StepChange DMP - Multiple Debts

reason?

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Posted (edited)

I can't find the message now in the app for some reason, but it said something along the lines of it checks accounts from time to time and something about credit check agencies and unfortunately they are closing my account in 90 days and to make sure there is no money in my account by that time :(

Is this a problem I am going to have every time I open an account with someone new? I've had all my direct debits and standing orders changed over to Starling, which was a massive ball ache doing it manually.

When I was in panic mode over the Santander issue I applied for Starling, Monzo and Co-op. They all accepted me and gave me an account but I chose the Starling one (which I actually really like too).

If anyone knows how I find the customer service message in the Starling app please let me know and I'll copy the message to here. I can't see any option in the app though for messages.

Edited by LilMissM

Did it come as a notification or an actual text?

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

I got a text notifying me of a customer service message in the app, so I opened the app and saw the message but it isn't there when I re-opened the app. I am not sure if it was a message or a notification sorry :(

Should I use the Monzo account and use the Switch feature to get all my direct debits, standing orders, wages etc moved in time for May?

My concern is that Monzo do the same as Starling and I find myself with no bank account and no one accepting me.

You can use Monzo if you want but don't use the Switch Service because it'll move your overdraft too.

To get to Starling messages tap your profile on the top right of the app, tap help then "Talk to Starling"

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

I would recommend logging a complaint with Starling as well. They won't tell you why they've closed the account but you can make sure it's done properly and raise it with the ombudsman also.

There's not much you can do apart from getting your money moved from Starling to Monzo and moving your direct debits over.

I don't have an overdraft with Starling, I didn't have (or want) the option and my account is well in credit.

As there is no overdraft should I use the switch service?

It just sounds so much easier than me having to do them all manually again.

This is the message I got from Starling (thank you @lolerzfor helping me find it in the app x)

Hello M,

We regularly review our customers' information to help keep Starling and our customers safe. After reviewing your information, we're sorry to say that we're no longer able to offer you a bank account. Because of this, we'll need to close your account on 09/07/2024.

Why we're doing this

There are several reasons why we might need to close an account. To inform our decisions, we review information from the credit reference agencies and fraud prevention agencies we've listed below. During our latest review, we found some information that concerns us. 

You're entitled to ask for a copy of the personal information held by these agencies blah blah blah

What happens now

Under the terms of your account, we can close your bank account by giving you 60 days' notice in writing. In this case, we're extending it to 90 days.

You'll now need to find another bank account with a different bank. Please make sure there is no money left in your Starling account by 09/07/2024. If there is still money left after this date, we'll move it to a holding account and you'll need to get in touch if you want to claim it.

If you have an overdraft blah blah blah (I don't have an overdraft)

We understand the decision to close your account is disappointing, and we're sorry about that. If we can help with anything else, let us know. 

Thank you.

6 minutes ago, lolerz said:

Can do, see what happens.

That sounds ominous :(

looks like you've got to do it yourself again then.

It's part of FCA guidelines that Starling won't tell you why they're closing the account as if a member of bank staff inadvertently tips a fraudster off they become complicit in the crime. It means that *no* account closures will be explained outside of generic reasons to protect bank staff.

I have been in touch with Starling this morning, explained that they want to close my account but have rejected the switch to my new account and the lady I was talking with said she couldn't see any reason why the switch would've been rejected and she will look into it asap. 

My main concern at the moment is that I change all of my direct debits etc over and then the same thing happens. I've heard Nationwide are a good bank for people with poor credit scores, so I'm looking into opening a basic account with them. 

What a huge mess this is turning out to be :( 

Starling came back to me and said they have made some changes on my account and I should now be able to use the 'switch' option. 

I have a Monzo account which I opened when I opened the Starling account, but I have not used it as yet because I was happy with Starling.

I feel like I am seriously running out of options. 

If Monzo do the same as Startling and let me set up all my direct debits and standing orders etc and then tell me they're closing my account in so many months, what do I do then? Where do I get a bank account? 

I have applied to Nationwide, got the account set up and all the details etc. Then today received an email saying sorry they were not going ahead with the account and it would be closed today. They didn't give me the option of a super basic account.

I have tried RBS and Co-op too and they did and said the same. 

I feel like a leper or something.

I have only defaulted on my loans one month.

It hasn't even shown up on my credit report yet, but these knock backs are definitely to do with my credit score because RBS said " Unfortunately, having made those checks we are unable to proceed with opening your account at this stage." 

I don't know what to do. 

I did open a Co-operative account and have all the details and even a debit card, but when I'm trying to register for online/mobile banking it is just saying for security reasons the account is locked and to call this number, which I managed to get through to the other day after holding for an hour.

I am on hold again now but with what's happened with Nationwide and RBS, I am not feeling particularly optimistic.

Any advice on where to go or what to do next? x

have you got any more historic defaults or CCJs (Say, in the last 7 years) that you think would still be showing on your credit record?

Something's not adding up here.

I think I might have had a CCJ but it was way longer than 7 years ago and I have been able to apply and get loans, credit cards etc.

I have been pretty fine with my finances until now, until this mess I managed to get myself into this year :( 

There is nothing showing on the TransUnion credit report about an old CCJ.

Is there another place I can look to see if there was one and if so how long ago? 

I have signed up to TransUnion and on there it says (in Search History):

ORGANISATION
PURPOSE
DATE
Transunion Consumer Id Check (Ml)

Identity Check for Credit
15 Apr 2024

Nationwide Building Society (Sr,Tac,Ct,Cval,R)
Nationwide Building Society Bav (Cval Ml)
Anti-Money Laundering
11 Apr 2024

Monzo Bank (Cosmos, Cr, Sa, Ar, Ct Batch)
Monzo Bank Limited 2 (Cosmos Ar)
AF
10 Apr 2024

Monzo Bank (Cosmos, Cr, Sa, Ar, Ct Batch)
Monzo Bank Limited 2 (Cosmos Cr Bsb)
Quotation Search
10 April 2024

I think AF means a financial association with someone or something, but I have just read that that could be something as simple as sharing an address with someone (which I do). 

Public Information

Details of any Bankruptcies, Insolvencies or Court Judgments that are in your name in relation to settlements of money.

Bankruptcies and Insolvencies

You do not have any Bankruptcies or Insolvencies on your credit report.

Judgments

You do not have any Judgments on your credit report.

There are no Cifas markers registered against you.

You do not have any Notices of Correction on your credit report.

Does any of this make sense?

I don't mean the information I have provided above, I mean why I am being rejected by every bank I have applied for, except Monzo (so far) :(

Every loan I have ever taken out has been paid and settled on time, I have never missed payments on things.

The only things I have outstanding at the moment are the ones I listed at the start of this thread when I completed the budget planner. 

I have just checked Experian too and there is nothing on there about CCJs or any other suspicious or adverse info that would impact me like this, other than my present situation of course.

Bankruptcy, CCJ or IVA

This includes court judgments (CCJs), debt relief orders, bankruptcies, individual voluntary arrangements (IVAs) and other public records recorded against you.

You have no public records.

GAIN (Gone Away Information Network)

Lenders use GAIN to tell each other about customers with unpaid debts. If in the past you’ve left unpaid debts when living at a previous address, you may appear on GAIN and so lenders may be less likely to give you credit.

You have no GAIN records.

Should I go to see the CAB or something? I just don't think I have the strength or brain capacity to deal with all of this. The mess I have gotten myself into is bad enough and now this on top. My head hurts. What should I do? 

It's all very horrible, I feel genuinely scared and stressed because of all this. I don't understand what is going on :(  

I have raised a dispute with Santander to see if they have done something. I have just explained my situation, what is happening and that it all seems to have started when I told Santander I was struggling, had approached StepChange and transferred my direct debits etc to Starling.

It was all going well with Starling, I actually really liked it, but now everything has just gone to !!!!!! and I feel sick to my stomach :( 

calm down and stop panicking about a nothing burger.

itll work itself out.

more later, you've done no lasting 'damage' 

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi  :) 

It isn't working itself out though, it's just getting worse :( 

I am a fish out of water here.

Do you know why this is happening and what is happening?

what isn't working out....one very small issue, the rest is going perfectly fine.

stop doing your usually running around waving arms and screaming on my god oh my god...sorry too used to you LMM:eyebrows:

even if you cant hold down a new bank account all is not lost . 

ive not seen any reports that monzo refuse people 

so go with them.

pers as i said id NOT be using any switch service, as there are debts you want to stop paying and get them defaulted BEFORE you ever think of poss might could should pay them.

its only a handful of stuff like rent/ctax/ etc that you need DD for

ive not used DD's in almost 30yrs now nor use Standing orders, i do it by BACS each month priority bills first (can take roof from over my head if not paid) there REST all get paid if/when i've had the money.

2 well 3 things id dump too or get cheaper.

cable/sat tv - ££6PCM . which i will is internet/tv/landline ? from whom that is very expensive. mine is £27PCM for 100MPS Broadband etc all in.

tv licence... who cant tell you are watching live tv even if you dont....

mobile phone £27? - go over to giffgaff no contract and as cheap as £6PCM even with mobile data (but use your home wf-fi when indoors!!)

no need to keep using @Username, everyone that posted gets an alert like you do if someone posts.

dx

and they