• Tweets

• I dont want to, i just wanted to relate with this person. The council just wants to rip off people
    • I paid for the furniture with a visa debit card so not sure if this is the same consumer rights as a credit card? The furniture is without a doubt unfit for purpose because of the reclining mechanism not working correctly. I suspect that I may be offered either a repair, a replacement or a credit note (that's if they accept that there are problems with the furniture). Do I have to accept a credit note or can I insist that I want a full refund?
    • Hi @Dislao As advice for everyone is different and tailored to your situation, please make your own thread and describe your issue.
    • Ok so they have given you the contract of you and packlink. your enforcing the rights of the contract between evri and packlink.... so I don't really think this contract makes a smudge of difference. unless ive missed something @BankFodder   Also on the bit that says "Evri also cite Clause 23 of the pre-exiting commercial agreement between the Defendant and Packlink,"   such agreement hasnt been provided so can't be considered. judges arent goign to consider a term that the defendant has just said exists. thats not how it works.    
    • I think Stockford Anderson are the land owners there. You could ring their London number 020 3443 8500 to confirm. if so the CEO paul Anderson and his son Aaron are about to climb Mount Everest to raise money for Dementia UK. There have been a number of fatalities on the mountain recently though the CEO of Iceland did complete the UK Dementia challenge last week. However the winds over Everest are going to increase in the next few days so anyone not on the way up at the moment are likely to be prevented from climbing.
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

help needed ###won###

kgrant
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6193 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

the letter i recieved was rubbish anyway , it says thankyou for your recent complaint, it wasnt a complaint it was a request, why would they want to thank anyone for complaining what a stupid thing to put on a letter. :D i am still on hold and getting annoyed now my deadline is up on tuesday and then i go to court i only rang to see if they had recived my lba as it is not showing up on the royal mail website . ohh im through lets have a laugh!

The most thatv they have is 40 days-this 8 week scenario seems to be creeping in more and more but as Michael says stick to your timeframe not theirs.

If all else fails mention the Ombudsman to them-that might focus their attention.

PPMAN159

If this comment has helped please click on the scales.

right just spoken to someone else she has said regardless of what deadlines we give them they are working on them as quickley as they can and they are today working on claims that are 8 weeks old , they cant do them any quicker and my 8 week deadline would be the 17th may, now im quite prepared to go to court but wont that take just as long

I have found it much easier to put everything in writing, and only phone if you want to check the letter has arrived. That way they can't try and talk you out of claiming or try and blind you with 'facts' or wind you up so they can say they don't want to talk to you any more. Why else do they have the hold option :-)

I am sure the person on the other end has been told to try and stop as many people from carrying on as possible.

Catherine

I have been sent a sheet of charges but not a full list of transactions as requested. I rang them today and after 3 attemps finally got through to someone who seemed to be trying to be helpful. She told me they are sending out lists now instead of statements because it is faster and also because they are doing them free now!!!!! I told her that I had paid £10 and wanted what I had requested, she said she will print off a full set of statements today and post them straight out to me. She also told me that they hold statements from the opening date of the accounts so thats what I am getting and may try to claim from day one.

right i sent my LBA on the 30th march so my two week deadline is nearly up and i havent heard anything and also had no joy on the phone today.

so its off to court i think.This is where i am stuck in the bank templates do you copy the forms like you do for the other letters or do you get them else where (might sound a bit thick but i want to get it right) i also think im going to do the N1 version as i dont think ill have to pay the court fees due to our financial situation( income and benefits) and i would imagine they would need to see proof of this at the courts so MCOL would be easier but i wont be able to do this.

advice please:confused:

I sent mine on the 29th , don't forget the bank hols as this morning postie brought a letter from halifax offering partial payment as goodwill, rang the number said thanks but no thanks and appreciated the offer but wanted full amount , she upped the offer immediately, i again said no thanks that i wanted full amount especially as charges taken from account when the money in it was child benefit, she offered full amount without quibble and said letter on way and amount would be in bank within 14 days, hope you get the response you want. good luck

This is what i dont get, some people are sending LBA 's off and getting a response within a week of the halifax recieving them yet yesterday when i spoke to the halifax the woman said they were dealing with claims at present that were 8 weeks old and that mine probably wouldnt be acknowledged till the middle of May, and another thing all this 8 week rubbish they say they have to investigate your complaint , i didnt complain in the first place i asked for my money back, the best bit about the letter was the opening sentance "Dear Mrs ???? "THANKYOU for your complaint. " fancy thanking someone for complaining:D

I know it's weird , they took ages to send me copy of charges and statements and i got the 8 week response aswell as they said they had been inundated with request for repayments, my letter was also a standard thank you for your complaint lol I'm sure they'll get back to you soon, fingers crossed.

our first morgage was with the halifax but we remorgaged 4 years ago, we got into difficulty with the halifax one a couple of times and were charged would we be able to claim these charges back, also we had a joint current account with the halifax which ended up being closed would we be able to get the charges back on that one aswell. im in a mood and want revenge:D i have just been having a go at some pratt at the halifax regarding another matter and have seen my backside with them i want revenge!

I have read somewhere that someone managed to claim back penalty charges on their mortgage account. About your closed account - yes you can claim on a closed account.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]If you think my post was helpful, please feel free to click my scales

A prudent question is one-half of wisdom.

:D

mortgages are a bit more difficult at the mo have a look around in the section dealing with them before you go for them, as for your joint account, go for it:D

OK I GIVE IN

Halifax £3600 charges, won with C/I £6400

NatWest S.A.R-05/06/06

Bug**r all recieved 03/11/06

Prelim guesimate sent for £3000 03/11/06

Cr*p one CONNED statements 08/06 ROFLMAO

Cr*p one charges=£976

con int 34.9% £1,003.75 £1,979.75.

I have found a template letter for you. But first please read up on mortgages before you go ahead as I am not sure what actually happens.

ACCOUNT NUMBER: XXXX

Request for repayment of charges

Dear XXXX,

Our request

We are writing to ask you to refund the charges which you have levied from our account in respect of late payment fees to the sum of £XXX , the sum of £XXX representing the contractual rate of interest applied by yourselves in respect of the said charges (Please find enclosed schedule of charges detailing dates, amounts and interest) and. We now understand that such fees are unlawful at Common Law, Statute and recent consumer Regulations.

In the case of Castaneda and Others v. Clydebank Engineering and Shipbuilding Co., Ltd. (1904) 12 SLT 498 the House of Lords held that a contractual party can only recover damages for actual or liquidated losses incurred from a breach of contract as oppose to a charge which represents a penalty. This law was confirmed and upheld in Dunlop Pneumatic Tyre Co Ltd v New Garage and Motor Co Ltd [1915] AC 79. A charge will be held to be a penalty if the sum stipulated for is extravagant and unconscionable in amount in comparison to the greatest loss that could conceivably be proved to have followed from the breach. A penalty clause is void in its entirety and unenforceable.

In addition your charges appear to represent an unfair term of contract which is contrary to the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999 (SI. 1999/2083). Our account falls within the ambit of Regulation 5 of the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999 as we are consumers. Your charges constitute an unfair penalty under Schedule 2 of the said Regulations which provide an indicative and non-exhaustive list of terms which may be regarded as unfair. Under paragraph 1(e) of schedule 2 this specifically includes terms which have the object of requiring any consumer who fails his obligation to pay a disproportionately high sum in compensation. We would vigorously contend that this is the position regarding the fee of XXXX which you deemed fit to apply to our account.

I would like to bring your attention to the following statement by The Office of Fair Trading:

"A term in a mortgage agreement which requires the borrower to pay more for breaching the contract terms than actual costs and losses caused to the lender by the breach (or a genuine pre-estimate of that) is likely to be regarded as an unfair penalty and to be unenforceable both at common law and (in a consumer mortgage) under the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations.

We believe that the charges you have levied of XXXXX far exceed any true cost to yourself as a result of our breaches and any genuine pre-estimate you could conceivably reach. If you disagree, then will you please demonstrate this by letting me have a full breakdown of the costs to which you have been put to as a result of our breaches, in order to reassure us that your charges really do reflect your costs.

We really hope that this matter can be resolved amicably and without the need for redress to the courts. Thus we are asking that you refund the chargeswhich have unlawfully been levied on our account. Failure to refund all the money unlawfully taken from us will result in us taking further action. We will give you 14 days to reply accepting, unconditionally, our request in principle and letting us know a date by which we will receive payment. If you do not respond, or you do not respond positively, within this time period, we shall send you a letter before action giving you a further 14 days in which to reflect. We believe that these targets are more than sufficient for a large company such as yours with dedicated staff and departments.

After that, there will be no further communication from us and we shall issue a claim at the expiry of the second deadline. Thus take this letter as 28 days written notice of our intention to issue a court claim should you not comply with our request. I hope that you will enter into a sincere dialogue with me about this matter and I am writing this letter to you on the assumption that you will prefer to do this than merely respond with standard letters and leaflets.

Yours faithfully,

XXXX

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]If you think my post was helpful, please feel free to click my scales

A prudent question is one-half of wisdom.

:D

i recieved a letter yesterday after sending my prelim and getting the standard 8 week to investigate letter then sent my LBA only to get a letter stating that they are sorry they havent delt with my complaint but i should here something no later than the 17th may:mad: i want to go to court but am affraid this will take longer

Hi Kgrant.

That is a standard response, designed to slow you down. Don't let them impose their timetable on you. Stick rigidly to your own timetable, regardless.

Preliminary request......14 days.

Letter before action.....14 days.

MCOL or N.1.

You're driving this bus, and you decide if it stops,when it stops, where it stops, and how long.

Good luck.

Regards, Rooster.

If this has been useful to you, please click on the scales at bottom left of post. Thanks.

Advice & opinions of Rooster-UK are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Please use your own judgment.

-------------------------------------------------------

LOOK! Free CAG Toolbar.

Follow link for more information.

------------------------------------------------------

Please donate,

Help us to help others.

LINKS....

Forum Rules.

FAQs....