• Tweets

• Thanks @lolerzthat's an extremely helpful post. There is no mention of a permit scheme in the lease and likewise, no variation was made to bring this system in. I recall seeing something like a quiet enjoyment clause, but will need to re-read it and confirm. VERY interesting point on the 1987 Act. There hasn't been an AGM in years and I've tried to get one to start to no avail. However, I'll aim to find out more about how the PPC was brought in and revert. Can I test with you and others on the logic of not parking for a few months? I'm ready to fight OPS, so if they go nuclear on me then surely it doesn't matter? I assume that I will keep getting PCNs as long as I live here, so it doesn't make sense for me to change the way that I park?  Unless... You are suggesting that having 5 or so outstanding PCNs, will negatively affect any court case e.g. through bad optics? Or are we trying to force their hand to go to court with only 2 outstanding PCNs?
    • That is so very tempting.   They are doing my annual review as we speak and I'm waiting for their response once I have it I will consider my next steps.    The debt camel website mentioned above is amzing and helping to. Education me alot    
    • Sending you a big hug. I’m sorry your going through this. The letters they send sound aweful, and the waiting game for them to stop. But these guys seem so knowledgable and these letters should stop. Hang in there, and keep in touch. Don’t feel alone 
    • In my time I've never seen a payout/commission from a PPC to a landlord/MA. Normally the installation of all the cameras/payment of warden patrols etc is free but PPCs keep 100% of the ticket revenue. Not saying it doesn't happen mind. I've done some more digging on this: Remember, what your lease doesn't say is just as important as what it does say. If your lease doesn't mention a parking scheme/employment of a PPC/Paying PCNs etc you're under no legal obligation to play along to the PPC's or the MA's "Terms and conditions". I highly doubt your lease had a variation in place to bring in this permit system. Your lease will likely have a "quiet enjoyment" clause for your demised space and the common areas and having to fight a PPC/MA just to park would breach that. Your lease has supremacy of contract, but I do agree it's worth keeping cool and not parking there (and hence getting PCNs) for a couple months just so that the PPC doesn't get blinded by greed and go nuclear on you if you have 4 or 5 PCNs outstanding. At your next AGM, bring it up that the parking controls need to be removed and mention the legal reasons why. One reason is that under S37(5b) Landlord and Tenant Act 1987,  more than 75% of leaseholders and/or the landlord would have needed to agree, and less than 10% opposed, for the variation to take place. I highly doubt a ballot even happened before the PPC was bought in so OPS even being there is unlawful, breaching the terms of your lease. In this legal sense,  the communal vote of the "directors" of the freehold company would have counted for ONE vote of however many flats there are (leases/tenants) + 1 (landlord). It's going to be interesting to see where this goes.  
    • @Whyisitthisthank you very much for asking. I am still feeling anxious, especially when someone rings the doorbell, or when I receive a letter I feel a it paranoid. I stopped going to the shops unless I really have to. I shop online now. When I see security I feel paralised. 
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Credit AGREEMENT -or- APPLICATION? RBS Advantage Card

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4232 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 650
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

hmmm. at the bottom it states...at the bottom it states, in the tiny writing ...

"regardless of wether or not my application is accepted i understand and agree that information about me may be used in accordance with paragraph 23 of the terms and conditions."

surely this is stating that it is not even agreed at this point and therefore cant be an aggreement?

hmmmm.

hello guys,

today i had 2 conversations one was with OFT expert and the other with Creation finance company secretary:)))The legal manager i used to deal with- left the company....

The expert from OFT said that there is no way application can be an agreement( i am talking about the application i had signed in store to obtain a store card...and never received an actual agreement)..She also said it has to run on 2-3 pages...

The company secretary...was convinced that their aplication is an agreement....I did point at that the copy of the application is not illegible( it's a copy of the copy..of the copy..of the copy:)))))))) and i hardly can read..Applicationform.jpg

Phone number doesn't exist anymore:)))

And the letter that came with

Norefundletterjpg.jpg

let me know what you think:))))

Kind regards,

Maria

Carphone Warehouse WON £195.00

Welcome Finance in Court. N244 accepted.

