• Tweets

• Thanks for that. I will give them till Tuesday. Thanks for your help, very much appreciated. 
    • Ok thanks for that, well spotted and all duly noted. Yes they did eventually submit those docs to me after a second letter advising them I was contacting the ICO to make a formal complaint for failing to comply with an earlier SAR that they brushed off as an "administrative error" or something. When I sent the letter telling them I was in contact with the information commissioner to lodge the complaint, the original PCN etc quickly followed along with their excuse!
    • its not about the migrants .. Barrister Helena Kennedy warns that the Conservatives will use their victory over Rwanda to dismantle the law that protects our human rights here in the UK.   Angela Rayner made fun of Rishi Sunak’s height in a fiery exchange at Prime Minister’s Questions, which prompted Joe Murphy to ask: just how low will Labour go? .. well .. not as low as sunak 
    • From #38 where you wrote the following, all in the 3rd person so we don't know which party is you. When you sy it was your family home, was that before or after? " A FH split to create 2 Leasehold adjoining houses (terrace) FH remains under original ownership and 1 Leasehold house sold on 100y+ lease. . Freeholder resides in the other Leasehold house. The property was originally resided in as one house by Freeholder"
    • The property was our family home.  A fixed low rate btl/ development loan was given (last century!). It was derelict. Did it up/ was rented out for a while.  Then moved in/out over the years (mostly around school)  It was a mix of rental and family home. The ad-hoc rents covered the loan amply.  Nowadays  banks don't allow such a mix.  (I have written this before.) Problems started when the lease was extended and needed to re-mortgage to cover the expense.  Wanted another btl.  Got a tenant in situ. Was located elsewhere (work). A broker found a btl lender, they reneged.  Broker didn't find another btl loan.  The tenant was paying enough to cover the proposed annual btl mortgage in 4 months. The broker gave up trying to find another.  I ended up on a bridge and this disastrous path.  (I have raised previous issues about the broker) Not sure what you mean by 'split'.  The property was always leasehold with a separate freeholder  The freeholder eventually sold the fh to another entity by private agreement (the trust) but it's always been separate.  That's quite normal.  One can't merge titles - unless lease runs out/ is forfeited and new one is not created/ granted. The bridge lender had a special condition in loan offer - their own lawyer had to check title first.  Check that lease wasn't onerous and there was nothing that would affect good saleability.  The lawyer (that got sacked for dishonesty) signed off the loan on the basis the lease and title was good and clean.  The same law firm then tried to complain the lease clauses were onerous and the lease too short, even though the loan was to cover a 90y lease extension!! 
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

sn00psmum (&dad) v RBS

sn00psmum
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6133 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Surely then Glenn (following on from your line of thought) for the sake of two letters, the best thing to do would be to send a letter of dispute to both M/Croft and RBS?

Assuming the deadline Snoopsmum mentions above (yesterday if my maths is still ok!) is stuck to she is already on borrowed time.

What do you think?

If my post has been useful, tip my scales and let me know

Always start with the User guide!

Stuck with RBS charges? Click here!!

RBS CA1 £2794 SETTLED!!! RBS CA2 £503 SETTLED!!! HBOS CC £498 SETTLED!!! Barclaycard £705 (with CCI) ONGOING!!! NATWEST CA ONGOING!!! LLOYDS CA x 2, CC, LOAN ONGOING!!! HFC LOAN ONGOING!!!

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And looking a beyond this issue SM, in relation to your gripe regarding spiralling postage costs. Keep a note of every letter you read (from them) write and send for future reference. I think it was one of Glenn's cases funnily enough I read ages ago where he successfully claimed for costs including reading, writing and sending letters.

Which one was it........was it Co-op Glenn?? EDIT: No it was Barclaycard.

Worth investigating IMO. Kept a note of it somewhere, see if I can find out which one it was in my ever-growing subscription list :D

RBS CA1 £2794 SETTLED!!! RBS CA2 £503 SETTLED!!! HBOS CC £498 SETTLED!!! Barclaycard £705 (with CCI) ONGOING!!! NATWEST CA ONGOING!!! LLOYDS CA x 2, CC, LOAN ONGOING!!! HFC LOAN ONGOING!!!

