PCN for stopping on zigzag school markings

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 481 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi 

here for a bit of advice...

I dropped my wife off at the school one lunchtime stopping for a few seconds on the zigzag lines outside. I thought that the zigzags were only operational in the morning and afternoon for drop-off and pickup but got a PCN from Waltham Forest showing my car stopping and a sign with the times (8am-4pm).

There were no signs on the road as I approached the school, nor any directly outside the school and as I turned right into another road to do a u-turn I didn't pass the sign that is shown on the PCN.

I have appealed the PCN as there were no signs displaying the times when the markings were operational other than the one further up the road which I didn't pass (there were also no signs saying that CCTV is being used but I believe that this is ok for school markings).

Just wondering what my chances of winning the appeal would be and also if I should fight it further should Waltham Forest turn down my appeal.

Thanks for reading and any advice welcomed! 

there are NO time limits or any signs that can ever apply to school zone zigzag lines. they are operational 24/7?

WWW.DRIVING.CO.UK

Yellow zig-zag lines on the road are most often seen outside schools, yet many motorists are still unsure as to what they mean.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Thanks for the reply @dx100uk. Most school zigzags that I have seen all have a sign with the operational times. The ones outside the school that I received a PCN for are 8am-4pm so they're not 24 hours.

From what I've read white zigzags are 24 hour, yellow ones need to have a accompanying sign indicating the operating hours to be enforceable:

https://www.drivingtesttips.biz/yellow-zig-zag-lines.html?amp

My issue is that there should be sufficient signage to show the operating hours so that cars approaching from any direction are aware of the operational times.

I think that this is a just reason for appealing the fine but wanted to get the opinion of others with more experience.

The yellow zigzag line marks the area of the road where parking is prohibited, as it is reserved for another purpose. Therefore, we often see these markings at bus stops or loading and unloading areas. In other words, it is forbidden to park with any vehicle.

White zigzags are commonly found either side of pedestrian crossings. They are designed to indicate that parking and overtaking in these zones is strictly prohibited.

Does anybody know for certain whether the website linked to by @Another Rob is correct?

It says:  

• YELLOW ZIG ZAG LINES WITHOUT SIGNS
  • Yellow zig zag lines without signs to accompany them do not have a Traffic Regulation Order giving the local council powers to issue PCN fines. Therefor [sic] it is technically legal to park on yellow zig zag lines without signs at any time.

However, these zig zag road markings are placed there to advise motorists not to wait or park on these lines for the safety of children and although the local council do not have the powers to enforce penalties, police frequently issue tickets in such cases.

Tickets are issued on the grounds of causing an obstruction to either other motorists or pedestrians and not for parking on the yellow zig zag lines directly.  Yellow Zig Zag Lines (drivingtesttips.biz)   (Bits underlined and in bold my emphasis)

I'm surprised it seems to be saying that local councils can't issue parking tickets but the police can for obstruction etc.  I'd have thought school zig zags were no parking 24/7.

Did @Another Rob get a police ticket?

(Nb - As they can't even spell "therefore" I suppose the rest of the site might be rubbish too... )

Hi @Manxman in exile no it wasn't a police ticket - it was a council one using cctv. It may well be that the site I quoted above is talking rubbish(!) but I've found a few that seem to say the same thing:

WWW.THESUN.CO.UK

WE all want to avoid the frustration and costly expense of a parking ticket - but the problem is, sometimes it’s hard to know what the rules are whe

WWW.MANCHESTEREVENINGNEWS.CO.UK

This is what the law says about parking near a school entrance and on yellow lines

WWW.ETA.CO.UK

What can be done to tackle parking outside schools that is inconsiderate and and downright dangerous?

but I have no idea if they are correct or not.

The point I'm trying to raise with the council is that the particular zigzag line that I stopped on was not 24 hours and had operating times (8am-4pm), however there is insufficient signage to advise drivers of the fact - there's a single sign further up a dead-end road that most people including me would not see until a PCN arrives with a photo of it on there. 

To be honest I can pay the fine, but I see it as another case of a local authority trying to trick drivers into supplementing their coffers. If this was really about protecting school children crossing then they would have signs further down the road (before the zigzag lines) to advise drivers not to stop.  

• Thanks 1