• Tweets

• They are absolute chuckleheads. You paid but because you entered a different car park site also belonging to them they are pursuing you despite them knowing what you had done. It would be very obvious to everyone, including Alliance that your car could not have been in two places at the same time. Thank you for posting the PCN so quickly making it a pity that you appealed since there are so many things wrong with it that you as keeper are not liable to pay the charge. They rarely accept appeals since that would mean they lose money but they have virtually no chance of beating you in Court. Very unlikely that they will take you to Court given the circumstances. Just in case you didn't out yourself as the driver could you please post up your appeal.
    • Jasowter I hope that common sense prevails with Iceland and the whole matter can be successfully ended. I would perhaps not have used a spell checker just to prove the dyslexia 🙂 though it may have made it more difficult to read. I noticed that you haven't uploaded the original PCN .Might not be necessary if the nes from Iceland is good. Otherwise perhaps you could get your son to do it by following the upload instructions so that we can appeal again with the extra ammunition provided by the PCN. Most of them rarely manage to get the wording right which means that you as the keeper are not liable to pay the charge-only the driver is and they do not know the name and address of the driver. So that would put you both in the clear if the PCN is non compliant.
    • Thank you so much. Yes, I wish I had done my research and not paid. It's all for the same car park. Here is one of the original PCNs, they are all the same bar different dates. PCN-22.03.24-1.pdf PCN-22.03.24-2.pdf
    • Hi Clou, Welcome to the Forum and thank you for reading first before you posted. There seems to be many problems with Cornwall and getting a signal to use your a phone which could be why these parking companies don't use alternatives. It is a shame you paid the first one as you would probably have not had to pay that one either.  Was the car park at which you paid the same parking company as the one sending you these PCNs? On the subject of PCNs could you please post them up so we can see if they comply with the Act.
    • 1 Date of the infringement 16th March   2 Date on the NTK [this must have been received within 14 days from the 'offence' date] 22nd March   [scan up BOTH SIDES as ONE PDF- follow the upload guide] please LEAVE IN LOCATION AND ALL DATES/TIMES/£'s   3 Date received unsure   4 Does the NTK mention schedule 4 of The Protections of Freedoms Act 2012? [Y/N?] UNSURE   5 Is there any photographic evidence of the event? Yes   6 Have you appealed? [Y] post up your appeal] Yes. Stated incorrect location was used in JustPark app as honest mistake. Rejected of course.   Have you had a response? [Y/N?] post it up Yes, rejected:   Site: Sea View Car Park, PL27 6SR Date of Event: 16th March 2024 We are in receipt of your challenge in relation to the above Parking Charge. Appeals must be handled in a fair and consistent manner, therefore, in order for us to cancel any Parking Charge; it is necessary for us to find that the Notice was issued in error. As per the clear and prominent signage at this location ('The Contract'), drivers agree to pay the sum of £100 if 'A valid ticket is not displayed face-up on the dashboard; enabling all of the printed information to be inspected'. 'The Contract' also details that there is an exception for those with a valid mobile session in place. Had the driver felt that the terms of the contract were unacceptable, they had the option to seek alternative parking. By remaining, the driver is deemed in law to be bound by the terms of 'The Contract'. Our photographic evidence confirms that a valid ticket was not displayed, and a search of our records confirms that no mobile session was in place for the registration XXXX at this location; therefore, your appeal is declined. We note that you have submitted evidence of payment; however, said payment is not for this location. It may be the case that you feel that the charge is unfair; however, there is no legal basis to now reject a charge that the driver has already agreed to pay. In light of the above, the sum £100.00 is payable by 21/05/2024 or £170 thereafter. Our internal appeals procedure is now exhausted, our decision is final; therefore no further correspondence other than payment will be addressed or responded to. Should you disagree with our decision, you may submit an appeal to 'The Independent Appeals Service'; full details are on the rear of this letter. 7 Who is the parking company? Alliance Parking LTD   8. Where exactly [carpark name and town] Sea View Car park, Polzeath, Cornwall   For either option, does it say which appeals body they operate under. IAS Hi there, thanks in advance for any help on this.   Had 3 'PCNs' in post from Alliance for parking 3 times over a period of two weeks, unfortunately we were away from home so letters must have come over the two weeks but we received all at once if that makes sense. I realised I had used the wrong location on the car park app. The signs are not clear what the location is called (no code.) I only had receipts for two instances so I assume the first it didn't go through as had terrible signal. Paid £60 for one of the fines. Appealed the others saying it was an honest mistake and not very good signage (unfortunately submitted on their website and have no evidence of my appeal.) received the rejection of appeal as above.   Have now received the attached letter of claim. I have done some research for the amazing snotty letters but wonder if someone could kindly help me with writing one specific to my case? Thank you so very much in advance. LOC-alliance-1.pdf Apologies, 2nd page of LOC here. LOC-alliance-2.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Please Help - Dell Computers

