Robdblynd v Abbey ***WON***

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6096 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Thanks Knellyk, I know waht you mean about those dreams, I'm having the blooming things when I'm awake as well. Lost count of the number of times I've caught myself muttering about totals and defaults and the like. If anybody hears me they'll know I've lost it.

Thanks Charleyfarley. What I need to know is how you managed to get the formula to copy across, it doesn't see to want to play ball when I try it. I get a few more rows of entries then it locks up again and I'm left scratching my head. Good job I'm in the study by myself, anyone watching would think I'd got the 'dreaded nits'.

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you using the excel spread sheet?

If you are you need to check that you have all the lines included in your formula's which from what you say I don't think you have.

I hope this is going to help you,

Go to the column you are trying to add up see what the last line number you have entered data in so for example the line number on the left is 379.

Click on the column you want to check and at the top of the page under the tool bar section you should see fx (look above the columns numbered a b c etc) then a white column it should have someting in it like =SUM(A5:A365)

If you are doing a simple sum which you want to add column A, line 5 to line 367 this needs to be in this part. so for example it may read =SUM(A5:A305) this foumula means it's a sum adding all the entry's in column A line number 5 to line number 305)

So for this example as you have 367 lines in your sheet then the formula (which is=SUM(A5:A305)) is telling me it's only adding up to line 305 in column A so you need to change the 305 to read 367 so it now looks like this =SUM(A5:A367) I have just used 367 as an example, so you will need to change your sheet to your last line.

There are other ways to do this so if you are still struggling then either pm me or post here

It may also be worth checking all your colums to make sure that you have the last line and the first line added into your formula

Hope this helps you

Hi Robd,

I have PM'ed you withthe same question, can you let me have a link to where you found the spreadsheet and which one.

Catch you soon

BB

Any advise offered is my own opinion, and if in doubt, always seek clarification.

[

Thanks for all the advice folks but I've now lost the will to live.

Finally got back to the keyboard about half an hour ago & carried on inputting.

Got it in one, at row 118 the 8% stopped, at row 151 the 'days since offence stopped' and at row 208 I get 01/02/1900 no matter what I type. After that it carried on as normal. Oh and just for good measure, there's no running total.

Mariejader,I'm thinking I might have to go through line by line and make sure the formula appears for that line, is that right.

BB, I got it from the templates library and it's very first one, the excel simple calc. As for the link, I would send one with pleasure if I knew how.

Cheers folks, and that's me screaming in the background.

Tricia. :confused: :confused: :confused:

at row 151 the 'days since offence stopped'

=DATEDIF(F188,NOW(),"D")

This is what your formual should look like, you need to check what column your date is in so in the example above the date is in column F line 188

so your forumla should be for example F151 151 being the line you are on and the "d" is the column your charge is in so change it to suit youself and then copy and past it to the rest, just check that the line number has increased

Got it in one, at row 118 the 8% stopped

=(G138*0.00022)*D138

So again you need to go to row 118 and the column that you have your 8% charge in and change it to suit your needs, so in the example it looking at column G (which in this case is the days since charge) row 138 the line we are working on multiply it by 0.00022 (8%) then multiply the column where your charge is so in the example above its column D again change it to suit youself and then copy and past it to the rest, just check that the line number has increased

at row 208 I get 01/02/1900 no matter what I type

Click In the column you are getting 01/02/1900 what do you want in there?

You now need to go to the top of the sheet you will see file, edit, view etc go along until you see format, click that and a menu will appear below it click cells and then chose what best suits your requirement, again you may need to copy and past to get the column to recognise what you are doing

Oh and just for good measure, there's no running total.

Go to the bottom of the column you want the total in and click the cell where you want to see the total, go back to the top of the page and in the tool bar some where you will see what looks like a back to front z (auto sum) click this and then you should notice a box will appear around the cells in your column you want to add up drag the box to include all the cells and you will have your running total.

Mariejader,I'm thinking I might have to go through line by line and make sure the formula appears for that line, is that right.

If you are not very confident with using excel then I would suggest that you do, it's always good to double check anyhow

Good luck, your problems are not as bad as they sounds, if you are new to excel then you are doing really good.

Any more problems just let us know.

