• Tweets

• Yeah I figured, unlikely I'll need credit anyway mortgage all paid off etc so I'll take that on the chin and learn from the experience. Probably would've beaten that too had I remembered the protocol, first time ever going through the process though sob it wasn't familiar to me  Oh well  
    • This is my slightly amended WS taking on board your previous comments, any suggestions for amendments would be most appreciated.  Thank you for you time.   1.        I am the Defendant in this matter. 2.        The facts in this statement come from my personal knowledge. 3.        I became aware of original Judgement following a routine credit check on or around 14th September 2020. 4.        The alleged Letter of Claim dated 7 January 2020 was served to a previous address which I moved out of in 2018, no effort was made to ascertain my correct address. 5.        The Judgement debt was not familiar to me so I began investigations to ascertain what the debt related to and how such a figure had been equated in any event. 6.        I made immediate contact with the Court, the Claimant Solicitors and the Claimants thereafter, asking them to provide me with a copy of the original loan agreement but this was not provided to me.  7.        I sent a Data Subject access Request to Barclays but no agreement was provided – See appendix 1 which details the timeline of communication between myself and Barclaycard as well as copies of correspondence between us. 8.        I do not admit to entering an agreement with Barclaycard in 2000. 9.       The claimant has failed to comply with the additional directions ordered by District Judge Davis and therefore this claim should be automatically struck out.  10.    The claimants have failed to disclose a true executed copy of the original agreement they refer to within the particulars of this claim. They are not entitled to enforce the agreement pursuant to section 78.6 (a) of the Credit Consumer Act 1974 12.   The reconstituted standard Barclaycard agreement that the claimant has included in the court bundle does not satisfy any CCA request and so the claimant is and remains in default of my CCA request and therefore unable to enforce the alleged agreement. 13.  The claimants have failed to provide proof the assignment, such as a deed of assignment. 14.  The claimant has failed to provide a statement of account setting out how the alleged debt accrued under that agreement 15.   Despite numerous requests to the claimant, I have still not seen any evidence, such as an original agreement or deed of assignment, that substantiates the claimant’s assertion that I owe the debt to the claimant, nor evidence of how the debt was accrued. 16.   As per CPR 1.4(2)(a) the court encourages parties to cooperate with each other in the conduct of proceedings in order to try and save time and costs for the parties and to also save the time and resources of the court however, despite vast attempts at mediation the claimants have been most unreasonable and have remained unwilling to mediate. I believe that the facts stated in this Witness Statement are true.  I understand that proceedings for contempt of court may be brought against anyone who makes, or causes to be made, a false statement in a document verified by a statement of truth without an honest belief in its truth.
    • A set aside application costs £275 which is more than the judgement so not worth it. Not that they would grant a set aside anyway.  Set asides are granted, for example, to people who moved and didn't get the court papers, so have a genuine reason for not defending.  Forgetting doesn't count. Your only choices are to pay up within 30 days, or defy the court and not pay.  If the latter, we've never seen a PPC enforce judgement for a single ticket, ever, you would get away without paying - but you would have a CCJ and a knackered credit file for six years.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Who's responsible for a rise in the water table?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6241 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

This is a strange one but thought I'd see if anyone was privvy to this info.

Basically, bought a house in a seaside area in Feb this year. (Lived in the city beforethat so never lived in this region). Got a mortgage valuation which didn't show anything up but after 10 years exp in property decided the gable end needed checking and got a structural survery privately. Neither reports stated that the water table could be an issue - in fact neither report mentioned the water table even though it's rising is common place here.

10 months on and many renovations later we have what we thought was a flood in the cellar. couldn't work out where it was coming from but found out from a friend it's due to the water table (water levels in the ground rise). the water has come through the concrete (which was already laid) to about 5" ruining 40sqm of marble (cheap on ebay!!), tools etc. we're been here 10 months and had many viewings as far back as 15 months ago and nothing like this has happened before.

Anyway due to the flooding called the insurance who told us it;s a natural thing so not covered unless the dampproof membrane has failed - we don't know if we have one and to find out we need to dig through the concrete. In other words the insurance wont help.

I appreciate the law prevades on caveat empetor when buying a house but should the water table rising not have been mentioned somewhere along the lines to us (I can bore anyone for hours about structural capacities & calculations, cavity walls etc but this doesn't factor in my knowledge!).

We're estimating around £1k in damage plus £5k to get the membrane re/fitted. It's a lot of money to pay out when we haven't been made aware of such a thing.

One thing that may be helpful is there are 3 rooms in the cellar - the hall way with stairs leading down, a back and front room. Only the hallway and back room have flooded - the front room is dry so to speak.

Advice/knowledge would be truly appreciated!

