :grin:

HOW MANY PIECES OF SILVER ????

OK, query sent to WW, cc'd to NG and KM.

Cabot Financial (UK) Limited

c/o Mr Willem Wellinghoff

Dear Mr Wellinghoff,

thank you once again for the opportunity to contact you regarding this matter.

Whilst I am still awaiting a reply from you regarding your assertion that the "rights but not the duties" of the original creditor apply to the owner, and therefore the creditor, of the account, I now have reason to believe that the Act that Cabot Financial (UK) Limited are basing their assumptions on, is The Law of Property Act 1925.

Would you please be so good as to confirm or deny this for me, please?

If that is the case, and bearing in mind that the basis I am challenging the amount owed is that it is made up of, at least partially, unfair penalty charges imposed by the original creditors, do you feel that I should now be challenging Cabot Financial (UK) Limited regarding those unfair penalties?

I would like to refer you to this snippet, taken from:

is the part I am particularly interested in. And I would like your opinion as a matter of some urgency, so that I may consider my next step in bringing this matter to a satisfactory conclusion.

As I understand the paragraph, this means that if I have a dispute with the original creditor's calculation of how much was owing, and to whom, as the debt has be assigned by the original creditor to (Cabot Financial (UK) Limited), it is the new owner to whom I should direct my dispute.

I would be much obliged if you would confirm or otherwise, my interpretation of the above. And if you do not agree, then I would seek your interpretation in the alternative.

Yours Sincerely,

Seahorse

• Haha 1