• Tweets

• That isn’t actually what the Theft Act 1968 S1 actually says, BTW. https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1968/60/section/1 (1)A person is guilty of theft if he dishonestly appropriates property belonging to another with the intention of permanently depriving the other of it;   The difference between what you’ve said and the Act? a) intent to permanently deprive rather than  just depriving (which is why the offence of “taking without consent” was brought in for motor vehicles, as otherwise "joyriders" could say "but I intended to give it back at the end") b) dishonesty : If I honestly believed A's pen belonged to B, and took it and gave it to B - B might be found guilty of theft but I shouldn't be. 
    • Received a call and follow on confirmation email from the police about my cabinets! They wanted to confirm that I was prepared to support police action for the matter and that I would be happy to provide a statement and attend court at a later date!!! I think that something might actually get done - it won't get my cabinets back I know that but hopefully it will put a stop to this so called courier doing this to people!
    • Around a month ago I had to send a sympathy card to a friend in GB. Logistically it made sense to buy a personalised one on eBay and get it sent straight to my mate, rather than faffing around getting it sent to me.  This mighty purchase set me back all of £3.05 (including postage costs). I was taken aback that, when it was sent, I got a tracking number.  For a flippin' three-quid card!  I had no idea that technology had moved on so much and that tracking was so easy.  The shop has feedback for 16,300 purchases so tracking must be easy & automatic. It's unlikely your case will get to court, but in cases that do this got me thinking that we need to aggressively challenge the PPCs where they have lied about the timescales of sending their rubbish and have no proof at all of posting - when it would be so easy to provide it.
    • Thanks for uploading the appeal.  It was a waste of time but well done in not outing the driver. Why have your friends paid £60 they don't owe to a cowboy private company that have no means of making them pay as they don't do court?  If they paid by card, as I presume they did, they should get on to their bank and do a chargeback immediately. We call the £70 the Unicorn Food Tax.  The law specifically states they are only allowed to charge the original £100 but the PPCs and their bezzies in their trade associations allow this made-up extra £70 so £100 becomes £170.  Unfortunately for them the law doesn't. Anyway, snotty letter time. There is an example in post 32 here you can tweak as it's the same company but a different car park   https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/463964-alliance-anpr-pcn-lease-car-appeals-refused-daymer-bay-cornwall/page/2/#comments  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

James33 Taking On Abbey

JAMES33
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6063 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

The cheque for my court fees was cashed today so hoping to hear something from the Court soon! Still no GOGW payment:( was hoping I would get one of these to pay off my overdraft - never mind!

[FONT=System][COLOR=darkorchid]29.1.07 - S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) letter sent to Abbey[/COLOR][/FONT] [FONT=System][COLOR=darkorchid]17.2.07 - Preliminary letter sent to Abbey[/COLOR][/FONT] [FONT=System][COLOR=#9932cc]5.3.07 - LBA sent to Abbey[/COLOR][/FONT] [FONT=System][COLOR=#9932cc]28.3.07 - N1 filed at Worcester CC![/COLOR][/FONT] [FONT=System][COLOR=#9932cc]1.7.07 - AQ filed at Worcester CC[/COLOR][/FONT] [FONT=System][COLOR=#9932cc]6.9.07 - Court Date!!![/COLOR][/FONT]

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi i am just subscribing to your thread hope you dont mind. Im also from worcester and im claiming against abbey and lloyds. Im about 3 weeks behind yoy with Abbey but about 2 weeks in front at lloyds as I am expecting an acknowledgement from them tomorrow :D .

I know what you mean about the staff in abbey they always seem really stuck up and im glad you are giving them some stick back, i will look out for you handing leaflets outside abbey :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: .

good luck.

matt.

Lloyds settled in full

£4010.02:D

Halifax CC settled

£417.00 :D

Lloyds PPI

£3672.15 Refunded off loan :D

Hi Matt, thanks for subscribing to my thread - hope I can help you along the way! Things have ground to a halt at the moment, filed claim at Court back on 28th March and haven't heard a thing since, from the Court or Abbey. Might try to phone Court today to see if they have served the claim on Abbey and to find out the claim number so I can post it up on here. How is your claim going with the Abbey? GOOD LUCK!:-D

[FONT=System][COLOR=darkorchid]29.1.07 - S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) letter sent to Abbey[/COLOR][/FONT] [FONT=System][COLOR=darkorchid]17.2.07 - Preliminary letter sent to Abbey[/COLOR][/FONT] [FONT=System][COLOR=#9932cc]5.3.07 - LBA sent to Abbey[/COLOR][/FONT] [FONT=System][COLOR=#9932cc]28.3.07 - N1 filed at Worcester CC![/COLOR][/FONT] [FONT=System][COLOR=#9932cc]1.7.07 - AQ filed at Worcester CC[/COLOR][/FONT] [FONT=System][COLOR=#9932cc]6.9.07 - Court Date!!![/COLOR][/FONT]

