Solidworks/CJCH sols - copyright infringement threats - call with mediator UK

I really need some help.

I wish I'd read this forum before I responded. Really need help - I feel scared and helpless.

For some background

me and my friends wanted to make some cool products from waste scrap materials that actually looked cool - i.e. metal cabinets from scrap metal, tables from recovered wood, tv stands from bike parts etc. For this we used a free trial of Solidworks to see how the products would look.

I then decided to register a company and apply for a small government grant to work with a local university (UK) to help with the designs and see if a business like this would be actually feasible. we only had one laptop of our own that was capable of running CAD and one of the students downloaded a free version of solidworks on it which we all used  - whether he knew it was a pirated copy or not we dont know (he's since moved and we have no contact) but either way it appears it was 

i got an email several months later regarding MISUSE OF UNAUTHORIZED COPY OF SOLIDWORKS. I assumed the copy was an extra one from the university but apparently you cant do this. When I read the email I removed all versions of the software and replied to the email saying "sorry didnt know there was an illegal copy being used on this laptop - have removed it and it wont happen again".

Their reply email said they seek £30k damages but a call with a mediator may help us find a resolution.

I reluctantly called, explained the situation said didnt know and that all software was removed. They didn't seem to care said that they'd reduce the damages £15k. Said I must buy 2 premium licenses.

I explained I cant pay this, surely it cant be my fault if someone else uses my laptop, they said didnt matter as it was issued through my registered companies name and I am the only named person on the company. I have been trying to get a business loan to pay for this, as I was petrified of going to court and being sued £15k or more. also said they would postpone the fine until I got the money, I was unable in the end to get the loan.

They are now threatening legal proceedings if I don't pay up.

I've never been in a situation like this before and don't have anyone I can turn to for advice or who can help me pay for court fees if it comes to that.

As such I even put my car up for sale encase I need the money for court fees should they take me to court.

I've been riddled with anxiety since getting the emails and calls from the mediator.

My doctor has prescribed me diazepam to help me sleep as its on my mind 24/7 as been worrying about going to court, having to pay this insane £15k fine and not being able to pay my bills.

I would like to get this company off the ground as its for a good cause and when we get funding or a loan I will be buying a copy of their software but right now we are just not there yet. 

What can they do and what should I do?

Please help as this has been eating me up and I feel ill.

Having read through loads and loads of the threads I can't see a case exactly like this hence thought would post it and thought it might help anyone else who's in this sticky not so good situation.

:lol::lol: they got you worried using every trick in the book.

the mediators are FAKE . merely a debt collection agency and a DCA has ZERO LEGAL POWERS 

you ignore everyone.

no one has ever been taken to court in all the years since this CJCH started this money making scheme and we started getting posts like yours.

there nothing anyone can do to you

as simple as that. REALLY!!

IGNORE

dx

• Like 1

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

As my site team colleague above has said, don't worry. These people are a bunch of bullies. Even if it went to court – which it won't – any copyright infringement damages would be a fraction of what they are trying to frighten you into paying.
Who's the mediator? Have you got any names?

I doubt whether it was really an independent mediator. It was probably somebody working for the firm but presenting themselves the mediator.

With the incident know what information you have about this.

See if you can find some other CAD software – only because it might give you some sense to know that they have lost another potential customer in the future.

I really hope your business succeeds. It sounds very interesting and imaginative. If you have photographs that you prepared to share them with be very interested to see them. Maybe a good idea to print a watermark across them so they don't get ripped off from here! – Or anywhere else.

Obviously, be careful about infringing copyright the don't give into this kind of bullying threats. If you have issues then come here we may be able to help you. And of course when you develop your own items, be careful about your own copyright – and if people do for some reason or other copy your own designs, be a bit more gentle with them then these CJCH solicitors are being with you. I imagine that some of them must have been students themselves once and they went to college and they probably never imagined that they would end up doing this kind of thing.

I wonder if they have told the children how they make their money during the day.

Dx100UK and BankFodder - thank you so much for this! I felt a glimmer of hope when found these threads and feeling like there is light at the end of the tunnel.

The mediators name is Maria Vinces. I thought once I talked to her to explain the situation she would understand and realize we are not trading, not designed any real products using the software and that I don't even have a fraction of what theyre asking for in own personal account let alone the company one. The second that I was told we had an unlicensed version I took it off there and then.

At first I asked how much to buy a license and she said would be £7.5k which then changed to £10k and then to £15k after she said she made "a mistake" on the pricing as I needed 2 licenses. Based on her first value I entered £7.5k as the amount required for our loan but after she changed it to £15k I cancelled the loan and tried to do another application but the window closed for that particular low interest business loan.

God I wished I found this forum before then.

I then spoke with an IT guy at my work who said to hold off until I know if its me personally or the registered limited company they are making the claim against. He said that they could prove its my laptop no issues since same laptop was used for the original free version and that's probably where they got my details from. I don't even have a VPN because quite frankly I've never felt I needed one as not doing anything dodgy online and its just an extra subscription expense a month. 

Because of this I feel they think the case against me is clear but the reality is that I didn't know the copy I was using was not authorized and I've not gained anything financially from having had it.

Couple of last questions

1. Do you know if its me they will try to take to court or the registered limited company? (if they decide to take it to court).

2. Has there been any cases you've heard of where they have taken folk to court in the UK?

3. Will I get debt collectors round at my door or just letters?

Sorry for all the questions, just want to make sure I'm not making the situation worse if I ignore them.

1.they dont take anyone to court. 

2.nope (3rd time now)

3. a DCA is NOT A BAILIFF and have ZERO legal powers on ANY debt - No matter what its TYPE.

ignore and ignore , then ignore against.

next time never ever ever use the phone to talk about a debt with anyone - no matter who they are or what the fake debt is about. they'll lie and try and scam you out of money.

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Thanks so much - I feel like a massive weight has been lifted off my shoulders.

When I googled her name, I seen her title pop up and just assumed she was as legit as she said and believed everything she said. In hindsight I should have done more digging and found this forum.

I will ignore and let them be. I will also take your advice and see what other CAD softwares are out there because now when I see the solidworks logo or hear people talking about it, it just instantly gives me a horrid feeling inside.

Been through months of hell and sleepless nights thinking about how I was going to pay this debt of £15k and how unfair I felt the whole situation was, given I genuinely didnt know any better and was trying to do something good for the planet. I offered loads of ways to resolve which were above and beyond but she just simply wanted the money no matter what.

Shame as used Solidworks in a previous job so know how to navigate it and do think its a cool software. Didn't realise it was as pricey as it is but now that I can close this chapter I can look forward and focus on the getting the business going again.

Can't thank you both enough for taking the time to help a guy out. I know the internets the internet but if ever in Scotland then dm as I would like to buy you a beer... or a hundred!

Good karma coming your way for sure. Thanks again. I will keep you updated on how things escalate from here. Fingers crossed this is the end of it.

no harm if/when you are up and business running ....going to them for legit software use/licence if its what you know how to use.

and they

On 20/01/2024 at 17:22, DinoDave said:

Can't thank you both enough for taking the time to help a guy out. I know the internets the internet but if ever in Scotland then dm as I would like to buy you a beer... or a hundred!

If you're really that intent, there's a donate button further down the page.😁

We're all volunteers on the site, but there are overheads to keep it up and running.

We're only still here with the help of donations.

Also, do please pass the word around about us.

• I agree 1

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group The National Consumer Service

Will keep you updated as this thing develops and let you know what they say next.

Donated enough for a couple of pints for now but will send 10x this as this things fizzles out with them and I'm confident its the end.

Time will tell... 🤞

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Not heard anything further from them.

Now that we’re getting some funding, we are looking to rent the software for a 12 month period. They do rent for 12 months for like £2.5k OR license and 2 year for £8k. If know going to be using them long long term then works out cheaper after few years but since I’m a start up I’m opting for the 12 month rental on first instance.

Wondering if that Maria blacklisted my startup from getting Solidworks unless pay them the ridiculous fine we dont deserve.

Will see when apply for one next month. Will keep you updated.

DinoDave 🦖 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

it is not a fine, they cant fine anyone, only a magistrate in a magistrates court can fine anyone.

dx

and they

Also unlikely that they blacklist you

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread