• Tweets

• should have come here first really. What you requested was a load of irrelevant twaddle. What was the original debt? Have you moved since taking it out? If TM Legal are chasing, that should means that Perch own it now? Did you get the letter of claim by email or post? You should kill the emails immediately.   
    • sorry I have been confused by Statute Barred meaning. I thought with Statute Barred the debt cannot be chased 6 years after you have stopped paying.  Originally I set up a payment arrangement with all the companies around 2008 when things went horribly wrong. At that time the payment arrangement was with the original creditors.  I still have one of the original creditors who I pay each month (Cap1). I thought that if you make a payment arrangement you have to stick to that situation throughout. Also, MDR (Moorcroft) have been taking a monthly payment on behalf of M & S Bank for about 5 years. When I sent MDR a CCA request I got a copy of the original agreement sent to me directly by M & S Bank about 5 weeks after my CCA request. Sorry for my ignorance but would you suggest I stop paying all including Cap1 who are the original creditor? TIA
    • London1971 without divulging too much into his mental health he has issues regarding anything to do with government and so is it ok to fill the forms provided and what do I put on there  thanks  
    • Dear all, I am hoping for some advice/guidance on this matter. I received a LoC dated 12/04/24 and replied to this on the 2/05/24 disputing claim with the following reasons: 1: [Inadequate Affordability Assessment]: I contend that your institution failed to conduct a thorough assessment of my financial circumstances prior to approving the loan. As a result, the loan amount and repayment terms were not suitable for my income and financial situation. 2: [Unsustainable Repayments]: The repayment schedule imposed by the loan agreement placed an undue burden on my finances, making it impossible for me to meet my other financial obligations without experiencing significant hardship. 3: [Lack of Transparency]: Your institution did not adequately disclose the risks associated with the loan, including any potential increases in interest rates or fees over the loan term. I also added the following: Under the Consumer Credit Act 1974 and the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) regulations, lenders have a legal obligation to conduct thorough affordability assessments and ensure that loan agreements are suitable for borrowers' circumstances. I hereby request that your institution: 1: Conduct a full investigation into my claim of irresponsible lending. 2: Provide me with copies of all documentation related to the loan application and approval process, including affordability assessments, credit checks, and correspondence. 3: Cease all collection activities related to the loan until this matter is resolved. Yesterday i received the attached reply via email and it included: 1: The Original Loan agreement 2: An account statement 3: A copy of a default notice letter. The email included a link for a direct debit set up page where you enter their reference and your bank account details (looks like a standard D/D set up page) but there is nothing to indicate the amount of the D/D that I might be agreeing to. I also think two days response time is not long enough to appropriately reply. Any thoughts appreciated   Email-compressed.pdf
    • Easy to set one up on Gov.uk , search on Google.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

3 Mobile phone contract

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4540 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

A while ago i took out a 12 month contract with 3, i got 500 free txts a month line rental was cheap. When it came up to the 12month period i decided that Im happy with this deal and would upgrade. I rang up telling them id like to upgrade, i would be getting a newer phone, and i asked to keep the same contract which the person on the other line agreed too.

Anyway 1 month later after lots txting using my free txts i get my 1st bill....whammmo over £100 compared to the usual £40-£50 i normally recieve. When i checked i had been charged for all those txt messages.

So i rang them up saying im on a contract were i recieve 500 free txts. They said i had agreed to 500 free mins and that the offer for 500 free txts is no longer available. When i said the person who upgraded me asked if i wanted to keep the same deal they would have none of it. I was so un-happy i said well i want to cancel my contract then as this wasnt what i agreed to upgrade to. I was told i would have to pay the 12months line rental if i wanted to end my contract because i didnt respond in 14d ays they allow to end the agreement. I argued that i couldnt respond in 14 days because i didnt recieve my bill for a month, so how was i supposed to know i was getting charged for txts that i thought were free?

They still would have none of it and said letters would be sent,well i ignored there demands then the debt collection letters started to arrive, so i just wanted this matter ending, and paid £129 through there debt recovery group.