Thanks you guys, I thought that's how it was and was fairly confident of it until the M/croft phonecall. TBH I wasn't expecting an argument when I phoned them, I thought he would realise the implications of the a/c being in dispute and say there had been crossed post or something. Maybe it's just a case of RBS having so much paperwork at the mo that they've not got to it yet but given the timescale involved, grr!

You're right also, about the letters- I will write to both in the morning, for the sake of a few quid- i'll do something like Glenn's wording above and throw in the line from the harrassment/dispute template about the OFT code of guidance, which this action is clearly in breach of.

And looking a beyond this issue SM, in relation to your gripe regarding spiralling postage costs. Keep a note of every letter you read (from them) write and send for future reference. I think it was one of Glenn's cases funnily enough I read ages ago where he successfully claimed for costs including reading, writing and sending letters.

Which one was it........was it Co-op Glenn?? EDIT: No it was Barclaycard.

Worth investigating IMO. Kept a note of it somewhere, see if I can find out which one it was in my ever-growing subscription list :D

Thanks for this T4FF, i'll have a look at this thread later (i'm probs already subscribed, lost track, as yours the list grows daily!) I thought you could only claim costs once it reached court tho?

As always, thanks for help- it's much appreciated!

SM:p

Paying interest on a loan caused by penalty charges? Read this!!

Very useful A-Z here:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/site-questions-suggestions/53182-cant-find-what-youre.html?highlight=can%27t+find+what+you%27re+looking+for%3F

New strategy for Scots claims here:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/scotland/71013-urgent-attention-please-read.html

Scottish procedure:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/royal-bank-scotland/42620-scottish-procedure.html

I am a layperson not a legal expert, my advice is offered without prejudice or liability, it is purely my opinion based on personal experience and should be treated as such. If in any doubt seek the advice of a qualified professional.

Well I did say beyond :D

Ok not beyond the issue, but way beyond. I am assuming you will get to court. Can't see why they are going to settle in advance of this given the sums.

True, principle sum now over £9k & CI brings it to over £17.5k :o :o

Very useful A-Z here:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/site-questions-suggestions/53182-cant-find-what-youre.html?highlight=can%27t+find+what+you%27re+looking+for%3F

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/scotland/71013-urgent-attention-please-read.html

Scottish procedure:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/royal-bank-scotland/42620-scottish-procedure.html

I am a layperson not a legal expert, my advice is offered without prejudice or liability, it is purely my opinion based on personal experience and should be treated as such. If in any doubt seek the advice of a qualified professional.

T4FF

I don't have a problem SM sending the letters to both, however, I think its important to understand that the debt as i understand it belongs to the bank. Moorcroft don't have any interest or in fact any control over the issues, they are being wagged by the bank.

The point is that you should write to the bank and CC Moorcroft in on it, this establishes the priority in everyones mind and makes it clear to Moorcroft that they are only acting for the bank.

SM re the content of the letter, please keep the letter simple, I really would just use this to confirm the dispute.

There is plenty of time to write about harassment, this letter needs to be very specific so there is no doubt in anyones mind what the purpose of this letter is.

That way down the line they cannot say there was any confusion.

Re costs, you can claim them if they will pay them, I have managed so far to claim costs for two of my four claims and am in the process of doing the third costs schedule.

The way it works is that if the claim hasn't been allocated then you can ask for costs on the basis it might have been allocated to fast track or above.

If its allocated to fast track or above then you are entitled to claim costs when you win.

If it hasn't got to court you can ask for costs and then of course its a matter of how good at haggling you are as to what you get.

JMHO

Glenn

Kick the shAbbey Habit

Where were you? Next time please

Abbey 1st claim -Charges repaid, default removed, interest paid (8% apr) costs paid, Abbey peed off; priceless

Abbey 2nd claim, two Accs - claim issued 30-03-07

Barclaycard - Settled cheque received

Egg 2 accounts ID sent 29/07

Co-op Claim issued 30-03-07

GE Capital (Store Cards) ICO says theyve been naughty

MBNA - Settled in Full

GE Capital (1st National) Settled

Lombard Bank - SAR sent 16.02.07

MBNA are not your friends, they will settle but you need to make sure its on your terms -read here

Glenn Vs MBNA

See your point, and do agree.