Barclaycard WON with contractual, PPI and charges for time spent and letters sent

Halifax solo, switch, Credit Classic, Halifax one Itsme Vs Halifax 2 accounts

Creation Finance Prelim received offer of £79.88.... Itsme VS Creation Finance

Vodafone overcharged Vodafon.. anything that could be done?

U know where the scales r:)))))

OK, for Soapy Joe, he's asked me to pop this on here for comments. Seems to me to be simply an application and missing some essential elements, but it IS a tad illegible, so difficult to say for sure.

It doesn't half go back a long way though. 12 years.

soapyBOS.jpg

Hi, I've just been to Asda, and I had a thought come to me over this application v agreement debate.....yes I know I must get a life ;)

My thoughts were concerning the 'Right to Cancel' an agreement. I just found this on the BBC Credit FAQs:-

Under the Consumer Credit Act 1974, certain credit agreements can be cancelled provided there were face-to-face negotiations before the agreement (the place where these took place is immaterial) and you didn't sign the agreement on the trade premises of the creditor or supplier (for example, you signed at home or in your office).

However, you don't have long to cancel because the cancellation period ends five days after you receive the second copy of the agreement, which the creditor is obliged to send you. You must cancel in writing.

OK so my thoughts are:

1. If You have 5 days to cancel after receiving the 2nd copy of the agreement.....and you are sent in response to your CCA request, a copy of your original application form (as thats all they have!). How on earth could you have exercised your right to cancel in as much as there was no 2nd copy (the agreement).

2. If as many DCAs insist that the original application form is the agreement..you were still probably denied your right to cancel. E.g. the application form I was sent by DCA was signed by me on 9th June 19XX, it was signed by OC on 21st June 19XX...so my 5 days cooling off period was swallowed up by the time it took to be accepted.

3. My application form was a 2 sided single page affair sent out in a Union magazine...you know the sort...exclusive to blah blah Union Members...so there was no 2nd copy to send out. So the 2nd copy would have to be a distinctly different document...i.e. an agreement!

Does this make sense....if not tell me to shut up...I won't mind ;)

My understanding was that the second copy should be sent to you after it is signed by the creditor and your 5 days runs from the date you receive the second copy.

If the creditor didn't send out the 2nd copy as in your example, the agreement is fatally flawed and so is unenforceable. I always ask for evidence of when the copies were sent out for that reason.

• Haha 1

Thanks Jones, you managed to understand my ramblings. I knew what I meant but was having difficulty explaining it.

So if an application form is not a no carbon required multiple copy type, and is a single page form it can't 'double' as an agreement. If it is suggested that it does double as application/agreement they have denied an applicant's right to cancel. Thats something else I can query with lovely Lowells.

Thanks again Jones for your valued response. Zim

• Haha 1

Wow Zim, I understood the earlier post but not sure if I understand this one! Have you had a look at the OFT guidelines on cancellable agreements. That's where I got my comments from. Link here in case you haven't seen it

http://www.oft.gov.uk/shared_oft/business_leaflets/consumer_credit/oft018.pdf

Page 24. Now I look at it again they have 7 days to send a copy except where executed on customer signing (then a separate notice of cancellation must be sent within 7 days)

If the document you describe is photocopied and sent, wouldn't that suffice as a second copy?

PS thanks for the click. Hope I haven't undone anything with this posting!

Hi Jones, I'm confusing myself now...I think its the 3rd glass of vino!!

The photocopy I have was sent following a CCA request from DCA, I'm currently disputing it as being an agreement, also disputing that be it application or agreement it has been folded and stapled before copying to hide a part of the PPI section.

My brain has been going into overdrive as the DCA are insistant upon its validity under the CCA 74, I suppose I'm just trying to find as many flaws as I can to keep throwing at them.

Just that when I thought of this one about cancellation rights, I thought it might be another area ripe for dissection.

Thanks for the link to OFT guidlines, I'm going to have a read.

Jones, you've been a great help. Zim

I meant a photocopy as a second copy to be sent at the time the agreement starts and it should be sent within 7 days of the creditor signing it.

