Powergen rip off

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6023 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

recieved a final bill from them today for Jan to March 2007 with Electric at £60 and Gas at £600!

When we rang them to sort it out they say it's because they estimated the gas over 3 years, and have now corrected it because we gave them the readings.

Do we just pay it or is there something that could be done. Surely they should have sent a metre reader round at some point in that 3 years.

It's really angered me this!

Working to remove my debts

The balance is not justified or collectable if they have failed to get a correct reading for a 2 year period.

hi Ozzy thanks. Can you expand on that a bit though. Is it in their T&Cs?

Working to remove my debts

Yeah its in the Code of Practice for Accurate Bills.

Under what circumstances will suppliers agree not to charge customers for

energy used?

If the supplier is at fault, and the customer has not received a bill for more than two

years, then from 1st July 2006 any outstanding amounts that relate to energy consumed

more than two years ago will be cancelled. From July 2007, this will reduce to one year.

For customers on credit payment arrangements, suppliers will not be at fault where they

can demonstrate that they have taken all of the following four actions:

a) Attempted to read the meter at the customer’s premises within the last 24

months within the first year. From July 2007 onwards this will reduce to

within the last 15 months.

b) Provided opportunities for the customer to submit their own meter reading at

any time on any day

c) Ensured that it was clear on the bill that energy consumption had been

estimated

d) Used a system to ensure estimated bills relate to foreseeable actual

consumption (that is, the estimate was based on previous history, where

available, or on average energy consumption for a similar type of property)

Where the customer pays by direct debit, in addition to a) and b) above, the supplier

must be able to demonstrate that it has taken all of the following actions:

. the customer has been correctly set up on their billing system by both taking

deductions from the customer’s bank account and sending statements to them

. within the last 24 months in the first year reducing to 15 months for year 2

onwards it has re-assessed the customer’s direct debit payment to ensure that

the payments are sufficient to meet (either the actual or a reasonable estimate

of) the customer’s energy usage.

hi i work for powergen and u will find it very difficult to have the final bill reduced, as the bills clearly state they are estimates and if a meter reader has been and not gained access to the meter ie you were not in etc

have they billed the final bill to an actual read?

has there been a meter exchange?

these can always make a differance to the bill

also make sure the final read they have is correct as they obtain this reading from your new supplier.

I also work for Powergen and you will find it very easy to have the bill reduced if the company have not stuck to the billing code and charging the consumer unlawfully. Too many people pay their bills without question.

• Haha 1

hey power gen im with power basically ive a problem, some bloke read my token meter then i get a itemised bill why thought the bloke read my meter,ok its a token 1 they should know what i pay.

surley after some 1 reads a meter its a true reading why estimate.

DPA SENT TO MBNA

7/4/07 40 DAYS MAY 16 ..

Send the DPA letter for all the statements include a £10 postal order and write "DPA request fee only" across the back of it. Send the letter by Special next day guaranteed delivery. Keep the receipts. Keep a copy of the letter as well.

Either the meter reader did not hand the reading into Powergen properly or their has been a fault with your readings. Or they have the correct read but have to estimate on the day of a price increase or decrease. Phone them with your correct read and ask for a statement to date on that read.

As a pensioner couple living on the state pension, we could really do with some help and guidance concerning Powergen.

We joined the TXU Staywarm scheme for pensioners in 2001 which confirmed "Use as much energy as you need - an exclusive service for pensioners" at a fixed monthly payment of £38.33 for gas and electricity. This was later increased to £40.95 per month and paid by debit order.

Powergen then took over TXU Staywarm and the debit orders continued until January 2006 when I changed banks and somehow this debit order was not transferred to the new bank.

The first intimation was a demand for an unpaid energy bill of £201.27 allegedly for a bill dated May 2006, but not received.

Fair enough, I've been paying it off but have now been told this only covers gas as I allegedly transferred to an alternative electricity supplier in July 2003.

This is completely untrue and no account from any other supplier has been received. Powergen have given no indication of our gas consumption which makes it impossible for me to check alternative suppliers.

All suggestions as how to resolve the impasse would be gratefully received.

As a pensioner couple living on the state pension, we could really do with some help and guidance concerning Powergen.

We joined the TXU Staywarm scheme for pensioners in 2001 which confirmed "Use as much energy as you need - an exclusive service for pensioners" at a fixed monthly payment of £38.33 for gas and electricity. This was later increased to £40.95 per month and paid by debit order.

Powergen then took over TXU Staywarm and the debit orders continued until January 2006 when I changed banks and somehow this debit order was not transferred to the new bank.

The first intimation was a demand for an unpaid energy bill of £201.27 allegedly for a bill dated May 2006, but not received.

Fair enough, I've been paying it off but have now been told this only covers gas as I allegedly transferred to an alternative electricity supplier in July 2003.

This is completely untrue and no account from any other supplier has been received. Powergen have given no indication of our gas consumption which makes it impossible for me to check alternative suppliers.

All suggestions as how to resolve the impasse would be gratefully received.

what may have happened is that when ur staywarm contract ended as they are only 12 month contracts, powergen may have put u on there normal billing tarriff. basically a product switch ring up staywarm and i am sure they will help.

• 4 months later...
Thanks Lindsay 22 and Ozzy Wizard for your help.

I note what is said about July.

Hi i have just got a bill from powergen saying that i owe them £524.00 i have a pre payment meter when i phoned them to ask about it i was told its because the meter has not been re ajusted in all the time i have had this meter it goes back to feb 2006 ,now i am a housewife so i am at home most of the time,i am here to let them in to read it but not to re ajust it , i was then told that i had refused entre to the house for the re ajustment,she then told me to make a appointment for them to change to meter for a key meter they would look at the old meter and we could come to some sort of arrangement ,but please tell me is this my fault? they were very quick to come and ajust the meter when the prices when up not so long ago please can anyone help?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I know this is quite a time ago but they cannot claim none calibration debt after April 2007 as they promised all meters would be set to the correct prices by this time. You say it goes back to Feb 2006. I very much doubt you built up 524 in 14 months unless you use loads of electric and your meter was set to like pre 2006 prices. find out from them your balance in April 2007 and also Feb 2006 .