Was just thinking it important to not rely on RBS to let MC know if SM doesn't want them knocking her door down lol. CCing MC into the letter to RBS makes sense.

LOL, could do with a new front door!

Very useful A-Z here:

Scottish procedure:

T4FF

The way it works is that if the claim hasn't been allocated then you can ask for costs on the basis it might have been allocated to fast track or above.

If its allocated to fast track or above then you are entitled to claim costs when you win.

Glenn

May I just take this opportunity to remind all who are advising on this case that this is a Scottish claim and the fast track doesnt exist up here. We are limited to £750 for a small claim, £1500 for a summary cause and / or a mixture of these running one after the other. The only way to do it in one lot for 17.5K would be an Ordinary Action, unless she is prepared to lodge many summary cause actions one after the other, all claiming for contractual. A woman in Stirling just lost a few weeks ago because a lawyer for Clydesdale bank argued successfully that the woman's successive claims (it was her third) were an abuse of process. It was thrown out for incompetence (and she wasnt even claiming CI). An Ordinary Action is advisable here if there is insistence on claiming this amount. Thas simply the law here in Scotland. It's VERY different limit amounts in England, where for example, the fast track exists.

I just wanted to mention this, so that sn00psmum doesnt get confused with the court processes available to her as she is resident in Scotland.

Incidentally, I hope all is going well with your claims Sn00psmum.

Kind regards,

Chrissie (and no, i didnt follow you here :), Ive been registered on here for a long while, just in case you think I'm following you)

Chrissie

Good point, I didn't realize it was a Scots claim or would have kept my mouth shut as i have very little knowledge of courts claims generally and even less when they occur in the Scottish courts.

Kick the shAbbey Habit

Where were you? Next time please

Abbey 1st claim -Charges repaid, default removed, interest paid (8% apr) costs paid, Abbey peed off; priceless

Abbey 2nd claim, two Accs - claim issued 30-03-07

Barclaycard - Settled cheque received

Egg 2 accounts ID sent 29/07

Co-op Claim issued 30-03-07

GE Capital (Store Cards) ICO says theyve been naughty

MBNA - Settled in Full

GE Capital (1st National) Settled

Lombard Bank - SAR sent 16.02.07

MBNA are not your friends, they will settle but you need to make sure its on your terms -read here

Glenn Vs MBNA

No problem Glenn,you have a superb heart to be helping in any case. I wouldnt normally have commented but am very concerned for the safety of this particular claim and my conscience wouldnt allow me to zip it. Its quite amazing the differences that exist between Scottish and English Law. I'll butt out now, just wanted to bring the Scottish element back to the attention of those advising on this thread.

Kind regards,

Chrissie. (I am from another site, but at the end of the day, we're all aiming for the same thing and safe claims, so I didnt think anyone would mind.)

Incidentally, I hope all is going well with your claims Sn00psmum.

Thanks Chrissie, nice of you to pop by and post:) I can no longer update my other thread as it's been closed and I am banned from the site!! (a little extreme?) How are yours going BTW?

I have mentioned a few times in this thread that i'm in Scotland, I thought everyone knew, sorry if i've not been clear, the reason I didn't post in the Scottish section here is I thought I would get more exposure in the RBS section, mods, if i'm in the wrong place then please feel free to move me along!

Very useful A-Z here:

Scottish procedure:

I must confess, I forgot about this as a result of all the other issues that have been going on. You did make it clear early on in this thread but in defence of Glenn etc, they have waded in at a later date and have addressed the issue with your calculations.

Glenn, is there a scottish you around? :D

• Haha 1

HI sn00ps,

Thanks, my claims are all nearly finished and have been successful.

The decision to ban was one made by Admin based on concerns that the details of the claim may have misled others. Also, we Mods were getting very stressed with the case - its not easy for us to accept defeat or to switch off when the pc turns off. It was a defeat in the sense that we do not feel our advice was properly understood and we exhausted all ou avenues to be able to assist you. It was nothing personal. :)

I know you have mentioned you're claiming in Scotland earlier in the thread, but what tends to happen after a thread becomes very long, especially if not in the appropriately named section, is that folk will read back only a few posts and offer their advice based on it. Normally this would be ok, but in your case, this claim is very complex ad unusual in that it has many components.

Obviously, with the amount that you are claiming, it is absolutely vital that the fact it is a Scottish claim does not stray far from anyone's thoughts when they advise. The processes are very,very different and I would suggest that anytime someone makes a reference to you regarding English legal system, that you bear his in mind, for the sake of the safety of your claim.

With absolutely NO disrespect intended towards our fellow CAG friends, there is a focus on English Law here and if you have your claim thread located in this section, you will probably find that the advice you are given, no matter how good, is given on the assumption that you're claiming through the English system.

Naturally, Mods and members alike tend to specialise in the law applicable to their own country. I am no exception. Whilst I am aware of the differences of the English way of claiming, I have not used the system myself. My speciality is the Scottish system, hence the reason the other Scottish staff on our site were very scathing about your approach to your claim. We knew this case was a potential disaster.

I must confess I still feel exactly the same way, but it is your claim, not mine or anyone else's and I wouldn't dare presume to know best.

What I do know, and would continue to remind you is that the odds are not in your favour at all within the Scottish system, rightly or wrongly.

As you are already aware of this, I will not continue to bother you with the reasons why. However I would say that from reading this thread, I believe things to be even more complicated than even we were aware of at the start. I now believe it may be in your interests to seek professional legal advice on this claim, even if only for one consultation, in order to clarify the legal stance in this matter as it has a multitude af facets not typical of an "average" claim. In fact, your case isn't typical of a complex claim either.

I have no interest in causing you distress or being a party pooper generally, but on a personal level, from one lady to another (I have 3 kids and wouldn't want to lose everything either), the emotional impact the stress of these claims has had on you, has interfered with your ability to see what may lie ahead of you, and I am quite worried for you, and its not even my own money! LOL

Whatever happens, as I have stated before, I wish you well, and contrary to what you may think are the motives of the other Scottish Mods on our site, we all wanted to think you could win. Its just unfortunate that given the details, none of us believe it can actually happen under Scottish Law.

I hope in time we will be proved wrong, as it's clear your path is now decided. I also hope the advice and encouragement you are receiving from this site will help you to win. Just make sure they are talking about the Scottish route, as the differences cannot and must not be underestimated.

With very best wishes,

Chrissie.

• Haha 1

Snoop, taking some of Chrissie's post on board........might I suggest you get the title amended to read snoopsmum vs RBS *SCOTTISH CLAIM* or something similar so there's no mistaking?

I'm no expert here and don't claim to be, so my suggestions are always open to correction from the wiser people here, but is there any way snoopsmum could (personal restrictions aside for a minute) claim in an english court??

Snoop, taking some of Chrissie's post on board........might I suggest you get the title amended to read snoopsmum vs RBS *SCOTTISH CLAIM* or something similar so there's no mistaking?

Good point T4FF, will do!

I'm no expert here and don't claim to be, so my suggestions are always open to correction from the wiser people here, but is there any way snoopsmum could (personal restrictions aside for a minute) claim in an english court??

Having read this thread: http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/royal-bank-scotland/73071-rbs-aberdeenshire-combine-oc.html and having taken note of Chrissie's comment about the lady losing due to 'abuse of process':o

I am considering going down the FOS route, any thoughts?

Very useful A-Z here:

Scottish procedure:

i think that is a good idea add in about interest, only thing is it is up to the person handling the claim for FOS whether you get it or not. ;) good luck

also please try and get a FREE consultation at a solicitors just to see if you have a case, legal aid may be available to you.........you never know but worth a try. ;) poltmcm

i can see complex jurisdiction issues with claiming against RBOS in England, mostly due to the fact you signed the contract in Scotland and reside in Scotland. so unless the consumer actually lived in England or their registered address was in England then it is a no go.

Understand, just lookin at options.