frankiefrankie
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4535 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

OK guys, I need some help. We ordered a computer from Dell at the start of December, it was promptly delivered, but it had a fault, and eventually, on 20th Dec, Dell agreed to refund our deposit and come and collect the computer.

The next day, Dec 21nd, the computer was collected. Dell received it on 22nd Dec.

We are still waiting for our refund. We have called and called Dell, they keep saying, 5 working days, 3 working days, a few more days etc etc.

We received a phone call last week saying that we would receive our money by yesterday at the latest. Surprise surprise, we didn't and still haven't.

What do I do now? Please help. I can't find a direct address for a complaints department, and I really need this money back.

The deposit was paid with my Visa Debit card. Am I covered at all?

Please help me someone :-(

Frankie.xx

I dont think you have extra rights from a debit card. I have about 6 Dell Computers (office and home). Have had a few problems over the years but these have always been sorted out OK. Once they sorted out a laptop problem even though it was passed the warrenty date.

I would call sales (thats easier to get through to) and then ask for a manager. I would think your problem will be sorted out soon.

If you bought online or by any distance means, which with Dell I assume you did, the Consumer Protection (Distance Selling) Regulations give a trader 30 days in which to refund the consumer.

I will try and find some additional contact details for you if I can.

Please note I'm not insured in this capacity, so if you need to, do get official legal advice.

I would write to Dell explaining that the Regulations mentioned give them 30 days to refund in the event that goods are returned to them, they have not done so and therefore have not complied with the Regulations and you are now giving them notice that you are prepared to commence court action to recover your money plus costs. Give them a reasonable date by which to respond to you. This is effectively a letter before action.

After that, you are moving on to raising a claim - I would imagine (and hope) that they would refund you before it got to that stage.

Please note I'm not insured in this capacity, so if you need to, do get official legal advice.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, since you made a contract with Dell (buy buying from them) in England, then you are covered by English Consumer Law, and can take them to small claims court here. If they don't respond to a Court, then they may have their rights to trade suspended in this country. I have taken court action and it's simple though rather time consuming in writing letters and noting facts very carefully. Actually, that's what the courts are there for (- allowing anybody to get justice -), and have been so throughout much of our history, so don't be scared to use it. You need to give the supplier (Dell) a "reasonable time" to respond and/or correct faults. What constitutes a 'reasonable' time is is flexible - and depends on the circumstances, though there are various precedents from previous Court cases (that's how our common law is made, generally speaking - it goes on what has been judged before). Two weeks should be a reasonable time for a large organisation to reply to communication. ALWAYS make a grievance in writing if the very first phone call does not work. If there is no answer to your letter or if the terms sent in reply are not acceptable, then write again in strong but polite language, sticking to the facts and quoting them clearly (time consuming though it is), and tell them that if you are not offered satisfaction (in your case monies due to you, or a reasonable replacement) then you will ask a County Court to decide the matter.

Phone the local County Court and ask for an application to take a retail company to the small claims court, and tell them what amount of money you are claiming for. You usually pay in (depending on the amount you are going to claim for) an amount, say £80 to the Court for them to start proceedings. For a Small Claims Court, when the matter is decided, if you win, you get the £80 back as well as the amount you claim for. If you loose, you loose nowt but the £80 - you will not be asked to pay for the legal fees of those you are trying to sue - even though companies often (usually, even) threaten to claim huge sounding legal costs for their solicitors, just to put you off - it's pure rubbish so don't be intimidated or frightened off by it.

