Need advice - consumer law

dmp1967
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6315 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Before christmas my wife saw a laptop in the window of a shop called cash generator, i told her to ring the shop up to find out the specifications of the laptop before purchasing, she did this explaining we wanted wireless internet.

They advised my wife the laptop had a 40gb hard drive. On being told the specifications and that the laptop was wireless enabled my wife went to the shop and we purchased 4 of the laptops (presents for our childen). The first chance of me have a look at these was 48 hours later, and i found that the laptops were not wireless enabled, only had 20gb hard drives and were all 2nd hand (approx 4 and a half years old). We purchased the 4 laptops for 1316 pounds. they are refusing to take them back as they say they have done nothing wrong, they offered us two deals. first was too take all the laptops back and get 900 cash back, the second deal was a full refund on 2 laptops and keep the other 2. We refused and they will only deal with us through their solicitor.

Can soemone advise if we are right to ask for a refund?

The Sale of Goods Act 1979 (as amended) states that all goods purchased must be of satisfactory quality, fit for normal purposes (including any purpose you make known to the seller) and as described.

If goods do not comply with these terms, you have a reasonable time in which to reject them for a full refund. I assume you let them know of the problems as soon as you discovered it. If so, then you will be within this timescale and I would write to them stating that you specifically required laptops for wireless internet and were sold these items as wireless enabled with 40 Gb hard drive. Therefore the items you actually have are not fit for their purpose (of wireless internet access) nor are they as described. Therefore you are rejecting them and require a full refund by (date).

If you've been writing to them with no joy, mark this new letter "Letter Before Action" and state that if they do not refund you by the date you have given (which should be reasonable) you will commence court action against them.

Ultimately only a court can force them to refund you.

The only difficulty I can see is proving what was discussed regarding the specs, as I assume it was all done verbally. Did the laptops have any labels on them in store re. spec?

Please note I'm not insured in this capacity, so if you need to, do get official legal advice.

I let them know 3 days after we bought them. The labels just had the price on it, which is why I told my wife to ring them up. We have proof that we rang them from the phone bill but like you said not the actual conversation.

Will we need to get a solicitor involved to take them to court?

Not necessarily. Most claims in the small claims track are unrepresented. This is because the small claims court very rarely awards costs for legal representation, so any money you pay a solicitor will not be awarded to you and you'll have to meet those costs yourself.

If you get legal aid there's no harm in consulting a solicitor but otherwise I would say arm yourself up with your legal rights and do it yourself.

Please note I'm not insured in this capacity, so if you need to, do get official legal advice.

Not necessarily. Most claims in the small claims track are unrepresented. This is because the small claims court very rarely awards costs for legal representation, so any money you pay a solicitor will not be awarded to you and you'll have to meet those costs yourself.

If you get legal aid there's no harm in consulting a solicitor but otherwise I would say arm yourself up with your legal rights and do it yourself.

Can you tell me where i can find all the info? I can get legal aid just that they said that any more correspondence has to be with their solicitor that scares me a bit.