Shoplifting - not nice subject but...

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6557 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

:oWas in Woolworths today and my mate who works there was having a bad day. A customer had come in a couple of days ago and bought a load of items for her children. One item, a skipping rope, was too short and she decided to bring it back in to get another one. Unbelievably, it was not listed on her receipt!!! :o

Looks like the sales assistant was going a bit too fast for the till to keep up and missed this item.

Spoke to assistant and the reply was " that if she had left the store the other day and had her bag searched by their store detective - she could have been done for shoplifting ":eek: :shock: :o - even though it was the shop assistant's fault!!!

Luckily for the customer, they changed it!

Dont ever suspect you have paid for all your items without checking the receipt first (lovely to get a freebie now and then) but the ending does not sound very nice - getting a record for shoplifting which you did not even do!!!! It does happen

Halifax - Since 2003 £1,186 DPA Request: 24.03.06

PRL - sent Recorded 05.04.06

Letter received 07.04.06 - Thanks but No thanks

LBA - 20.04.06 Refused Money Claim filed 08.05.06

Served 14.05 Acknowledged 16.05.06 - 28 days to go

:D WON - PAID IN FULL 25.05.06

Lloyds [/i]- Since 2000 £780.31 - DPA Request: 23.03.06

PRL - sent recorded 10.04.2006

Letter Rec'd 13.04 - Not interested

LBA - 13.04.06 Money Claim filed 25.04.06

Served 01.05.06 & Acknowledged 03.05.06. - 28 days to go

Defence received 25.05 - Here we go

Not too much chance of this happening I feel.

Definition of theft as per Theft Act 1968:

"A person is guilty of theft if they dishonestly appropriate property belonging to another with the intention to permanently deprive them of it."

The shop would have to prove dishonesty. The Act doesn't say what "dishonest" is, but does give defences and examples of where honesty can be mistaken for something else.

ps This definition of theft is why the term Taking Without Owners Consent (TWOC) had to be invented. The original joyriders (circa 1960s) used to nick a car if they missed the last bus home. No intention to permanently deprive them of it, hence not theft.

Guest Lueeze

I used to be a manager in a shop, and you have to actually watch them take it and walk out without paying, its near impossible for an innocent person to get accused of this, even if they did, it would never stand up, and the Police would laugh about it after!

If they were searched on the way out, and this situation had arisen, it is likely that the security camera would prove the customer's innocence. Sad as it is, the security cameras are there to prevent theft by staff as much as theft by the non-paying public...:(

Sorry - I didn't finish - the 'staff' cameras tend to focus on the tills, and it is inconceivable that the 'unpaid for item' would not be recorded going into the bag...

Alecto, Magaera et Tisiphone: Nemesis on Earth is come.

All advice and opinions given by Spiceskull are personal, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Hiding a skipping rope in their pants?????? :D

If the name of the claim is blue and underlined, click it to see how I did it.

• Halifax - 1st Request for £3748.80 sent 10/06 Settled in full and 5% donated

• Goldfish - Unable to comment further, have a read

• Lloyds - Data Protection Act sent 19/04 1st estimated request for £1500 sent15/08 LBA sent 08/09

• Carphone Warehouse - Data Protection Act sent 19/04 Chased 04/07 ICO complaint 18/07

• First National - 1st Request for £280 sent 05/05 Settled in full and 5% donated

• Yes car credit - LBA sent 19/07 Court Action launched 26/09

• HFC Bank - 1st Request for £100 sent 06/06 Settled in full and 5% donated

Like what I said? Hit the scales on the top right of my post. Cheers

Disclaimer - By giving advice, I am not putting myself across as a legal expert. Always seek professional advice.

Help the site, donate 5%, I have.

The only person who can search you is a Police Constable; unless you give your consent to another.

You do not have to let a security guard search you. If they want to arrest you thats their business, - but I can bet you most are not up to scratch on the new SOCPA powers in relation to arrests.

FP

• 12 years later...

This topic was closed on 10 March 2019.

If you have a problem which is similar to the issues raised in this topic, then please start a new thread and you will get help and support there.

If you would like to post up some information which is relevant to this particular topic then please flag the issue up to the site team and the thread will be reopened.

- Consumer Action Group

Halifax - Since 2003 £1,186 DPA Request: 24.03.06

PRL - sent Recorded 05.04.06

Letter received 07.04.06 - Thanks but No thanks

LBA - 20.04.06 Refused Money Claim filed 08.05.06

Served 14.05 Acknowledged 16.05.06 - 28 days to go

:D WON - PAID IN FULL 25.05.06

Lloyds [/i]- Since 2000 £780.31 - DPA Request: 23.03.06

PRL - sent recorded 10.04.2006

Letter Rec'd 13.04 - Not interested

LBA - 13.04.06 Money Claim filed 25.04.06

Served 01.05.06 & Acknowledged 03.05.06. - 28 days to go

Defence received 25.05 - Here we go

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6557 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks