Scs

Robbda
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4098 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I ordered a sofa at xmas and was told at least 8 weeks delivers (15th Feb).

I received a answerphone message last wednesday saying it had arrived (11 days early).

Normally this wouldn't be a problem, except my grandfather has been taken ill and I am flying out there to be with my nan while he is in hospital as she is on my own.

SCS have said i have to take delivery by wenesday of this week or they will start charging me storage! (something that was never mentioned at Point of Sale!). When I argued the case that the sofa was 11 days early any way so i shouldhave in theory til the 20th, it was brought up that I had signed to say if it came any earlier I could take delivery from the 2nd.. but as far as im concerned thats if its convienant to me!?!

Does anyone know where i stand with this? I could do with out this stress right now..

Charge for storage... What a cheek.. Do they pay you if it is the other way round..Like they are late in delivery..Do they Heck..

Lloyds TSB -PPI - Full refund . 05/09/06 :D:p (As Seen on TV) :p

Halifax settled in Full.. :D 22/09/06

TSB First Claim SETTLED IN FULL 19/10/06 :D

Second Claim to Lloyds TSB - Settled in Full

Firstplus - early settlement interest charges - Challenged the use of the rule of 78 - SETTLED IN FULL 12/1/07

PPI - GE Money / Purpleloans / Firstplus - Now Settled after 1 year long hard fight.

If my post has helped you, please click the scales! :grin:

Anything said is my opinion and how I understand the law, always consult professional legal advice before taking something to court.

Im sure one of the CAG gang will come along soon and give you a better idea of how to handle this one..Sorry but its not a speciallity subject of mine..

Ian

Lloyds TSB -PPI - Full refund . 05/09/06 :D:p (As Seen on TV) :p

Halifax settled in Full.. :D 22/09/06

TSB First Claim SETTLED IN FULL 19/10/06 :D

Second Claim to Lloyds TSB - Settled in Full

Firstplus - early settlement interest charges - Challenged the use of the rule of 78 - SETTLED IN FULL 12/1/07

PPI - GE Money / Purpleloans / Firstplus - Now Settled after 1 year long hard fight.

If my post has helped you, please click the scales! :grin:

Anything said is my opinion and how I understand the law, always consult professional legal advice before taking something to court.

• 1 month later...

Hi I used to work for SCS and they will tell you that when you signed the contract it states that you will take the goods within 48 hours of a call this is not true and they know that this contract will not hold water in court so dont let them bully you also they will make you sign a pre delivery contract re getting the furniture in without damage again this will not hold water in court and they know this but think you dont

• 2 weeks later...

SCS is one of the worst company I have dealt with. They lie through their teeth. I bought a sofa bed from them in January. I was induced in the contract with 4-6 weeks promise. Its been 9 weeks but no sign of delivery. Two weeks ago wrote 3 letter to their CEO, Sales director and the Regional Manager of the store in Beckton. The manager of the store responded and promised in return to refund me £100 for the inconvenience and a due delivery on 16 March. When I called them on 16th March, i was told that the 16th was a typing error and it is actually 26th. I consulted consumer direct for legal advice, who were not very sure about the strength of my case. All I wanted was a delivery on tmie. However they are just stalling for time and in your case, it appears penalisnig you. It seems like their deilvery system is in shambles. I saw a lots of complaints aganist them on Blagger.com - The place to leave feedback and comments about companies you have used as well. I have notified OFT of their dogy tactics. If you want to write it to the CEO and Sales director, here are the names and addresses:

David Knight

CEO

SCS Upholstery Plc

45/49 Villiers Street, Sunderland

Tyne& Wear

SR1 1HA

Tel:01915146000

Fax:01915109048

Kevin Royal

Sales Director

SCS Upholstery Plc

45/49 Villiers Street, Sunderland

Tyne& Wear

SR1 1HA

Tel:01915146000

Fax:01915109048

I advise you to write to them in as much legal jargo as you can and keep on fighting just as I am. Let us know if you have any luck.

Thanks guys

Well i spoke to the manager who dropped the charge and arranged delivery for that friday (I called him on the mon)

Friday - i get a call - to arrange delivery!!! i was stunned i told them i was sat in the flat waiting for them!

Apparently know one had entered the delivery date?? hmm..

