Soffit had asbestos. i paid removal, but a nationwide company wont complete my work without a clean air/reoccupation certificate. their inspector says site still contaminated - help moving fwd

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 457 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hopefully this is the best place for this question.

Last summer I agreed to have some outdoors work carried out by a nationwide company. Mainly because sales kept on at me, multiple calls, best price Etc. As they are promising a six week installation time, I thought, just go with it, get it done. 

They took a 25% deposit with the rest to be paid upon completion. Well, this is when the problems started.

Trying to get it booked in, nobody calling me back, people on holiday Etc. Surveyor comes out and takes a sample of soffit and report comes back and says it’s crysotile asbestos.

Delays, delays, no quotes provided for removal, just that it would be thousands. To try and hurry things along, I asked them if I could get it removed. Yes they said, but we would need a clean air/reoccupation certificate.

All the companies I called said they could not supply this as not applicable as outside work. I booked a company in to remove it. Received a call from original company as installation date was coming up the following week. Advised it was booked in the following week but would not be able to get the clean air certificate.

He said ok and asked me to email the details of the company I was using which I did. I told him it was being done Monday morning on the phone and reiterated this in the email but received no response. Work was carried out to remove the cryosotile Monday morning, company then called me after the work was completed advising that they would still need the certificate! 

Eaves now exposed, company trying to get me to pay for a clean air/reoccupation certificate for £515 on an already expensive delayed job. I asked for a refund and then they said they would pay for the inspection.

They then send someone to inspect, they said no point in air test but carried out visual inspection. Apparently, there were flakes of asbestos in the cobwebs and therefore the site was contaminated. Bear in mind that she picked said flakes out with her bare hands and no mask on or anything.

Company now reported my removal company to the HSE and refusing to do any work.

Where do I stand now with this from a legal perspective please as feel I was missold in the first place with unrealistic fitting timescales.

Many thanks 

• dx100uk changed the title to Soffit had asbestos. i paid removal, but a nationwide company wont complete my work without a clean air/reoccupation certificate. their inspector says site still contaminated - help moving fwd

dunno not my bag sadly.

i've updated the thread title to attract attention to the issues.

the site is always rather quiet this time of year.

dx

• Thanks 1

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi

Has that company actually reported the removal company you employed to remove this asbestos or have they just told you this i.e. do you have proof of this

Also did the individual that came out to do this supposed Clean Air Inspection actually show you any Identification?

Why would any individual that is doing a clean Air Inspection after Asbestos Removal do a visual inspection state there are flakes of asbestos while touching them with there bare hands with no protection then state the area is contaminated and also not take any flake samples to be tested to confirm it is asbestos.

The Company that carried out the Asbestos Removal couple of questions:

1. Was the Company a Licensed Company for Asbestos Removal with HSE?

2. Once the Asbestos Removal was complete were you given any paperwork?

3. Have you informed this company of the actions of your contractor and the supposed clean air inspection and they are reporting them to HSE as they state the area is contaminated?

Now the Contractor that you Employed to carryout the works to your property that is causing numerous delays in the works this asbestos issue now making matters worse I would be contacting them and asking them the following:

1. The full Company Name of the Company they Employed to carry out the Clean Air Inspection of your property and for the individuals name that carried out said inspection.

2. To be provided with a copy of the Clean Air Inspection Report carried out on your property.

3. The Individual that carried out this inspection stated no need for an Air Inspection so only carried out a Visual Inspection in front of you and stated their were flakes of Asbestos which that Individual was touching said flakes with there bare hands and also did not take a sample of said flakes to be tested.

4. The Name of the Individual at HSE that you have reported the contractor I employed to remove this asbestos as I wish to inform them of the actions of the contractor you employed to carry out this clean air inspection otherwise I will report this to HSE myself.

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

They have just told me that they have reported them. I haven’t seen any evidence of this.

The company that came to do the inspection were called CASS and were at my property for about 25 mins.

They did not show my id but that was the company name on the van. They did take a flake away that she picked out but I have not been allowed me to see the report or had my question answered regarding removing it with bare hands. 

When I got the company to remove the asbestos I simply told them what type of asbestos it was in the report and they came and removed it.

I have been provided with a proper disposal certificate from them.

They have since been back and hoovered out all of the eaves so there are no cobwebs remaining.

Only other thing that concerns me is that the guttering on the bays also appears to be asbestos (not sure what type) and a couple of the downpipes but installation company have failed to mention or test this? 

Sorry, I believe the company was actually called Casa that carried out the inspection.