I have said to a few of my creditors that I shall require evidence of the issue of the 2nd copy or the cancellation notice. If that's what you mean then I agree with you and I think you are on the right lines. Ask for the evidence of issue, after all they will need to prove to the courts they have done so if they try to enforce the alleged 'agreement' won't they?

I have my two glasses of wine head on too, so perhaps we need to look at this again tomorrow (assuming the kids allow me to use my computer!)

Dirtyharry - you have not quite interpreted the law right. The creditor should send the 2nd copy or cancellation form within 7 days (of signing I think). The debtor has 5 days FROM RECEIPT to cancel. I appreciate proving the date of receipt may be difficult if it is received more than the usual 2 days after posting allowed for by the courts but even so there is a very short time span when an agreement can be cancelled.

Dirty Harry,

I hadn't attempted to cancel the application.The copy application form I was sent is flawed in lots of obvious ways. I pointed this out to DCA who refuses to accept this and claims it is a valid agreement. I don't have a scanner so can't post it. The bit about cancellation rights came to me after I'd done a lot of reading on various threads and regulations, when I realised that if they are saying this is the agreement...my right to cancel was denied in that if you have a 5 day cooling off period from receipt of 2nd copy, and there is no second copy. The second copy would be an actual agreement, which obviously doesn't exist..seeing as they sent me a copy application.

I'm doing some hypothesising, because I'm starting to enjoy debating this with the DCA ;) Yes I know its sad, but I get such satisfaction when I sense their frustration in their replies...remembering the hell they put me through before I found CAG.

Thanks to you both.

my partner requested a cca from littlewoods back in january which they sent but having read all through this thread we think they have sent a application form would be grateful for any opinions

Scan0001.jpg

Go For It

APPLICATION FORM

no t&c

no reference to t&c

no prescribed terms

no anything !!!!

Dave

** We would not seek a battle as we are, yet as we are, we say we will not shun it. (Henry V) **

see you stand like greyhounds in the slips,

Straining upon the start. The game's afoot:

Follow your spirit; and, upon this charge

Cry 'God for Harry! England and Saint George!'

:D If you think I have helped, informed, or amused you do the clickey scaley thing !! :D

Hi there

the document Littlewoods sent you is an application

send them this letter

I refer to your letter dated (date they sent it)

I note that you have sent me a copy of the application form for this account.

However, on the (date you sent CCA) I made a written request for a copy of the executed agreement under s77/78 CCA. This letter was sent by recorded delivery and signed for at your office on (DATE SIGNED FOR).

The document that you are obliged to send me is a true copy of the executed agreement that contained all of the prescribed terms, all other required terms and statutory notices and was signed by both your company and myself. If the executed agreement contained any reference to any other document, you are also obliged to send me a copy of that document.

Please note that your company is now in default as this request was not complied with within 12 working days as prescribed by the CCA, and that you have also committed a criminal offence by exceeding the further one month statutory time limit. (AMEND AS NECESSARY)

I now require that you provide me with a copy of the correct document, or your written acknowledgement that you are unable to do so, within 14 days of receipt of this letter.

Please also note that until such time as you do provide me with a true copy of this document, the agreement remains unenforceable and no further payments will be made.

Me Vs AA/Blair Oliver - Defaulted on CCA, Committed Criminal Offence, started chasing payment

Me Vs Great Universal - Wrote off the 2k balance, couldnt supply docs

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/debt-collectors-debt-collection/74209-me-littlewoods-catalogue.html

My Friend Vs Lowell Portfolio - Balance written off, all action stopped!

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/debt-collectors-debt-collection/75075-my-friend-lowell-victory.html

My Friend Vs Empire Catalogue - Balance Cleared

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/debt-collectors-debt-collection/75713-my-friend-empire-droyds.html

Hi m55 and all

After reading your comments about s63 compliance I took another look at the whole s62/63 issue.

Under s62 (2) it states:

2) If the unexecuted agreement is sent to the debtor or hirer for his signature, a copy of it, and of any other document referred to in it, must be sent to him at the same time.

So - if a mailshot CC application (supposed agreement) is sent to someone, who then signs and returns it, shouldn't there be a copy of this application/'agreement' for him to keep - as per s62(2)??

i'e' if we accept the assertion that this document IS also an agreement, then it must be subject to s62.