Now as i read some of the stories on here it makes me wonder if i could have argued my point and taken it further, or am i still able to take it further? Trouble is i dont have proof of an agreement just the phone call. But i thought all calls were recorded so surely its on there?

Any advice would be appreciated

Jack

I would have thought (probably gonna get told I'm wrong though!) that if you only agreed it over the phone then there is no proof that you started a new contract. Therefore how can they make you pay for it. If they record their calls then request it via DPA request and then you will have your evidence that you were mis-sold the new contract and shouldn't have to pay for the txts and line rental.

Ex CAG helper ^_^

T-mobile did the same thing to my wife. If it was agreed over the phone then they will have a recording of it (any company you call nowadays records the conversation as a point of reference). Ask them to prove that you agreed to this new tariff or you will consider the contract void. Either they will have to back down as they don't have evidence (unless you signed a new contract), or they will have to produce the recording agreeing to the texts and not minutes.

If money is the route of all evil, I must be a Saint

This EXACT same thing has happened to me

I was thinking of getting a cheaper contract andi understood my contract is up in may, phoned to clarify the date,, they told me no, november its an 18 month contract. Dont remember this, so asked for a copy of the credit agreement told to call dialaphone. ( did so, thats another story)

I then called 3 back, and the contract that I got was 100 free texts a month. they told me yesterday that they are charging me £5 for it. NO meniton of this on the bill they simply get called inclusive texts. I remembered that I was paying 10 for 100 free texts too, so cancelled that but the fiver for 75 is compeltely new to me, I KNOW i was told they were incuded, which is wh yi thought it such a great deal in the first place.

3 are saying that dial a phone have missold, I actually dont think they have I think its 3 thats taking the pi55 here.

Cancelled them anyway, as of yesterday, but have I got any comeback?

Letter has been sent today asking for a full refund of £129.15 I also asked to terminate there action with the debt collection agency and to remove any inserts regarding this account from my credit file.

I have given them 14 days to take action, after that i have advised another letter before action will be sent, they will have a further 14 days, then i will take the claim to court.

Ive sent it recorded delivery so they cant give me any excuses for not recieving the letter

Il keep you all posted:)

• 4 weeks later...

They have rang me up today from some call centre in india.

They basically said I wouldnt be able o have the refund because what I owe is a charge for cancelling my contract during the 12 month period.

When i explained i had been mis-sold a tariff and the 14days to change/cancel the contract was unavailable because I didnt know I had been put on the wrong contract until I got my bill a month later.

I said conversations are recorded and they should listen to them. Then i got some rubbish saying the contract is closed and that information is not available, so i said if its closed how come you still have information of when I have rang you, and payments I have made....no asnswer. Then the usual rubbish of well you should have explained it to our team and we would have helped put you on a correct tariff, I said I did all this and they refused, because i didnt do it during the 14day period.

I asked to speak to a supervisor and was told they were busy and they would call me back.

So now what, apparently I dont owe a line rental fee, but a cancellation charge.

Any thing I should say to them to scare them, Ive mentioned court action but sounded like she was reading off a script, should I mention any other groups, offcom etc?

Any help would be grateful

Jack

I work for a mobile phone company myself and I deal with upgrades. All calls are recorded but only tend to be for "training purposes" - however, with legal matters these can also be used to defend the company. If they cannot prove their side of the story, then if you were to take legal action, surely they would be in trouble. They should also be FSA Regulated - which basically means you can't get tricked into things over the phone. You should still have been sent a copy of the airtime agreemt with the phone - these days a verbal signatire is taken, a piece of info like your place of birth is normally taken.

Hope that helps!

I've been doing proper market research for a firm, and I can say as fact,

When they say your call MIGHT be recorded, it actually IS being recorded, but they don't want to upset you. Guess what they use to record your conversation??

That's right, it's all done digitally using a PC. So you could try telling them you will request the information under the DPA if you have to, and use one of the template letters for the banks. It would need tweaking, but the principal is the same.

