carter56 v Barclays

carter56
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5549 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

HI everyone i have finally taken the plunge and i am sending my S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) letter to barclays today along with my £10. its a bit scary and this is just the first step. i have online banking with barclays and i am able to check my statements for the last 3 months and they have taken wait for it a whopping £855 in charges. its no wonder i am up to my ears in debt. i applied for a basic account at nat west yesterday so hopefully that will allow me to have mine and my husbands wages paid into that. i want to say a big thank you to phillipa who has given me the stength to do something about this . fingers crossed

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well done for taking the first steps. Keep reading the forums here for details on how everyone else is getting on and you can uncross your fingers, it makes it harder to type!

Come back and ask any questions that you cannot find the answers too and keep us updated on your progress.

iGroup (GE Money) - AoS Filed late, defence late, amended defence also late despite extra time requested and granted.

Vanquis - Claim issued, no AoS or Defence received

well done!! I sent mine yesterday, one to Lloyds, one to Halifax, just as scared! Just keep reading, there is so much to learn from this site and everyone is so helpful! If it's any help my friend just sent a letter listing the charges to Barclays, said she wanted it back. They sent her a letter, usual blah, blah, we do not think charges unfair, blah, blah but as a goodwill gesture will give it back anyway! She got £540 back just like that! Is the worm turning?!!! Chin up! Will keep an eye on your thread to see how you get on

Birchave0 (fellow newbie!)

9-1-07 S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent:o !! Lloyds and Halifax!

20-1-07 S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent Capital One

20-1-07 S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent Halifax Card Services

20-1-07 S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent Marbles

20-1-07 S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent Halifax (Birchave0's sis)

8-3-07 PPI refund Lloyds TSB Loan £1200 + £2900 off loan balance

22-5-07 Halifax *Won* £1025

23-9-07 Goldfish 8k balance written off, £2300 PPI + charges returned, no agreement

Just a quick note to wish you luck. Follow the step by step guide and you'll be fine.

Barclays 1st Claim

Prelimery letter sent 19/7/06

LBA sent 2/8/06

Offer of less than 50% rejected

Filed MCOL 18/8/06

Defence filed 23/9/06

Court date 8th February

Barclays 2nd Claim

Prelimery letter sent 11/10/06

LBA Sent 25/10/06

CLAIM SETTLED 10/11/06 :-)

hi just to let you know that i have been sent the application forms for a new bank account by nat west and signed and posted them back the same day. its only a basic account but will enable me to have some control over by debts. fingers crossed its a successful application. i have got some folders together and i am trying to get my self into some sort of order so i am organised. thats not something i find easy.

i have about 3 credit cards and i am wondering if you can claim back charges with these. i dont know quite how that works with credit cards. if someone could advice me. also i know this sounds really thick but i am not very computer literate and i can reply to threads but spend ages trying to work out how to start a new thread. what do i click on to do it ? i dont want to waste peolples time reading throught this when i could post on the right forum.

thanks for any advice

linda x

hi Linda, yes you can do credit cards, I'm just about to do mine. If you wanted to start a new thread for those you look for the main forum, it lists all of the banks and most of the credit card companies as well. Scroll down the list, click on the one you want, this opens that forum and then click on new thread, this enables you to start your own. I think this is the way I did it, hope it helps, if you get stuck ask one of the moderators or site helpers, they are all great

cheers

birchave0:)

9-1-07 S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent:o !! Lloyds and Halifax!

20-1-07 S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent Capital One

20-1-07 S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent Halifax Card Services

20-1-07 S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent Marbles

20-1-07 S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent Halifax (Birchave0's sis)

8-3-07 PPI refund Lloyds TSB Loan £1200 + £2900 off loan balance

22-5-07 Halifax *Won* £1025

23-9-07 Goldfish 8k balance written off, £2300 PPI + charges returned, no agreement

just to let you know that i have received a letter from barclays this morning and i am wondering what is the best way to deal with it.