This is what the OFT doc. on cancellable agreements says on the subject:

The general requirement for copy documents is that one copy of the agreement (including, if applicable, a notice of cancellation rights) must be given or sent to the customer when the original agreement is given or sent to him for signature. A first copy is not required where the agreement is neither presented personally nor sent to the customer for signature – for example, a document which is also an application form that a prospective customer picks up from a shop counter or from a leaflet dispenser.

So it seems that even the OFT thinks an application form can also be an agreement :eek:, but this implies that a first copy is only not required if the document is picked up by the customer.

Any comments?

Regards, Pam

Hi Pam

Been through this before the document referred to in the OFT gudline is an unexecuted agreement not an application for . If an agreement is signed ny the debtor it does not become executed untill it has been recieved and signed by the creditor. This is why a copy of the executed agreement hax to be sent withn seven days so the debtor can check it against the one he signed and if it differs he has the stutory cancellation period.

An application cannot be used as an agreement.

To my mind and not wishing to offend, this whole thrread is missleading for this reason, if the creditor says this is a credit agreement then that is what it is, it may not be properly executed, not have the correct form and content and not stand a hope in hell of being accepted in a court of law but that is for you to show.

If it says application form it is just that and no court in the land would except it as otherwise.

So the question is it an agreement or is it a contract can be answered simply as What does it say on the top.

Peter

Best regards

Peter

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES TO COLD CALLERS PROMISING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS

It is an application.. deffo

Hi

I posted this on the other thread and i think it has a bearing here it is from the OFT guidlines but ther is a more imn depth explination on the eximption regulations.

OTHER EXEMPTIONS

Regulated credit agreements for which there is no charge for credit and which satisfy the

conditions set out in the section on ‘exemption from the requirement to send a separate

notice of cancellation rights’ in the booklet Cancellable agreements (specialised types of

business such as catalogue mail order) are exempt from the requirements relating to the

disclosure of the APR and the inclusion of prescribed signature boxes and statements of

protection and remedies.

Office of Fair Trading 25

Regards

Peter

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS

If you botherd to look at the CCA thread Mark 1 you would find what the difference is between an application form and an agreement see Peter Bards post and he has it from a goverment minister.

HI and thanks DH

I must have posted that letter half a dozen times yet the argument keeps on going.

Oh Well

Petr

Hi

I posted this on the other thread and i think it has a bearing here it is from the OFT guidlines but ther is a more imn depth explination on the eximption regulations.

OTHER EXEMPTIONS

Regulated credit agreements for which there is no charge for credit and which satisfy the

conditions set out in the section on ‘exemption from the requirement to send a separate

notice of cancellation rights’ in the booklet Cancellable agreements (specialised types of

business such as catalogue mail order) are exempt from the requirements relating to the

disclosure of the APR and the inclusion of prescribed signature boxes and statements of

protection and remedies.

Office of Fair Trading

Regards

Peter

WRITTEN AGREEMENTS

Catalogue debts are usually regulated by the Consumer Credit Act 1974, unless the agreement requires less than 5 payments in 12 months, or where the credit you have been given has never been more than £50. The Consumer Credit Act 1974 requires a written credit agreement which must be signed by both the borrower and the lender.

INFORMATION

Although catalogue companies should give you a credit agreement under the terms of the Act this does not always happen. In this case, or if the agreement has not been signed by both parties, it is not enforceable in the county court.

HI

No section 61 signing of agreements, not signing of aplication forms.

The forms you send in from the petrol station are unexecuted agreements if they were applications then the company would have to send you an agreement back for you to sign,as confirmed by the OFT DTI now and on many occassions on the loan company thread over the last six months an appliction form Cannot be used as an agreement.

The quataion you have from the uncancellable agreement OFT pamphlet is only in there becaase this type of none distance contract is unenforceable because their has been no anticedent negotiations, and has nothing to do with using aplications.

What you are sending off is an unexecuted agreement if the creditor does not aprove it he wil not execute it by signing it section 61.

An application is an entirely differnt animal and is a request for a contract to be sent.

Best regards

Peter