• Tweets

• I have just read the smaller print on their signs. It says that you can pay at the end of your parking session. given that you have ten minutes grace period the 35 seconds could easily have been taken up with walking back to your car, switching on the engine and then driving out. Even in my younger days when I used to regularly exceed speed limits, I doubt I could have done that in 35 seconds even when I  had a TR5.
    • Makers of insect-based animal feed hope to be able to compete with soybeans on price.View the full article
    • Thank you for posting up the results from the sar. The PCN is not compliant with the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 Schedule 4. Under Section 9 [2][a] they are supposed to specify the parking time. the photographs show your car in motion both entering and leaving the car park thus not parking. If you have to do a Witness Statement later should they finally take you to Court you will have to continue to state that even though you stayed there for several hours in a small car park and the difference between the ANPR times and the actual parking period may only be a matter of a few minutes  nevertheless the CEL have failed to comply with the Act by failing to specify the parking period. However it looks as if your appeal revealed you were the driver the deficient PCN will not help you as the driver. I suspect that it may have been an appeal from the pub that meant that CEL offered you partly a way out  by allowing you to claim you had made an error in registering your vehicle reg. number . This enabled them to reduce the charge to £20 despite them acknowledging that you hadn't registered at all. We have not seen the signs in the car park yet so we do not what is said on them and all the signs say the same thing. It would be unusual for a pub to have  a Permit Holders Only sign which may discourage casual motorists from stopping there. But if that is the sign then as it prohibits any one who doesn't have a permit, then it cannot form a contract with motorists though it may depend on how the signs are worded.
    • Defence and Counterclaim Claim number XXX Claimant Civil Enforcement Limited Defendant XXXXXXXXXXXXX   How much of the claim do you dispute? I dispute the full amount claimed as shown on the claim form.   Do you dispute this claim because you have already paid it? No, for other reasons.   Defence 1. The Defendant is the recorded keeper of XXXXXXX  2. It is denied that the Defendant entered into a contract with the Claimant. 3. As held by the Upper Tax Tribunal in Vehicle Control Services Limited v HMRC [2012] UKUT 129 (TCC), any contract requires offer and acceptance. The Claimant was simply contracted by the landowner to provide car-park management services and is not capable of entering into a contract with the Defendant on its own account, as the car park is owned by and the terms of entry set by the landowner. Accordingly, it is denied that the Claimant has authority to bring this claim. 4. In any case it is denied that the Defendant broke the terms of a contract with the Claimant. 5. The Claimant is attempting double recovery by adding an additional sum not included in the original offer. 6. In a further abuse of the legal process the Claimant is claiming £50 legal representative's costs, even though they have no legal representative. 7. The Particulars of Claim is denied in its entirety. It is denied that the Claimant is entitled to the relief claimed or any relief at all. Signed I am the Defendant - I believe that the facts stated in this form are true XXXXXXXXXXX 01/05/2024   Defendant's date of birth XXXXXXXXXX   Address to which notices about this claim can be sent to you  
    • pop up on the bulk court website detailed on the claimform. [if it is not working return after the w/end or the next day if week time] . When you select ‘Register’, you will be taken to a screen titled ‘Sign in using Government Gateway’.  Choose ‘Create sign in details’ to register for the first time.  You will be asked to provide your name, email address, set a password and a memorable recovery word. You will be emailed your Government Gateway 12-digit User ID.  You should make a note of your memorable word, or password as these are not included in the email.<<**IMPORTANT**  then log in to the bulk court Website .  select respond to a claim and select the start AOS box. .  then using the details required from the claimform . defend all leave jurisdiction unticked  you DO NOT file a defence at this time [BUT you MUST file a defence regardless by day 33 ] click thru to the end confirm and exit the website .get a CPR 31:14 request running to the solicitors https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?486334-CPR-31.14-Request-to-use-on-receipt-of-a-PPC-(-Private-Land-Parking-Court-Claim type your name ONLY no need to sign anything .you DO NOT await the return of paperwork. you MUST file a defence regardless by day 33 from the date on the claimform.
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Banksworstnightmare Vs BARCLAYS ***WON***

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6182 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My Story

I have been ripped off by Barclays for long enough now - thanks to this website I can now begin reclaiming money I thought was long gone.