I have seen a lot of posts on here where people have asked for transcripts of conversations. You are right when you say that conversations are recorded digitally using computers so therefore under the DPA, surely you are entitled to either copies of the recordings or transcripts. This would help in this case where you haven't physically signed a contract for a mobile phone - it has been done verbally. Surely if they lost a copy of a paper contract - they would have no proof of an agreement.

Some supervisor from the call centre..rang me the other day basically going through the same thing as the other lass. I explained my story loads of times, he just kept going on and on. Turns out the £129 is for calls/messages i didnt pay for before my contract was terminated(say 2months of bills) but he said i owe £29.50 and this should be paid immediately, i said so what about copies of the conversation, being sold the wrong tariff etc if i pay this then thety can deal with it! yeah right!

Another thing though that really got me was when i pay this outstanding amount, i might then have to pay a cancellation charge because i ended my contract early!!

What a joke, so i pay this off then your gonna charge me again!! Told them i wouldnt pay it because there in the wrong. They said that details of this conversation are not available because i ended my account, so i asked why they still have records of my phone calls, bills, account details if my account ended??? then i said the contracts void then if you cant prove it, then he said when i pay this outstanding amount, and if i am charged then to call back and they can deal with it. I was asking why cant you deal with it now, why do i then have to go through the same process of chasing you lot about.

Grrr they do your head in! think il send the £29.50 in the post and charge £29.50 admin fees, il give them a cheque for £0 haha

I would write to them telling them you will not pay. If they don't have any record of your calls because the account has been closed, then there can not be an outstanding amount. If you owe them £29.50 then your account must be active, and they should have a record of your calls proving you were right. It might be worthwhile adding a sentance about writing to OFCOM complaining about the way they are handling your account and their lack of professionalism whilst dealing with you.

I would definately write though, it will act as hard evidence that you are trying to resolve the matter, unless you are going to start recording your conversations.

But I'm no legal expert.

If I were you I actually would write to OFCOM and to Watchdog - I'm sure they are compiling many horror stories about 3. As the previous post said, I wouldn't pay anything but write to them demanding that they prove their side of the story first.

As you were mis-sold the contract, they shouldn't have to charge an early termination fee - however they will probably require the handset returning to them as until you complete a full 12-mth contract, the handset is technically their property.

In the phone company that I work for, I had to do this a few weeks ago. A customer had been mis-sold a contract and the phone call hadn't been recorded becuase the call was made before the system had been installed. So the only choice we had was to terminate her contract early without charging the termination fee and asked the customer to return the handset.

You still have rights, even if you have sold your soul to the devil and taken a contract up with 3 haha.

• 1 year later...

I have had a problem with 3. I got called up regarding an upgrade when my contract had nearly finished. I asked for the sony ericson w880i. I was advised that the newest Sony Ericson would be sent to me. When I recieved the phone it was not the one I requested and called 3. They avdvised me that if I had opened the phone I could not return it. The box was already opened when I recieved this. I advised them of this and was told I could not send the phone back. I started to use the phone but it was faulty and the battery kept dying on me. I rang them up to complain and was told it was my fault and I must be on the internet all the time!! I advised them I was not and they told me I could send the phone back and they would have a look at it but I would be without a phone for a couple of weeks depending what is wrong with the phone. I told them I was not paying for a contract when I didn't have a phone they advised me I had to. I stated that I wanted to to cancel the contract and send the phone back. They told me I could not send the phone back as I was out of the 7 day money back guarntee. I asked to lower the contract so I could pay the 18 month contract off and they advised me I could not lower the contract until 6,9 or 18 months into the contract! I was not advised of this even though on the website it states you can higher or lower your contract at anytime. I looked into this and issued a letter with my phone and quoted the below as I was not aware of the 7 day money back

Consumer Protection (Distance Selling) Regulations 2000

Traders who deal via distance-selling schemes are required to advise you that you have a seven day period within which you can cancel your order (for any reason) and get your money back. Failure to provide you with this (and other) information may be a breach of the Regulations and can have the result of extending the cancellation period by up to three months.

