Rutilus v Natwest

Rutilus
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6222 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Basically the longer than 6 years thing. Should I be doing it?

Also I had a charge free O/D (student account) was forced (basically) to transfer it onto a newer current account as I could not clear said O/D on student acc. Will I have incurred any charges on a regular basis after transfering O/D, if so, what do I look for on statements? Only thing I am sure of is unarranged borrowing fees.

I appreciate that I may have entirely the wrong end of the stick with respect to transfered O/D, but would greatly appreciate any assisstance that can be proffered.

Cheers in advance,

Rutilus.

Guest NATTIE

The conversion of students accounts as a general rule is 6 years, 3 years undergrad and 3 years in the world of work, you cannot have a student account forever(if only that were the case:D )

Hope that clarifies it.

Right! sorted I think?! S32 refers to section 32 of the statute of limitations act 1980. Para c, is the key I assume it states; the period of limitation shall not run until the plaintiff has discovered the fraud, concealment or mistake (as the case may be) or could with reasonable diligence have discovered it. Basically I assume that means until we had reasonable doubt we were being ripped off by the banks etc. the limitation, if any cannot commence until we require evidence of the account. In that case no limitation exists I should in theory be able to ask for statements or documentation from 1983. A bit long winded but I got there! Somebody`s gonna tell me thats all drivel are`nt they? keep in touch Ruti. Have a look at my thread michael browne has posted a link to the act.

Been tied up for a couple of days hence the time taken to respond.

Anyway, cheers for the input NATTIE, they took about 8 months to chase me up about my student account so the 6 year conversion was hardly considered. Still it is of little relevance and just something I wanted to discuss with a person in the know.

Parkvale, cheers for the link but I had already seen it, hence my concerns over wether or not to stick with the original 6 year limit on claims.

Still, I have 34 days to ponder my situation and will be monitoring the site to see if anything relevant comes up over the next few weeks.

Bob, I have added your thread to m favourites and will be watching with a keen interest.

• 2 weeks later...

Right, recieved my first tatty brown envelope today (and I thought you were all joking) but I have only recieved statements going back to October 2002.

I requested all my statements for the entire duration of the account (approx 10 years) am I likely to recieve my earlier statements in the near future?

Also, what are refferal charges? Can I claim these as well as I have found a few so far and they are £60 a time?

Cheers in advance,

Rutilus.

Sorry folks, forget the referal charge thing, got my head outta my arse and re-read Natties stickies.

On a different note, the majority of the charges on my statements are labled simply as charges (guess that makes sense) but obviously when I eventually make out my schedule I need to state what the charge was for. Over the years these unlabled charges have been for £14, £20 and £28 respectively, can I assume that these are all unarranged borrowing fees? Looking at my statements this would seem to be the case and the amounts point to this, but I don't want to make any mistakes.

All your answers are here thanks to nattie

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/natwest-bank/79547-natwest-charges-guide.html

i think they r all charges which r reclaimable but check 1ST

Scott

Cheers Scott, I've read Natties thread on charges. I'm sure that all the charges I have highlighted on the statements I recieved today (still waiting on 5 years worth, I'm going for the lot pre 6 years and all) are charges I can reclaim. My question is, will the charges that are labled simply charges, as opposed to others which are quite clearly defined as referal charges, be unarranged borrowing fees. I need to know for when I identify my charges on my schedule when I submit my claim.

As previously stated the charges range over the years, £14, £20 and £28, and as such they match the charges for unarranged borrowing fees over the years. Unfortunately these charges are not identified as a particular type of charge and herein lies my concern and confusion.

Any and all advice appreciated.

Rutilus.

Hi Rutilus, these are definitely unarranged borrowing fees. If you have a look at your statements, you'll probably see that these 'charges' were applied at the end/beginning of the month when you've gone overdrawn/over your overdraft in the preceding month. I have the same on my statements too............. they're deffo the unarranged borrowing fees. xxx :p

Can't find what you're looking for? Please have a look at Michael Browne's

A-Z Guide

*** PLEASE NOTE ***

I do not answer queries via PM. If you send me a PM, please include a link to your thread - any advice I am able to offer will be on your thread.

Thanks both, I realised that the charges were conducive with those issued for unarranged borrowing fees over the years and yes, they were always taken at the end of the month as you suggested Hedgey.

I was fairly confident that they were unarranged borrowing fees but was looking for a little reassurance. I can't be more reassured than I am when Mr 35k tells me I'm barking up the right tree.

Thanks both, I will update as and when the rest of my statments arrive. It has only taken a fortnight for the first lot to arrive (which I thought was suprisingly quick) I will probably have to wait ages for the rest now.

Guest NATTIE

hedgey is 100% correct Unarranged borrowing fee

if you do not have the other statements please chase them up on Tuesday.

Not sure what you mean by 'calling' Rutilus. What stage are you actually at with nat west?????

Can't find what you're looking for? Please have a look at Michael Browne's

A-Z Guide

*** PLEASE NOTE ***

I do not answer queries via PM. If you send me a PM, please include a link to your thread - any advice I am able to offer will be on your thread.

Still working out what I am owed at the moment Hedgey, but I have not yet received all of my statements. Nattie has advised me to persue the rest of them on Tuesday if they have not arrived. I assumed that to do so I would need to contact the bank and the natural way to do this would be via the telephone. This is what I meant by 'calling' the bank.

This also explains my request for the correct number I should be using to follow Natties advice.

If there is an alternative method, or if I should simply be writing to ask where the rest of my statements are, keeping contact by letter, then could somebody please advise me of this.

I would have thought the phone call would be the best option as it is more direct and keeps the process moving at the quickest possible pace.

Cheers for your input and for suffering my ignorance.

Rutilus.

Hi Ruti, Have recieved statements today, same probs as yourself ,they sent me only 4 years 4 months worth. I am trying to get my head around the interest bit on the calcs at the moment. Will phone nasty west tomorrow for an answer as to why I`m 9 years short on statements! Should be interesting to hear the reply. If you phone and get a response don`t forget to write and document any answers with names and positions, this may prove to be important and beneficial to others. I will do the same. Good luck Ruti.

What exactly is it with the interest that is bothering you Bob? I didn't think interset became an issue until you were at the stage of taking your claim to court?

Still not recieved any further statements, not been able to contact them yet due to unforseen circumstances getting in the way, shall be making the call soon.

Any and all information I feel is relevant will be posted on here as soon as possible.

The interest bit is what you were charged by the bank when and if you were overdrawn due to the charges imposed by nat west. I think it could take some working out, in fact some have claimed charges alone, I think its purely a personal thing. Having phoned nat west today it looks like I will have plenty of time to work out the meaning of life, let alone interest charges! They seem to have a lot of people to deal with.....shame!:rolleyes:

Hi Rutilus

Just to let you know I'm also in the same 'beyond six years or not' club. Mine is with Barclays, so may pan out a little differently, but people have succeded with beyond-6-year claims, I get the impression you just need to be spot on with calculations, dates, what you say in letters etc.

There are spreadsheets in the forum that work out the figures for you. Oh, and there was mention of interest earlier - the general thing, I think, is to add 8%, but some people have tried to get more like the 20-odd% the bank would charge you if the situation was reversed. I don't think you can claim for the higher interest rates charged to you when you were overdrawn, but some people may know different.

Right, gotta go do the washing up! Good luck with it all! BtheJ