Very quick update on my case. Spoke to Court this morning as I had still not received any correspondence from them since I filed my claim on 28th March. Apparantly because I had paid fee by cheque (because counter had just closed as I got there and they couldn't accept cash!) they had to put it on hold for 10 days until cheque cleared in there account before dealing with claim - not something I was aware of! My claim was sent to Abbey on 12th April, deemed served on 14th April and Abbey therefore have until 28th April to acknowledge. On another point, I recently sent some SAR's out on other accounts I have or have had in past and today I received out of the blue, a letter from G E Money containing all my statements and advising me that my account had been credited with a full refund of all charges of £309, which pays my account off!! WOW - wish it was that easy with Abbey, we'd all be laughing!! :D

Right, I've just got back from work and have had a bit more time to think about my "settlement" from G E Money. In the letter attached, they say that "despite exhaustive enquiries on their retrieval system, they have been unable to retrieve statements prior to October 2003". I have had the account with them since 1994 and as I have incurred £309 charges in the past three years, believe I could accept their £309 as part payment only and point out that unless I receive the rest of my statements, I will be entitled to file an estimated claim of £100 per year for the remainder of 9 years. I am thinking of combining one of the letters accepting offer as part payment only posted by Jonni2bad in the templates section with a preliminary letter setting out my intentions - could someone please let me know if this seems reasonable/possible! Any help at all would be very gratefully received!!

Hi JAMES33,

I am now just behind you! I also filed my claim on 28th March (the wrong copys) I actually put into my envelope copys of the N1 I was supposed to be throwing away! (You can guess just how angry I was with myself what a pleb). I had the 3 fully completed copies at home waiting for me when I got back so called the court and they said I could send them in with all the differences underlined, which I did the next day with a covering letter outlining the differences.

I now have a letter stating my claim has been re-issued and the date of service is now 15th April 2007, so.. deemed served 17th April, until 1st May for them to acknowledge and until 15th May for their defence then AQ me thinks...

I will keep an eye on you and subscribe to your thread...please feel free to follow mine Mazamarie vs Abbey.

Just tidied up my file and put everything in order ready for copying and indexing into a court bundle..

This is scary, and seems so complicated and long drawn out - but I'm really adament !

Maz

I have received my Notice of Issue from the Court today - finally! My claim number is 7WR00848. PLEASE can anyone help me with my GE Money question that I posted before - I need to send a letter off to them but not sure if it's the right thing to do!!

James, I take it you sent an SAR to GEMoney? well i would be sending them a non compliance letter, asking that in the event they have destroyed any documentation prrior to 6 years you would like copies of the certificate of destruction, otherwise you will be filing a complaint with the information commissioner - do a site search for it. The non compliance letter I mean LOL, it should be in the templates library

Lula

Lula v Abbey - Settled

Lula v Abbey (2) - Settled

Lula v Abbey (3) - Stayed

Thanks for your reply Lula! I have got the details of the non-compliance letter template and also the rejection of offer letter. I was hoping to combine these letters into one and also use the letter as my letter before action informing them that I will submit an estimated claim 14 days later if they do not comply fully with the SAR. I was just wondering whether it was okay to do this all in one letter.

Also, I was wondering if I can still claim 8% interest on this claim if it gets to court stage or is that only for banks?

Hi James, I think that I would just send the updated non compliance to encompass the certs of destruction and then give them a week to comply or you will complain the IC. I wouldnt be complicating matters LOL. To be honest, I wouldnt even have the first idea of how to combine those letters :confused:

Lula

Lula v Abbey - Settled

Lula v Abbey (2) - Settled

Lula v Abbey (3) - Stayed

Well Abbey have until 28th April to acknowledge claim. Haven't heard anything yet but not surprised! Was wondering what the current view is on entering judgement if Abbey do not acknowledge. Is it worth doing this or will it just delay matters even more. I presume if I do, Abbey will just ask for it to be set aside. I just thought that if judgement was entered it might provide me with a bargaining tool to try to negotiate an earlier settlement. Has anyone had experience of this that they could share with me?

Morning James,

Looks like we are both at the same stage they had till 28th to acknowledge our claim. They did it yesterday so now have until 13th May to bring up a copy of there standard defence on there PC and change the name at the top and case number. All this just to get them another 14 days before they have to pay up.

My personal opinion is that a letter to the defendant following the 28 days with no defence, to remind them and to invite them to settle or enter a defence before hitting default judgement will assist you in avoiding prolonged set aside applications. A simple letter giving 7 days before asking for default judgement, and copied to the court for your case file .

Hi again,

I wouldnt be surprised if you dont hear anything for a while yet. I filed against lloyds at worcester county court too and lloyds had until 10th April to acknowledge and until the 24th to defend. I only received a letter from the court TODAY saying that they acknowledged on the 5TH.

apparantly they are miles behind at the court

Lloyds settled in full

£4010.02:D

Halifax CC settled

£417.00 :D

Lloyds PPI

£3672.15 Refunded off loan :D

Hi James33

Don't count on anything. They had 'til 16th to acknowledge my claim (and 'til 30th to defend) on 18th I'd heard nothing... not a peep... the court advised me to return the form to enter judgement in default (but added that Abbey may still defend and would be allowed to) so I completed and returned it and continued to wait.

Today I've received a copy of their defence!

So, they may not acknowledge at all and they could still defend!

Thanks for the advice everyone! As I expected really:( Think I might follow Karne's advice and send them a letter if I have not heard anything after 28 days.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi james33

How's it going? :)

All advice offered here is my opinion only based on what I would do in a given situation. If you wish to act on it you do so at your own discretion

I have no legal expertise or qualification, and give advice on the basis of my own experience and nothing else.

Hi Charleyfarley - slowly!

Haven't heard a thing from Abbey since I filed my claim, they had until 30th April to acknowledge my claim but I checked with the court this morning and they still haven't received anything. The court advised me to send in my request for judgement but I said that Abbey often fail to acknowledge and then file their defence late and that if I did get judgement awarded against them they would probably only apply for a stay and then file their defence even later anyway. I think that I shall hold fire for the moment, if they fail to lodge their defence by 14th May I shall write to them as per Karne's advice above and see if I can negotiate an earlier settlement with them, think its worth a try anyway! THANKS FOR ASKING!! GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR CLAIM - BEEN FOLLOWING YOUR THREAD WITH INTEREST:D

You're one of the causes of all my troubles:) :)

Have a read of KnellyK's thread because I'm sure she was in a similar position to you and she's just won

All advice offered here is my opinion only based on what I would do in a given situation. If you wish to act on it you do so at your own discretion

I have no legal expertise or qualification, and give advice on the basis of my own experience and nothing else.

After reading KnellyK's thread I have decided to go ahead and send off the Request for Judgement. I have filled it in and requested payment in full by 18th May so I shall just wait and see what happens now. Knowing my luck Abbey will just submit defence late and request a stay and I shall have held up my claim by a month but never mind, at least I feel like I'm doing something constructive, all this sitting around waiting for something to happen is driving me mad!!

HI James33

When I rang the court the man there said to send it in and when they had worked through the back log they'd see if they'd had anything from Abbey, so the acknowledgement was due on 16th, I sent the form back on 18th saying I wanted payment in full by 7th May, and then I received a copy of Abbey's defence (from Abbey) dated 24th, then I got the Judgement for Claimant dated 19th from court. But I thought that they would let Abbey go ahead and that I'd get the defence from the court, so I rang the court and the lady there asked someone else and came back and said the judgement stood! I still didn't really believe it!

Then the cheque arrived! I didn't make any contact with Abbey apart from through the court!

Send the form back, if you get your form in before they get anything to the court you might end up with a cheque!

Good Luck!

Posted my request for judgement to court yesterday by first class recorded. Will keep my fingers crossed now and will phone the court if I get the judgement for claimant like KnellyK! Thanks so much for all the help KnellyK and Charleyfarley:D

Quick update - phoned Court this morning as I sent request for judgement off on 9th May. Abbey had until 13th May to submit their defence. Court are running about 6 days behind at the moment but they said that if my request for judgement was received by them before Abbey's defence, it would stand and they would grant me judgement and request immediate payment from Abbey. If Abbey's defence arrived before my request, they will allow it and the claim will follow its usual course. Nothing is showing on their records as of today though so they think it is likely that Abbey have not yet responded! Will keep fingers (and everything else) crossed that Abbey have forgotten about me and I will get judgement. (one of my cats has been at the Vets since last Tuesday and bill is up to £850 at the moment so desperately need the money!! :o

Court are running about 6 days behind at the moment but they said that if my request for judgement was received by them before Abbey's defence, it would stand and they would grant me judgement and request immediate payment from Abbey. If Abbey's defence arrived before my request, they will allow it and the claim will follow its usual course. Nothing is showing on their records as of today though so they think it is likely that Abbey have not yet responded!

That's almost word for word what they said to me!

Then I got the copy of the defence from Abbey and I thought they'd let them defend ~ but they didn't! :D:D :D

Fingers crossed you got in there before they did!