They called me up today and advised that that does not apply to them as I was told about the 7 day money back and could have sent the phone back when I rang and disputed it wasn't the phone I requested even though I was told I could not. They stated that 'in their notes' it says that I was advised of this. I requested the notes along with a recording of the conversation adn I got told they are not allowed to issue recordings to customers but the notes are right as they check them against the recordings (even though previously in the conversation he told me that the recordings could not be found!). I was then told that I cold not lower my contract until the contract was up so I queried about the 6,9,18 month contract lowering I had been told before but was told that I had not been advised this! I asked about the website advsing you could lower it on there and my question went unanswered. I also got told that even though I have sent my phone back as my account is still active they are sending the phone back to me. I told them I do not want the phone and wish to cancel the contract and was told I could not do this. I also advised that I would not accept the phone and would return it to sender and they replied that they would call me up again to see what the problem was!!!!! AAARRGGHH! I advised them if they do this they are in breech of harrasment and I would seek legal advised against this and they just advised me that that is there company proceedure. An answer to most things! I'll let you know how it goes.

total BS, I have managed to change my tariff on at least 3 or 4 occaisions in a 12 month period. The rule is when moving down a tariff you can only go one step down and you can do this once per month, I had no problem doing this at all, I even managed to get them to jump 2 tariffs as I had been promised the month before that I could drop to a particular one. Generally speakin their deals are good, they are now not unbeatable but if you do end up with 3 then tread cautiously as their Customer Care is dire at best.

HSBC (£3722.80) MCOL Filed 12th June 07

transfered to Horsham County Court AQ dispensed with but fee still payable. AQ fee payed and added to claim. Case allocated to small claims track - due to be heard 30th August 07 - 2nd Nudge to DG sent (04/08/07)

Virgin Media (Complete Incompetance and refund of bank charges) - Letter to MD Customer Care - sent 24th May 2007 - resolved, refunded and 9 months free TV

British Credit Trust - VT to be started

• 1 month later...

Hi I have never posted on this site but have found it helpful so thought I would let people know that I have just cancelled my contract with Three with no charges incurred Woo Hoo! I am now a very happy Three customer.

My issue was that within my house the mobile signal is constantlly switching between 3 and Orange, which is fine but it uses up the phone battery big time (I had been with 3 for nearly 3 years but only recentlly found out why my phones had such a poor battery life) so I phoned them up and tried to cancel within my 14 day trial and then they say "have you personalised the phone?" which means "did you put the sim in it"? I say yes and they say that I cant return it. My written contract doesnt mention this clause but apparenttly they play you a recorded message that says this but I didnt really listen to it.

So I have written lots of letters to the CEO (Kevin Russell) and to the customer services in Glasgow but still havent recieved a reply. Someone did leave me a message over the weekend wanting to talk to me about my account so I phoned back today and of course I am talking to someone in India, I tell him the same old things and he says I will have to pay the early termination fee (over £400 in my case) so I said i wanted to speak to his manager and he told me the manager will say the same thing but I insisted anyway, the manager comes on, I describe my problem and make it crystal clear that it is a network fault and not a phone fault and low and behold he cancels it for me!

So my advice is ASK FOR A MANAGER! then things get done.

Also anyone coming to the end of their contract and is happy with theyre phone and service just tell them you cant afford it and eventually they will offer you something very very cheap just to keep your business. My mate now pays £30 per year for 500 minutes and 100 texts on a twelve month contract!

So for anyone who is having poor battery life and doesent know why or if your coming to the end of your contract and would like to pay a lot less money this could be very useful.

i'm not sure what to do with my 3 contract, i'm having some difficulties with them where they gave my details to another company (inc, bank details) i have asked to cancel my contract but they are going to charge me £220 because they say that i am on a 18 month contract, but when i signed up with them i signed up for a 12 month contract. I cannot afford to pay that sort of money but then i cannot afford them to give my details to other companys who can take money out of my account without my authorisation. i need some help what should i do?

This would have been better started as a new thread - however you seem to have melded a few different issues here. Did you buy the contract from? Who has taken these details and removing money from your account? There are a number of instances that the information you give can legitimately be passed to third parties - phone insurance is a good example of this. However, your contract will clearly state the minimum term 12 or 18 months, so you need to refer to this to see what you agreed to.

