info on charges levied by yorkshire bank

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6222 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Reading through the threads it is apparent,yorkshire bank have been fleecing peoples account.I know the £35 charges for returned cheques and unpaid direct debits are too high.My dilemma is the charges placed on my account are mainly a £8 a day for exceeding my overdraft limit.Over the last 6 years this would add up to a considerable amount.

My question is to other Yorkshire Bank customers on this site,is have you claimed for this daily charge.

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks

Hi Crystal,

Most of my charges where made up of this £8 per day, plus the £25 per month charge. You need to claim every charge they've made against your account.

Just out of interest, have they changed your account type lately, as my ex account was 'reviewed' in Dec 2005 and apparently the don't offer that 'old' type of current account anymore and changed mine to the new version [i've forgotten what it was called] but you didn't get charged £8.00 per day for being overdrawn, just the £25 if you kept with a £25 'buffer zone' of your overdraft.

PJ x

Advice & opinions given by pjdudley69 are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional. Also visit legal seagulls for more friendly help and advice.

Hiya guys..

I`m just waiting for my statements to come through, so i will be able to tot up my totals soon..

In the current account that i have, ( the one where all my direct debits come out of ) i do know that i have been charged about 69p per direct debit this has gone on for years. Is this the kind of charge that can be claimed back or are they acceptable ? Because of this every three months i`m charged around £50.

For the first time ever ( for some reason ) when i got my charges letter the other week the total `charges` worked out at 69p ONLY. .

The way that i`ve` handled my account hasn`t changed one bit ( puzzled look )

Just wondering if anyone else is claiming such charges ?

Thanks........Regards....Swag Bag.

Thanks stycks

I don't think my account has been changed.However the message may be getting through,as they returned a cheque last week.My employer sent me a cheque but cancelled it,as they had done a bank transfer unbeknown to me.They only charged my account £6 for this.

Thanks for the info on the daily charge,should add up to a tidy little sum.

Hi Crystalloid,

Just read your message on my thread,yes all the £8/day fees are claimable.

They only charged my account £6 for this.

Thanks for the info on the daily charge,should add up to a tidy little sum.

Add this to your schedule too as it is a charge we all include in our schedules

Jules

Thanks for the info guys.Just a thought when you have added all the charges up,do the bank deduct what are now considered a reasonable amount from your claim, or do you tend to get all your charges back.

Goin to drop my request for information on charges at my branch tommorow.

Let the BATTLE COMMENCE.

The most likely scenario is that they'll refuse to refund your charges when you send your prelim letter. And at some point they will probably offer you a reduced payment. Hold out and you will get every last penny back, as many of us here have already done.

PJ x

Advice & opinions given by pjdudley69 are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional. Also visit legal seagulls for more friendly help and advice.

No they wont deduct what is considered a reasonable amount.If you think about it,that would be admitting that their charges were unreasonable and inflated in the first place

;) If this helps please click the scales bottom left

Hiya guys..

I`m just waiting for my statements to come through, so i will be able to tot up my totals soon..

In the current account that i have, ( the one where all my direct debits come out of ) i do know that i have been charged about 69p per direct debit this has gone on for years. Is this the kind of charge that can be claimed back or are they acceptable ? Because of this every three months i`m charged around £50.

For the first time ever ( for some reason ) when i got my charges letter the other week the total `charges` worked out at 69p ONLY. .

The way that i`ve` handled my account hasn`t changed one bit ( puzzled look )

Just wondering if anyone else is claiming such charges ?

Thanks........Regards....Swag Bag.

I'm a bit puzzled by the 69p Swag Bag. Is this a business account? It seems to me like a service charge that you may have agreed to if it's for every direct debit. I take it you don't mean the bounced ones. Have you got any Terms and Conditions you can refer to? If not just ask the bank what it's for.

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Hi caro,

Thanks for replying to my question..

The account i have was opened when i was about seventeen to have my wage paid into ( 25 years ago )...A few years later when i bought a house i had my direct debits took out and have always been charged a fee for this....