• Haha 2

Thanks very much Maria, especially the talk through.

I'll keep you posted how I go on and have got everything crossed for you that they don't reply in time. Mind you, the lucky blighters will probably get an extension but at least you're almost there.

THANK YOU.

Tricia. :):):)

MY PLEASURE & no probs abou the birthday, when you get to my age you begin to stop counting.

And guess what???, Ye, it fouled up again and I've still no clue why.

I'm manually entering the formula every ro in F & G because no matter what it won't work those rows. :mad::mad:

Maybe I'm not meant to be a spreadsheet guru!!! :(

Oh well, off to feed mama before she starts dying of hunger.

Back soon.

Tricia.

Hi folks, update time.

Thanks Bill_K for taking the spreadsheet to manipulate, I hope it's not causing too many probs.

On the Abbey front, got a letter today which said "We've noticed that the way you run your account has changed recently and wondered if we can help". They gave a phone number and said they've be happy to run through our options etc and that if things stayed the same they might have to withdraw the overdraft. OH rang them to see what they were on about and it was all to do with the fact he'd be off work sick and the money going into the accound had dropped for three months. He told them he was back at work and things were back to normal salary wise and they said "Oh great, when your overdraft's due for renewal in June just give us a ring". This is first time since 1997 when he opened the account that we've ever had such a letter, despite the same circumstances prevailing several times i.e. deposits falling because he's off work.

He was thinking it might be because we were reclaiming but seems "they wanted to be helpful".

Oh well, there's a first time for everything.

Hope all you other claimers are having success in your battles. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Update time.

Finally got the "we're currently investigating, thank you for your patience, we need more time, will write in four weeks" letter today.

Made me smile as their 14 days after LBA are up on Monday. Gonna wait until Tuesday a.m. and then send letter asking them if they wanna settle now for charges & debit interest or I'll go for those PLUS 8% interest PLUS court costs PLUS prep time at £9.25 per hour which will add about £2.5k to the total, & give them 7 days to accept.

If they don't, it's off to CC for me with my claim form and my £250 in hand.:D

Hopefully they'll see the financial sense of saving themselves some money but I'm not holding my breath on them having that much brain cos I don't look good when I'm blue. ;)

As an aside, after telephone request for statements for personal account & no joy since 7th March, I sent them official SAR on Monday & 1st lot of statements arrived today. So now I'm gonna be doing some more bedtime reading marking up charges on that one so I can get letters off to them.

Bet they could murder the folks who started this site & made their lives hell.

As Citizen Smith used to say "Power to the People". :-D

hi all! just found this site and its like coming across an oasis in the desert! ive been frustrated for years by charges made by banks and other financial institutions. always felt instinctively that they were unjust. i have a few questions to post that i am hopeful you guys will be able to help me with. but ill leave that for a little later. right now i want to relate a little story concerning abbey (my bank). i recently missed a very small standing order because i misjudged the clearing of a cheque by one day. The bank promptly charged me £35 and withdrew it from my account. i thought this was excessive and i wrote and told them so. about two weeks later the full £35 was returned to my account! the very next day i received a letter informing me that they '...were very sorry i felt the need to complain...' etc., etc., etc., but '..after considering all the evidence...' and so on, they basically rejected my complaint and said the charge would stand! which i thought was hilarious, for about one second. then i began to think about how an institution of this size, handling billions of our pounds, could be so incompetent. worrying isnt it...

Hi Tricia,

Lost touch with you for a bit, but you seem to have everything well in hand, and you seem to be enjoying yourself to boot.

Don't think you will have much luck getting them to settle quiclky but every day longer it takes is an extra days interest, think of it as a savings plan.

NathanialMerry

Welcome aboard, take your time to read as much as you can, and then start and run your own threads, this will make any suggestuions and advice specific to your claim.

As ever best of Luck (though luck isn't needed, just patience)

Regards

BB

Any advise offered is my own opinion, and if in doubt, always seek clarification.

