• Tweets

• Thank you!    It was bought on my debit card    
    • Hi. Welcome to CAG. How was the car purchased?  
    • Absolutely for the agreement they are referring to.... puts them on notice that this is going to be a uphill fight.   Andy 
    • Particular's of claim for reference only 1. the claim is for the sum of £6163.61due by the defendant under an agreement regulated by the consumer credit act 1974 for hsbc uk bank plc. Account (16 digits) 2. The defendant failed to maintain contractual payments required by the agreement and a default notice was served under s 87(1)  of the consumer credit act 1974 which as not been compiled with. 3. The debt was legally assigned to the Claimant on 23/08/23, notice on which as been given to the defendant.  4. The claim includes statutory interest under S.69 of the county courts act 1984 at a rate of 8% per annum from the date of assignment to the date of issue of these proceedings in the sum of £117.53 the Claimant claims the sum of £6281.14. Suggested defence 1. The Defendant contends the particulars of the claim are generic in nature. The Defendant accordingly sets out its case below and relies on CPR r 16.3 (3) in relation to any particular allegation to which a specific response has not been made. 2. The claimant has not complied with paragraph 3 of the PAPDC (Pre action protocol) failed to serve a letter of claim pre claim pursuant to PAPDC changes of the 1st of October 2017. It is respectfully requested that the court take this into consideration pursuant 7.1 PAPDC. 3. Paragraph 1 is noted. I have in the past had financial dealings but do not recognise this specific account number or recollect any outstanding debt and have therefore requested clarification. 4. Paragraph 2 is denied. I have not been served with a default notice pursuant to the consumer credit act 1974. 5. Paragraph 3 is denied. i am unaware of any legal assignment or notice of assignment. A copy of assignment was sent by Overdales solicitors when acknowledgement of receipt of CPR request was received, but this was not the original.   6. Paragraph 4 is denied. Neither the original creditor or the assignee have served notice pursuant to sec86c of the Credit Consumer Act 1974 Notice of Sums in Arrears and therefore prevented from charging interest on debt regulated by the CCA1974. 7. The defendant submitted a request for a copy of the alleged agreement pursuant to s78 CCA 1974. The claimant has acknowledged receipt of request but has failed to comply. The claimant has failed to provide any evidence of balance or Default Notice requested by CPR 31.14 8. It is therefore denied with regards to defendant owing any monies to the claimant. therefore the claimant is put to strict proof to:  a.  Show how the defendant has entered into an agreement with HSBC. b.  Show and evidence the nature of breach and service of a Default notice pursuant to section 87 (1) CCA 1974. c.  Show and quantify how the defendant has reached the amount claimed for. d.  Show how the claimant has the legal right, either under statute or equity  to issue a claim. 8.  As per civil procedure rule 16.5 (4) it is expected claimant prove the allegation that the money is owed. 9.  Until such time the claimant can comply to a section 78 request he is not entitled, while the default continues, to enforce the agreement 10. By reasons of the facts and matters set out above, it is denied that the claimant is entitled to the relief claimed or any relief.     .
    • OK, well rereading the court orders from March, in the cold light of day rather than when knackered late at night, it is quite clear that on 25 June there will only be a preliminary hearing about Laura representing her son.  Nothing more. It's lazy DCBL who haven't read things properly and have stupidly sent their Witness Statement early. Laura & I had already been working on a WS, and here it is.  It needs tweaking now after reading the rubbish that DCBL sent and after all of LFI's comments.  But the "meat" is there. Defendant's WS - version 1.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
        • Thanks
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Misuse of Freedom Pass - 1st Letter received and running out of time

LAST NAME
FIRST NAME
DOB
UK ADDRESS
NUMBER
EMAIL
DATE

Dear TFL,

There is no excuse for my actions and behaviour.

I am writing to you to say that I have been dishonest as I have used my Partner's Freedom Pass which is of high value, and from this incident I realise and learnt that a Freedom Pass cost the Local Authority of £25,000 per year, per person, to issue these out to people who genuinely need them; the elderly, vulnerable and disabled in our society. What I have done is essentially costing Taxpayers' money and abused their trust. I am also a working taxpayer with many years left to contribute, so my actions are of extreme wrong doing and extreme stupidity.

I understand what I have done has caused the loss of revenue for TFL, which this affects all stakeholders associated, down to the platform staff who are hard working people to keep this service operating. My inexcusable actions is also a contributing factor to the increase in transport fares for all honest passengers as they have to pick up the shortfall and it is not fair to them and they shouldn't be covering the costs every year.

I deeply and wholeheartedly regret what I have done and I would like to sincerely apologise to TFL and all their employees who provide us all a vital service, the Local Authority as they are funding the Freedom Pass, and most importantly to the Taxpayers and all honest paying passengers.

I will take this as an extremely important life lesson learnt the hardest way, and I reassure you that this will not happen again and will pay my fair share to the transport industry like all honest passengers who uses TFL's services. My actions is to now to get a season ticket which would suit me best for my journeys and travels, other alternatives is for me to carry an Oyster Card with loaded credit at all times, contactless bank cards and some cash as backups, to ensure that I pay all my future travels.

I accept my actions and responsibilities where I am ashamed and embarrassed of myself and own doing.

Please could I ask if you would allow me to pay the outstanding fares that is owed and your administration costs involved in order to reach an out of court settlement. Undoubtedly I have wasted TFL's time and resources, and have affected your revenue income.

I am once again deeply and remorsefully sorry of what I have done, and I apologise to all parties that has been affected with my actions. 

Yours sincerely,
CinamonSpice 

• Like 1

After 'Dear TfL', put their reference number like I assume you would for a work letter.

And I would add a first paragraph acknowledging their letter of [date].

Minor point, in the UK we would normally put first name and then last name on a letter. If you think they're hard to tell apart, you could put your last name in block capitals. Are you also sending back their questionnaire on the back of their letter?

Hopefully @dx100uk and @Grotesque will be able to have a look at this as well.

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

HB, 

Noted to put first paragraph saying "Thank you for your letter dated 26th January 2024." after "Dear TFL,". 

Thank you for reminding me to put the reference case number.

I was following the letter's order/format for the required requested details, the questionnaire on the back of the letter. (Aware UK we start with First Name then Surname)

I plan to email as no printer, so I think I will type out the answer on email for the questionnaire:

"2. If you accept committing an offence, please provide any exceptional reasons that you may feel are relevant and evidence to support this, as to you TFL should not proceed with a prosecution".

So my email will look like this, below.

LAST NAME
FIRST NAME
DOB
UK ADDRESS
NUMBER
EMAIL
DATE
REFERENCE CASE NUMBER

Dear TFL,

Thank you for your letter dated 26th January 2024.

...Body of my letter etc etc 

...Yours sincerely

Did you send that off, Cinnamon?

Please let us know when you get a response, whatever they say. It often takes three letters to persuade a transport company to reach an OOC decision so you may have to write again.

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

HB, yes emailed off Sunday evening.

You said it often takes three letters/emails to persuade to reach an OOC decision??? Oh my. What do I say in those upcoming letters then? I mean how can they be persuaded? Are they just processing all cases to go court as it's their company procedures? 

That was a good letter, @CinamonSpice, don't panic. It was understanding, empathetic, and sufficiently apologetic that you are in with a good shot. Considering the severity of the case, I think TfL may well find themselves able to... reprioritise, shall we say. 

As to other letters: cross those bridges when they've hatched. Remember, every time they say something else, that gives you something to refocus on. Hence the multiple letters from TfL's point of view: there may be something you have inadvertently omitted from this one (I don't think you have, btw), so they will want to make sure you understand that something else before signing off on you.

Future letters are basically future-proofing.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi, just want to let you know that I have received a letter in the post today. Dated 22nd March 2024. 

"Thank you for responding to our enquiry letter. We are currently reviewing this case and we will contact you as soon as we have reached a decision. 

Yours sincerely

Investigator Prosecutor"

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All,

I just got in from work and received a letter dated 24 April 2024.

"We've sent you a Single Justice Procedure notice because you have been charged with an offence, on the Transport for London Network."

"You need to tell us whether you are guilty or not guilty. This is called making your plea."

• 3 weeks later...

I'm sending back to plea guilty and not appear in court.

Nothing to add really.

Then complete the form where it ask for my finances, monthly income, employment status and monthly out goings.

why? do you not want to show genuine remorse face to face to the judge? it cant hurt you, nor cost you.

also...

On 25/04/2024 at 18:26, honeybee13 said:

Hi.

Could you post up what they've sent please so we can see what the charge is? Cover up your name and address and their reference number.

HB

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

have you got a TIC sheet with a list of journeys for you to admit too as well?

i would strongly suggest you attend court (tick that option) state at 4.2, to show my genuine remorse face to face to the judge.

since your last pleading letter , have you sent anymore to TfL?

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

No TIC sheet with journeys history as I can see within the letter pack. Should there be one? Maybe they didn't look into it thoroughly? 

No other pleading letter, only the one from above.