Dear Mr & Mrs *****

We refer to your letter of 9th January requesting information under the terms of the Data Protection Act.

You have enclosed a postal order for £10

Please be advised that the fee in this matter is £10 per person and we await provision of this additional sum before proceeding.

Whilst writing we would mention that in fact you require specific and limited information, for example duplicate account statement, these may be provided without charge and your initial payment will be returned.

Your further contact is awaited in due course.

Yours sincerely

Peter Townsend

Manager, Barclays Data Protection

Do i phone and ask for the last six years statements and not bother with any other info or do i phone and ask for the statements and any info on myself or phone and ask for statements and send another £10 for info on my husband. I put both names on the sar as it is a joint account and thought that would be best.

also the address on the top of the letter is

Privacy & Data Protection

Radbroke Hall

Knutsford

Cheshire

WA16 9EU

do i reply direct to Peter Townsend at this address or still use the London address.

Thanks for any advice

sent my letter to barclays today telling them its £10 per account and not £10 per person on a joint account i have sent it recorded delivery . told them this is time wasting and the clock is ticking

linda

Good for you Linda. I think Barclays have tried this on before, make sure you keep on top of them and remind them when they get close to the deadline with a letter.

iGroup (GE Money) - AoS Filed late, defence late, amended defence also late despite extra time requested and granted.

just a quick question if and when i get to the settlement part and i win back my charges will i have a choice of how i receive them. i have an overdreat with barclays (obvious or i wouldnt be in this mess !! ) if they pay it direct into that account then it would be swallowed up. i have opened a parachute account at nat west would i be able to ask for payment to go into that account or have a cheque. i know i am nowhere near this point but i just wondered. if i can have it paid into another account then it will help me to pay off some other debts that i have.

thanks linda

Maybe it would be better to pay off the overdraft and start with a clean slate.

Emz:D

***If i've helped you in any way, please click on the SCALES to the left and add to my reputation***

Barclays Bank - £2238.33 Settled 02/01/07

Bristol & West - S.A.R sent 12/01/07

Read my successful thread

here

'Money can't buy you happiness, but it does

bring you a more pleasant form of misery'

You have enclosed a postal order for £10

Please be advised that the fee in this matter is £10 per person and we await provision of this additional sum before proceeding.

Whilst writing we would mention that in fact you require specific and limited information, for example duplicate account statement, these may be provided without charge and your initial payment will be returned.

Barclays charging? not on my account!, I think for the purpose you want the records for [reclaiming charges] you just need to request account details for the previous 6 years, they will forward you the print outs of your account, these are not the same format as your regular statements but hold the same info.

I worded my initial letter as "please forward all records you hold on a/c No. xxxxxxxxx and a/c No. xxxxxxxxx for the past 6 years for my inspection.

I received without delay or charge.

I was wondering if you sent your SAR to the Head Office in London and not your local branch.

anyhoo, if you do get charged, be cheeky and add it to you list of unacceptable charges when claiming[lol]

http://www.findmadeleine.com/

http://news.sky.com/skynews/madeleine

If I dont reply to a direct question please feel free to PM me.

if and when i get to the settlement part and i win back my charges will i have a choice of how i receive them. i have an overdreat with barclays if they pay it direct into that account then it would be swallowed up. i have opened a parachute account at nat west would i be able to ask for payment to go into that account or have a cheque.

First. Lose the "IF I WIN" - be positive, you mean "WHEN I WIN".

As BMW says, I, personally would use your win to clear the debt, if you pay it into another account you WILL spend it on other things and you will not achieve anything.