I appreciate the surveyor's report you commissioned as a result of your concerns about the gable-end will probably be hedged around with "if's", "and's" and "maybe's" ,(not to mention "Terms and Conditions" too).

Is the part of the cellar affected by the rising water table beneath that gable-end? Is there a possible connection between the two? If so, then maybe you could consider approaching the surveyor?

I would have thought that a professionally qualified surveyor, practicing in an area where, as you say, the water-table is know to rise and fall, would have at least mentioned this in the survey, if only as a part of a general introduction to the survey.

However, as a straight answer to the question posed in the thread title, I suspect it is a 'natural phenomenon' that can occur almost anywhere.

Jimbo 44 - always happy to help, but always willing to learn from being corrected too!!! Whilst any advice given may be based upon personal experience, please always be sure you seek guidance from a professional in the particular field.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark, but a large group of professionals built the Titanic.

A 'click' on the scales is always appreciated if I have helped. Many Thanks!

quote: Neither reports stated that the water table could be an issue - in fact neither report mentioned the water table even though it's rising is common place here.

You seem to be aware that this was a potential risk, by mentioning the problem is common. Therefore, dont they have zones of risk to flooding? In which case surely the estate agents should have mentioned something about it. Surveyors though are supposed to recognise such things and point them out to you, as they have special instruments to measure damp etc and presumably there would have been evidence that this has occured before. Id enquire at the local council to see what they know about the problem in the area and ask the neighbours if they have the same dilema. They may have had to deal with the same problem and offer you some advice.

Joncris - unfortunately the property was left in a will and then sold to us and the beneficiary had stripped the house bare and left the sale up to the solicitor therefore leaving no details of previous guarantees, work done etc behind.

The only other info I have is that the adjoining property's cellar is also flooded. The nearer the sea the worse it get apparently. 1/2 mile down the road a friend of ours has their cellar rising to 2ft in water sometimes. I didn't specifically raise a query on this with either the estate agent or my structural surveyor as I didn't know about such things! Only from whining at friends about it did I find out it happens to a lot of properties here.

Damp was located in the cellar and a damp course in the walls was iinstalled but nothing was mentioned with regards to the floor or any impending flooding!!

tedsbird are you a property developer. If so it just became harder in that you would be a person expected to have special knowledge. Not having a survey is/was a big mistake. Having said that the roof repair should be guaranteed & if the work was not carried out properly you will have claim for all damages against the agents or whoever employed them.

Also you need to see a copy of the questionair your solicitor sent to the vendors representatives to see if it enquired about the water table &/or flooding.

In fact ask for the whole file as it belongs to you assuming you have paid the fees that is.

no, not a devleoper but I have owned quite a few houses and worked in an estate agents. I did have surverys, both via the mortgage company and my own structural survey. there isn't any damage to the roof nor has it been repaired. the gable wall was tied in and anchor bolted but nothing to the roof.

i've checked all the paperwork and the water table isn't mentioned at all neither is flooding.

I just wondered really if anyone could lay this at the insurance company or the council! or even better somewhere where i could get a grant or something cheap!

tedsbird

In that case if it is & always has been a common problem in the area you may have a claim against your conveyencer as they should have asked the question when the list was submitted to the vendors.

The floor membrane should have been extended part way up the walls. Also I think you need to revisit you insurance policy as to my thinking you are covered.

My last property was just 400 metres from the shore, and the water table was not a problem within the house (no rooms sub-ground) however there was sand under the floors. We dug 1 5ft hole and put in a linear damp detector. We could easily track the twice daily tides as the water table rose and fell in sync. (By around 6 inches). There is every chance the membrane (if fitted) has ruptured, but finding who to blame will be impossible. Do remember, if you claim on insurance, they will flag this fact to the Insurance Hunter database, making any switch of provider difficult, as full disclosure will be required.

Thank you all for your responses.

We;ve drilled a 5" hole through the concrete and there is a plastic membrane with sand underneath (and some water too!). Called the insurance yesterday who said we need to get a professional out (but couldn't tell us which professional) who could investigate and explain why the membrane had ruptured to ascertain whether the reason would be an insured peril!!!!!

Would I get a dampproofing company out who tank cellars as part of their business or what? I'm insured with morethan who are not more than helpful. They wouldn't advise who to get which could result in them saying they're not happy with the report and they wouldn't say what was or wasn't an 'insured peril' either. They asked me to get a report faxed over and they would take it from there. Never mind all the damaged stuff. They also mentioned that either way I would have to have this resolved as the mortgage company would insist it is sorted out - which is fair enough.

I'm not overly concerned regarding switching insurance companies as once the problem is rectified it shouldn't pose an issue in future so long as the work is guaranteed.

We're not in a conservation area either.