Chrissie, stop stressing :rolleyes: you are not butting in, your input to this thread is very welcome as is everyone else's! I really appreciate the advice i'm being given here and I AM listening to reason, believe it or not:D

Poltmcm, I am seriously considering consulting with a solicitor and appreciate that I may have no alternative, but a few of the points that Chrissie raised about the lower limits & greater risks have been niggling me for a while now. At the risk of sounding like a spoilt brat, it's not fair!!:mad:

I think i'll give the FOS a go first and see what happens.

Just a thought, if my attempt with the FOS fails or for any reason I don't get the result I hoped for, then that's it, isn't it? Game over?

Here's another wee gem i'll throw in and see what reaction it gets- I also wish to claim interest on Provident loans, thread here: http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/royal-bank-scotland/74154-interest-loan.html (i hear you groan:roll:) taken out to cover what money we would have had if it hadn't been for bank charges. Should I do a separate claim or do it altogether, bearing in mind it will probably go through FOS or OC?

There is an interesting thread on this in my sig, my one (above) has no replies

Very useful A-Z here:

Scottish procedure:

It's an interesting point and one I would consider but I guess the only issue is biting off more than you can chew?

There is certainly an argument for this, but given you are claiming for CI which as you should already know by now is not a proven argument and it would seem is possibly a lot down to which judge you end up with, it might be detrimental to your claim - possibly could be seen as "pushing your luck"? I'm not sure.....

Incidentally, I'm involved with a post here, can't remember if I've seen your name in there (couldn't be bothered checking :D).

Incidentally, I'm involved with a post here, can't remember if I've seen your name in there (couldn't be bothered checking :D).

T4FF, you have indeed seen my name here, this is the thread in my sig, I was directed to it by Photoman as it discusses issues similar to the interest one above.

Very useful A-Z here:

Scottish procedure:

UNBELIEVABLE!!!!!

On 23rd March I sent the following letter to RBS and cc to M/croft:

For the avoidance of doubt we wish to confirm formally that the balance on this account is in dispute, it has been in dispute since 23rd January 2007 and will continue to remain so until written notice from ourselves to the contrary.

We trust that this clarifies our position.

Signed for by RBS on 28th (5 days to get delivered??) and signed for by M/croft on 26th March. Today another letter has arrived from M/croft dated 28th March demanding full payment or agreeing to pay £120/mth!!

I'm hoping this is a simple case of crossed post but if it isn't, do M/croft think they are a law unto themselves??

I have also received from RBS a standard response to my new prelim (sent 20th March), meaning that RBS have now acknowledged that the a/c is in dispute and are therefore aware that they are still breaching OFT code of guidance by instructing M/croft to act in this manner over a disputed debt.:o :-| :confused::mad::-x

Oh well, i'm not worried as I know i've done everything I need to do to let them know our position, I just thought i'd post as it's yet another example of the tactics the banks are prepared to use to try and scare people off!! More ammo for the FOS/ Sherriff.

Very useful A-Z here:

Scottish procedure:

Hi Snoopsmum.

Just an update on my claim. As you know, I am claiming CI too. However, having written to RBS and told them that my next step would be the FOS, I am now told that an offer will soon be on its way.

As far as I'm aware, it is VERY unlikely that the FOS would back up my claim for CI in any case. So, unless the offer is totally ridiculous, I will probably accept. If it isn't acceptable, and they don't raise it, I will take it to the FOS. If the RBS match the FOS's recommendations, I'll also take it. But if no joy with the FOS's intervention, then off to court I go. But as you know, I have a solicitor on board to try to get the best deal.

I'm now under no illusions that the CI is likely, but if it goes all the way, then that's what I will be aiming for. BUT. I've still to see their offer.

I know it feels like a kick in the teeth that they can charge us nearly 30% interest, and we have to fight for it with no guarantee of a win. But for me, I need to be realistic. 30 grand as a figure is somewhat blinding, but I can just about see past that to realise that even just getting my charges back is a lot more than I could have hoped for a few short months ago.

So. Possibly no nice shiny car and a holiday in the sun coming my way. But at least it will get me fairly straight again, which is a BIG bonus, believe me. :D