Your choice at the end of the day tho, yes you will have the choice, but if you do not stipulate your method of payment it will automatically get paid into your No.1 account with Barclays.

http://www.findmadeleine.com/

http://news.sky.com/skynews/madeleine

If I dont reply to a direct question please feel free to PM me.

hi i have received a letter from sharon cafffery saying

" we refer to your letter of 16/1/07. i must refer you back to peter townsend's letter of 12/1/07. under the terms of the data protection act there is a £10 fee payable per person per request.

could you please confirm which of you the £10 payment is relevant to and we will proceed with your subject access request.

if in fact you require specific and limited information, for example duplicate account statements, these may be provided without charge and your inintial payment will be returned

your further contact is awaited in due course "

yours sincerley

sharon caffery

subject access co - ordinator

what do i do the account is in both names it is a joint account. if i just ask for info on my behalf will it alter anything if we go to court.? will they be able to say it is a joint account and you should both have applied.

do i just need to statements and nothing else or do i need to see if there has been any manual intervention.

what is the best thing to do

i sent the original letter on the 10th january what date do i start my 40 days from? could they say i was asking for the wrong info and not sent enough ££'s

ANY ADVICE PLEASE !!!

LINDA

Hi

Someone correct me if im wrong but you are requesting bank statements on a joint account.

The statements are just the means to calculate your charges so you would only need to pay £10. ( which they normally return anyway).

I would just request 1 set of statement as 2 sets would be identical as its a joint account.

They are just being difficult .

Does your account need two signatures to authorise a transaction, or just one? If you both need to sign, then that may be what is causing the difficulty.

Just request information regarding all transactions on the account for the last six years. You don't need personal information, just the information regarding charges levied on your account.

Regards, Rooster.

• Confused 1

If this has been useful to you, please click on the scales at bottom left of post. Thanks.

Advice & opinions of Rooster-UK are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Please use your own judgment.

-------------------------------------------------------

LOOK! Free CAG Toolbar.

Follow link for more information.

------------------------------------------------------

Please donate,

Help us to help others.

LINKS....

Forum Rules.

FAQs....

Linda

Rooster is absolutely correct, your original DPA SAR letter (unless you modified the template) should have read thus " Please supply me with a complete list of transactions and charges relating to my banking history with your organisation. Alternatively, a complete set of statements for that period will be acceptable."

In this case, you should reply with something like this.

Dear Ms Caffery

Data Protection Act 1998 Subject Access Request

Account Number:

I am in receipt of your letter dated (date) and notice that once again you are attempting to involve me in protracted and entirely redundant correspondence.

My request was for a complete list of transactions and charges relating to my account since my account was opened, in short a list of charges with dates and amounts. Alternatively a complete set of account statements for that period will be acceptable. This should be retrievable from your accounting systems and easy for you to produce. I will accept a computer print out of these transactions.

This letter has been sent by first class post and therefore should have reached you by (date). I have no doubt that you will be aware, as of this date you have just xx days in which to comply with my request. As stated above, a complete set of account statements for the period in question will be acceptable; however, I expect this to be provided within the time period for Data Protection Act compliance.

I am prepared to accept that your continued prevarication is a genuine oversight on your part and look forward to receiving the information I requested. However, should the statutory 40 day deadline expire without receipt of the information that I have requested I will be left with no alternative but to commence a County Court action under section 7 and section 15(2) of the Data Protection Act 1998 and in due course, escalate this matter into an official complaint to the Information Commissioner and the FSA.

Yours sincerely

Hi all just to bring you all upto date i posted a copy of the letter that hagenuk posted and sent it recorded delivery on 30/1/07

i have received a letter from barclays today from Sharon Caffery

"we refer to your letter dated 30th January 2007.

with reference to your subject access request under the above legislation, we confrim that your request is currently underway. In consequence, any material that qualifies for disclosure as your "personal data" will be supplied within the statutory 40 calendar day period.

if you wish to get in touch with us please contact the undersigned ."

yours sincerly

sharon caffery

subject access co-ordinator

cant wait for it to come and then i can get started

linda

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone sorry not been around but had the flu !! still heard nothing from barclays since my last postin i take it they mean they are defo going for the 40 days from receipt of my last letter which should make for delivery around 12/3/2007. all this time wasted by barclaysand i cant wait to get to the next stage . still scanning the forums to keep intouch

linda