I remember querying this once a long time ago, but was told by a young lady behind the counter that this was right....so i`ve always thought that this must be correct....and have carried on paying this for what must be over 20 years.. ( This is not a business account at all ).

I`ve always thought that every boby must be charged this who had an account with the Yorkshire bank. Can i reclaim these charges ?

Thanks......Swag Bag..

PS ...With having this account so long...I have no Terms and conditions..

Swagbag

Iv'e had my account about 25 years and I have never been charged 69p for direct debits.Back then it was standing orders never been charged for them either.

PJ, Caro thanks for your support,will probably need your help as the claims progress.

• 2 weeks later...

I have just received an acknowledgement letter for my data request.In it they state under the data protection act they are not obliged to provide,information on manual intervention of managing accounts.I assume this is due to the fact they don't hold any records ??

I have just received an acknowledgement letter for my data request.In it they state under the data protection act they are not obliged to provide,information on manual intervention of managing accounts.I assume this is due to the fact they don't hold any records ??

Yes they havent done any interventions,but wont admit it because then they cant justify their charges.the main thing is you asked for the info and they have refused to supply it.this is in your favour come court time

If I have helped please click the scales bottom left:rolleyes:

• Haha 1
;) If this helps please click the scales bottom left

• 5 weeks later...

I handed my SAR into my local branch by hand on the 19th Jan,a member of staff signed for it's receipt.Today will be the 40th day,head office wrote to me on the 26th Jan acknowledging receipt on the 26th Jan,this would give them a further 7 days.If I do not receive my statements in this mornings post are they in breach of the data protection request ? If so what can I do about it ?

Thanks

They received the payment the day you took it in to the branch so the 40 days started then.

In the bank templates library there is a letter before action giving them 7 days to comply or you will take court action. You could also complain to the ICO (Information Commissioners Office).

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

I have received a letter today from the Yorkshire Bank informing me that the 40 days has elapsed.However due to the high volume of requests they are unable to process my request at this time,and ask for patience in this matter.They go on to say I'm within my rights to refer the matter to the Information commissioner.Any thoughts anyone,is this just a delay tactic wouldn't have thought it took much time to press the print icon on the screen.

They have failed in their legal requirement, so yes carry on as planned. I think you were going to complain to the ICO anyway.

Perhaps if they are struggling they should deploy more people to do it. They can afford it after all. Include a copy of the letter from the bank in your letter of complaint. 40 days is loads of time.

The Information Commissioner's Office

Wycliffe House

Water Lane

Wilmslow

Cheshire

SK9 5AF

Yorkshire Bank

Started Process 19th Sept 2006.

All Stages Followed.

Next Step Court!

Hearing Date 7th June 2007.

WON!!!!! 6th June 2007 :D

Frequently Asked Questions

Example Step-By-Step Instructions

You also might want to take a look at the Information Commissioner's Office complaints section on their site.

The Information Commissioner's Office Complaints

Sarah.

Yorkshire Bank

Started Process 19th Sept 2006.

All Stages Followed.

Next Step Court!

Hearing Date 7th June 2007.

WON!!!!! 6th June 2007 :D

Frequently Asked Questions

Example Step-By-Step Instructions

Today I received statements for one of my current accounts.Can somebody just clarify what you can claim back.

£20 MONTHLY CHARGE

£8 DAILY CHARGE

I am assuming the debit interest charge is not claimable,as i have in effect borrowed that money during that period.

Also is it advisable to wait for statements for my other account and claim jointly or should I just proceed seperatly.

Any advice appreciated...........Thanks

Seperate them as this will be easier to follow.

The debit interest can be a complicated process of claiming back as you can not claim it all back as you know, only some of it due to charges amount per month, dosent usually add up to that much and a lot of effort is required to calculate it, that is why a lot of people leave it.

Have a look in here to see what you can claim for, hope this helps and good luck.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/faqs-please-read-these/25457-guide-reclaiming-bank-charges.html?garpg=6