[

Hi BB,

Yeah, isn't it amazing how quickly fear & worry turn to fun when you know that you're on a winner and the person (or should I say "thing"?) that's been turning your life into a nightmare is gonna get their come uppance. Have you got started on your next claim yet, if you have, send me a link & I'll subscribe to see how you go? Might pick up some pointers from an 'old pro' like you lol. :-D

Hi NathanielMerry,:)

As BB says, read, read and more read. Once you've got your head round the steps to take and what they can throw at you in response to your requests it becomes a game of cat and mouse, with them thinking you're the mouse and you knowing you might be small but you've got the teeth of a sabre tooth tiger.

Have fun, stay focused and welcome to CAG. :)

Don't think you will have much luck getting them to settle quiclky but every day longer it takes is an extra days interest, think of it as a savings plan.

I have to agree, you have given them every chance to settle before court action, just think of all that interest:p

I FINALLY DID IT, filed claim at court today. :D

Handed forms over & girl on desk said "Oh, you're one of those" in a really surprised tone of voice. :eek: When she saw the size of claim she said she's going home to look through her statements.

Apparently they'll issue today and I'll get the paperwork before the weekend. I'm looking forward to seeing it with the stamp etc. :D

All way home I kept thinking "I'm taking a bank to court", it felt so strange.

The clock is ticking.

Hi Tricia,

"Handed forms over & girl on desk said "Oh, you're one of those" in a really surprised tone of voice. :shock: When she saw the size of claim she said she's going home to look through her statements. "

See how you are spreading the word, i await the next installment with baited breath.

Regards

BB

[

Thank Knelly,

I'm hoping my lot are as quick cos with Easter in the middle it just might mean Abbey don't acknowledge in time.

Send me a link to your thread and I'll subscribe so we can keep an eye on each other.

Good luck to you too, but then what has luck got to do with it, we've got right on our side.

Regards,

Tricia. :)

I know the feeling but just imagine what it'll feel like when you've got your money back.

Suppose it's time to read some more about what the next steps are, just to get them straight in my head. I have read them about four times so far but it never hurts to refresh the info.

I can't say I'm looking forward to all the hassle of printing out the court bundle but see it as a challenge to get everything so watertight they'll drown trying to get out. Unkind I know but I'm sick of being penalised by big institutions because I'm just one person.

Thank god for CAG and all the support and advice and encouragement you get on here, it makes it seems less daunting to tackle the big bods and reclaim your rights. And it must be making them think when all these 'one person' get together and become a force to be reckoned with.

Hi BB,

Always glad to make people smile. :)

And yes, I do spread the word as much as possible. In the last week I've given 9 people info about CAG and they've all come along to see what we're all about and how they can help themselves regain control of their own life.

I felt quite privileged when she referred to me as 'one of those' cos although I'm only one WE (as CAG) are a force to be reckoned with.

Next instalement in two weeks (or sooner if Abbey get their act together). lol :rolleyes:

I agree! I've read through the information loads of times but it means I've taken it in and have a better understanding by the time I need to use it!

I'm amazed at this site, it's basically a load of strangers that'll probably never meet each other, we won't even know if we pass each other in the street, but we all know the details of what each of us are going through/have been through and everyone is willing to help, support and encourage each other!

Like you said, lots of us getting together to become a force to be reckoned with!

Been thinking, the bank must feel like the dam in the fable, somebody stuck a pin in and make a whole but they thought it was pathetic and didn't get their finger in there fast enough. Any minute now they're gonna be hit by a tsunami.

Will certainly be worth the wait to see the whole financial hierarchy getting their just deserts.

On that slightly obscure note I'm going to sign out, I'm in need of sleep. Will catch you all tomorrow.

Take care. :):)

Apparently they'll issue today and I'll get the paperwork before the weekend. I'm looking forward to seeing it with the stamp etc.

Glad you have got it all sorted now, issued yesterday will be served on 5th April then, just in time for the bank holiday weekend :p well done

Well, I still haven't got any paperwork from the court but am assuming that they're snowed under with bank charges claims. I know they're doing it so I'm not too concerned.

As per every other case I've today received the usual GOGW from Abbey for approx 10percent of the charges. 4th paragraph made me chuckle, they say the charges are fair and transparent. Wonder where they're looking if they think they're being transparent? :rolleyes:

OK BB, you can breathe now, I'm just gonna send the thanks but no thanks letter. :p

Next instalment as it happens. :-D