When you write a letter to the company you are claiming from, you will often be directed to write to Customer Services. In my experience these are usually brain donors who probably can't get a job in any other department and are incapable of independant thinking (even if they are permitted to do so) and often their job is really to put you off claiming, and in some cases they are instructed to fob you off and/or delay you until you give up. And it works - many people do. This Customer Services route has never been successful for me - and I learned long ago to write "for the urgent and personal attention of the Managing Director" - and ALWAYS send all communications recorded delivery so they can't deny they have received anything. (Keep the posting receipts and photocopies of all letters for a year or two after the event, as some companies have admitted receiving mail only later to deny it)

Put presure on the company too:- write in your letter a paragraph that states that if you have to persue the matter by phone calls, letters or communication in any form, that you will claim at your normal overtime rate of £xx per hour, plus any costs (post, phone calls, photocopying, etc) for any time spent chasing them, and that you will claim interest on monies for any and all delay in payment from when it first reasonably could/should have been made from when you made them (the company) aware of the problem.

This formula worked for me, and I was awarded the whole lot I claimed for (outlined above) when the matter went to Court, (against a company who tried to get out of paying for work done)- for the record, people say that if you don't have anything in writing then you have no chance in a Court- what nonsense! - I had not a jot in writing - all I had was a witness to what was said and done - and all you need is a witness (and/or some other form of proof if that's what you have).

Also remember that many companies will try to part-settle, giving you a less than satisfactory offer. Take any money offered but refuse to sign anything that says you "accept this as payment in full and final payment" or anything of the kind. Once you have taken the first sum (or refused it due to a silly clause) then persue them for the rest of the money/service.

Remember that at law, anything signed "under duress" is not binding so if you are scared by them (the company), by threats etc., you can always make this clear to the Court. English law Courts use the "reasonable man" as a test. I.e. would a 'reasonable man' have been scared by this statement, in these cirumstances? So don't worry too much if you felt forced into signing something then regretted it later - but it will be up to you to demonstrate to the Court that you were genuinely under duress:- so note all facts of what was said to you, how, and when: E.g: if two heavies come a knocking, making oblique but obvious threats and asking you to sign something, for example.

If you don't actually know what you are entitled to claim (how much money etc) don't let that put you off or feel you have to go to an expensive solicitor, either - just say in your communications that you will "ask the court to decide the matter" in a clever way so that you don't let on that you don't know how much to go for - and the Court will decide the matter for you - remember some cases are found to be 'partially at fault' and you may be awarded 60% or what you claimed for if the Court thinks you are 40% to blame.

Bear in mind mitigation of losses - by English law you must mitigate losses - i.e. if someone hits your mini you can't hire a Rolls Royce till it's fixed, as there were no minies like yours available for hire. Or if someone lets your dogs out and you know they are likely to get run over, you can't let that happen then claim for their value, unless you have clearly tried to get them back off the road and back in the yard (I'm not getting into livestock laws which are complex, just making a quick example). You must make it obvious that you have done all you can reasonably to stop your losses getting greater before making a claim.

Also consider limitation to what you can claim for by the remoteness of a claim. I.e. if someone hits your car then you can claim damages for that, fine... but if your mother in law misses her dental appointment and has to pay for it because you could not pick her up on time due to the accident, then it's classed as too remote and you can't claim for it. Sorry, Mother-In-Law.

Finally (yawn, at last...) an important aspect of English law is what is said when you enter into a contract. If, for example, a supplier says they will deliver goods to you next day and you pay 'em to do that, and you miss your dream place on a cruise liner as you had to wait in for the all important goods which then came a day late, then hard cheese. But if you told your supplier initially that "if the goods are a day late it will cost me the unrefundable price of a holiday" - and he willingly and knowingly enters into the contract with you knowing this - and then he delivers late - then you can claim against him for the loss. Of course there aresometimes exceptions to what I have noted in the past five paragraphs - according to cases gone before, and Blairite statutes etc. but these are general rules and knowing them gives you a better chance of winning, or of looking up relevant prior cases if you really take the trouble to research legal facts.