Got them a week later - and they still, despite asking me for my mobile to call me a hour before - called my work phone and 20 mins before they arrived! what a joke - never buying from them again!

• 1 year later...

I went into the White Lion Retail Park , Dunstable store on Sunday 15th June 2008 at 4:00pm with my daughter as we were looking for new furniture for our rented accommodation. I was greeted/pounced upon by a lady called Hema (Staff ID: 7686), I advised her what I was looking for and that I would like to purchase it on finance if possible. I was assured that purchasing on finance wouldn't be a problem providing the computer system agreed to it.

Hema then proceeded to frog march myself and my daughter around the store briefly showing us the corner groups available, my daughter was having a great time she thought it was a playground BUT there were a number of times when I became worried because I lost sight of her in the store but was told by Hema "Don't worry, she'll be fine come and look at this one".

I finally found one that I liked but wasn't 100% sure about it, but because I was so flustered trying to keep an eye on my daughter and look at the sofa I agreed to check the finance options available with Hema and was then rushed over to the computer system, calling out for my daughter as I went. I then gave Hema the required information. The finance system agreed so I proceeded with the order.

When the order went through, I was ushered over to the Customer service desk where a gentleman told me he needed me to sign a few documents. I was not given a chance to read what I was signing, I had paperwork flying in front of me with the gentleman saying "sign here, sign here, sign here and sign here, jobe done" I was then given my copies and was ushered out the store.

When I got home, I went onto the SCS website to find out the measurements of the sofa because I was not given them at any stage throughout my march of the store or during the order processing stage. Because I am a single mother who was excited about purchasing my first peice of furniture, I didn't think to take measurements and admittedly it was my mistake to assume it would fit BUT I was not asked at any stage whether I had taken measurements to ensure it would fit. If I had been I would have given it a second thought, gone home measured up and then returned with the measurements before proceeding with the order.

Having discovered that the sofa was too big for my living room, I contacted the Dunstable store as soon as it opened on Monday 16th June at 10.00am to cancel my order but having spoken to Hema she requested that I came back to the store for another look around for something that would fit, which I did. This time I brought my mother with me to help decide and keep an eye on my daughter. Together we walked around the store looking at each of the corner units available and even asked for a tape measure to help us decide but unfortunately nothing would fit.

As there wasn't anything that met my requirements/measurements I informed Hema that I wanted to cancel the order but was abruptly told that I couldn't cancel the order because she had already placed the order with the manufacturer.

I asked how that was possible if she had offered me an alternative sofa because surely she would have to cancel the original sofa/my original order IF I had taken her offer of an alternative.

Hema then advised that NO orders were allowed to be cancelled. When I asked to speak to a manager I was faced with the same Customer Service gentleman who had rushed me through signing the order paperwork before ushering me out the door on Sunday when I placed my order. Unfortunately I did not take note of his name but he confirmed what Hema had previously told me with regards to cancellations.

At no stage was I asked if I had measured my sofa/living area to ensure it would fit nor was I informed that orders could not be cancelled and this information is not on your website or its Terms & Conditions either.

When I asked to speak to a manager I was informed by both Hema and the Customer Service gentleman that the store did not currently have a manager and that if I wanted to cancel my order I would have to do so in writing.

Having spoken to the Citizens Advice Bureau and Trading Standards I have been advised that all Finance/Hire Purchase items such as cars, furniture, electrical goods etc have a "7 day cooling off period" where I am free to cancel my order should I wish to do so.

In fact Citizens Advice advised me NOT to write a letter to you because there is a strong possibility it will not reach the correct person until AFTER the "7 day cooling off period".

The placement of my order on Sunday at 4.00pm and my original cancellation request on Monday morning at 10.00 am was LESS THAN 24 HOURS notice so the cancellation of my order should not have been a problem as I very much doubt the order was placed and this was confirmed when I contacted the Finance company who had no recollection of my account number or details and Maria at (Barclays) Clydesdale Financial Services confirmed that the order hadn't been placed yet.