Over the past six years Barclays have charged me £1025.00 in paid referral fees.

Since looking back through my statements I have noticed the charge has steadily increased from £20.00 to £30.00 - how can they justify this?

One more thing - if these charges are justifiable, why is it that when I telephoned Barclays and complained about a £30.00 charge for going £6.50 over my limit they happily refunded the money there and then??

:-xBanksworstnightmare!:-x

Barclays - WON - £1391.89 (settled after received court date)

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Milly!:)

Action Taken So far.........

09/02/07 - Preliminary Approach for Repayment Letter

I keep all my statements so didn't have to request them from the bank. Sent the letter & schedule of charges by Courier so they couldn't deny receiving it! Address: Freepost RLTA-CSUE-TCHC, Head Office Customer Relations, London, E14 5HP. It was delivered on 12/02/07.

17/02/07 - Response from Barclays

A Mr Neil A Henderson responded with an obvious standard letter and leaflet advising they would get back to me within 8 WEEKS!

The following Letter Before Action is due to be sent by Courier on Monday 26/02/07 - I won't be using the standard LBA template, I found another one on someone else's thread (sorry forgot your name!) and adapted it. Let me know what you all think, cos it's not been sent yet!

LETTER BEFORE ACTION

Dear Mr Henderson,

Further to your correspondence dated 17th February 2007 in which you advised me that you may take up to eight weeks to answer my request for a refund of charges, I am now writing to inform you of my intent to pursue action against Barclays Bank Plc in the Small Claims Court commencing 14 days from the date of this letter.

May I draw your attention to the fact that I stated in my correspondence to you dated 9th February 2007 that I expected Barclays to enter into a sincere dialogue with me regarding this matter, rather than to simply respond by way of generic letters and leaflets. Clearly you have either failed to understand my previous correspondence or else have chosen to ignore its content. I can only assume therefore that Barclays do not intend to respond positively to my request within the time-frame or manner that I outlined in my earlier communication.

I maintain that the regime of fees which Barclays applied to this account in relation to exceeding the overdraft limit, are unlawful at Common Law, Statute and with regards recent consumer regulations. I remain confident that such charges fail the test of fairness with regards Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999, and they do not reflect a reasonable nor true estimation of the limited additional administrative costs incurred by the bank.

I have calculated that Barclays Bank have recovered a total of £1025.00 through such charges since 23rd November 2001. I am enclosing a copy of the schedule of the charges which I am claiming. I have already sent you a copy of this in my original letter of the 9th February 2007.

Action to settle this dispute

I now require that Barclays Bank Plc refund to my account the sum of £1025.00 immediately in respect of the unfair charges applied to this account.

Should Barclays Bank fail to respond positively to this request within 14 days I hereby give notice that I shall petition the Small Claims Court for the sum of £1025.00, plus interest, plus additional costs. I will file this claim after 14 days without further notification.

I trust that you will now act promptly to resolve this matter.

Again, this will go to the Head Office address FAO Neil with a copy of my schedule.

Anyway, I have done my research on this site for about a month now, so I feel pretty confident in taking the big boys on!:razz:

• 4 weeks later...

Whats been going on.....pretty standard stuff so far

26/02/07 - Sent LBA

01/03/07 - Received a full and final settlement offer of £500.00 from Genette Evans. This is less than half of what they've taken off me so....

05/03/07 - Sent Rejection of Settlement offer

12/03/07 - Received a letter from Pat Thomas advising the £500.00 was a gesture of goodwill and after careful consideration(!) will not be increasing it.

12/03/07 - LBA 14 day deadline up...couldn't file claim just yet as have been robbing Peter to pay Paul all month.

23/03/07 - PAY DAY - Claim filed using MCOL. :p Better late than never and at least the interests adding up. Hope they thought I'd given up!

I'm going to start the ball rolling claiming back mis-sold PPI shortly, another £1300 and then onto Barclaycard, they owe me a couple of hundred - I love this, it's like I've a had a savings account for the past five years and now I'm cashing it in!:D

After reading through a few threads I've now opened another account with the Halifax - as a back up, cos I won't be surprised if Barclays close my account the amount of letters I send complaining to them!

If I can though, I'll stay with Barclays cos no matter how much I despise them for being the rip off merchants they are, their unauthorised overdraft charges are tame compared to other Banks. Barclays only charge you £30 each time you go over your limit, one per day up to a maximum of 3 charges per month = £90, Halifax however charge you £30 each time you go over your limt, up to 3 times per day and it doesn't say how many times a month they'll do this! Another good thing about Barclays is that they do give you chance to bring your account back in order to avoid charges, as long as your account is within the agreed limit by close of business (18:30 I think) they don't charge you if you've gone over during that day.

A trick I do is, the day before I know money is going into my account, I'll wait till after 18:30 and withdraw money - this takes me over my agreed limit but as money is going in the next day I don't get charged. This also works if I know I can get cash deposited to my bank the next day as well!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

Filed claim with MCOL and this was deemed served on 31.03.07. They had until 14.04.07 to acknowldege the claim, and after reading many threads in this forum I assumed they would acknowledge it at the last minute on 14.04.07, however I have checked MCOL today and they have acknowledged today - is this normal for Barclays to acknowledge the claim so early? Has anyone else's claim been acknowledged 4 days after being served?? :confused:

It makes me feel a bit nervous and I'm praying (as I'm sure everyone else does) that I won't be used as a test case for court!

Any feedback on other's acknowledgements would be very welcome :)

LOL

TEST CASE!

I was sure I would be the guinea pig, the first to stand trial etc.

Nah nowt to worry about, all your hard work is done now just sit back n wait for your court date

http://www.findmadeleine.com/

http://news.sky.com/skynews/madeleine

If I dont reply to a direct question please feel free to PM me.

Cheers Dar3n!

I'm just hoping now that cos they've acknowledged early they might be planning to just settle in full instead of defending the claim by 28.04.07.

Oh well, I'll be counting down the 24 days now to see what happens!

:p

Just found this on the HMRC website - Might be useful?!

Does anyone know what it means to "contest the courts jurisdiction to deal with the matter"?

REC4202 - County court: Defendant files an Acknowledgment of Service

The court rules allow defendants to file an Acknowledgment of Service if they need more than 14 days to prepare a defence. Filing such an acknowledgment extends the time limit for filing a defence to 28 days from the deemed date of service of the claim form.

This rule is intended to be used primarily where matters are complex but the provision can sometimes be used by defendants simply as a stalling tactic to delay matters, even where there may be no intention of defending the claim. You should therefore be particularly alert in these cases and ensure that a strict B/F is applied.

The court rules also allow defendants to file an Acknowledgment of Service if they wish to contest the court's jurisdiction to deal with the matter though in practice this is rarely used.

Defence not filed

If the defendant files an Acknowledgment of Service but does not subsequently file a defence within 28 days from the deemed date of service of the claim form, you should

• request judgment in default immediately the time has expired (REC4203).

Jurisdiction dispute not filed

If the defendant does not file an application to dispute the jurisdiction of the court within 14 days of the date of filing the Acknowledgment of Service, you should

• request judgment in default immediately the time has expired (REC4203).

Another Question!

I've just been reading a thread by Helenm1984 amd it mentions that she should have sent a copy of her schedule of charges to MCOL and once the claim had been acknowledged a copy to the banks solicitors.

I haven't sent a copy to MCOL or the banks solicitors - is this necessary??

• 2 weeks later...
Hello,

Filed claim with MCOL and this was deemed served on 31.03.07. They had until 14.04.07 to acknowldege the claim, and after reading many threads in this forum I assumed they would acknowledge it at the last minute on 14.04.07, however I have checked MCOL today and they have acknowledged today - is this normal for Barclays to acknowledge the claim so early? Has anyone else's claim been acknowledged 4 days after being served?? :confused:

It makes me feel a bit nervous and I'm praying (as I'm sure everyone else does) that I won't be used as a test case for court!

Any feedback on other's acknowledgements would be very welcome :)

Barclays have until today to Acknowledge my claim which they dont appear to have done !!