I have to say I'm not legally trained and I can only say these roughly stated rules and this info has served me very well over the years, gleaned mostly from a Law module at Uni and some home reading - I just hope it helps someone else who has suffered an injustice.

Ciaooooo......

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Frankie

Over the last couple of months I have had murders with Dell.

After many hours on the phone to various call centres around the Indian sub continent I was totally fed up. So after a bit of late night research I decided to email the entire Board of Directors for the UK.

I got replies from the CEO for UK and the Vice President of Finance and within 2 days problem solved.

I don't know whether it's correct to display all the personal emails on web but if you would care to send me PM I'll let you have them.

Ciao

Brown*Eyed*Girl

• 6 months later...
Hi Frankie

After many hours on the phone to various call centres around the Indian sub continent I was totally fed up. So after a bit of late night research I decided to email the entire Board of Directors for the UK.

I got replies from the CEO for UK and the Vice President of Finance and within 2 days problem solved.

I don't know whether it's correct to display all the personal emails on web but if you would care to send me PM I'll let you have them.

Ciao

Brown*Eyed*Girl

anyone have these emal address?

If my post has been helpful please click the scales below my username

• 9 months later...
Hi Frankie

Ciao

Brown*Eyed*Girl

Same here, please send me there email addresses, im having an absolute nightmare with these pirates

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If you google Dell problems you will see bigger lists than just about anything else you can search for. We are talking in the tens of thousands and worldwide not just the UK.

The quality of their machines are very poor having cheap boards made for them in china.

All boards are made in China!

The above post constitutes my personal opinion on the facts in the post compared with my personal knowledge of the applicable legislation. I make no guarantees of its legal accuracy. If you are in doubt seek advice of a legal professional specialising in the area concerned.

If my post has helped you please click my scales!

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'd love the email contact info too.

Have been stuck in Dell Hell quicksand for a month talking to eejits abroad that simply do not care - and my complaint is for negligence. Basically, Dell tech turned up to swap a faulty component, left the mains connected and switched on & the battery connected, opened up the system cover and stuck a screwdriver onto the mainboard to force a component out and blew the computer up, further causing all the office power to go out, systems all went off and comms down. Told him to leave the premises and he had the cheek to ask me to sign the form, right after blowing the PC up in front of me. He accepted responsibility at the time (NOTE: he was getting paid £12 to do a round trip of 70 miles and the repair itself, maybe this influences the standards huh?)

Having previously won a case for negligence and breach of contract against the world biggest security co, I fully understand the reality of taking a corporation to court; it can be a long drawn out (& expensive) challenge that will drive you a bit nuts; however if like me it's a matter of principle you will stick with it till you get there.

Its because of this I'm going to give it one more chance with dell if you can forward me the contact info mentioned above, however I have already spent a fortune taking solicitors "advice" so am prepared for litigation should they not see sense sharpish, however if I can actually get to talk to someone that speaks my lingo, realises the gravity of the situation and has the ability to make a decision, I am hoping it will be quickly sorted out.

Iwa

If someone could send them to me that'd be great, I'm fed up of speaking to people in India that don't understand the problems and so give no proper solutions.

They've had my PC back off me a couple times in the past few months and they've just resorted to formatting it and sending it back to me. As if I couldn't do that myself - it's just that formatting is only a temporary fix. It's back to crashing on the DELL screen before Windows even loads. Can't access set-up or boot from disk now.

I know I won't get anything by phoning their customer services again, I have sent an e-mail but I'm sure it would be more effective to e-mail someone a bit higher up the chain and in the UK.

• 9 months later...

Having mega problems with a 6 month old Dell laptop that has crashed/US.I a not accepting a repair....reluctantly agreed to Refund/exchange.Eeejut in India having none of it,say's repair hard drive only...I refused ( I have been throuhg all the recorded letter thing to Ireland and Bracknell,Berks UK-still get a 'person' from India responding!!!)).I have said that I will go to small claims court,concerned about being stung for Dells costs if I lose....anyone know 100% if they can claim of me or not?

Would like email address's also of Dell's band of 'directors'(that's a joke)

anyone who can offer any help,most appreciated.