Does anyone know where I stand with regards to this, I have emailed SCS Head office, sent a letter to the Head office and the Dunstable store AND a letter to the Finance company but as yet have not heard anything - I am now 3/4 days into my 7 day cooling off period

Please help/advise if you can

I would go into the store and record with camcorder you handing a letter of cancellation and stating you have sent another copy by registered post to the ceo. Make sure you have a current dated newspaper held to prove the date and get names. This company were horrible when I tried to cancel an order and I ended up having it delivered. It was damaged and repaired and two years later is dropping to bits with leather repair splitting. I think you need to act before the seven day cooling and not be suckered into the managers not here like I did, when I spoke to him the following week, they said it was too late in my case. I truly wish that this company would go away because the sofa I have is cr**.

hi there there is no cooling off period, it is not covered by the distance selling regulations act.

it is a common misconception. (read the forms before you sign them!)

when you go into a shop common sense would say you have the measurements to make a descision beforehand.

A simple letter would suffice to cancel the order, explaining you made an error of judgement and despite you beleiving it fitted it does not.

As you are after furntiure anyway, and it is not the retailers fault. i think it would be reasonable for the store to offer you a reselection.

There is no need to go in all guns blazing, keep your cool and i am sure they will cancel the order.

I tried to cancel my order after seeing the terrible damaged state of my friends suite that was to be the same design as mine, she had ordered prior to me. I panicked and politely showing pictures of my friends who was getting no help and only patronised when stating a great big tear in the sofa was normal and could be repaired, I made the descision to cancel within the time told at point of sale was allowed. If there is no cooling off period, then they should not say there is when asked at point of sale!!! I know I asked.

I was told no and that mine would arrive a ok as they say, it was rare for such damage I was told. A few weeks later:

It arrived with tears in the bottom, stains variation of the leather and a broken main frame in transit along with knicks in the leather here and there, like scuffed leather shoes. The manager patronised me and put arm on shoulder when arrived at my house and said dont worry we'll fix it, he said I'll look after it for you. Yeh right its still here, bodged up and a bad buy, creaks and squeaks from the bodged frame repair . Sad thing is I like it, but if I wanted to buy damaged goods at a discount I would go to a second hand store and get better quality for my money in future. I wouldnt pay over 1200 pounds on credit and want to be reminded for a couple of years on a montly basis that I was ripped off in my opinion of course.

So obviously next time in a department store I can really listen to the salesman and if he/she says cooling off period to sway an on the line descision wether to carry on looking around or buy what I realise was the one my friend chose in another store, what would I do. Avoid like the plague.

SCS could so easily sell more goods if they stopped shoddy sofas arriving and checked them at point of entry. Unfortunatley the word yes and a sharply small worded contract hastily given to me, when I have eyesight issues and made this clear was more than enough amunition to say sorry your hooked, dont worry we'll look after you.

:mad:Previous poster, people for not reading the small print, yes I admit we are sometimes niave and learn from mistakes, but it happens, were human. What happened more so the good quality products chosen at point of sale and the after care services promised if anything goes wrong, there can only be so many excuses surely. Get these corrected and the stores have a right to snottily belittle anothers little mistakes as in size issue, its easy to get carried away when the salesman mafia have seen a keen glint at a sofa, unfortunatley I felt more like a peice of meat that scs treat as badly as the sofas they supplied to me. Thats my experience and people are of course on this site welcome to give good opinions on their experience as well, trouble is I dont see them and believe this down to lack of quality. We are not talking a couple of hundred for a cheap sofa, people want them to last more than a year, what happened scs to a sofa for a few years, I havnt seen evidence of them arriving. Thats not getting into the extended warranty of course, I dont need another migraine.....:rolleyes:

Edited by stardust_john
edit

• 4 years later...

I ordered a new corner sofa - was given the measurements in the store (he actually measured the chair across me when I was sat in it!!). I was told that when it arrived if I didnt like the way the way it was (I ordered a 3 and 1 with the 1 on the left hand side) I could let them know and get it changed to the right hand side. I double checked this and my daughter was there and also commented on it. I checked the measurements when home and it should have fit nicely. The sofa arrived and it is too big and I cant open the living room door and there is nowhere else to put it than where it is. When I phoned them they said it was my fault and there was nothing they could do but the man speaking to me was very helpful and said he would check with management to try and help me out. He said they would phone me yesterday. I ended up phoning them at 5pm having heard nothing to which he was no longer helpful but quite abrupt said they were busy, they couldnt do anything and that it was my word against the man who dealt with me and he couldnt see him saying anything like that. He then said I must have misunderstood what was being said.