If I have been of any use to you in my response please click my scales. :oops:

MBNA WON 16/3/07 £1700 :p

Barlcays N1 fileld in and awaiting funds to take them to court.

If you want to spend some of your money from your new spending saving scheme why not buy a flybook laptop. http://www.everythingflybook.com. I can highly recommend them.

Currently in Litagation with Barclays 11/5/7 ( Awaiting Court Date )

• 4 weeks later...

:D Barclays defended my claim on 26.03.07, and I have today received from the Court:

• A Notice of Transfer of Proceedings.
  • An order stating that the filing of an allocation questionnaire be dispensed with in this case unless the District Judge at the court of transfer orders otherwise.
  • Barclays defence. (I have copied this out below.) It seems pretty standard to me.

1. The particulars of Claim do not provide details or particulars of the precise charges alleged to have been unlawful, or the date thereof. To the extent it is alleged that the Claimant incurred bank charges on the Claimant's account for unauthorised borrowings (whether unpaid fees for returned charges, "Paid Referral fees" or any other such fees), the Defendant puts the Claimant to strict proof of each charge and the date thereof.
  2. The Particulars of Claim are summary in nature. Accordingly, this defence is summary in nature and the Defendant reserves the right to amend this Statement of Case in due course.
  3. The Defendant is entitled to charge the Claimant for unauthorised borrowings by reason of its standard terms and conditions. the Claimant accepted the same when the account was opened, including (in particular but without limitation) the following terms and conditions (which are summarised): a. The Defendant's right to charge a "Paid Referral Fee" where the Defendant pays an amount (either by compulsion or election) which causes the account to become overdrawn - £30 per item (previously £25). b. The Defendant's right to charge an administrative fee if any cheque, standing order or direct debit cannot be paid because of insufficient clared funds in the account - £35 pre item (previously £30). c. The Defendant's entitlement, if the Claimant becomes overdrawn without an overdraft limit, to charge interest at the unauthorised borrowing rate on the excess balance.
  4. The Defendant's standard terms and conditions give the Claimant a fair and transparent view of those terms and the charges applicable for unauthorised borrowings (including where the account is overdrawn without an overdraft limit or where the Claimant exceeds the authorised overdraft limit).
  5. If and to the extent it is the Claimant's case that the failure to make necessary payments and / or failure to remain within authorised overdraft limits and / or failure to arrange for an authorised overdraft constituted a breach of the terms applying to the account and that the contractual entitlement to debit charges from the Claimant's account constitutes a liquidated damages clause, the same is denied. The charges constitute payments the Claimant agreed to make by reason of the terms and conditions of the account and were consideration for the Defendant advancing credit to the Claimant, which the Defendant was under no obligation to advance. The Defendant was entitled to impose such charges and interest when the Claimant incurred the overdraft.
  6. Accordingly, it is denied that the legal principles relating to liquidated damages clauses and penalty charges are relevant or applicable to the facts set out above. Further or alternatively it is denied that any such charges constitute unlawful penalty charges or are in breach of the Unfair Terns in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999, or are in breach of the the Unfair (Contracts) Terms Act 1977 (or any other provision), or are unreasonable wihtin the meaning of s.15 of the Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982 (or indeed any other provision).
  7. Therefore, it is denied that the charges were unlawfully debited from the account.
  8. If and to the extent the Claimant incurred charges on the account, this was caused by the Claimant having gone into overdraft without having agreed with the Defendant an authorised overdraft facility or to increase the overdraft facility and / or the failure to make payments to bring the balance of the account back into credit.
  9. It is averred that the said charges and interest are and remain lawful and enforceable and that the Defendant was entitled to debit the same.
  10. The Defendant denies that it is liable to the Claimant for the sums claimed and interest as pleaded or at all.
  11. In the alternative, and without prejudice to matters stated above, if (which is denied) the said charges and interest or any part thereof are unlawful or unenforceable as alleged by the Claimant or at all, and the charges were a consequence of the breach of contract by the Claimant, the Defendant has nonetheless suffered loss and damage as a consequence of such breach of contract in allowing the account to go into unauthorised overdraft. Accordingly, in the event that the Defendant is unable to rely on its express entitlement to enforce the charges as set out above, it will seek to recover to the extent necessary such loss and damage as it actually suffered, which will not necessarily be limited to the value of the said charges, and the Defendant seeks to set off such sums against any liability owed hereunder to the Claimant.

As I said above, it seems standard stuff. :confused: Why can't they write these things in plain Engish! If anyone out there has any comments regarding the defence (especially anything I should be worried about!) please let me know:)

I shall now be reading up on what happens next - especially now the AQ has been dispensed with.

Thanks

Got the exact same defence word for word !!

If I have been of any use to you in my response please click my scales. :oops:

MBNA WON 16/3/07 £1700 :p

Barlcays N1 fileld in and awaiting funds to take them to court.

If you want to spend some of your money from your new spending saving scheme why not buy a flybook laptop. http://www.everythingflybook.com. I can highly recommend them.

Currently in Litagation with Barclays 11/5/7 ( Awaiting Court Date )

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I received Barclays defence on 10/05/07 and have been waiting patiently for a court date to come through the post, however I have today received a Notice of Allocation to the Small Claims Track (preliminary hearing) It states:

District Judge Lawton has considered the statements of case and allocation questionnaires filed and allocated the claim to the small claims track.

Before the claim is listed for hearing, the judge has ordered that a preliminary hearing should take place because:-

special directions are needed in this claim to prepare for the final hearing which the judge would prefer to explain to you in person.

The preliminary hearing will take place at 14:00 on the 31 May 2007.

:eek:

FYI - The AQ was dispensed with in this case.

I really was not expecting to have to go to court - even if it is just for a prelim hearing - and I'm puzzled now as to what to do next.:confused:

Do I need to attend the hearing - I have spent an hour trying to find a thread with suggestions on what to do next, but I am having no luck.:mad:

Should I contact Barclays to negotiate settlement??

Any suggestions would be really welcome.

Thanks

I have attached my usual thread below so you can read my claim to date.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/barclays-bank/68531-banksworstnightmare-barclays.html

Hi Banksworstnightmare i am not sure about the prelim hearing i am in blackpool and allocation questionaire was dispensed with i just got my date this week 20/07. If you don,t get any better advice i would ring the court asap ask whats gong on and what you will need to bring.

court bundle??

i rang barclays today and they told me they were expanding the department in an effort to settle quicker they told me to ring again a month before court date

PAT

People are being advised to contact barclays at this stage and at the moment they certainly seem in the mood for settling :)

If you can hunt down Dar£n he's got krysta's details on the bottom of his posts, she can lead you in the right direction

28/2/07

Sent request for repayment of charges totalling £2,800 (I want it ALL back!).

8/3/07

Barclays send sorry your not happy letter

14/3/07

Letter before action sent

25/4/07

Barclays offer £1,790

27/4/07

Thanks but no thanks to the offer sent

28/4/07

Filed with mcol, now looking at a figure of £3,500, they should of paid up when i asked nicely :-D

11/5/07

Barclays acknowledge claim

30/5/07

Barclays defend claim

19/6/07

Received notice of transfer to Northampton County Court and barclays excuse for a defence!!!

Ring B's litigation team tomorrow and ask to speak to the person dealing with your claim . inform them you have a court date for 31st May (Dont let on its a prelim) they will think its one they have missed and will proberbly settle

In fact here you go lol

Phoning to settle? try:

Krysta Campbell

Barclays

Litigation and Disputes

1 Churchill Place

LONDON

E14 5HP

Tel: 02071164753

Fax: 01452638359

28/2/07

Sent request for repayment of charges totalling £2,800 (I want it ALL back!).

8/3/07

Barclays send sorry your not happy letter

14/3/07

Letter before action sent

25/4/07

Barclays offer £1,790

27/4/07

Thanks but no thanks to the offer sent

28/4/07

Filed with mcol, now looking at a figure of £3,500, they should of paid up when i asked nicely :-D

11/5/07

Barclays acknowledge claim

30/5/07

Barclays defend claim

19/6/07

Received notice of transfer to Northampton County Court and barclays excuse for a defence!!!