Who's responsible for a rise in the water table?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6257 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

We have a development!

Firstly I got in touch with the structural surveyor who did a report for me when I purchased the house. He said that although there was damp present there wasn't any evidence of there being a potential problem therefore it wasn't mentioned. He did offer to come and inspect for a hefty fee of £250 plus VAT which I promptly declined.

We bought a pump as Dave L suggested and spent two days (at 160 litres per minute) pumping saline water out. Only to find it flooding back in!

Anyway managed to see teh neighbour with her arm shoved down a manhole on her driveway. Apparently as the properties are built on an angle the soakway pipes run from the back garden to the front, under my cellar (her's mirrors mine) then mine crosses the boundary wall at the front and joins hers and runs out into the main road (or so i gather). Over a period of 3 years or so the pipe fills up with silt and the water backs up and starts flooding both cellars. When she has time she unblocks it and the cellar drains - as it has done within 12 hours!!!

Spoke to the insurance who said they will now cover for the contents but not to remedy the situation as it is classed as a design fault. Think I'm going to look for someone to inspect the soakaways and get a map on this one. I can't have this happening every few years because she doesn't have the time to maintain her side of the drains! Any further advice anyone?

Sorry - also John Cris:

The insurers stated the water coming in was classed as 'ingress of water' and initially they based the claim on this and wouldn't pay out. I checked the insured perils and they were right. Now the claim has changed to a 'design fault' and again it's not what we're covered for. We've had a quote to make the cellar dry and pumps fitted etc and they're quoting in the region of £15k. In my opinion if the cellar floods it affects the bricks (as in they are already crumbling on the steps where the water flows in). This is potentially hazardous to the foundations. Could the mortgage company force us to fix it as the insurance co are obliged to inform them of any claims?

• 2 months later...

Just an update for those who read and helped on my thread: contacted the insurance company and insisted that they send a loss adjuster out to inspect the damage etc which they did. turns out next door's soak away which is attached to mine (but goes over to her property) was blocked. Insurance got a drainage company out to remedy! Even if that wasn't the reason they paid out on the contents (well replaced most of the stuff). Things they couldn't replace they sent payment minus the VAT until receipts are provided for them. As soon as the shopping is done, we'll get the rest. Not looking forward to next years insurance quote though!

thanks to all x