Bathroom fitter problems

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 163 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hope you can advise please. I am in a state of shock and panic.

I contracted a bathroom/kitchen fitter - who I had used a few months ago to replace some kitchen wortops, sink, cooker and additional kitchen cupboards ( which I suppled) of which he did a good job so I thought he was reliable. He charged me labour only £250 per day. £750 total.

This new work was to take out the bath and replace with a walk in shower tray, mixer shower and glass side panel(He would supply these). Tile the shower area (I would supply the tiles) This work took place only four weeks ago.

He said the work would take four days it only took three.

We discussed the shower tray. He said he would supply a none slip tray. I did not know what this was and he could not describe it. I said as long as the tray is completely smooth, has no ridges, raised areas or is not textured then that is fine but it has to be smooth to allow me to slide my feet. There is a reason that it had to be smooth. He assured me it would be smooth. All this was confirmed in writing. Cost £2460. 

He said I did not need for me to move out as he could work around me using the bathroom. After a few hours of me interupting him I decided I would leave him to it and go and stay with my daughter for the week. He phoned me to say all was complete and he was going on holiday for the next 10 days. He emailed me his invoice.

I came back to find that he had installed a very textured shower tray. A mixer shower that only had an on an off and no water control force, no control on the shower spray. It justs blast you with a jet of water. The thermostatic control would not let me overide other than a couple of degrees so cannot get a comfortable temp. The shower bar and riser are not even level.

In addition, All the sealant around the area is uneven and thick and extremely ugly.

I emailed him to say that he had gone against my instructions and installed a textured shower tray which upon first use caused me to fall as my feet stuck to it,   I was not happy with the quality of the shower performance ( it turned out he got it fron B and Q for £80.) considering the cost of the quote and his usual labour charge I expected a good quality shower.  

I asked what he was going to do to rectify the issues and in good faith, I sent him a cheque for £1500 as part payment leaving only £960 outstanding.

He responded a couple of weeks ago after he came back off holiday by saying he will not replace either the mixer shower or the tray. I have to get used to the textured tray and he wants the rest of his money. Meanwhile, I have been quite ill with covid, had several days in hospital, came out two days ago and not sure what to do. I am still very unwell. My daughter contacted him on my behalf to alert him that I was ill and could he wait to discuss the situation until I was out of hospital.

This afternoon I have just received an email from a debt collection agency stating I have not paid this person and the debt had now risen to £4200 which they want paying on top of the £1500 he already has. I only withheld £946If I dont pay this within 7 days they will start court proceedings.

This means that the job costing £2460 has now risen to £5700  and he has not supplied what I stipulated, left me with a cheap, poor functioning shower, some shoddy finish and will not agree any rectification and will not discuss it.

So now he/debt collection agency want an extra £3240 because I have not paid the £960 I have held back.

Yes, May sound strange in that a non slip tray would be better but it is not. Just the oposite

I have muliple Sclerosis and cant lift my legs/feet up enough.. I can’t feel my feet properly so although I can stand with support I need to ‘shuffle’. The weird, textured surface caused suction when wet and I fell because my feet stuck to the floor.

Having said that, it should really not matter why I need it. I expressly stated I need a smooth surface and I followed this up in an email to him to ensure he understood.

Don't worry about it. If there is no court judgement against you then nothing at all can be done.

Please will you post up the letter you have received in PDF format

Also you will need to get an independent inspection and a quotation for the work involved bringing it out to the original required specification

Yes, was there another letter?