Charity sacked me just before Christmas after I complained to trustees

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 117 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I used to work for a charity and they were holding an investigation into my conduct.  During the investigation I discovered thst the boss was not running the charity correctly.

I wrote to the trustees to tell them this and then 2 days later I am sacked.

The next day I get a letter from my boss saying he was passed the letter from the trustees and investigated his own actions and found nothing wrong (shock horror).

I am fairly sure the CEO of a charity shouldn't investigate themselves after someone complained  am I right?

I want them to look into my complaints correctly as I think it's doing the charity harm but they don't seem to be taking it seriously at all.

The sacking is what it is  I've been there less than two years.

Hello, welcome to CAG.

I'm flagging your thread for Emmzzi who's great on employment problems. I'm not sure that a CEO should investigate himself but @Emmzzi will know if she"s around at the moment.

Please don't do this yet but I wonder if a charity that isn't being run properly should be reported to the Charity Commissioners.

Best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

3 hours ago, DrayHorse20 said:

During the investigation I discovered thst the boss was not running the charity correctly.

In what way?

Please clarify what help you are seeking here.

Do you want to challenge your own dismissal?

Hello,

if you want protection from a whistleblowing activity you generally need to invoke the whistle blowing procedure or legislation at the time. Otherwise, you are complaining about your boss - which generally does not end well. They are, after all, the boss. The board will not be keen to replace them unless it's essential.

Did you do this?

• Thanks 1

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

Posted (edited)

Mainly not following own policies, issues around safeguarding. 

I wrote a 5 page letter outlining everything go the trustees and sent it to the head trustee. 

I think he did nothing and handed to the CEO. 

Certainly some of the issues I raised are still issues, for example a video that shows some kids he doesn't have parental consent from appear on the website for the charity.

I think I want to know, is it acceptable to be told the investigation into him is finished given he did it himself.

I thought maybe under whistle Blowing protection I might be able to claim unlawful dismissal but I'm not sure.

Edited by dx100uk
unnecessary previous post quote removed

Posted (edited)

Do you mean I had to say in my letter that I was invoking the whistlebowling legislation?

Edited by dx100uk

Yes, that is what I mean. "This is a report under XXX policy."

Otherwise it just reads a retaliatory for the investigation against you. Which - would you have raised the concerns if you were not under investigation yourself? Sounds like not.

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

12 minutes ago, Mycathasfleas said:

No disrespect intended, and apologies if I remember incorrectly. This appears similar to a post three weeks ago. 

If this is the post you have in mind it is by a different poster and the situation is not quite the same.

https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/463711-managermisconduct-investigation-but-hes-not-independent-or-capable-now-summary-dismissal/#comment-5236688

Posted (edited)

I had unofficially raised the issues before but was ignored, this was the first time I'd done it officially.

Is it right abou the investigation into himself though and not actually doing anything about the issues I raised?

Edited by dx100uk

It's up to the trustees whether they think his response is acceptable. If they don't they can appoint someone else; but at this point the decision and the risk sits with them. If you are looking for a different legal recourse, you are not going to find one, I am afraid.

The main concern seems to be safeguarding - you could report to your local authority. I would expect them to simply require retrospective permission for the photographs. 

• Like 2