ACT OF GOD

been there wore the teeshirt.

I was renovating an old TSB Bank into flats in Bootle,

The basement "Vault" was prone to flooding during high tide.

So TSB (then) had membranes fitted all around basement (TANKED) correct terminology,

Now a row of terraced house`s were connected at the uphill side of this old bank,and because of the TANKING the building became a form of DAM.

and being the bottom of a hill,a good DAM.

So after removing some masonry to inspect after neighbours had complained to enviromental Health, I seen that water was building up to approx 5ft ,then backflooding into next doors basement,and so on along the row.

So Env Health thought they had a case (against TSB) who had works done 10 years prev, but alas (water was saline) mersey estuary,on certain high tides, with good rain "water table overflowed" and judge bounced it,

So 1 of the neighbours tried sueing surveyer only been there 2 years, and as its not a persistant common fault and wasn`t visable at time of survey

the judge bounced that claim as well along the ACT OF GOD LINES

and building propertys in underground streambeds the builder might be at fault (though 100 years ago)

i doubt the builders still alive :-x .

ps you will probally find the water is either seeping through brickwork, or backing up the drains "if as you say a membranes fitted to concrete" though this core hole will certainly be a future problem now", being so near to the beach i`d opt for drains.

and are you sure no pits "landfill sites ,have been filled in in the last 5 years or so, as ive seen this here in M\Cr,an old claypit filled

in,water table rose 12ins in 2 years.

Dave, that wasn't that far from me! I used to work in the club opposite those flats! I'm about 1/2 mile from Southport - in Birkdale.

There is a soak away drain about a metre from where the flooding starts. But these were all cleaned up when we added to it and had the gable end re-done and an extension built. I don't fancy the possibility of having them inspected to see if there is a break as not only will it cost a fortune but we've had the area all block paved and I know the insurance will not cover that due to previous experience.

My main problem now is getting this sorted on the insurance. I pay enough for it each year and I've got accidental and every other cover available! They haven't sent any t&c's to state what is covered and what isn't covered for the buildings - just the schedule.

I;m thinking of getting the structural surveyor back to see what he thinks. i doubt he would have been aware of it as the cellar has been dry for the 10 months or so we've had it and the 4 months it took to purchase the property it was also dry.

Just thinking tho, we;ve had a damp course to the brick work done and a full damp inspection - had it been long standing wouldn't it have shown up then? Could the membrane have ruptured do to the extentive amount of building work we've had done? In which case would the insurance pay out?

This is one complicated scenario!!

The DPC Co survey"should have shown dampness in bricks" as being a cellar though unless tanked there will always be damp present.

The floor/membrane failure could probally be cured by asphalt flooring

(cheapest option). as for 10months with no visable sign of damp,

The bank i worked on had nearly 10 years of no sign.after tanking.

Its took that long for bricks to perish enough to become absorbant,or

as i more likely suspect a drain failure, (its the sand thats got me thinking this), sands waterproof so when mixed with water, it doesn`t absord it,

it becomes it. and flows away.now with drains resting on this and the void created by the sand erosion under drains (they tend to break) and being a cellar drain (below ground level) water tends to make its way back up the drain.

If i was you i`d aquire a 4in drain bung (to seal OFF DRAINgrid top

Get 1 from hire shop,and a sump pump (probally cost you £50 ish for weekend) Plug drain with bung,pump water to an external drain (these will be on a different line and level)after level has gone to bore hole, water will flow from brickwork for a few hours (if this slows down) take pump back

and keep bung :o ,as its the drain, say you cant find it and it`ll cost you about a tenner.

and dont spill water down there as youve nolonger got a drain.

tedsbird

The 'Insured Peril' refers to all of the circumstances as listed in the policy terms.

If it includes flooding then you should be covered. Also if your insurer want's you to have the cellar checked then they should pay for it. Speak to your solicitor

Apparently not! i spoke to the insurers today who said they can reasonably request further information to ascertain if the claim is an insured peril. Their request for further information is in the form of a report from a professional in that trade. Even if the water came from a drain then they would expect me to call in the enironmental health who would then advise if it came from a soak away or from the main drains. This is highly unlikely as we're having really bad rain at the moment and the cellar isn't getting worse and we've got new main drains.

A friend in the trade called today and said this is either the water table rising above the membrane and penetrating the bricks/cement or when we;ve had work done they've disturbed the membrane. Either way we're not covered on the insurance!! I;ll need to make a few more bank charge claims to pay for this one!!!

They are entitled to ask questions but they are not entitled to ask you to go to the costly expense of finding the cause. They should be doing that themselves or agreeing to meet your agreed costs before making a decision.

As this appears to be a costly matter & will affect any resale see a lawyer NOW!