Urgent Advice Needed

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6308 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I am currently renting I moved in on 12 January,

for the past 2 weeks we have had no hot water or heating and In my mind this is an unhabitable home.

Every time the plumber comes out something else on the boiler breaks and we still do not have any hot water or heating...

Do I have to pay legally have to pay rent when I can hardly live due to the landlords rubbish boiler???

I am calling the landlord in an hour please help....

09.12.2006 B&W LBA sent

22.11.2006 B&W prelim letter sent asking £5500.32

23.11.2006 TMB S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent

We got it through a letting agent, but they said we only deal with the landlord once we got it. Is that private i have never rented before....

09.12.2006 B&W LBA sent

Alison -

A home with no hot water or heating is classed as uninhabitable. Even though you have a private landlord, you can go to your local Housing Officer at the Council. They will assess your situation and can force your landlord to rectify the problems if he's being difficult - especally the heating at this time of year, in this cold snap (I mean, snow, people!). Keep a log of what's been done already (you said someone had been out to fix and it hadn't worked?) and try and keep communication with your landlord in writing, for any proof that you may need at a later date. There is a similar thread here that might be worth a read through.

As to rent, you may be able to keep a portion of it back for the time that you were without hot water and heating - however, think very carefully about this because it may lead to a proper dispute between you and your LL (funny how they only seem to perk up when there's money involved, eh?). Speak to the Housing Officer, or to Shelter and ARLA, to get some advice on this before considering it.

Get back to us with any developments and we'll go from there. :)

-----

Click the scales if I've been useful! :)

I have lodged a complaint, with the enviromental officer(housing dont deal with it apparently!) They will get back to me in due course

09.12.2006 B&W LBA sent

Ive now left several messages for my landlord today and he still has not got back to me. I have the earliest appoint ment i could get with CAB on the 19th

Other than that there doesnt appear to be any more I can do.

Thank you everyone for your help

09.12.2006 B&W LBA sent

If its a gas boiler also check that you have a gas safety certificate issued by a corgi registered proffesional. I would write to the landlord and give him 7 days to sort the problem if after that time he hasn't, obtain 3 quotes for the work and have the cheapest do it. After this withold that money from your rent - make sure you put this in your letter to your landlord so he is warned of about you taking this path.