Virgin are now offering 6 month contracts, so the swing to longer commitments appears to be receding.

• 2 weeks later...

Well just to add my disgusting experience regarding '3'

About twelve months ago, I purchased a second hand Nokia N80 phone. It was locked to 3. I telephoned them asking for an unlock code. They said it was a contract phone registered to the guy who sold it to me. I contacted him and he kindly called them and told them he had sold the phone. Because he had only just got it, they said the contract was not complete (in timescale) and so they would not unlock it although they acknowledged that the phone was sold. So, I bought myself a pay-as-you-go 3 card and soldiered on. Now, twelve months later and having just been given a works account with O2, I called 3 to get it changed. No problem I thought, its been mine now for almost a year.

Got put through to the disgusting call centre in India. Lady I was speaking to was totally unhelpful and was obviously reading a script. She said I had to contact the seller and get him to call them again! Now trying to get hold of someone you bought a phone from a year earlier is doubtful if not impossible. I told her this wasn't possible but told them they obviously had a record of the previous notification which she admitted. She refused to help any more. I asked to speak to her manager. Her manager was terrible. Abrupt and rude. She spoke over me, interrupted me, and was just unhelpful. I told her I wanted the name and contact details for the executive in charge of customer services. The director or board person in overall charge. She quoted a guy named Bob Fuller. The only email she would give me was customer servicers at 3. Now if she is to believed, then her boss is Bob Fuller and she doesn't have a telephone number or email for him. When I checked, Bob Fuller retired in June as CEO of 3. So even this was out of date. I then emailed the exective office asking for direct information only to be told they had forwarded my email to customer services! I have now tried some random variations on the executive teams emails to see if they arrive. I sent out 6 and four bounced back immediately so there is hope for the remaining two!

All I want to do is use my phone outside the awful 3 network!!

This would have been better with starting a new thread, but I don't see what your problem is. You've no 3UK contract, you use a pre-pay SIM, so you have no obligation to them. Since the guy that sold you the phone was under contract (and presumably didn't pay 3 for it) you didn't have good title to the goods anyway.

If you are looking for an unlock code so that you can use any SIM card in it, you don't seriously think 3UK would willingly give it? You need to seek out an unlocking service, the BB5 unlock for the N series has been out for a month or so now, so do a web search and you'll be off and running.

With due respect Buzby; the individual 'purchased' the phone from 3uk with but didn't like the phone. He continued (in my understanding) to pay for his contract with them and possibly still does - I have no way of knowing. I used the 3uk payg sim so as to allow him to finish his contract which was what was suggested by 3 about a year ago. I wasn't happy but there you are.

Over that period he had paid well above what would be required in a court of law to retain the phone (how many times has a phone company taken an individual to court to regain a phone?). In my understanding this individual PURCHASED a contract service, as part of that service he was given a phone. It wasn't rented or leased it was a part of the contract hence the term used in their adverts "FREE". Not "Free as long as you have your contract with us and then you return it". As far as I know, Ofcom ruled in 2006 that 3uk were not acting properly in their contractual agreements regarding unlocking phones.

I did a web search and it didn't turn up anything except that you needed to get the unlock code from the network provider.

What the original purchaser did or didn't do is of no relevance to the situation you find yourself in. You said he sold it to you after getting it, so clearly he had not discharged his obligations to the network. Therefore your continued use of this device was dependent on 3UK continuing to let you use it. If he had stopped paying for the contract, or said it had been lost or stolen. your pride and joy would have been blocked on the IMEI register and just a pretty paperweight. Your battle would then be with the guy and NOT 3UK for your money back.

As to the 'FREE' phone, it has been established that the word is conditional any adverts claiming this need to be linked to an indication of a contract requirement.

A locked phone has a lesser value than an unlocked one, and the network operators even up to March 2007 couldn't generate the unlock codes so well were they protected. But as I noted earlier, BB5 unlocking is now possible. I'm not permitted to link to anyone offering this service, but search for Nokia BB5 unlock.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4540 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks